PDA

View Full Version : SUPERBOWL Half Time Show

test

marybrewster
02-11-2024, 09:32 PM
Okay.....why hasn't Usher been cast in a Marvin Gaye biopic?

ralpht
02-11-2024, 09:42 PM
Someone want to explain to me what that mess was all about?

marybrewster
02-11-2024, 10:34 PM
Ralph, it's what all the kids are doing!?! Lol.

I really wasn't that impressed, but I will say, there was a moment when Usher had his shirt off and he was glistening in sweat, and it gave me a 1000% Marvin vibe.

reese
02-11-2024, 11:27 PM
I won't be running out to buy any of his cds but I thought Usher put on an entertaining show. It was certainly better than Rihanna's performance last year.

jobeterob
02-12-2024, 12:07 AM
As a reminder that time is marching on, my 7 year old grandson said “he’s taking his shirt off!”

I told him when Michael Jackson did the half time show, 99 million people watched the Super Bowl and 133 million people watched the half time show.

He said “who’s Michael Jackson?”

daviddesper
02-12-2024, 12:40 AM
I watched the two halves of the game but passed on the halftime show. I haven't seen one yet that I found that interesting. They always sound so mechanical and electronic.

sansradio
02-12-2024, 08:09 AM
@MaryBrewster, Usher and company [with the exception of Alicia Keys] definitely killed, but I think him playing MPG mightn't fly in on the big screen. Lifetime, possibly. He's definitely taken a page out of Marvin's book, though...I see why you'd say that.

And how 'bout that Yeehawncé drop? So on-brand and timely. Here for it!

ralpht
02-12-2024, 08:52 AM
David, you missed nothing. Trust me. Complete waste of time.

ralpht
02-12-2024, 09:15 AM
Mary, I feel sorry for today's kids. They have no concept of real talent. Bring back the bands for half time shows.

ralpht
02-12-2024, 09:19 AM
And when I say "bands", I don't mean Boy Bands.

sansradio
02-12-2024, 09:22 AM
Mary, I feel sorry for today's kids. They have no concept of real talent. Bring back the bands for half time shows.

Aw, come on, Ralph! I get a sense that you're not a fan of hip hop, but you can't deny that Usher is talented, now. He's an old-school showman in the mold of the great R&B song-and-dance men, IMHO. And unlike most autotuned brats these days, that mic was ON. ;)

ralpht
02-12-2024, 10:07 AM
I've got no beef with Usher or Hip Hop if done well. What I generally see from some of the acts is poor arranging. So many times {and it happened last night} a song will just end abruptly. I'm an old school musician. I believe in composition, which includes verses and choruses with maybe a bridge thrown in for good measure, AND a well thought out ending. Generally I don't see that in most Hip Hop, and don't get me started on sampling. I've been hit a few times. As far as last night's show....close but no cigar.

sansradio
02-12-2024, 10:23 AM
I've got no beef with Usher or Hip Hop if done well. What I generally see from some of the acts is poor arranging. So many times {and it happened last night} a song will just end abruptly. I'm an old school musician. I believe in composition, which includes verses and choruses with maybe a bridge thrown in for good measure, AND a well thought out ending. Generally I don't see that in most Hip Hop, and don't get me started on sampling. I've been hit a few times. As far as last night's show....close but no cigar.

Fair enough.

ralpht
02-12-2024, 11:05 AM
Thank you, Sans, for accepting my rant.

ralpht
02-12-2024, 11:26 AM
And further more.....I like Usher. He definitely is more Old School than most of his contemporaries. I would like to see him on the Super Bowl stage with a kick-ass band , and good back up singers. Then just sing to his audience. I know it would go well and he could leave the cheese behind.

Boogiedown
02-12-2024, 11:29 AM
I used that time to make a quick run to Grocery Outlet for some popcorn. hee haw !
Great finale [the game itself]!

sansradio
02-12-2024, 11:30 AM
And further more.....I like Usher. He definitely is more Old School than most of his contemporaries. I would like to see him on the Super Bowl stage with a kick-ass band , and good back up singers. Then just sing to his audience. I know it would go well and he could leave the cheese behind.

I feel ya. Personally, I got a charge out of the breakneck pace... he had 30+ years of hits to cover in 13 minutes, after all...but removing one glittery white glove was a bridge too far for me. I'm like, "I see whatcha did there. You're good, but not that good, kid. Simmer down, now.":D

Circa 1824
02-12-2024, 01:45 PM

so true… the world is so dumbed-down …

jobucats
02-12-2024, 02:21 PM
I believe Usher is indeed a very, very talented entertainer. I recall when I saw his video, "Call Me a Mack" back before he ever became popular or mainstream. I said to my friends, "This little guy is gonna be something someday." There was just an "it" factor that I detected.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gp_trV1gbk&list=RD5gp_trV1gbk&start_radio=1