PDA

View Full Version : Was there ever a Felice Taylor collection?

test

daviddesper
07-01-2011, 12:42 AM
Unusual voice for sure, but I just heard her song "Captured By Your Love" and the background singers and stringed orchestration make it a great record, much better than "It May Be Winter Outside" in my opinion. Was there ever a collection issued by her or is one perhaps planned?

robb_k
07-01-2011, 01:00 AM
Would they find enough of her recordings for a decent sized CD?

ady_croasdell
07-01-2011, 01:10 PM
There were two US Mustang sides and one UK only, three Kent/Modern sides, two UK only and two unissued. That's all I know of which would make ten, just enough for a US vinyl LP!

If anyone knows of her whereabouts we'd love to speak with her.

Ady Croasdell Ace Records

mark speck
07-02-2011, 12:08 AM
I thought she had moved to the UK some time ago, Ady?

Best,

Mark

roger
07-02-2011, 02:42 AM
Its funny to think that her U.K. chart hit "I Feel Love Coming On", which got to #11 in the autumn of 1967, was never released in the U.S. and it would be nice to have it on C.D. [[ The version of "I Feel Love Coming On" on the "Boss Soul, the genius of Barry White" C.D. that Del-Phi released a few years back is a completely different take. )

This is the "Boss Soul" C.D.

http://www.amazon.com/Boss-Soul-Genius-Barry-White/dp/B000009NAO

And this is the U.K. released Hit version of "I Feel Love Coming On" ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWkblWaIpWI

Of course not many people are likely to buy a C.D with only 10 or 12 tracks on .. would there be enough VIOLA WILLS tracks available to create a "Barry White's Girls" collection? That could stir some interest.

Roger

splanky
07-02-2011, 09:40 AM
I have to agree with robb k, I doubt there is that much more available from Felice to fill out a decent collection.
I have that Boss Soul cd and Viola later releases were really a little too... shallow for me. I'd be a lot more excited about
an "absolutely complete Love Unlimited " release. That group was Barry's masterpiece...

rovereab
07-02-2011, 01:46 PM
Just listened to the Youtube link for I Feel Love Coming On and give the massive similarity to the Motown sound I wonder if the Funks were the band? Does anybody know please?

Thanks.

Eamonn

stephanie
07-02-2011, 01:54 PM
Here is a clip of Miss Felice singing wow! She reminds me of Diana with the wig.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AQeUjmgkXc&feature=watch_response

roger
07-02-2011, 03:07 PM
Just listened to the Youtube link for I Feel Love Coming On and give the massive similarity to the Motown sound I wonder if the Funks were the band? Does anybody know please?

Seems unlikely Eamonn .. it was a BARRY WHITE production and no doubt recorded in L.A.

Roger

luke
07-02-2011, 03:20 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loYTCjWcchI Per Wikipedia and youtube it looks like she would have enough for a cd collection. Here is Under the Inluence of Love pre Love Unlimmited!!

robb_k
07-02-2011, 06:41 PM

Seems unlikely Eamonn .. it was a BARRY WHITE production and no doubt recorded in L.A.
Roger
It sounds like Motown because White used most of the same regular L.A. session musicians that Hal Davis, Marc Gordon, Frank Wilson and their Motown L.A. crew used in the mid '60s.

copley
07-02-2011, 07:45 PM
I only know of 7 Felice tracks so not enough for an album unless you include the two sides recorded as The Sweets & one as Florian Taylor. I've never heard the last three.

luke
07-02-2011, 07:53 PM
Yes and as the latest Darlene cd includes Blossoms. And if Ace or whomever does it Im sure they can find unreleased stuff.

copley
07-02-2011, 08:32 PM
Good point Luke. I think that Felice fell off radar many years ago. I hope that she's well and happy.

splanky
07-03-2011, 07:23 AM
It also sounds like Motown because Barry White and his original label owner Bob Keane shared a fascination with the sound
and sucess of the Motown organisation. As much as Felice insists she was just singing in her own voice I'm almost sure
the similiarity of her tone and phrasing to that of Diane Ross was a big selling point on their use of her and looking back I
don't think the comparisons of Glodean White to Wanda Young are without substance either...

On a side note, I'd love to know just who are the background singers on Felice's I Feel Love Comin' On. I
know Patrice Holloway and Edna Wright were used in some of the sessions but I'm not sure if they are on this track. Whoever they
are they are killing!....