PDA

View Full Version : Jill Scott has number one album in USA!

test

luke
06-30-2011, 10:03 AM
Per Billboard yesterday. Has anyone heard it?

ceasar
06-30-2011, 11:32 AM
I'm really happy for her.
I've only heard one cut, SO IN LOVE [[ not ours )
And I really like it.
Plus she is a PHILLY girl, right on.
CEASAR
THE
ORIGINAL
TYMES

Soulpower
06-30-2011, 11:35 AM
A great album. Many of the songes were written by J.R. Hutson, who is Leroy Hutson's son. I think he may have produced as well.

brother_love
06-30-2011, 11:55 AM
Go Jilly from Philly!

MIKEW-UK
06-30-2011, 12:14 PM
How proud Leroy must be about his son......seems these are good times for Leroy, when are we going to see him in the UK again?

Soulpower
06-30-2011, 12:51 PM
Yea, he's very proud .. he has groomed him well. You'll see Leroy back in the UK later this year .. Dates will be announced soon.

marv2
06-30-2011, 03:37 PM
Jilly from West Philly! Alright! This is good news. She's been putting out good, quality music for a while now.

jobeterob
06-30-2011, 04:55 PM
Excellent.

The staying power is with Adele and Jason Aldean [[who is he?) Looks like a country artist.

And I love it........Weird Al Yankovic debuts at #9 with Apocalypse. What's that all about?

Of course, for a while, you could get in the Top 10 selling 30,000 copies.

stephanie
06-30-2011, 05:38 PM
No offense I love Jill Scott but how did she get to number 1? Is she getting heavy video rotation or is it her success in the Tyler Perry movies. Just curious since I dont listen much to the radio anymore except for Sirius radio

roger
06-30-2011, 07:42 PM
Yes .. seems she is #1 on the "Billboard 200" Album chart ..

http://www.billboard.com/charts#/charts/billboard-200

Congratulations Miss Scott!!

I've heard a couple of tracks and it all sounds good to me.

Roger

daddyacey
07-01-2011, 04:06 AM
No offense I love Jill Scott but how did she get to number 1? Is she getting heavy video rotation or is it her success in the Tyler Perry movies. Just curious since I dont listen much to the radio anymore except for Sirius radio

Jill Scott IMO ,is representative of the traditional R&B artist of "TODAY" that were directly inspired by the many changes/evolution of the R&B genre that has occured over the past 50+ years. You hear it at first with the use of "REAL" instruments both old school anolog and electric. "Live" ,is more of a direct description ,in a time when samples and loops are the "norm". You hear the influence of stellar talented people from the past ,from the likes of Dinah ,Ella,Sarah and Billie for example in terms of clearness of enounciation and passed on through Nancy ,Gladys, Chaka ,Stephanie ,Melba ,Aretha ,Regina Belle and others in her vocal delivery. Ms Scott don't "coo" and ain't meally mouthed in her vocals. You understand what she is singing. She is also an accomplished writer/composer ,that blends modern Hip-Hop style with the old school vocal jazz influence of Dinah ,Ella,Sarah and Billie plus the soulfulness of Gladys, Chaka ,Stephanie ,Melba ,Aretha ,Regina. She appeals to the unique market and audience of persons that relate to the older artists mentioned [[60+) and the children of that demographic [[50-) and their children [[30-), and labeled "Neo-Soul" if only for marketing purpose in this art vs. popular commercial sales era of the 21st century. Sure she and artists like Badu and even Sade may hold the #1 spot for at most one to two weeks at a time ,but that's only because that's only the amount of time that the limited audience of persons that admire the art of those artists ,buy that product. Truth be told they are truly bad-ass talented artists, they can fuxxking
sing ,period. The industry pushes the Ga-Ga ,Rihanna ,Coles, Beyonce,Usher types in your face and calls it art to fill stadiums for "Concerts" and provide weeks of chart topping sales and ring tones etc, instead of letting a true artist perform and practice the art of Soul/R&B/ music. The Black Eyed Peas ,John Legend and others started out in the same way as Jill ,labeled Neo ,New Soul and look at what they have become. So far only Mint Condition , Anthony Hamilton, Musique and to a point Jill and Badu remain trully art driven. To make matters worse, we are now in the American Idol ,The Voice and Talent Show themed talent show "overnight sensation" era of media presentation. Image and marketing have poisoned the true expression of music to the point of you have to be a certain image that is "marketable" to be successful. Sure Sinatra ,Sammy,Dean and even Elvis made movies as well as singing back in the day,but lets face it ,they wasn't no hellified actors. Fast forward to the present day , Ice-T ,Ice Cube, L.L. ,Whitney, Ms. Ross ,[[yes I said it), aint no hellified actors ,but marketability took them to certain levels. Good music is in this time period ,hard to find. Jill is refreshing as she is not just rehased SOUL ,but still cutting edge. Just like Sharon Jones and Maxwell ,she is too good to be commercial, arena type talent for the POP minded.

