PDA

View Full Version : La Toya Tells All About Jacko

test

jobeterob
06-30-2011, 05:59 PM
La Toya Tells All About Jacko
Michael Jackson’s elder sister details her turbulent life of beatings by her Svengali husband, allegations of abuse against her father, and her superstar brother’s conviction that someone would kill him. Allison Samuels talks with the singer about her new book, 'Starting Over.'
June 24, 2011 2:11 AM EDT
La Toya Jackson may have a childlike voice when she speaks, but the words that flow from her mouth as she describes her turbulent life as a member of one of the world’s most famous entertainment families are anything but childish.

In her new book Starting Over, the 55 year old shares more than a few salacious details about her life as a Jackson. From the iconic singing group that made the family a household name to the father she once accused of physical abuse to the tragic death of her beloved younger brother, Michael, Jackson attempts to set the record straight on the controversial, outlandish and sometimes damaging comments and behavior that plagued her past—while defending the somewhat dysfunctional family she now clings to steadfastly.

“I started writing this book before Michael passed because I’ve wanted to start my life over for a while now,’’ she says. “I had to, because there were a lot of things I didn’t like about where I was and I knew I had to change them. Like a lot of women, I had to make the decision to do whatever it took to get to a different place.’’

As with her brother, Michael, and younger sister, Janet, the majority of La Toya’s life has been an open book for anyone even vaguely paying attention. Decades before the onslaught of weekly gossip magazines, blogs and entertainment websites appeared, the trials and tribulations of the most famous African-American family from Gary, Indiana, never seemed far from the evening news.

While she didn’t attain even half the megasuccess her two younger siblings enjoyed, La Toya did manage to make a modest mark on the entertainment world with regular appearances on her famous brother’s television variety show in the 1970s and by singing backup for Michael on the bestselling album of all time, Thriller. She would later release a few solo albums of her own that featured Michael on background vocals and offered the music charts minor hits like "The Heart Doesn’t Lie," and "If You Feel The Funk."

As Michael’s star continued to shine ever so brightly during the ‘80s and early ‘90s, Latoya, with her signature braided headband, appeared content to hover in the background, comfortable with "OK" but not remarkable record sales and happy with budding romances with the likes of Prince, and Diana Ross’ brother, Chico.

“Michael always said he was going to be murdered.’’

” Joe Jackson didn’t share her feelings, and in 1987 the Jackson patriarch hired Jack Gordon to co-manage and jumpstart his daughter’s lukewarm career. It was downhill from there, according to the singer.

“Those were some of the darkest days in my life,’’ remembers La Toya. “I was a prisoner. He took my passport on one out-of-country trip, and I couldn’t escape from his control or his abuse for years. I was afraid for my life almost all the time. No one should have to live that and I know so many people do.’’

Marco Prosch / Getty Images

Jackson holds little back as she recounts in Starting Over the brutal beatings she says Gordon regularly inflicted on her at a whim. Black eyes, swollen lips and other cuts and bruises on her body were the norm when she looked at herself in the mirror, the singer claims—so she stopped looking. Brain-washed and beaten down, Jackson says, she followed every instruction Gordon gave her, no matter how humiliating or degrading, allegedly to avoid being brutalized again.

La Toya says those instructions from Gordon—who at one point called the abuse of the singer “self-defense”—often included acts that were polar-opposite to everything the long-time Jehovah’s Witness believed in. Among them was posing topless for Playboy magazine in 1989. Her photo spread became one of the most popular in the magazine’s history, selling 8 million copies at the time and turning her into an overnight sex symbol.

While some might argue that, at least for a time, Gordon’s less-than-conservative methods gave Jackson the popularity bump her father desired, she says that hidden from the public and even from her family, was Gordon’ s deep desire to destroy both her family and the relationship she had with them.

“He wouldn’t allow me to see them or talk to them at all and if I left him—he threatened to kill Michael and Janet," says La Toya. “My family knew something was wrong, but they couldn’t know how bad it was because I couldn’t tell them.’’

After what she calls a forced marriage to Gordon in 1989, Jackson released the controversial autobiography La Toya: Growing Up In the Jackson Family, a particularly vicious account of her childhood as well as a crucifying portrait of Joe Jackson as a child abuser. She says she now regrets making such accusations, even though both Janet and Michael subsequently offered similar accounts of their demanding father.

“I was young then and had a lot of people in my life that didn’t need to be there,’’ says La Toya. “So l lashed out at my father, both of my parents really, because of things other people said. Failing to understand that my parents did the best they could for us. They were the best parents they could be to us and that’s all you can ask.’’

