PDA

View Full Version : Dutch group burns cover of Hill's Book of Negroes

test

jobeterob
06-22-2011, 06:35 PM
WORLD NEWS

Dutch group burns cover of Hill's Book of Negroes

A Dutch group torched the cover of Lawrence Hill's The Book of Negroes in Amsterdam on Wednesday, as a protest against the bestselling title.

The group, known as Foundation Honor and Restore Victims of Slavery in Surinam, had contacted the Canadian author earlier in June and demanded he change the title of his award-winning book, recently published in the Netherlands.

The activists vowed to burn copies of the book, published in Dutch as Het Negerboek, in an Amsterdam park unless its name was changed.

However, group member Perez Jong Loy said Wednesday that they did not burn the entire work because it's not the novel's content they find offensive, only the title.

"We are upset by the title of your book because the name you gave, it's insulting to the black community. It's an insult," he told CBC News.

He pointed out that Hill's book has been published under a different title, Someone Knows My Name, in some markets - including the U.S., Australia and New Zealand. In Quebec, the book was published as Aminata.

The group will continue to speak out against the use of the term negro, Loy added.

Earlier on Wednesday, Hill said he was "horrified by" the notion of burning books.

"I wasn't looking to be sensational or provocative when I called it The Book of Negroes. I called it The Book of Negroes to bring attention to a long-forgotten historical document and a long-forgotten migration," he told Matt Galloway on CBC's Metro Morning.

"There is no defense to burning a book. It's a hateful act designed to intimidate?It's something that stifles dialogue and the notion of the freedom to read and to write."

soulster
06-22-2011, 11:14 PM
An overreaction! I have no problem with the term "negro", as long as it's kept in perspective. After all, how many of our birth certificates say "negro" on them? Mine does. Shall we now change the name of the United negro College Fund? And, what about the offensive term "colored"? Why has no one called for the NAACP to change it's name?

robb_k
06-22-2011, 11:20 PM
Well, this really hits home to me, as I am both Canadian and Dutch, and have spent a large part of the formation of my personality among The African American community, and also have several Dutch friends who are also Surinammers or of Surinaamse descent.

I can understand that the Canadian author didn't really understand the connotation of the word "Neger" in the Dutch language. But, it is similar to the derogatory "Nigger" in English. I don't understand why the title was changed to "Someone Knows My Name" for USA, Australia and New Zealand, and changed also for French Canada, and, yet, not changed for the Dutch-speaking countries. Someone didn't do his homework. I think that the author and publisher should [[now that they know the sensitivity of the issue) take the hint, and change the title [[despite the added cost).

I am an author, published in some of those countries, and I would eat that cost and take a bit less profit, first to avoid offending and belittling people, and also to avoid the deliterious publicity being associated with my name.

jobeterob
06-23-2011, 12:40 AM
Such a shame too considering the nature of the book.

The book was a huge hit and is about, centrally, a lady named Aminata............and somehow, despite it's topic [[the slave trade), evokes humanity and hopefulness, mainly because of this lady. It's been a while since I read it, but everything awful happens to her and she never loses hope.

I've always thought the title was odd; the author is a descendant of the United Empire Loyalists that settled in Nova Scotia.

I've given this book to many people to read.

Has anyone here read it? It is excellent.

theboyfromxtown
06-23-2011, 03:43 AM
Nope......but we're reading a book called Nujoord in our French class.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nujood_Ali

It's about a Muslim child of about 10 years old who gets forced into marriage and divorce. Its an upsetting story but it's been fairly easy to get to grips with the issues without the need for references to the word negro. The population in general do not like words being used that are likely to cause offence....so they are avoided.

ms_m
06-23-2011, 03:44 AM
During my lifetime and in polite society I have evolved from being Colored to Negro to Black to African American to Person of Color and of course, all derogatory terms in between. Be that as it may, I find it curious a group of Dutch citizens would be offended by a term that was once considered quite acceptable in the West, while one of their own stands trial [[and was just acquitted) of hate speech and discrimination towards minorities. I would think they would be more offended by far right Dutch Politian, Geert Wilder. Ironically, during the verdict I didn’t see any protest but did see lots of cheers.

On a side note, the author, Lawrence Hill is of mixed race. His father was Black and his mother was White. Both were American immigrants who moved to Canada after they were married.

