PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Diana Duet

test

Koach
07-07-2011, 10:29 AM
I know she's done a few over the years. Which happens to be your favorite? Mine is Dreaming of You with Lionel Ritchie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YOvF73PivY

jobeterob
07-07-2011, 11:01 AM
I'd probably take I've Got A Crush on You with Rod, My Mistake and Love Twins with Marvin and a song I consider a duet, Manhattan with Florence Ballard.

reese
07-07-2011, 11:09 AM
STUBBORN KIND OF FELLOW [[with the Supremes and Tempts)
MY MISTAKE and INCLUDE ME IN YOUR LIFE [[with Marvin Gaye)
ALL OF YOU [[with Julio Iglesias)

theboyfromxtown
07-07-2011, 11:12 AM
Diana Ross and Marvin Gaye - The Things I Will Not Miss

It has a charm that I find irresistible

RossHolloway
07-07-2011, 11:31 AM
Try It Baby - Supremes and Temps.
Then - Supremes and Temps.
I'm Gonna Make You Love Me - Supremes and Temps.
Funky Broadway - Ss & Ts
Don't Knock My Love - w/ MG
My Mistake - w/MG
You Are Everything - w/MG

stephanie
07-07-2011, 01:15 PM
My Mistake - Diana and Marvin
Why Must We Fall in Love - Supremes and Temps

Im sorry Reese I cant stand All of You but it was a big hit so what do I know.

rovereab
07-07-2011, 01:47 PM
You Are Everything - Diana & Marvin
Why [[Must We Fall In Love) - Diana, Supremes & The Temptations

and this live duet which shows real empathy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlIx0lbl3iQ

Eamonn

jobeterob
07-07-2011, 02:03 PM
Another of my favourite Diana Duets was Funky Broadyway with Dennis Edwards. A bit of a strange match that worked very well.

westgrandboulevard
07-07-2011, 02:13 PM
rovereab

Absolutely agree on 'Why [[must we fall in love)'...it's all in the way her eerie voice comes in with "Baby, the air that I breathe you will take when you leave....."

Absolutely electric, and makes the hairs on the back on my neck stand up each time I hear it.

Diana at her inimitable, unbeatable best........

rovereab
07-07-2011, 02:29 PM
rovereab

Absolutely agree on 'Why [[must we fall in love)'...it's all in the way her eerie voice comes in with "Baby, the air that I breathe you will take when you leave....."

Absolutely electric, and makes the hairs on the back on my neck stand up each time I hear it.

Diana at her inimitable, unbeatable best........

So with you on this WGB - I also get the same reaction at the beginning of You Are Everything where she sings "You are everything ooooooh...."

Eamonn

skooldem1
07-07-2011, 06:38 PM
Well my top vote would have to go to the dynamic duo of Diana Ross and Diana Ross....ahem...Bertie Pickett on "Forever Young". You can never have too much Diana, right? LoL.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6K9wO1RQv0

Endless Love
I'm gonna make you love me [[Sups/Tempts)
Stop, Look, Listen
No matter what you do

A very recent favorite is Diana Ross and Marvin Gaye "The Things I Will Not Miss". Top notch.

stephanie
07-07-2011, 08:22 PM
I forgot about the Bertie Pickett thing! I have to say Diana Ross has an instinctive talent when it comes to acting. There are times that I wanted to dislike her years ago and when I would see things like this I would change my mind. This clip did more for me than anything she did in the Wiz! I used to wonder if she thought she would look like this. When I would see her do duets I was just not into them but this one is great!

smark21
07-07-2011, 08:39 PM
One of my faves is when she sang I'm Gonna Make You Love Me with Stevie Wonder on Hollywood Palace.

I liked her parts on I Got a Crush on You, shame Rod Stewart, who has no innate talent to sing standards, was her partner.

I don't consider Manhattan a duet...Flo is singing behind or in unison with Ross; that's not a duet. A more proper Supremes duet would be either Sunset or Falling in Love with Love, both of which I enjoy as I like the contrasts in Diana's and Mary's voices.

Diana's duets with Marvin are good, but they don't have the chemistry of Marvin and Tammi. My Mistake is my favorite.

Of the Tempts duets, Try It Baby is my favorite.

jeff9nyc
07-08-2011, 12:21 AM
I'm Gonna Make You Love Me - Supremes and Temptations
Why Must We Fall in Love - Supremes and Temptations

uptight
07-08-2011, 01:41 AM
I could listen to the entire Diana & Marvin album [[the original LP track sequence).