Still, the accusations against her father would not have the lasting impact of the allegations she later made about Michael in the midst of his first sex abuse trial in 1993. In a press conference Gordon—who died of cancer in 2005—arranged in Tel Aviv, La Toya read a statement claiming to believe the charges against her brother, and added that she had proof she would disclose at a later date for a fee. She never did.

“My family and Michael knew that that wasn’t really me talking,’’ La Toya says. “I never believed for a minute my brother was guilty of anything like that. When I spoke to Michael about it years later, he told me he knew it wasn’t me saying those things. I didn’t even have to explain it to him—he wouldn’t let me. You have to know how good that made me feel. He always knew it wasn’t true.’’

Still, La Toya can’t help but wish she could have done much more for her superstar brother, who she says feared for his life many years before his actual death from acute Propofol intoxication at age 50 in 2009.

“He always said he was going to be murdered,’’ remembers La Toya. “Not just before he died, but years before he died. He always said someone was going to kill him.”

She admits that initially she didn’t believe her brother’s claims and dismissed them for a time.

“I honestly didn’t believe what he was saying because it didn’t make sense,’’ she says. “He didn’t know or wouldn’t say exactly who was going to do it, and I couldn’t tell if it were a feeling or something more. So I didn’t know what to do. I mean what do you do when someone says that to you?’’

In the new book, the singer describes hearing news of Michael’s death and immediately remembering his eerie warning to her about his future. “I just kept hearing his voice and those words over and over again. It sent a chill up my body.’’

She also reveals the chaotic scene at his house the day he died and the alleged disappearance of millions of dollars he kept at home at all times. Michael Jackson’s death was later ruled a homicide.

Many have speculated that Michael Jackson never would have completed the grueling 50-concert stand in London that he’d committed to. La Toya agrees he would not have—and maintains that he was not well. She says his health was intentionally lied about to the insurance companies—so others around him could make money.

This weekend, Jackson will be “Auntie La Toya" and spend time with Michael’s three children and other Jackson family members as they mark the second anniversary of Michael’s death. The children live with their grandmother, Katherine Jackson.

“The children are doing so well,’’ says La Toya. “Michael put masks on them to protect them and to keep them safe from anyone who wanted to hurt him. He’s gone now. The first thing my mother did was say to them, Today we’re unmasking you. Today the masks come off.' "

La Toya says she’s getting to do something her late brother wanted more than anything else.

“I’m getting the chance to start my life over and Michael so wanted to do that too,’’ she says. “He never wanted to sing or perform again. He just wanted to direct films, television and videos. He was going to do what he wanted finally after this tour ended. He was going to get out of the spotlight completely and do his own thing. He just never had the chance.’’

Like The Daily Beast on Facebook and follow us on Twitter for updates all day long.

Allison Samuels is a senior writer at Newsweek. Her work has also appeared in Rolling Stone, O, Essence and Vibe magazines. She's also the author of Christmas Soul, published by Disney/Jump At the Sun, and Off The Record, [[Harper Collins/Amistad).

For inquiries, please contact The Daily Beast at editorial@thedailybeast.com.

BayouMotownMan
06-30-2011, 07:25 PM
Yet another Jackson family member cashes in on the fate of her tragic brother. I don't buy her excuses. She sold Michael to the wolves for the money. Nuff said.

Jimi LaLumia
06-30-2011, 07:28 PM
tacky, sleazy gossip!...can't wait to get the book!

stephanie
06-30-2011, 09:55 PM
its not that I dont doubt Latoya its just that she could have gone home. Her family said she was welcome to come home and with all of their security how was this man going to kill her family? Breathtaking.

Jimi LaLumia
06-30-2011, 10:18 PM
Fabulous!!

supreme_lady
07-02-2011, 03:51 AM
Thank God Diana had remain loyal to Michael, she doesn't feel the need to use his name in public as a comback, So very true. I would probably say the same thing if I were her. NOTHING! She basically said all she needed to say in her message at the memorial and during her concerts. All the details sadly aren't our business. All we need to know is that they loved each other dearly.

I too hate how everyone is cashing in on Michael's death; even his own family members. Jermaine is about to release a book, Latoya has a book. Those two have always been after every dime they could get from being related to Michael. The poster is right the only person anyone wants to hear from is Diana, at least if she were to write a book or do an interview you know it would be coming from her heart and not because of money.

Date Posted: 19:48:39 06/30/11 Thu
Author: jeff
Author Host/IP: 208.54.37.223
Subject: CLASSY

As I was watching diana's stint on oprah again-I could not help but think how much class she has overall and especially in not publicly talking about micheal jackson-she is the one person the world really want's to hear from and instead she continues to keep her memories and respect for him for herself-while the jackson clan all planned comebacks and books trying to make a dime-not a word-and that's the way it should be!

