PDA

View Full Version : Why Our Voice Changes With Age

test

1382hitsville
07-05-2023, 08:06 AM
Hello forum family,

Here we discussed a lot about the changing of the voices of our favorite performers, Martha Reeves, Diana Ross and others.

I've came across an interesting article on BBC about why our voice changes with age:

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20230703-why-our-voices-change-with-age

Thought I could share it with you.

westgrandboulevard
07-05-2023, 10:03 AM
It's very interesting....

Voices do tend to deepen with age.

I don't remember reading if Diana ever had surgery, but I am certain I did read back in the '60s that Martha had needed an operation to remove nodules on her vocal cords.

arr&bee
07-05-2023, 03:15 PM
AND WE HAVE TO REMEMBER THAT WITH PROFESSIONALS, WITH TOURING AND RECORDING THE VOCAL CORDS TAKE A BEATING, AND AS THE YEARS PASS THE VOICE CAN LOSE RANGE AND VOLUME,SOME GREATS HAVE BEEN BLESSED TO THIS DAY...[GLADYS KNIGHT- PATTI LaBELLE- STEVIE WONDER- CHAKA KHAN] JUST TO NAME A FEW!

Boogiedown
07-05-2023, 03:23 PM
its the whiskey and the smokes :p

https://i.ebayimg.com/thumbs/images/g/yz4AAOSwiQtkpJ9i/s-l300.webp [[https://www.ebay.com/itm/155647545633?hash=item243d511121:g:yz4AAOSwiQtkpJ9 i&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA8OoFAe%2FyMAI6D%2Fr1yx9KoehGP Lx6TlxkaPeBrp9muFuFctdAypmZJTX2%2B5L4CtXmZI1VD4ELi hNwi%2F1ysEVi2AFnvUK0XyCDPTy964hfOKyYBGkKG1VGbDF4f TVsDnujkRjhN%2Ffr6NuNYIhYu9JQQywf%2BkQZJTq8J5Oo2rn w61BeRMu0JNS8JugsqnXv12Bc33gZegTDJXXRphYdCQalG76EJ gDTHWZrgLuB41B7gE4LUsSuQx%2BpvkqDw3TxiP7KS4HcsNPdd ZWn6enLsPqvgxOE32g5%2B9yWUh3%2FeKj%2FJJaTxRvPv89uo GeDpil2clLuZg%3D%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR_Lp-_ekYg)

westgrandboulevard
07-05-2023, 04:05 PM
Ha!

When it was first released, I [then a late teens boy] used to be able to hit THAT same note as Louvain, on the intro to 'Love Child'.

Maybe even higher....

These days, I would have to take it in the key of Z Minor...:rolleyes:

Boogiedown
07-05-2023, 04:24 PM
well you could always be a Temptation

westgrandboulevard
07-05-2023, 04:31 PM
Then it would have to be Melvin......

Boogiedown
07-05-2023, 04:37 PM
you started as an Eddie and wind it up as a Melvin !:p

hey how different would Melvin's voice be by now ????

westgrandboulevard
07-05-2023, 05:48 PM
I wonder who was thought to have the deepest bass singing voice 'in the business', around that time.....

Melvin? Or...?

Sotosound
07-05-2023, 06:03 PM
I wonder who was thought to have the deepest bass singing voice 'in the business', around that time.....

Melvin? Or...?
Melvin's the deepest that I've come across. Listen to the intro to "Power" and then try to sing it. :)

westgrandboulevard
07-05-2023, 06:18 PM
I would likely need to take a Journey to the Centre of the Earth, before I even attempted it.:rolleyes:

Have just Googled, and it seems Tim Storms holds the current record [[and that doesn't mean one by The Temptations.....)

rod_rick
07-05-2023, 08:01 PM
Ha!

When it was first released, I [then a late teens boy] used to be able to hit THAT same note as Louvain, on the intro to 'Love Child'.

Maybe even higher....

These days, I would have to take it in the key of Z Minor...:rolleyes:

I could hit that note well into my 40's. Now I can hit the note under that. I made a tape back in the day doing the background parts to Love Child back in the day singing just 2 parts came out petty good. But as far as the voice changing there are many factors diet, as someone stated smoking and drinking alcohol and coffee can dry out the vocal chords and just plain old singing wrong can destroy your voice but a good vocal instructor can work you out and get most of that range back.

westgrandboulevard
07-06-2023, 05:45 AM
I could hit that note well into my 40's. Now I can hit the note under that. I made a tape back in the day doing the background parts to Love Child back in the day singing just 2 parts came out petty good. But as far as the voice changing there are many factors diet, as someone stated smoking and drinking alcohol and coffee can dry out the vocal chords and just plain old singing wrong can destroy your voice but a good vocal instructor can work you out and get most of that range back.

That's really interesting....

In my teens, I always liked to sing along with the records - sometimes in lead singer mode, sometimes background.

I was what I think is called 'counter tenor' ....but was sensitive about it, and began to feel I wasn't quite 'male' enough. Hang-ups, I guess...!

So, as the years passed, the music still played in my head, but I simply stopped singing....and my voice has lowered over time.

Only ever a very light smoker, and none in over 30 years.....and am virtually tee-total. But I would certainly take your point about coffee....especially of the strong sort...

What really needs the most work, I think, is my breathing. Even when I post on SD, it does sometimes seem as if I'm sat here, just holding my breath :rolleyes:

Boogiedown
07-06-2023, 02:08 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMWMwtyhHnA

144man
07-06-2023, 02:37 PM
I wonder what Cher's voice will ultimately sound like.

westgrandboulevard
07-06-2023, 04:24 PM
Bearing in mind the number of changes to her body, Cher will probably sound like Angela Gheorghiu...:rolleyes:

jobucats
07-06-2023, 05:31 PM
Ha!

When it was first released, I [then a late teens boy] used to be able to hit THAT same note as Louvain, on the intro to 'Love Child'.:

If you're talking about that piercing "Hah" just before Diana starts singing the first verse, I've always thought that voice was Diana's because it sounds so much like her. Yes, I know it's ridiculous to believe that she would join the other background singers for those Ooos and ahssss. I'll accept that I am wrong.

motony
07-06-2023, 06:30 PM
the professional singers that suffered the most are those that HAD to work night after night in the small, SMOKE filled nightclubs.