PDA

View Full Version : Great 1959 Major Lance & Impressions previously unissued alternate take

test

robb_k
08-19-2010, 11:32 PM
I found this version of "Phyllis" on You-Tube, uploaded by our own Chess 1458. I have the original 45 from 1959 [[Mercury 71582), which has the only released version, until this alternate take came out on CD [[probably fairly recently).

Here is the link to its You-Tube page:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=wG0EIoJKBZI&feature=related [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wG0EIoJKBZI&feature=related)

This alternate take is much slower in tempo than the 45 version, and so, Major's vocal is quite different, as is Curtis Mayfield's haunting guitarplaying. You can hear all The Impressions singing beautiful harmony [[Curtis, Jerry Butler, Sam Gooden and The Brooks Brothers). The original 45 cut is a great fast mid-tempo Chicago faster "popcorn" sound, with great singing and guitar playing as well. But, I've listened to that 100s of times. And, hearing this new, slower version, is like finding a new, super, classic Chicago Soul cut [[something that I'd never expect).

Here is a scan of the 45:

For Chess 1458: The acoustics sound similar to The Impressions' VJ recordings. Riley Hampton DID some arrangements for VJ Abner Records in 1958 and 1959. The acoustics sound familiar to me [[very much like Universal Sound Studios). But, the "Music Director" on the Mercury Record was listed as David Carroll. I remember seeing his name on several Chicago recorded Mercury releases. I guess he was their Chicago A&R man during 1959 to 63 or '64. He may have been the arranger, or just executive producer.

Major Lance was only a teenager when this was recorded. He was one of the featured dancers on local Chicago TV dance show, "Jim Lounsberry's Hop". The record had some sales locally [[I bought it), but didn't get any distribution outside The Chicago Area. With such a great sound, you'd think that Lance [[and also The Impressions) wouldn't have had to wait until 1962 to have their next releases.

jsmith
08-20-2010, 02:49 AM
The full track listing for the CD this appears on .........
MERCURY RECORDS - Volume 3
A salute to Mercury Records. This features the Medallionaires, Gainors, Ivories & many others. 27 tracks.
• She's Gone - Gainors
• Me & You - Ivories
• Magic Moonlight - Medallionaires
• Too Bad - Honeytones
• If I Had A Car - Miller Brothers
• My Inspiration - 4 Plaid Throats
• I Promise - Jimmy Castor & Juniors
• Please Consider - Gainors
• Grasshopper Baby - Marie Knight
• She Belongs To Me - Paul & Dale
• Somewhere Sometime Someday - Honeytones
• Love Is True - Littlebeats
• I'll Never Love Anyone Else - Red Caps
• This Is It - Joyce Taylor
• I'm Still In Love With You - Gainors
• As Long As I Love - Marie Knight
• False Alarm - Honeytones
• I'm In Love - Ivories
• Tell Me Why - Marie Knight
• The Message - 4 Plaid Throats
• Nothing Means More To Me - Gainors
• Someone For Me - Littlebeats
• Look At Me - Marie Knight
• I've Got A Girl - Major Lance
• Try - Miller Brothers
• Honeybun Cha Cha - Honeytones
• I Know the Meaning of Love - Jimmy Castor & Juniors

It seems to be one of many doo-wop related CD's from the same source.

jsmith
08-20-2010, 03:20 AM
Another CD up on the same web site [[http://www.doowopshoobop.com/varlabel.html#anna2) .........
ANNA RECORDS - Best of - Volume 2 :Anna records was owned by Billy Davis and Gwem Gordy. Features David Ruffin, Joe Tex, Falcons & others. 21 tracks.
• This Heart of Mine - Falcons
• Beatnik Beat - Paul Gayten
• Scratch Back - Paul Gayten
• Orphan Boy - Ty Hunter & Voice Masters
• Blue Moon - Allen 'Bo' Story
• Don't - Allen 'Bo' Story
• Big Time Spender Part 1 - Bill Murray & George Copeland
• Free - Ty Hunter & Voice Masters
• Every Time - Ty Hunter & Voice Masters
• I'm In Love - David Ruffin
• One of These Days - David Ruffin
• The Hunch - Paul Gayten
• Hot Cross Buns - Paul Gayten
• All I Could Do Was Cry Part 1 - Joe Tex
• All I Could Do Was Cry Part 2 - Joe Tex
• I'll Never Break Your Heart - Joe Tex
• Ain't It A Mess - Joe Tex
• Baby You're Right - Joe Tex
• I Need You - Letha Jones & Rivals
• Hurry Up and Marry Me - Herman Griffin & Melo-Dees
• Big Time Spender Part 1 - Bill Murray & George Copeland