Lawrence Hill — Biography

Lawrence Hill is the son of American immigrants — a black father and a white mother — who came to Canada the day after they married in 1953 in Washington, D.C. On his father's side, Hill's grandfather and great grandfather were university-educated, ordained ministers of the African Methodist Episcopal Church. His mother came from a Republican family in Oak Park, Illinois, graduated from Oberlin College and went on to become a civil rights activist in D.C. The story of how they met, married, left the United States and raised a family in Toronto is described in Hill's bestselling memoir Black Berry, Sweet Juice: On Being Black and White in Canada [[HarperCollins Canada, 2001). Growing up in the predominantly white suburb of Don Mills, Ontario in the sixties, Hill was greatly influenced by his parents' work in the human rights movement. Much of Hill's writing touches on issues of identity and belonging.

http://www.lawrencehill.com/bio.html

robb_k
06-23-2011, 03:01 PM

During my lifetime and in polite society I have evolved from being Colored to Negro to Black to African American to Person of Color and of course, all derogatory terms in between. Be that as it may, I find it curious a group of Dutch citizens would be offended by a term that was once considered quite acceptable in the West, while one of their own stands trial [[and was just acquitted) of hate speech and discrimination towards minorities. I would think they would be more offended by far right Dutch Politian, Geert Wilder. Ironically, during the verdict I didn’t see any protest but did see lots of cheers.
http://www.lawrencehill.com/bio.html

The group of Netherlanders that is protesting the use of the word "Neger" in the title happen to be very black-skinned people from Surinaam, who are the descendants of West African slaves. They object to the use of that word, because they or their parents have been referred to using that word in a derogatory manner. It is the equivalent of the dreaded "N Word" in USA.

ms_m
06-23-2011, 04:13 PM
robbK let's start with a few facts. The Book of Negroes is a fictional story about the journey of a young African woman who's name ended up in the Book of Negroes.

Although the characters are fictional, The Book of Negroes is an actual historical book. As an author I would think you would want to remain true to facts and accuracy so changing the name of a historical book should not be an option.

The book title is spelled Negroes...not "Negers." If it was spelled differently in the Netherlands, that's an issue that should be taken up with the publisher in the area and not the author.

After doing research, I discovered the name change in America has a rather dubious past. [[imo) Supposedly the publisher assured Mr Hill the name would not be a problem but suddenly claimed after speaking with "intellectual Blacks," the title would need to be changed. I personally find that dubious since an intellectual and literate Black would know of the Book of Negroes or would have researched it the moment they saw it referenced in the the story and as a result, would not have a problem with the title since they would understand the context. Which brings me back to context.....context is everything and the Surinaam over reacted. I still find it curious considering the far right movement and politicians over there.

They are offended by a Canadian book writer's title that is histrionically accurate more than one of their own politicians who admits to hate speech and discrimination against minorities as his right to express himself freely? .....really?...what ever!!!

ms_m
06-23-2011, 04:22 PM
The historical Book of Negroes
http://www.blackloyalist.com/canadiandigitalcollection/documents/official/book_of_negroes.htm

ms_m
06-23-2011, 04:30 PM
One more thing, I'm an old broad who grew up in the South. Negro means Black in Spanish. As a kid, calling me Black would have been offensive for that time....times change, so should people!

robb_k
06-23-2011, 04:54 PM
I agree that if the story is based on an historical English-language book with the English word, "Negroes" in its title, the title should keep the word "Negroes," even in The Netherlands, as almost all readers there [[certainly most who would be interested in such a book) read and understand English.

The difference from the situation in USA, Canada and in The Netherlands is that in The Netherlands, Neger stands both for "Negro" and the much more offensive, "Nigger". However, The Surinaamers should be able to understand the context of that situation. For those who don't read English, a context explanation on the book jacket for the Dutch publication would work best.

ms_m
06-23-2011, 05:04 PM
I guess a footnote could have been applied but before going to such an extreme measure [[burning a book cover) I would think they would have done the research themselves.

There is something about the entire matter that seems contrived to me, especially since they didn't have any problem with the content. Maybe it's just an over active imagination on my part or maybe it's my reaction to Geert Wilder who seems more of a threat than the title of Mr Hill's book.

shrugs

jobeterob
06-23-2011, 06:15 PM
Thanks Robb and Ms. M. for your informative comments.

