PDA

View Full Version : Renowned CNN sports broadcaster Nick Charles dies at 64

test

marv2
06-25-2011, 11:39 PM
I just saw the tribute to Nick a few minutes ago on the HBO Fights. I did not know he had been ill. Here is one story:

Nick Charles, CNN’s Original and First Sports Anchor
Full name, Nicholas Charles Nickeas. Of course he was a baby boomer born June 30, 1946… Nick Charles, a former taxi driver who became CNN’s first sports anchor, died Saturday after a two-year struggle with bladder cancer was an American sports sportscaster and journalist. He was one of CNN’s first on-air personalities and won three CableACE Awards for best sports program during his 17-year tenure as co-host of the network’s Sports Tonight.

On August 4, 2009, Charles was told he had incurable bladder cancer. He was given four to six months to live if he opted for no treatment. With treatment, he could expect about 20 months.

“I want the biggest guns you can fire at me,” he told the doctors.

He’s into his 21st month now. Each day, each hour, each breath is a gift.

He’s fought this hard for Giovanna and Cory, to build a foundation for them after he’s gone. He knows what it’s like to long for a father’s love. He only has a dozen or so memories of his own father.

“My little girl needs a good daddy more than anything right now,” he says. “This is a gift from God where I need to build these memories for her, so that I’m not a blur.”

Last month, he signed off on television for what is likely the last time after calling a featherweight fight on HBO. “Why am I doing this?” he told viewers. “To inspire others to do what they love.”

“I had a smile on my face all night,” he says now. “I was on fire!”

He’s talked with counselors and hospice workers about his final week. It will go something like this: He’ll lose his appetite first. After three days, he’ll be unable to swallow and feel like he’s drowning. His liver will stop functioning and other organs will follow. The cancer will take over completely.

He’ll be given morphine to ease the pain. As a Christian, he struggled with that concept. He wanted to make sure he wasn’t committing suicide.

“We’re not pulling the plug on you early,” he was told. “We’re just keeping you comfortable until the end.”

With those words, he says, “Peace came over me.”

“I can’t believe I feel so good about the last week of my life, but I do.”

He hopes his final words will be to that beautiful girl, Giovanna: “I’m going to heaven to prepare a place for you and … we’re going to be together forever.”

Charles has traveled to 70 countries; he has one journey left. He hopes his first interview when he gets there will be with Jesus, followed by a round-table discussion with Abraham Lincoln, Mother Theresa, Gandhi and Martin Luther King Jr.

“I’d ask them: What motivated them? What sparked them?”

When that day comes, he says, he’ll dance around the ring, his head held high, a smile on his face. “In the 12th round, somebody is going to raise my hand. I’m going to be victorious.

“I finally got my life right.”

Nick Charles’ 8 Life Tips

1. Don’t get married early.

2. Travel the world.

3. Have a love of language and literature.

4. Learn to love your own company so you’re not needy.

5. Ask yourself where do you want to be tomorrow? What about in 5 years, 10 years?

6. What do I require in a relationship? What am I capable of giving?

7. Enjoy little moments and turn them into ecstasy.

8. Fasten onto the positives of life.

You can watch a video clip about Nick Charles and the entire interview by clicking Facing Death, CNN Sportscaster Emraces Life

Be inspired, motivated and uplifted by subscribing to Baby Boomer Talk Online. Just for subscribing you will receive 2 free ebooks. To get started just click to our Baby Boomer Talk Online Subscriber Page and have the Free Daily Boomer Quote and Video delivered direct to your inbox.

Subscribe in a reader

Popularity: 5% [?]

Related posts:

1.Your Inspirational Quote Thursday April 7 2011
2.Terry Bradshaw-On Football and Life Quote
3.Top 12 Inspirational Quotes By Alabama Head Coach Nick Saban
4.Top 3 Movies About Fatherhood
5.Your Easter 2011 Inspirational Quote Sunday April 24 2011
Posted by Boomer54 Mark on Wednesday, April 6, 2011 at 12:30 pm
Filed under 8 Life Tips From CNN Sportscaster Nick Charles, Boomers & Quotes · Tagged with 8 Life Tips From CNN Sportscaster Nick Charles, bladder cancer, broadcasting, charles, cnn, cnn sports, human interest, incurable, life, mass media, mother teresa, news media, nicholas charles, nick, nick charles, six month, sportscaster, tips
Comments are closed.

stephanie
06-26-2011, 05:44 PM
So sad! RIP

stephanie
06-26-2011, 05:49 PM
I got a tear when I saw this with Nick and Mike Tyson

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Lrcy8Xopf4

marv2
06-26-2011, 06:12 PM
I got a tear when I saw this with Nick and Mike Tyson

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Lrcy8Xopf4

That is a tough clip to watch.

arrr&bee
07-04-2011, 11:00 AM
Sorry to hear of nick's passing i remember him from back in the day in d.c.good sportscaster..r.i.p.

destruction
07-16-2011, 12:40 PM
and I remember him back in BMore....before he went to D.C.....was always happy to see him moving up and onward.

thx marv.

robb_k
07-16-2011, 04:10 PM
Another tragedy. Too young to die. That's my age. And a shame to suffer so. Some day we will have cures for most of the different cancers.