PDA

View Full Version : Report from someone who was there at Florence Ballard performance for Joanne Little

test

stephanie
07-05-2011, 12:01 PM
I emailed one of the members of the Deadly Nightshade that backed up Flo at her solo performance in Detroit and here is what she said.

Remove PostStephanie Campbell
I have a question for the Nightshade. Do any of you have any pics you can post when you performed with Florence Ballard. If you dont can you tell us how she sounded in your opinion when you did Come See About Me with her?
15 hours ago ˇLikeUnlike ˇ

The Deadly Nightshade Band Stephanie, I forwarded this to Pam, who remembers the most about Flo. I remember a lot about that date, but Pam had the most interaction with Flo.

Also, have you been in touch with Lily Tomlin? She was the overall
headliner for that show, and she may have some memories or even some photos.

All the best, Anne
9 hours ago via ˇ UnlikeLike ˇ 1 personYou like this..Pamela Robin Brandt Hi, Stephanie! This is Pam.
53 minutes ago ˇ LikeUnlike.Pamela Robin Brandt Oops. I didn't mean to enter that. Oh, well. I don't have photos, but I do have a copy of the program from the event in Detroit. As to the rest: Awhile ago I sent a note to Karen Spencer telling pretty much the whole back-story of what went... on when we played back-up for Flo, and I posted it here, too. I can send you that [[in a private message, so not to bore everyone by repeating it here). But as to Flo's actual voice? She was phenomenal. The three of us Deadlies had all read how she was originally supposed to be The Supremes' lead singer [[and was) before the powers-that-be at Motown decided that the more kittenish voice of Diana would be more commercial. But we were NOT prepared for what a powerhouse Flo was vocally. And it wasn't just that her voice was strong, either. Plenty of singers have good voices and can belt a song. But there are a few singers, very few, who can actually lead a whole band with their voices. The way they sing is so evocative it sort of dictates the whole arrangement, what the instrumental feel of the song should be-- honest. And if you're a player who really listens to the whole band [[including the singer), rather than just robotically playing what you always have or reading off sheet music, it's like that kind of singer is telling you what you ought to be playing. Well, I've only played behind two singers in my whole life who were like that. And one was Flo. The Deadly Nightshade had played "Come See About Me" and "Back in My Arms Again" for years, but when Flo lit into Come See, my bass part changed-- like, almost by itself! it's hard to explain, but the way I always played bass for the Deadlies on Come See had a lot of sustain and dirty slides and stuff, but Flo sang with such explosive percussiveness, almost like another rhythm instrument, that I followed her into it, playing more clean and staccato... like on the Supremes record, actually. I'd have thought the song would've needed a drummer for that to work [[which we didn't have-- just an electric guitar, an amplified acoustic guitar, and an electric bass plus taps on my boots). But no. Flo's voice alone did it. She was the most inspiring , exciting singer I've ever backed up... totally in tune, too, so it was really fun to and a cinch to sing back-up

stephanie
07-05-2011, 12:21 PM
Here is more:

Flo did lack confidence-- off-stage. I think our experience with her backstage before the concert, from when she showed up for soundcheck that afternoon and refused to sing anything except "I Am Woman"-- no Supremes, absolutely, but also nothing else; she'd practiced that one song and wasn't willing to chance anything else-- shows that.

Onstage was a whole different story, tho. Maybe not so much at first, during "I Am Woman", because however much she had practiced singing to Helen Reddy's record in her home, she had never performed it for an audience, and you really have to do that, repeatedly, to be comfortable enough to make a song your own and do it like you own it.

Also, I'm sure it didn't help that we [[The Deadly Nightshade) had never played the song before. I have no idea why she thought we'd know it. Maybe she knew we were feminists, and just thought all bands of women who are feminists must play the thing? Beats me. Actually, we did write some "message" songs, but they're largely funny; basically we believed more in delivering messages through the seat of people's pants, you know? And the concert's organizers has only asked us if we knew Supremes songs. Which we did. And much other Motown/old soul. But we had only figured out "I Am Woman" earlier that day, when Flo said she was walking unless she could do that song and only that song. Onstage that night, the three of us were reading from the charts we'd made that afternoon, in fact, because "I Am Woman" has a zillion chords and changes keys a few times, too. So all around, it was a little dicey.

But once the immense crowd was applauding Flo after that song, and she was feeling how much they all supported her, she got her mojo back-- especially once she was singing the songs she had refused to sing before, but which WERE hers.

