PDA

View Full Version : Good Smart Choices

test

jobeterob
11-28-2023, 11:01 PM
Not exactly a Motown/Supremes story here

I heard a Dolly Parton interview this morning; Rockstar, her new album, debuted at #1 and sold a paltry 118,000 units

Dolly said in the interview that in the 70’s she had a #1 country song with I Will Always Love You.

Years later, Elvis Presley was going to cover the song. Colonel Tom Parker called her up and said “we’re going to cover your song.” And that’s great news. But he says “if we are going to do this, you need to give us the publishing.”

And Dolly said “well, no, I can’t do that.”

And Elvis never covered the song.

What are some of the good decisions Motown artists made?

One good decision by the Motown owner was to have his own publishing company.

carlo
11-29-2023, 01:01 AM
I heard a Dolly Parton interview this morning; Rockstar, her new album, debuted at #1 and sold a paltry 118,000 units

118,000 units sold during release week, in today's music industry, is by no means paltry, especially for a legacy artist like Dolly.

jobeterob
11-29-2023, 02:41 AM
118,000 units sold during release week, in today's music industry, is by no means paltry, especially for a legacy artist like Dolly.

It’s as good as it gets nowadays - it’s just paltry compared to the multi weeks of a million plus you could get in the 90’s

thanxal
11-29-2023, 07:49 AM
Not exactly a Motown/Supremes story here

Dolly said in the interview that in the 70’s she had a #1 country song with I Will Always Love You.

Years later, Elvis Presley was going to cover the song. Colonel Tom Parker called her up and said “we’re going to cover your song.” And that’s great news. But he says “if we are going to do this, you need to give us the publishing.”

And Dolly said “well, no, I can’t do that.”

And Elvis never covered the song.

What are some of the good decisions Motown artists made?

One good decision by the Motown owner was to have his own publishing company.
You should do a thread on “Good Smart Choices” made by one or more of the Supremes over the years. Lately the ghetto is filled with nothing but criticism, disparagement, and second guessing.

sup_fan
11-29-2023, 09:53 AM
here's a controversial one

Diana made a good smart BUSINESS choice to go to RCA. she was absolutely at the peak of her career and had never been, nor ever would be again, as valuable. she followed Gene's advice and struck while the iron was hot. she had already worked VERY hard for 20 years and she got her payout. She then invested that wisely and the earnings have done her well

thanxal
11-29-2023, 10:24 AM

Diana made a good smart BUSINESS choice to go to RCA. she was absolutely at the peak of her career and had never been, nor ever would be again, as valuable. she followed Gene's advice and struck while the iron was hot. she had already worked VERY hard for 20 years and she got her payout. She then invested that wisely and the earnings have done her well
I agree, but...
ooooooohhhhh, grabbing the popcorn. LOL.

marybrewster
11-29-2023, 11:50 AM

That sure was a good business decision. Isn't it said when she left Motown, it wasn't with the millions she anticipated? I know people get pissy when you mention dollars, but.....for having a large hand in building that corporation, one would think there would be more 0's than just six.

jobeterob
11-29-2023, 12:59 PM
Otis made a good BUSINESS decision to keep the Temptations going and to a lesser extent the same applies to the FLOS.

Diana leaving and getting the advance was one of the best choices.

jobeterob
11-29-2023, 03:02 PM
You should do a thread on “Good Smart Choices” made by one or more of the Supremes over the years. Lately the ghetto is filled with nothing but criticism, disparagement, and second guessing.

It’s totally tame compared to 10 years ago

However, members are slipping away and all the topics have been covered many times

Many of the artists have passed on as have many members

jobeterob
11-29-2023, 05:25 PM
Apparently Dolly debuted at 3 on the main chart - she was #1 on some of the other charts - they have charts for everything these days, just like the Grammys

Roberta75
11-29-2023, 05:58 PM
Apparently Dolly debuted at 3 on the main chart - she was #1 on some of the other charts - they have charts for everything these days, just like the Grammys

I love Dolly Parton. A great singer and human being and shes real generous with her wealth.

Levi Stubbs Tears
11-29-2023, 09:04 PM
Dolly keeps herself in the public eye with her charitable works [[reading, vaccines etc).