Be A Lion - w/Ted Ross and cast of The Wiz
Endless Love - w/ Lionel Richie
I'm Gonna Make You Love Me - w/ Temptations
Respect - w/ Paul Williams and cast of TCB

supreme_lady
07-08-2011, 03:11 AM
Mine are:-

Dreaming of you [[Diana Ross and Lionel Richie).

You are everything [[Diana Ross and Marvin Gaye).

My mistake [[Diana Ross and Marvin Gaye).

Big bad love [[Diana Ross and Ray Charles).

No matter what you do [[Diana Ross and Al B Sure).

Roberta75
07-08-2011, 11:52 AM
My favorite is You are Everything with Marvin.

Glenpwood
07-08-2011, 02:02 PM
this is like asking me which child is my favorite so I am gonna go off the records [[Literally LOL) and pick her duet cover with Jamiroquai of Upside Down at the Brit Awards. I always thought EMI should have released it and got her another UK Top 10. Watch it at the link below....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNjahtzJ1Lo

thisoldheart
07-08-2011, 07:16 PM
think it is quite obvious there is NO chemistry between marvin and diana. sounds to me as if they phoned in that half baked effort. but, how could anyone follow tammi [[or valerie). love watching marvin and tammi sing together. that's chemistry!

jobeterob
07-08-2011, 07:23 PM
I dont know that I agree about the Diana and Marvin duets; that's how most duets were recorded.

And I'm sure the Diana and Marvin outsold all the Marvin and Tammi albums put together plus some ~ although some of that had to do with timing.

thisoldheart
07-08-2011, 07:57 PM
@jobeterob - true, that's how must duets are done, but do you think, despite sales [[wonder if you are right - it would a shame if all m&t undersold just one iffy m&d album) that most people associate marvin with tammi, kim, and mary, and diana ross with lionel ritchie [[endless shlock! ... and i am no diana hater by any means.)

smark21
07-08-2011, 09:37 PM
I dont know that I agree about the Diana and Marvin duets; that's how most duets were recorded.

And I'm sure the Diana and Marvin outsold all the Marvin and Tammi albums put together plus some ~ although some of that had to do with timing.

As I like to repeat ad infinitum around here, just because it sells well doesn't mean it's good, or in the case of Marvin/Diana vs. Marvin/Tammi that Marvin/Diana is better because it might have sold better at the time. But I'm sure by now the Marvin/Tammi hits have outsold the Marvin/Diana recordings as Marvin and Tammi have credibility and a legacy as a musical team.

carlo
07-08-2011, 11:18 PM
And I'm sure the Diana and Marvin outsold all the Marvin and Tammi albums put together plus some

I doubt that.

honest man
07-09-2011, 04:47 AM
1 don't knock my love 2pledging my love[what a powerhouse vocals by the duo]3 stop look listen ......4 my mistake was to love you,oh ran over the 3 will have to pick the whole album. must be in the top 10 motown albums off all time, this album i have played ever since it's release and still do ,fantastic, hope one day thet release the seperate vocals from this album on deluxe issue.DIANA AND MARVIN ARE TOP OF THE CLASS ON THIS ALBUM.Cheers.

rovereab
07-09-2011, 10:01 AM
Looking at this video and the sections with Diana and Marvin together, I do feel that there was a good feeling between them - just look at the smiles and the way they look at each other. I guess it just didn't happen in the studio for the reasons we all know about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVlbbk4SPC4

Eamonn

RossHolloway
07-09-2011, 11:19 AM
Does anyone know if Diana and Marvin toured together behind their album/singles? Or if they ever sang any of thier songs together on tv during this time frame?

RossHolloway
07-09-2011, 11:27 AM
Looking at this video and the sections with Diana and Marvin together, I do feel that there was a good feeling between them - just look at the smiles and the way they look at each other. I guess it just didn't happen in the studio for the reasons we all know about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVlbbk4SPC4

Eamonn

Even after all these years, that video is still hard for me to watch. It still breaks my heart.

florence
07-09-2011, 02:09 PM
You Are Everything - Diana & Marvin
Why [[Must We Fall In Love) - Diana, Supremes & The Temptations

and this live duet which shows real empathy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlIx0lbl3iQ

Eamonn

Wow! Just beautiful.

florence
07-09-2011, 02:11 PM
Quite amazed at how many mentions for My Mistake with Mavin.

Apart from dueting with herself at the end of Touch Me In The Morning I would go for:

You Are Everything - Marvin Gaye
Uptight - Supremes & Temptations

uptight
07-09-2011, 04:35 PM
Does anyone know if Diana and Marvin toured together behind their album/singles? Or if they ever sang any of thier songs together on tv during this time frame?

I'm pretty sure they never toured or sang at live venues for this album. They were each doing their own things in life and starting their own families. And I hadn't heard of them singing the songs on TV together.