Was Bill Murray singing on "Big Time Spender" or was it a comedy track ??

Are these CD's legit [[I guess so if the makers can get access to unreleased Mercury cuts) ??

jsmith
08-20-2010, 03:25 AM
INFO on the Bill Murray & George Copeland track ..........
Anna 1121 ::: Bill Murray & George Copeland -- The Big Time Spender Part I .. [[Sept 1960)
features Bill "Winehead Willie" Murray & George "Sweet Lucy" Copeland.

mr_postman
08-20-2010, 03:33 AM
Both the Mercury CD and the Anna CD are bootlegs.

sunset_traveler
08-20-2010, 11:30 AM
Robb

I'm sure I will be shot down in flames for suggesting it, but are you sure it's not the original 45 played at a slower rpm?

robb_k
08-22-2010, 02:03 PM

Robb

I'm sure I will be shot down in flames for suggesting it, but are you sure it's not the original 45 played at a slower rpm?

You might have a good idea there. I guess it's a possibility, but I thought I heard a couple of places where the vocal was more different than just tempo. I'll have to listen to both back to back.

robb_k
08-23-2010, 02:57 AM
I played my tape I made off my copy of the record. To be honest, it sounds like I had my turntable going too fast [[maybe 48 RPM). My fast "version" sounds good, too. Both fast and slow sound good, just like a different song. I think that must be what happened, because I've never heard Curtis Mayfield play guitar that fast. Unfortunately, I can't check the certainty, as I have no stylus to play the record. And, unfortunately, I don't know anyone else who has the actual record [[it's dead rare). So, for now, I'll have to assume that I was playing the record slightly fast. Funny, that I've been playing the two tapes I have it on [[that I taped the same day). So, for 45 years or so, I've been listening to it the wrong way!!!

sunset_traveler
08-23-2010, 05:09 AM
Robb,

"Phyllis" has recently appeared on an ACE / Kent compilation - "Birth Of Soul, Chicago Edition", and this is the one I've been listening to. I'm sure that had there been a slower version it would have been cut in the same key [[to suit Major's natural tenor vocal range) but played at a slower tempo.

robb_k
08-23-2010, 12:45 PM

Robb,

"Phyllis" has recently appeared on an ACE / Kent compilation - "Birth Of Soul, Chicago Edition", and this is the one I've been listening to. I'm sure that had there been a slower version it would have been cut in the same key [[to suit Major's natural tenor vocal range) but played at a slower tempo.

Thanks. Did you listen to the version at the link I provided above? If so, is that the same as the one on Ace/Kent's CD?

sunset_traveler
08-23-2010, 03:28 PM
Robb,

The cut on the Birth Of Soul Chicago CD is faster and in a higher key that the youtube version referred to in your original post. As far as I can tell they are otherwise the same, although the CD version has a slightly longer fade.

robb_k
08-23-2010, 04:16 PM

Robb,

The cut on the Birth Of Soul Chicago CD is faster and in a higher key that the YouTube version referred to in your original post. As far as I can tell they are otherwise the same, although the CD version has a slightly longer fade.

AHA! THAT is my 45 version! So, then my taping from my 45 was at the correct speed, and Kent used the correct 45 version. Mercury Records must have slowed down or sped up the original recording, and then chose the faster version to release on the single. Then, people at Mercury Records not knowing which version was on the original 45, used the slower one [[maybe the only version they found?-or the first one, not bothering to look for a second)?