You'd never have known that she hadn't been the lead singer on Come See or Back in My Arms Again.

soulballad
07-05-2011, 02:29 PM
Thanks for the info! This gives a fresh perspective from someone who was there.

stephanie
07-05-2011, 04:09 PM
What really makes me happy about this is that when I heard Flos solo album and knew the voice of The Supremes at the Copa and all of the hit singles and the early soprano [[Kiss of Fire, I Hear a Symphony [[live), Make Someone Happy, Intro to Stop in the Name of Love) and then heard her voice on her unreleased CD and granted the soprano was not there the same voice was there just some shlocky productions. I thought well she has been through so much in life and didnt sing for a while maybe they just gave her a standing ovation because they felt sorry for her because she was a former supreme and maybe she didnt sound that good. We as fans did not know anyone who was there [[or at least I have not seen any photos or seen any reviews) and to hear that she sounded this good from a female musician who can write and read charts and knows music I was elated to hear this. I was prepared for the worst since she was a musician or a private email [[this is on the wall by the way she didnt send it and say dont tell anybody) saying Flo was adequate but she really wasnt that good. Or she was ok on this song but not great on that song. You can imagine my heart skipped a beat when I read this and I am hoping that maybe in the future someone else who was there would give or has heard an opinion. There is someone on a yahoo board who posted that they saw her solo show and all they said was she was well received when she opened for Bill Cosby. She didnt sing any Supremes songs [[the poster couldnt remember what she sung) but he or she said she got many handclaps so during this solo gig Flo must have put on a decent show. I do remember on one of the Ross boards several years ago someone said they saw her do Doesnt Matter How I Say It on some local detroit show and he said he was not impressed with her. That single is not that hard to find and neither is Love Aint Love so I am tempted to believe that the 45 must have done somewhat well locally. Before it came out on CD if you looked on Ebay or any other vinyl sites it was not that rare. Before the Internet it was so there are lots of copies floating around out there. Again I dont mean to go on a rant but I thought some people would be interested in hearing this opinion.

soulballad
07-05-2011, 05:24 PM
Florence was the kind of singer that really had to feel everything, meaning she had to feel the song, the band, the production all of it. She was also very emotional, so if someone or something upset her it would dampen her mood and then the performance wouldn't be as lively. Florence would shut down. Diana being an actress was able to act her way through it but Diana also had the company backing her. In the early days of the Supremes the energy was alive and hard working but more fun because they were doing it all together. Florence found it difficult [[most people would ) to give it 200% because she felt that she was NOT wanted and imagine being on the road for days at a time with people you can no longer trust and who might not have your best interest. I say all of this to say that the voice was still there but after having leads taken away and being turned down on records among many other things , she lost her motivation. To her honor it was very gradual where as most females her age would have walked away right from the start. After many years of Supremes and entertainment issues in general I have made my peace with the situation. It's the nature of this business. It's mostly politics and a lot of pretending and a lot of double dealing. Only the cold survives it!

marv2
07-13-2011, 01:00 AM
Great review/story Stephanie and thanks for sharing it!

marv2
07-13-2011, 01:37 AM
Here's the latest on Ford Auditorium:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVBhNimsp-8

stephanie
07-13-2011, 10:07 AM
I hate the way they act like all of these demolitions are a new chapter in life.

marv2
07-13-2011, 10:26 AM
I hate the way they act like all of these demolitions are a new chapter in life.

When in reality, they are tearing down their history that can never be regained. I always wondered why it is possible to keep and preserve buildings that are hundreds of years old in Europe, but in this country, as soon as a building becomes vacant after a few years........it's brought down! This was the last place Florence Ballard performed.

uptight
07-13-2011, 05:17 PM
There must be a huge difference between ancient buildings in Europe and the Ford Auditorium. Many modern buildings in the U.S. like Ford Auditorium were probably built on the cheap. [[Even the acoustics were not that great for the Detroit Symphony that tried to make its home there.) The demolition is overdue if the building has been unusable.

uptight
07-14-2011, 12:40 AM
In another related news spot [[from WXYZ-TV) on Youtube about the Ford Auditorium demolition, one woman who was interviewed said Diana Ross performed there. Today, while conducting research on Detroit concert venues, I came across dates that Ross performed at Ford Auditorium. It was a whopping 11 nights in January and February 1977. It must have been the "An Evening With Diana Ross" show. I know someone in my family who attended. It sounds like another key moment in history for this auditorium.

johnny_raven
07-14-2011, 12:54 AM
"An Evening With ..." was recorded at The Ahmanson Theatre in L.A.

marv2
07-14-2011, 12:55 AM
There must be a huge difference between ancient buildings in Europe and the Ford Auditorium. Many modern buildings in the U.S. like Ford Auditorium were probably built on the cheap. [[Even the acoustics were not that great for the Detroit Symphony that tried to make its home there.) The demolition is overdue if the building has been unusable.

