PDA

View Full Version : Gay With An E

test

mr soul
07-12-2011, 07:46 AM
This record has started to get a lot of plays in the UK...what's SDF's take on it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEEdD7jHfJU

milven
07-12-2011, 08:28 AM
I like it. But I was completely surprised when I clicked it and it started playing Ain't No Mountain. Is there any significance to the title "Gay With An E" ?

paladin
07-12-2011, 08:53 AM
Its different, cool, heard some things in Marvin's vocals I hadn't heard before.

soulster
07-12-2011, 12:28 PM
Yeah, what's with the title of the thread?

kenneth
07-12-2011, 12:38 PM
That's the title of the A side. If you watch the "video," it eventually changes the image to the A side of the single.

I thought the remix was interesting, nice to hear Tammi's voice, but I didn't think it particularly added any new dynamics to the original.

milven
07-12-2011, 12:42 PM
That's what I meant. What is the significance of the song being called Gay With An E ???
I do understand why the thread is called that since it is the title of the song being discussed.

mr soul
07-12-2011, 12:51 PM
I like it myself & as far as I can make out it was released in 2009...naturally it's starting to light up the dance floors here in the UK & therefore the vinyl price will no doubt shoot up...I assume the title "Gay With An E" is a nod to it's origins...as it has more than a sampling of Marvin & Tammi...I was wondering whether or not it is legal.

bradburger
07-12-2011, 05:16 PM
Interesting.

Personally, I prefer this remix: -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1xt5XIyzMs

Seems it was issued on an Ashford & Simpson set according to some of the comments and not done by the poster.

Cheers

Paul

robb_k
07-12-2011, 08:26 PM

That's what I meant. What is the significance of the song being called Gay With An E ???
I do understand why the thread is called that since it is the title of the song being discussed.
Marvin's family name was spelt "Gay". His early unnumbered release on Tamla was spelt "Marvin Gay". Maybe it refers to the original spelling of his name?

milven
07-12-2011, 09:22 PM
That is a very logical explanation Robb. I could not associate what the title Gay with an E had to do with the song, but now it makes sense.

mr soul
07-13-2011, 02:12 AM
Is there some significance about the title or was it called that just to conceal that it's identity as "Ain't No Mountain High Enough". I notice the disc shown although only a promo has no writer credits.