Generally, Ms. M had me convinced but with Robb's last post, I understand there may be some sensitivities that I don't understand.

Thanks for the explanation of The Book of Negroes.........if that is explained in the book, it went over my head and I did not understand what it was until Ms. M's post.

I have always been a little bit uneasy about the title and feel more comfortable about it now.

Yesterday, I made a comment to a younger friend about Oprah Winfrey seeing the Supremes on TV in 1964 and running to her family yelling "colored people on TV, colored people on TV". And while he found it amusing, his comment was what a shame it was that she should be moved to do that as a young girl and to refer to herself by reference to her color.

Things have changed a lot.

robb_k
06-23-2011, 07:12 PM
"published in Dutch as Het Negerboek"-Yes, Ms. M. the Dutch title IS offensive. The Surinaammers should have taken up the problem with The Dutch publisher, and requested the "translation changed". It is NOT a proper translation, due to the dual meaning in English. The Dutch publisher should have kept the English name, and explained the context. Clearly, The Surinaamers wanted the larger publicity of the book-burning rather than the little or none that would have accompanied a polite protest to the Dutch publisher. They want The World to know that they are still being treated with prejudice after more than 300 years as colonials [[and much of that as slaves).

I agree that Geert Wilder and his like, and their views are dangerous. But THAT is what The Surinaamers are protesting against by refusing to tolerate the hated word in any context.

ms_m
06-23-2011, 07:34 PM
I don't see how one is equivalent to the other RobbK.
Wilder makes no secret about his intentions or his feelings whereas Hill's book, was nothing more than a title based on historical documents.

I've looked for evidence of protest against Wilder by this group and didn't find any [[although that doesn't mean it's not out there) but again, you're comparing apples to oranges and so are the Surinaamers.

As a member of a minority group I'm not unsympathetic to their plight or their feelings but with so much hatred going on around the world, people being overly sensitive seems to be having the affect of diluting charges of hatred in it's many forms.

I see it happening here with racism. The minute you bring it up,people want to take a swipe at you and say you're playing the "race card." Ironically, too often that charge is correct which makes serious issues of institutional racism even harder to prove. That concerns me Robbk and it should concern any minority.

ms_m
06-23-2011, 09:53 PM
Jobeterob it's been my experience that young people simply can't relate to the times many of us found ourselves growing up in. Actually, non people of color have a hard time relating which is understandable.

I had an older cousin that attended SC State College and was heavily involved in the sit in movement. I remember saying "colored" around her once and she almost had a cow, said I should use the term Negro. Since she was part of the "movement" she felt we should lift ourselves up from what she considered a slavery term. By the time I was her age, I felt the same way about the word Negro and preferred calling myself Black which as I said, was once considered offensive.

Times change, and words often take on a new meaning or we simply reclaim them to mean something more positive. The first time I heard the term, "people of color" I laughed....I had actually seen the word come full circle so to speak.

It's difficult for me to get too caught up in words unless it's obvious the meaning behind it, is meant to be derogatory. When that happens, you don't have to think twice about the intent or the meaning.

jobeterob
06-24-2011, 01:51 AM
I loved this book a lot and have given it as a present a few times. If you haven't read it, give it a try.

I've learned a lot from this thread.

Instead of person of color, white, latino, negro, and all the rest, maybe "person" will eventually do.

ms_m
06-24-2011, 05:45 AM
I read it several weeks ago when you first suggested it. It's a good book.

Although I'm not a big fan of labels I understand they are necessary and to be honest, I don't mind being call Black, person of color or any honest non derogatory description. Being Black is part of who I am. I was born that way and I'm proud of it. If a person doesn't see and respect that part of me, I'm insulted.

The problem comes when people judge you in a negative light, hate you or discriminate against you because of the description.

I've said this before but one of my pet peeves is the phrase, color blind. Unless a person is legally blind it's impossible not to see my pigmentation. Why ignore it? Accept it and move on.