How do you become ancient? At least the Ford Auditorium had central heating and cooling....... It was not cheaply built!

marv2
07-14-2011, 12:56 AM
In another related news spot [[from WXYZ-TV) on Youtube about the Ford Auditorium demolition, one woman who was interviewed said Diana Ross performed there. Today, while conducting research on Detroit concert venues, I came across dates that Ross performed at Ford Auditorium. It was a whopping 11 nights in January and February 1977. It must have been the "An Evening With Diana Ross" show. I know someone in my family who attended. It sounds like another key moment in history for this auditorium.

Maybe that's reason enough to tear it down! LOL!!!!!

uptight
07-14-2011, 01:52 AM
"An Evening With ..." was recorded at The Ahmanson Theatre in L.A.

Johnny, I was referring to the touring act as performed in Detroit, not the album recorded in L.A., LOL. "An Evening With..." was the name of her tour at that time -- the same act as on the album.

Thank you, Stephanie for originally posting those messages. Enlightening.

marv2
07-14-2011, 07:14 AM
There were many, many prominent acts that played the Ford Auditorium between 1956 when it opened until 1994. Diane was just one of many......

marv2
07-14-2011, 09:25 AM
What really makes me happy about this is that when I heard Flos solo album and knew the voice of The Supremes at the Copa and all of the hit singles and the early soprano [[Kiss of Fire, I Hear a Symphony [[live), Make Someone Happy, Intro to Stop in the Name of Love) and then heard her voice on her unreleased CD and granted the soprano was not there the same voice was there just some shlocky productions. I thought well she has been through so much in life and didnt sing for a while maybe they just gave her a standing ovation because they felt sorry for her because she was a former supreme and maybe she didnt sound that good. We as fans did not know anyone who was there [[or at least I have not seen any photos or seen any reviews) and to hear that she sounded this good from a female musician who can write and read charts and knows music I was elated to hear this. I was prepared for the worst since she was a musician or a private email [[this is on the wall by the way she didnt send it and say dont tell anybody) saying Flo was adequate but she really wasnt that good. Or she was ok on this song but not great on that song. You can imagine my heart skipped a beat when I read this and I am hoping that maybe in the future someone else who was there would give or has heard an opinion. There is someone on a yahoo board who posted that they saw her solo show and all they said was she was well received when she opened for Bill Cosby. She didnt sing any Supremes songs [[the poster couldnt remember what she sung) but he or she said she got many handclaps so during this solo gig Flo must have put on a decent show. I do remember on one of the Ross boards several years ago someone said they saw her do Doesnt Matter How I Say It on some local detroit show and he said he was not impressed with her. That single is not that hard to find and neither is Love Aint Love so I am tempted to believe that the 45 must have done somewhat well locally. Before it came out on CD if you looked on Ebay or any other vinyl sites it was not that rare. Before the Internet it was so there are lots of copies floating around out there. Again I dont mean to go on a rant but I thought some people would be interested in hearing this opinion.

Stephanie, Florence appeared on "Swingin' Time" on CKLW Windsor Channel 9. She also performed at one of Nixon's Inaugural Balls in 1969.

detmotownguy
07-14-2011, 10:29 AM
Marv, you are correct stating that Ford Auditorium was not built in the "cheap"; there were lights, indoor plumbing, and comfortable seating. My graduation ceremony was held there. I also saw Diane there in 1977 and the acoustics were just ok. I believe [[not 100% sure) that the Jones Girls were the backing vocals that helped to compensate fot the mediorcre sound. I think this is the show where the stage was stacked like a Hollwood Squares design.

http://atdetroit.net/forum/messages/76017/74673.html?1149501965
http://atdetroit.net/forum/messages/76017/73366.html

Roberta75
07-14-2011, 06:01 PM
Marv, you are correct stating that Ford Auditorium was not built in the "cheap"; there were lights, indoor plumbing, and comfortable seating. My graduation ceremony was held there. I also saw Diane there in 1977 and the acoustics were just ok. I believe [[not 100% sure) that the Jones Girls were the backing vocals that helped to compensate fot the mediorcre sound. I think this is the show where the stage was stacked like a Hollwood Squares design.