Date Posted: 23:43:25 07/01/11 Fri
Author: Edward.
Author Host/IP: 193.35.248.121
Subject: Classy Diana's loyalty to MJ..
In reply to: jeff 's message, "CLASSY" [[http://www.voy.com/114507/4200.html) on 19:48:39 06/30/11 Thu

I couldn't have agreed more with you, Diana has always been very loyal to Michael which is one of the reasons Michael loved and trusted her so much.
You could now understand why Michael would totally trust Diana enough to name her in his WILL instead of his siblings, to take care of his kids because he knew that Diana would never betray him and will always have the best interest of his kids at heart and not use them for publicity or money.
And I believe she will always keep and cherish the friendship she shared with Michael to herself and not feel the need make a come-back out of using his name in public, unlike his so called friends and family, now that is what I call CLASSY.

daddyacey
07-02-2011, 05:37 AM
"Thank God Diana had remain loyal to Michael, she doesn't feel the need to use his name in public as a comback"

Great statement. "She doesn't feel the need to use his name in public as a comback"

She don't have to ,cause she IS "DIANA ROSS". A noun ,[[PERSON -place or thing) ,specific on the word person. In her case a personality ,well known world wide ,with the right to be considered , A DIVA [[in modern terms) ,but before all of that ,she was a little Black girl from a hard working family ,from the BREWSTER PROJECTS in DETROIT. Same as Curtis Mayfield from CHICAGOS CABRINI GREEN, same as Jay-Z and Bambatta etc came from the projects of the Bronx and Brooklyn , same as all of the major acts that emerged from the urban Black experience. It's hard to explain but you have to have lived and been a part of the cultural group of people [[Afro-Americans in this case but not exclusive) to understand that there is a basic respect or code that those that "make it out of that environment" ,have towards each other. Diana saw the talent that Michael had and I believe identified with how that talent would take him from one "world into another ,larger world. Many do not handle the transition well ,and fall to the fly by night vultures of the business that use any connection you may have to a famous person for personal gain.
I have noticed that in all the shxx that flies around regarding Mary vs Diana vs Flo and on and on ,that it's always some body said Mary said this or Diana said that about Mary, but they have NEVER said anything themselves that is negative about eah other. Thats the code. All the B.S. has come from so called fans. You don't feed into the B.S. ,when you have come through the same struggle to get ahead as others have. Rule is ,Don't forget where you came from. Diana had this kid [[MICHAEL) in her house ,saw him rise to be one of the major entertainers in the century. To capitalize on his Legacy is not an option. SHE has NOT lowered herself to be that type of ......

stephanie
07-02-2011, 06:35 AM
Its no secret that Latoya likes publicity but what I dont understand about her is that she doesnt need to talk about MJ. She was good on celebrity apprentice and was beginning to gain some credibility there. She is not a dumb woman and I have always thought she would have made a name for herself long ago had she taken up modeling and not tried to be a singer. If you watch the old Jacksons tv shows though she could dance! I saw her and MJ do a Ginger Rogers/Fred Astaire type skit dancing and she was good. Latoya could have gone much further as a personality had she gone several routes.

Its a shame I think some people think she is like Anna Nicole Smith or of the stupid persuasion and none of those Jackson kids are stupid. What they lacked in the social arena because they were sheltered they made up for it in talent. Writing books and talking about who killed Michael, and his demons is not the way to go.

milven
07-02-2011, 08:41 AM
I saw Latoya and Jermaine in separate interviews this week. [[It was the second anniversary of Michael's death). They both kept saying that Michael was killed but would not give specifics when pressed by the interviewer. Latoya told the interviewer to read the book. He said that he had read the book. She said, read between the lines.

They are both out there for the money. According to the news , there are lots of new openings in McDonald's. Let 'em get a real job like the rest of us if they have trouble paying the rent or are tired of living with mommy and daddy. Mommy and Daddy ain't gonna pay for Jermaine's hair shoe polish forever.

As for Latoya, she has lied and changed sides and stories so many times, I would not believe her if she said the world was round.

Jimi LaLumia
07-02-2011, 09:36 AM
I am a huge Ross fan, since 1964, when I was turning into a teenager;
I'm sure she loved and loves MJ,even though theirs was a 'pre arranged get together' via Berry Gordy;
but one thing I know about Diana Ross, as several decades of history reveals;
she never loves to speak about anyone other than ***DIANA ROSS*!!
[[I guess that's why I adore her...lol)

captainjames
07-03-2011, 12:32 AM
So, Mr. Jackson still can not rest in peace.
I must say I have to laugh when Latoya says "Read between the lines",,,,Naw Toy if you have something to say........ spell it out!!