People should not be afraid to be different,and we should not negatively judge others because they are. [[different)

arrr&bee
07-04-2011, 10:33 AM
during my lifetime and in polite society i have evolved from being colored to negro to black to african american to person of color and of course, all derogatory terms in between. Be that as it may, i find it curious a group of dutch citizens would be offended by a term that was once considered quite acceptable in the west, while one of their own stands trial [[and was just acquitted) of hate speech and discrimination towards minorities. I would think they would be more offended by far right dutch politian, geert wilder. Ironically, during the verdict i didn’t see any protest but did see lots of cheers.

On a side note, the author, lawrence hill is of mixed race. His father was black and his mother was white. Both were american immigrants who moved to canada after they were married.

http://www.lawrencehill.com/bio.htmlms m as always i am mesmerized by your intellect and the your masterful use of the english language...[and you still fine]your humble srevant jai!!

jobeterob
07-05-2011, 01:09 AM
I do like that line.............."We should not negatively judge others because they are different"...........a line to live by.

news | bio | writing | reading guides | contact | home

Lawrence Hill — Biography
Lawrence Hill is the son of American immigrants — a black father and a white mother — who came to Canada the day after they married in 1953 in Washington, D.C. On his father's side, Hill's grandfather and great grandfather were university-educated, ordained ministers of the African Methodist Episcopal Church. His mother came from a Republican family in Oak Park, Illinois, graduated from Oberlin College and went on to become a civil rights activist in D.C. The story of how they met, married, left the United States and raised a family in Toronto is described in Hill's bestselling memoir Black Berry, Sweet Juice: On Being Black and White in Canada [[HarperCollins Canada, 2001). Growing up in the predominantly white suburb of Don Mills, Ontario in the sixties, Hill was greatly influenced by his parents' work in the human rights movement. Much of Hill's writing touches on issues of identity and belonging.

Lawrence Hill's third novel was published as The Book of Negroes in Canada and the UK, and as Someone Knows My Name in the USA, Australiaand New Zealand. It won the overall Commonwealth Writers' Prize for Best Book, the Rogers Writers' Trust Fiction Prize, the Ontario Library Association's Evergreen Award and CBC Radio's Canada Reads. The book was a finalist for the Hurston/Wright LEGACY Award and longlisted for both the Giller Prize and the IMPAC Award.

Hill is also the author of the novels Any Known Blood [[William Morrow, New York, 1999 and HarperCollins Canada, 1997) and Some Great Thing [[HarperCollins 2009, originally published by Turnstone Press, Winnipeg, 1992). Hill's most recently published fiction is the short story 'Meet You at the Door', which appeared in the January-February, 2011 issue of The Walrus magazine.

Hill's most recent non-fiction book The Deserter's Tale: the Story of an Ordinary Soldier Who Walked Away from the War in Iraq [[written with Joshua Key) was released in the United States, Canada, Australia, Japan and several European countries.

In 2010, Hill received honorary doctorates from the University of Toronto and Wilfrid Laurier University, the Bob Edwards Award from the Alberta Theatre Projects, and was named Author of the Year by Go On Girl, the largest African-American women's book club in the United States. Hill won the National Magazine Award for the best essay published in Canada in 2005 for "Is Africa's Pain Black America's Burden?" [[The Walrus, February 2005). In 2005, the 90-minute film document that Hill wrote, Seeking Salvation: A History of the Black Church in Canada, Travesty Productions, Toronto [[2004), won the American Wilbur Award for best national television documentary.

Formerly a reporter with The Globe and Mail and parliamentary correspondent for The Winnipeg Free Press, Hill also speaks French and Spanish. He has lived and worked across Canada, in Baltimore, and in Spain and France. He is an honorary patron of Canadian Crossroads International, for which he travelled as a volunteer to the West African countries Niger, Cameroon and Mali. Hill is also a member of the Council of Patrons of the Black Loyalist Heritage Society, and of the Advisory Council of Book Clubs for Inmates. He has a B.A. in economics from Laval University in Quebec City and an M.A. in writing from Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore. Hill lives in Hamilton, Ontario.

news | bio | writing | reading guides | contact | home

Copyright © 2006 - 2009, Lawrence Hill

ms_m
07-05-2011, 04:10 AM
ms m as always i am mesmerized by your intellect and the your masterful use of the english language...[and you still fine]your humble srevant jai!!

...and YOU will ALWAYS be, "Man of the Year!!!!!
MUAH:D