It was built in 1955 so it's hardly surprising that the auditorium had indoor toilets and lights.

blueskies
07-14-2011, 06:20 PM
Did any grouping of The Supremes ever perform there?

smark21
07-14-2011, 08:41 PM
What venue has replaced Ford Auditorium in Detroit for concerts? Maybe the Royal Oak Music Theatre?

Roberta75
07-14-2011, 09:07 PM
What venue has replaced Ford Auditorium in Detroit for concerts? Maybe the Royal Oak Music Theatre?

What's a Royal Oak Music Box?

Thank you.

Roberta

marv2
07-14-2011, 11:51 PM
It was built in 1955 so it's hardly surprising that the auditorium had indoor toilets and lights.

As opposed to some "ancient structures" in Europe. You have to read the thread in consecutive order to follow and understand this particular discussion. Henry Ford and family invested millions in the design and construction of the Ford Auditorium.

marv2
07-14-2011, 11:52 PM
Did any grouping of The Supremes ever perform there?

Yes, the original group did.

marv2
07-14-2011, 11:53 PM

LOL! Are you being serious? LOL! Well, there is still the Fox Theater on Woodward for one.

kenneth
07-15-2011, 12:22 AM
I haven't been there in years, but the irony of downtown Detroit is because so much of the real estate was worth very little, many of the best theatres were saved from demolition and ultimately refurbished and brought back to stunning life after having been neglected for years. The Fox is one as Marv2 points out [[and my personal favorite), Michigan Opera Theatre is another, Orchestra Hall which is owned by the Detroit Symphony Orchestra is yet another. Though some were allowed to decay until they couldn't be saved, and while some of the most lavish theatres did get demolished [[the Michigan - which became a parking lot - with its proscenium and some interior design still intact is the most famous example), many were saved. Detroit actually has an amazing theatre district now because of it. Though when I google satellite downtown Detroit, I barely recognize it especially with the old Hudson's building gone!

stephanie
07-15-2011, 12:37 AM
I am with Marv I think this is a piece of history that should stand.

marv2
07-15-2011, 01:16 AM
I haven't been there in years, but the irony of downtown Detroit is because so much of the real estate was worth very little, many of the best theatres were saved from demolition and ultimately refurbished and brought back to stunning life after having been neglected for years. The Fox is one as Marv2 points out [[and my personal favorite), Michigan Opera Theatre is another, Orchestra Hall which is owned by the Detroit Symphony Orchestra is yet another. Though some were allowed to decay until they couldn't be saved, and while some of the most lavish theatres did get demolished [[the Michigan - which became a parking lot - with its proscenium and some interior design still intact is the most famous example), many were saved. Detroit actually has an amazing theatre district now because of it. Though when I google satellite downtown Detroit, I barely recognize it especially with the old Hudson's building gone!

Oh when they blew up Hudson's back in '84, it was all over......I thought! But yet again Detroit rises. It will continue to rise ,redevelop and keep moving no doubt.

marv2
07-15-2011, 01:19 AM
I am with Marv I think this is a piece of history that should stand.

It should have been renovated. Stephanie, that building was as solid as the granite facing on it! There are other areas along the Riverfront where they could build the outdoor theater. It's costing between $ 700,000 and $ 800,000 to demolish it and it is not an easy job.

kenneth
07-15-2011, 01:21 AM
Oh when they blew up Hudson's back in '84, it was all over......I thought! But yet again Detroit rises. It will continue to rise ,redevelop and keep moving no doubt.

It's unbelievable that in all those years and with all the various proposed plans, they never could come up with a plan that was deemed marketable to save that building.

Roberta75
07-15-2011, 04:03 AM
As opposed to some "ancient structures" in Europe. You have to read the thread in consecutive order to follow and understand this particular discussion. Henry Ford and family invested millions in the design and construction of the Ford Auditorium.

Thanks for pointing that out. So it was the last place Flo Ballard performed? Wow! This historical place should definitely be saved from the demolition ball. If it's too late to save the building then a statue of Florence Ballard should be built and erected on the ground where this famed landmark once stood.

marv2
07-20-2011, 12:40 AM
It's unbelievable that in all those years and with all the various proposed plans, they never could come up with a plan that was deemed marketable to save that building.

Very unbelievable! Detroit, just like Toledo,Ohio and just about every city in the North Central region still suffers from the "Urban Renewal Mentality" that was basically thrust upon cities in the late 60's and early 70's. If a building goes unoccupied for any given amount of time.......demolish it! Clear the way just in case someone comes along and wants to invest in building a new structure....Geez!

tamla617
07-21-2011, 07:51 AM
bump............