PDA

View Full Version : Scherrie Payne — Losing My Mind

test

sansradio
09-03-2023, 10:15 PM
Miss Payne seems to have dropped this single quietly a couple of weeks ago with little to no fanfare. Apologies if this has reached our boards already:

https://youtu.be/BRoHuRveP1Q?si=G-0Dw5NmxEjtPwbm

TNSUN
09-04-2023, 09:34 AM
Artful song with a beautiful pathos. BRAVO and Congratulations to Miss Scherrie Payne!

RanRan79
09-04-2023, 10:18 AM
Miss Payne seems to have dropped this single quietly a couple of weeks ago with little to no fanfare. Apologies if this has reached our boards already:

Thanks for posting Sans. I hadn't heard of it. Truth be told, I watched it expecting not to like it, but I think it's actually very good. Scherrie sounds great.

smallworld
09-04-2023, 11:32 AM
I was also expecting not to like it but Scherrie puts her own stamp on it.

For those unfamiliar with the song: It's a Broadway standard from the show "Follies." The late Stephen Sondheim wrote the music and lyrics.

Dorothy Collins sang it originally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZU9CE6N_Dck

Pet Shop Boys remade it with Liza Minnelli in the late 1980s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruaZarDQfXE

marybrewster
09-04-2023, 11:48 AM
Scherrie really favors Freda in this video.

Ollie9
09-04-2023, 02:15 PM
Scherrie’s version does nothing for me, leaning a little too much towards cocktail lounge. The song sounds better with a simpler arrangement, although Minnelli makes for a fun dance number.

Circa 1824
09-04-2023, 02:30 PM
Shock of shockers …. I love it !!!!

It is so wonderful to see a person of a certain age reminding the world that love and heartbreak are not just for the young. Older people can also fall in love. Bravo Scherrie ! You are aging elegantly.

gman
09-04-2023, 02:58 PM
I wanna have Coffee with Scherrie Payne!!!!

I am not crazy about the song...but she seems to have developed nice very strong lower notes....at one point the scat was making me think of Anita O'Day...

jim aka jtigre99
09-04-2023, 06:42 PM
I have always found that fans really underestimate Scherrie Payne. Her vocals in the group, along with Mary Wilson and Susaye Greene, were perfect for the disco/dance era. Like Mary, she always had a bit of a jazz edge in her vocals. I find her rendering of this song to kind of have that edge. I happened to like it. Scherrie's voice is aging quite nicely and this was a very nice job. I believe Scherrie is now in her late 70's, so kudos to her for releasing music and choosing material suited for her voice.

BayouMotownMan
09-05-2023, 09:23 AM
Scherrie Payne turns 79 in November, Jean Terrell 78 [[virtually all music history book list Jean as being born in 1944. She was born in 46)

It's amazing to me that Scherrie still has those powerful pipes. I just hate that this is wasted as no one in the music biz would promote a veteran singer of her stature merely because of a number. But, that's show business.

gman
09-05-2023, 02:13 PM
Scherrie stated in a recent interview with Joyce also being interviewed on YT that she can't sing as well as she used to....she admits she has problems holding or cannot hit the the notes...she is working with a skilled vocal coach, her daughter....