paladin
07-01-2011, 08:50 AM
Ms Scott don't "coo" and ain't meally mouthed in her vocals. You understand what she is singing. She is also an accomplished writer/composer ,that blends modern Hip-Hop style with the old school vocal jazz influence of Dinah ,Ella,Sarah and Billie plus the soulfulness of Gladys, Chaka ,Stephanie ,Melba ,Aretha ,Regina. She appeals to the unique market and audience of persons that relate to the older artists mentioned [[60+) and the children of that demographic [[50-) and their children [[30-), and labeled "Neo-Soul"

Your entire post is a well thought out and meaningful answer. Well done DA, and my hats off to Ms. Scott, she is a remarkable talent.

nosey
07-01-2011, 10:13 AM
Marv, Jill is from North Philly as a matter of fact my former neighbor. Her mother and I were raised up together and still talk on the phone about once a year, just to catch up. Jill moved them out @ 5 years ago to New Jersey and I last saw her mother @ two years ago. I am thrilled with her success but there is one small thing that annoys me and some of the neighbors as well.

I saw an interview with Steve Harvey where she says her former neighborhood has no library, the rec center is closed and that's why she gives back. Not true. Our brand new library is only about 7 years old and the rec center is open and active. She wants to give the impression that she is "street" when in the 80s when she was coming up our area was one of the nicest in North Philly as we had it on lockdown. There was no gang that "protected" her that she sometimes writes about. I guess to spice up an article or to give you street cred you have to take certain licenses. She does give back to her elementary school and to the rec center and gives through her foundation, btw.

Other than that, I and my children are happy for her success.

marv2
07-01-2011, 12:16 PM
Marv, Jill is from North Philly as a matter of fact my former neighbor. Her mother and I were raised up together and still talk on the phone about once a year, just to catch up. Jill moved them out @ 5 years ago to New Jersey and I last saw her mother @ two years ago. I am thrilled with her success but there is one small thing that annoys me and some of the neighbors as well.

I saw an interview with Steve Harvey where she says her former neighborhood has no library, the rec center is closed and that's why she gives back. Not true. Our brand new library is only about 7 years old and the rec center is open and active. She wants to give the impression that she is "street" when in the 80s when she was coming up our area was one of the nicest in North Philly as we had it on lockdown. There was no gang that "protected" her that she sometimes writes about. I guess to spice up an article or to give you street cred you have to take certain licenses. She does give back to her elementary school and to the rec center and gives through her foundation, btw.

Other than that, I and my children are happy for her success.

Nosey, I lived in West Philly and got carried away trying to make a rhyme. Still I am very proud of Jill Scott and what she has accomplished. I agree entirely with what Daddy posted about her maintaining "the art".

North Philly was not to be played with either [[in some areas) as I recall. North Broad St area........