PDA

View Full Version : So many articles lately with false facts about motown artists

test

milven
10-20-2023, 06:53 PM
I probably read three articles this week with wrong facts about Motown Artists. There was one about the Supremes that had so many wrong facts, I was tempted to start a contest here to see which member could find the most errors.

This article about Gladys Knight keeps referring to Gladys' son, Shanga Hankerson, as her daughter. :confused:

https://jstationx.com/how-old-is-gladys-knight-daughter/?expand_article=1

woodward
10-20-2023, 07:33 PM
What bugs me to no end is the ongoing sporadic reference to Berry as BARRY!!!!!!!!!!!
I see that quite often. I don't know the origin of it.

nabob
10-20-2023, 08:33 PM
Many of these writers were not around when the legacy took its roots. They are relying on the half baked truths fertilized on the internet without doing the necessary verifications to ensure they are passing on accurate information.

This is similar to the aftermath of the Civil Rights Movement where the moments for those who benefited from the legacy without living them have no understanding of the meaning and will financially support companies whose dollars fund legislation detrimental to their well being without regard for the consequences.

sansradio
10-20-2023, 08:36 PM
I chalk a lot of this misinformation up to ChatGPT. Humans aren't even writing half this stuff.

jsmith
10-21-2023, 06:36 AM
QUOTE << What bugs me to no end is the ongoing sporadic reference to Berry as BARRY!!!!!!!!!!! >>
The 2nd BG penned song that did OK in the UK was "To Be Loved" -- both Jackie Wilson's original version and a UK cover version by Malcolm Vaughn making the British Pop Top 20 [[without The M Vaughn version, Jackie's would have been high in the top 10).
ANYWAY; coz the song had done so well, the sheet music for it was published here.
The UK company involved KNEW that no one could be called Berry, so the thing was printed up as written by BARRY GORDY.
I have the sheet music somewhere here, but can't put my hand on it at present ... 21084

jsmith
10-21-2023, 06:44 AM
The sheet music in question ... from 1958 ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdzFw7y9pKk

mysterysinger
10-21-2023, 07:05 AM
So good they named him three times.

woodward
10-21-2023, 02:14 PM
So good they named him three times.

Finally some clarity on the origin of his misspelled name. It is truly amazing how this keeps popping up when you least expect it. Shows the influence of the UK on the music publishing.

Thanks for clarifying.

Sotosound
10-21-2023, 03:25 PM
The sheet music in question ... from 1958 ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdzFw7y9pKk

Like, like. :)

bob_olhsson
10-21-2023, 10:07 PM
Almost nothing about ANY artist that I've actually witnessed has been true!

jobeterob
10-22-2023, 12:34 AM
Almost nothing about ANY artist that I've actually witnessed has been true!

I love your blunt assessments

robb_k
10-22-2023, 01:44 PM
What bugs me to no end is the ongoing sporadic reference to Berry as BARRY!!!!!!!!!!!
I see that quite often. I don't know the origin of it.
The first time I saw that spelling was in 1959, when it was spelled : "The Barry Gordy Orchestra", as a credit on Robert Gordy's Bob Kayli record on New York's Carleton Records "Everyone Was there".

jsmith
10-23-2023, 03:59 AM
When I found the sheet music I posted above [[BARRY GORDY) it was in a record / music shop that was shutting down. They had 3 or 4 copies of the TO BE LOVED sheet music [[all showing the UK guy who recorded it -- he'd had quite a few UK hits ahead of his cover version). As they were cheap, I bought 3 copies of it.
Years later, I saw a piece about the Motown Museum wanting more relevant 'small exhibits', so I contacted them to say I'd donate a copy of this sheet music. I never heard back.