PDA

View Full Version : Candi Staton & Motown

test

heikki
06-28-2011, 09:34 AM
Hi!

Tricked you, didn't I?
Actually there are many good Motown retrospect CDs reviewed and Candi is one of the interviewees at
http://www.soulexpress.net

Best regards
Heikki

theboyfromxtown
06-28-2011, 10:42 AM
Good one Heikki

*SMILE*

JimBagley
06-28-2011, 08:50 PM
Very tricky. Thanks Heikki. I got Candi's Evidence collection in the mail a couple of days ago. I wish all retrospectives of vintage soul artists were so lovingly compiled.Jim

Kamasu_Jr
06-29-2011, 03:07 PM
Very tricky. Thanks Heikki. I got Candi's Evidence collection in the mail a couple of days ago. I wish all retrospectives of vintage soul artists were so lovingly compiled.Jim

I was thinking, Candi Staton never recorded for Motown, thank God. They would not have known what to do with such a soulful singer. I, too, bought Evidence and spent an entire day listening to southern soul sung at its best. Her covers of some of country's best songs makes me wish there had been an entire album of Candi interpreting country songs her way.

JimBagley
07-02-2011, 07:06 PM
I was thinking, Candi Staton never recorded for Motown, thank God. They would not have known what to do with such a soulful singer. I, too, bought Evidence and spent an entire day listening to southern soul sung at its best. Her covers of some of country's best songs makes me wish there had been an entire album of Candi interpreting country songs her way.

Kam,I was thinking the same thing about Candi and country's best songs. Tammy Wynette's Stand By Your Man and Dolly Parton's Jolene were two of country's best known recordings, yet Candi gave them unique interpretations. Would have loved to see her do an album of country classics her way. Dorothy Moore seemed to take over Candi's place soulfully interpreting country songs in the mid-70s when Candi moved on to Warner Brothers and dance music.

Kamasu_Jr
07-02-2011, 09:17 PM
Kam,I was thinking the same thing about Candi and country's best songs. Tammy Wynette's Stand By Your Man and Dolly Parton's Jolene were two of country's best known recordings, yet Candi gave them unique interpretations. Would have loved to see her do an album of country classics her way. Dorothy Moore seemed to take over Candi's place soulfully interpreting country songs in the mid-70s when Candi moved on to Warner Brothers and dance music.

I agree Jim. We were cheated when Candi switched to Warners and stopped working with Rick Hall. Can you imagine what Candi would have done to country sings like Satin Sheets and Help Me Make It Through the Night? Puh-leese!

JimBagley
07-02-2011, 09:25 PM
I agree Jim. We were cheated when Candi switched to Warners and stopped working with Rick Hall. Can you imagine what Candi would have done to country sings like Satin Sheets and Help Me Make It Through the Night? Puh-leese!

Two great selections, Kam! Would have loved to see her tackle some of the Tanya Tucker story songs from the early '70s [[Delta Dawn, Would You Lay With Me In A Field Of Stone, What's Your Mama's Name) and other Tammy's domestic and Dolly's rural sagas.