PDA

View Full Version : "These Things Will Keep Me Loving You" Songwriters Demo

test

mysterysinger
09-09-2023, 05:43 PM
From YouTube - songwriters demo for what became The Velvelettes "These Things Will Keep Me Loving You". Very interesting to see/hear development of the song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Oc2-ZGrcbw

bradburger
09-09-2023, 07:03 PM
Good find MS!

I meant to post this a while back, but had forgotten - just a shame it is not the whole song!

The main reason I was going to post it was to ask if anyone had any ideas who it was singing it. As you say, it is very interesting to hear the development of the song, and how different the Velvelettes version was.

This demo is more like how the Jr Walker and Diana Ross versions were based on to my ears.

Cheers

Paul

Philles/Motown Gary
09-09-2023, 07:50 PM
This should be in the Motown Forum.

milven
09-09-2023, 10:40 PM
Well, if it is the songwriter's demo, then it is either Johnny or Harvey. Can anyone tell?

bradburger
09-10-2023, 12:36 PM
Well, if it is the songwriter's demo, then it is either Johnny or Harvey. Can anyone tell?

Yes, one would assume, but it does not sound like Johnny Bristol to me, or indeed Harvey Fuqua.

[I did post a comment on the video asking if it was Harvey, but then it had been a long time since I had heard him].

Cheers

Paul

pj1
09-11-2023, 02:02 PM
It might well be Sylvia Moy, one of the songwriters.

mysterysinger
09-13-2023, 02:45 PM
The vocalist sounds male to me - but then I'm not sure I've ever heard Sylvia Moy sing.

I think it was a slightly unusual choice of song for The Velvelettes at that time - I can hear Tammi Terrell singing it and wondered whether it was originally meant for her - or even as a duet with Marvin Gaye. Still the Velvelettes did a fantastic job with the song. I wonder why they recorded 2 versions a month apart. Maybe it was a stereo album track thing but back then The Velvs never had an album - maybe this points to an album being planned?

robb_k
09-16-2023, 05:44 PM
Yes, one would assume, but it does not sound like Johnny Bristol to me, or indeed Harvey Fuqua.

[I did post a comment on the video asking if it was Harvey, but then it had been a long time since I had heard him].

Cheers

Paul
That's DEFINITELY NOT Harvey Fuqua. It sounds like it could well be Johnny Bristol, singing in a higher key than normal, to better match how Cal would sing it.