Can you give me a link to hear the "Birth of Chicago Soul" version? If not, can you upload a sound file of it onto this thread? Or send me an e-mail with an MP3 file? I can PM you my e-mail address.

sunset_traveler
08-23-2010, 05:20 PM
Robb,

I have attempted to use the upload attachment facility but can't get it to work. If you could let me have your email address I can send you an mp3 that way.

CHICAGOSOULMAN
08-24-2010, 09:04 PM
What a find, unbelievable. Mercury did record at Universal in Chicago almost exclusively during that time frame. David Carroll was well known around Chicago, he was Mercury's Musical Director from the early 50's to the early 60's. He also released records under his own name that were mostly dancers. He also worked with Quincy Jones while he was at Mercury. Besides Jerry Butler and of course Gene Chandler's 'Groovy Situation" Mercury didn't have a big impact on Chicago Soul Music so this record with Major and the Impressions on it is really unique. WOW.

arrr&bee
08-25-2010, 03:57 PM
This is good stuff robb,i didn't know that the major had anything out in[59]good song i hope i can find a copy of it somewhere i'm a big major lance fan!

robb_k
08-25-2010, 04:39 PM

This is good stuff robb,i didn't know that the major had anything out in[59]good song i hope i can find a copy of it somewhere i'm a big major lance fan!

It's a dead rare record. It got no real distribution or airplay outside Chicago. Other than the copy I bought, I've NEVER seen it in any other time in my flipping through literally over a million 45s between 1959 and 1972. I've never seen it on a sales list. I asked for someone who has it on SDF, two Soul music forums and a DooWop forum I frequent with major collectors [[many with 30,000+45s) and NO ONE had it [[they only sent me MP3 of the "slow" version off the Mercury DooWop CD.

You can get it on Kent Records' "Birth of Soul-Chicago" CD [[original fast version), or you can get the "mistake" slower [[but really good) version on The Mercury Records DooWop album [[the version you herd on the link). I imagine that you could pay to download the soundfile of both. IF one of the few people to have the 45 record to sell, I imagine it should go for more than $1,000.00 US.

platters81
08-26-2010, 06:25 AM
damn...in 1987 when in LA I found the Mercury 45 in Bob Brunners garage...i later let my friend have it in the UK as he was a keen Chicago collector ...i see him every week i must try to get it back off him...lol

robb_k
08-27-2010, 01:38 PM
I played the flip, "I've Got A Girl" on the Mercury CD. It is also the same amount slower than my 45 AND the "version" of that song on "Birth of Soul - Chicago CD. So, I am convinced that both cuts for the Mercury CD series were re-mastered off the 45, using a slightly slow turntable. This has resulted in producing 2 actually, very nice sounding, "new" "alternate versions". Sometimes accidents produce good things!

arrr&bee
08-27-2010, 05:16 PM
Hey robb,do you have a copy of the major's[without a doubt]?and if so what do you think of the b-side[forever]? I think it might be his best work.

sunset_traveler
08-27-2010, 05:35 PM
I played the flip, "I've Got A Girl" on the Mercury CD. It is also the same amount slower than my 45 AND the "version" of that song on "Birth of Soul - Chicago CD. So, I am convinced that both cuts for the Mercury CD series were re-mastered off the 45, using a slightly slow turntable. This has resulted in producing 2 actually, very nice sounding, "new" "alternate versions". Sometimes accidents produce good things!

I'm glad you got it resolved Robb, the slowed down flip was definitely the clincher. Just a shame I had to be the party pooper!

robb_k
08-27-2010, 09:39 PM
708Yes, I have Forever. I think it's a great cut. It was left over from Major's recording when Carl Davis was with Okeh. That's why it's so good.

robb_k
08-31-2010, 12:14 PM
We have confirmation now [[from Kent Records staff who worked on "Birth of Soul-Chicago), that there was only one master tape version of the two cuts at Universal [[owner of Mercury). The Mercury DooWop series is bootlegged, and in the re-mastering, they accidentally slowed the speed [[just as I had suspected).