Does Diana do anything charitable?

thanxal
11-29-2023, 09:10 PM
It’s totally tame compared to 10 years ago

However, members are slipping away and all the topics have been covered many times

Many of the artists have passed on as have many members
I remember it being more focused on the personalities here 10 years ago. Yes some threw mud at the artists but mostly at each other. Now the focus seems to be picking apart each and every Supreme for any reason with lots of catty and sometimes vicious comments.

reese
11-29-2023, 09:34 PM
Dolly keeps herself in the public eye with her charitable works [[reading, vaccines etc).

Does Diana do anything charitable?

She's been involved with the organization "A Better Chance". Her PSA for them aired after her Super Bowl performance and I believe it was also one of the three charities that received $ from the RTL tour.

RanRan79
11-30-2023, 12:31 PM
Flo not taking the option for a solo deal with Motown was a wise decision. It's unlikely that she would have done anything more than cut some tracks that would have sat in the vault for 30 years. At least somewhere else she'd have a chance.

Also, her decision not to take the initial settlement offer from Motown. She ended up getting much more money when she attained legal counsel. One could also make the argument that leaving- or getting herself fired- when she did was a better financial decision since she ultimately walked away from the group with more money than Mary and Diana did when the former left the group and when the latter left Motown. Of course it all ended up in the lawyer's pocket, but for a minute there, Flo made out like a bandit.

marybrewster
11-30-2023, 02:09 PM
I believe in the late 80's, Martha, Nettie, and Roz sued Motown for back royalties. I don't know that this qualifies as a good or smart choice, but having faith to go after what you are due [[and ultimately winning) is certainly a testament to fighting for what's right.

To a degree, I'd also say that Kat [[Marvelettes) going up against Larry to "win back" the Marvelettes name was a wise decision. I don't know that her touring group ever performed more than a handful of times; seemingly then wouldn't have made millions, but certainly was worth the effort to enjoy some new found "success" in her later years.

jobeterob
11-30-2023, 09:26 PM
Aside from the hits through to 1981, it was a pretty rough ride

But it must have been a privilege and honour for them all to be on the ride

Cheers to Berry Diana Smokey Stevie and Lionel for enduring and surviving

jobeterob
11-30-2023, 09:30 PM
And Otis as well

RanRan79
11-30-2023, 10:44 PM
Absolutely. And the list of Motown survivors is much longer than six people. In addition to those six, kudos to:

Mary Wilson
Melvin Franklin
Levi Stubbs
Lawrence Payton
Obie Benson
Duke Fakir
Martha Reeves
Roz Ashford
Annette Sterling
Betty Kelly
Kat Anderson
Gladys Horton
Marv Johnson
Brenda Holloway
Kim Weston
Gladys Knight
Bubba Knight
William Guest
Edward Patten
Carolyn Gill
Jermaine Jackson
Marlon Jackson
Tito Jackson
Jackie Jackson
Jean Terrell
Lynda Laurence
Scherrie Payne
Susaye Green

That's off the top of my head. I'm sure the list is even longer of people at Motown who managed to survive and ultimately thrive after dealing with such a cutthroat business.

thanxal
12-01-2023, 08:31 AM
This has turned out to be a nearly positive thread. Well done Rob!

marybrewster
12-01-2023, 11:55 AM
Absolutely. And the list of Motown survivors is much longer than six people. In addition to those six, kudos to:

Mary Wilson
Melvin Franklin
Levi Stubbs
Lawrence Payton
Obie Benson
Duke Fakir
Martha Reeves
Roz Ashford
Annette Sterling
Betty Kelly
Kat Anderson
Gladys Horton
Marv Johnson
Brenda Holloway
Kim Weston
Gladys Knight
Bubba Knight
William Guest
Edward Patten
Carolyn Gill
Jermaine Jackson
Marlon Jackson
Tito Jackson
Jackie Jackson
Jean Terrell
Lynda Laurence
Scherrie Payne
Susaye Green

That's off the top of my head. I'm sure the list is even longer of people at Motown who managed to survive and ultimately thrive after dealing with such a cutthroat business.

I'd definitely add Chris Clark to this list; moving from recording at Motown to producing at Motown [[the screenplay for "Lady" especially) paid off in spades.

RanRan79
12-01-2023, 07:36 PM
This has turned out to be a nearly positive thread.

Well it was until you showed up.:p

RanRan79
12-01-2023, 07:39 PM
I'd definitely add Chris Clark to this list; moving from recording at Motown to producing at Motown [[the screenplay for "Lady" especially) paid off in spades.

Yes, she definitely deserves to be a part of the list.

thanxal
12-01-2023, 10:11 PM
Well it was until you showed up.:p
Here comes the Judge.