PDA

View Full Version : 5 CD Phil Spector Bundle for $25! Today only!

test

carlo
06-21-2011, 02:24 PM
I just wanted to give everybody the heads up on an amazing deal that's happening today only. Pop Market is offering all of the recently released Phil Spector Best Of CD's [[Darlene Love, The Crystals, The Wall Of Sound and The Ronettes), as well as A Christmas Gift For You, as part of a bundle for only $25!

http://www.popmarket.com/

RossHolloway
06-21-2011, 03:00 PM
I think I'd rather have the Miles Davis collection. Anyone feeling generous today?

theboyfromxtown
06-21-2011, 03:40 PM
I've gone on record with concerns about these recent albums. Caused a bit of a fuss too, it seems. But surely this demonstrates the fact that these releases were not warmly appreciated by the buyers. Who would have thought that Spector would be discounted...were the Beatles discounted? Certainly not in the UK

Spector music has been largely kept away from us. I believe it is still happening but there are still some that wait patiently. However, that population is getting much older and smaller. News that albums that we have had for over 40 years are coming out on CD does not seem to be cutting the mustard as much as it once might.

When UK Polydor put out those "Rare Masters", the Spector vault was not empty. The Crystal's "Chico Girl" confirms that. So if we take out that one track, is the vault still empty? I don't think so!

Ramone Verona
06-21-2011, 03:51 PM
Remember that Spector guy is, and always has been, NUTS!
Creatively, a Genius!
But because he's mentally "not right", Phil is most likely holding back wonderful gems and outtakes that a sane person by now would have released to the appropriate audience.
I don't think Dick Clark is a "nut", but his family must be making him hold back releases he owns for later big money.
Those people may just find that "the audience" for those releases will have disappeared.
Every generation has its stars and this "era" we write about and love on SDF is, of course, disappearing to Mother Earth.
As it should.

theboyfromxtown
06-21-2011, 04:12 PM
Some years ago, I became aware that American Bandstand footage was very much more expensive to get at than that from other TV networks. So how much longer can he afford to wait because, as you rightly pointed out, the audience is diminishing..and fast.

JimBagley
06-21-2011, 04:21 PM
There is nothing different on these Spector cds than was already released in the US some years back. The Ronettes' I Can Hear Music has still not been released on a domestic cd. Not sure if the European cd that offered this track was a bootleg. And like my friend John Lester points out, it is highly unlikely the vault is empty. Where is the vault containing Spector's unreleased stuff? In his spooky house?

theboyfromxtown
06-21-2011, 04:26 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Be-My-Baby-Very-Ronettes/dp/B004GHBQEM/ref=pd_bxgy_m_h__img_b

Jim - It's track 17 on this release

theboyfromxtown
06-21-2011, 04:37 PM
Is Florence Devore [[Phi Dan) on a reputable cd?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAa051SnpcE&feature=related

Needs to be played loud!

JimBagley
06-21-2011, 04:47 PM
Thanks John. I guess I will have to buy this cd for I Can Hear Music [[I had a 45 that was in awful shape).

luke
06-21-2011, 10:23 PM
Though a number of specials have been happening in world of music--eg Ms Gaga set sales records at 1.99!!!

jillfoster
06-21-2011, 10:40 PM
I've gone on record with concerns about these recent albums. Caused a bit of a fuss too, it seems. But surely this demonstrates the fact that these releases were not warmly appreciated by the buyers. Who would have thought that Spector would be discounted...were the Beatles discounted? Certainly not in the UK

Spector music has been largely kept away from us. I believe it is still happening but there are still some that wait patiently. However, that population is getting much older and smaller. News that albums that we have had for over 40 years are coming out on CD does not seem to be cutting the mustard as much as it once might.

When UK Polydor put out those "Rare Masters", the Spector vault was not empty. The Crystal's "Chico Girl" confirms that. So if we take out that one track, is the vault still empty? I don't think so!

John... I think the difference is that the Beatles' catalog was of course, more critically acclaimed.... but also more eclectic [[and keep in mind, I am NOT a Beatles fan) and Phil Spector's productions have that "You've heard one, youv'e heard them all" quality. And I'll be brutally honest, while some of Spector's recordings are songs I LOVE, and listen to and enjoy on a regular basis.... it's not something I can listen to for an hour at a time. I LOVE a bombstic, overblown arrangement... but the "muddiness" of his productions tend to madden me. I think alot of the public sees and hears his music in that they really LIKE his songs alot, but they get old really fast and one has to listen to something else.

theboyfromxtown
06-22-2011, 03:58 AM
Jillfoster

True, very true!

I guess I'm a little sad that time is moving on and I'm still waiting for new Spector and it's not happeneing. I bought that Rachelle Spector CD hoping it might blow my mind, but it didn't

uptight
06-22-2011, 04:50 AM
Very true, Jillfoster. I would much rather hear a Beatles album. I did get Spector's Back To Mono box set at a deep discount when Tower Records was shutting their original store. [[This was either during or after the murder trial.) But I must have skimmed through it once, trying to hurry toward the Christmas album. The "Wall of Sound" was too muddy for me, LOL. While I might want to refresh my memory about the songs once in a while, the box set is packed away so deeply that I am in no hurry.

Kamasu_Jr
06-22-2011, 06:57 PM
Jillfoster

True, very true!

I guess I'm a little sad that time is moving on and I'm still waiting for new Spector and it's not happeneing. I bought that Rachelle Spector CD hoping it might blow my mind, but it didn't

While on Phil Spector, what's happening with those original Spector produced albums by the Crystals, Bobb E Soxx & the Blue Jeans and the Fabulous Ronettes that were supposed to be released this month

theboyfromxtown
06-23-2011, 03:50 AM
Kamasu

Hopefully, after the tirade of complaints about those hit packages issued earlier this year that are now being sold heavily discounted, Sony are having a re-think.

Kamasu_Jr
06-23-2011, 01:11 PM
Kamasu

Hopefully, after the tirade of complaints about those hit packages issued earlier this year that are now being sold heavily discounted, Sony are having a re-think.

I hope the negative buzz didn't kill these releases. I don't understand some fans' demand for stereo versions of Spector's songs whenn stereo is not the way he intended them to be heard.

chalky
06-23-2011, 03:06 PM
Jillfoster

True, very true!

I remember Kell Osborne saying he cut about a dozen or so cuts with Phil Spector when Spector produced his singel Trey outing 61 ish so there is and must be plenty of unreleased material that has yet to see the light of day.

tom_moulton
06-23-2011, 03:34 PM
If the technology existed at the time he would have done them in stereo. He recorded most of his early tracks on 3 track and then bounced back and forth from one machine to another. The reason he doesn't like stereo is the sound is so far away from the first generation and when you try to spread out the sound you have tape hiss which is compounded every time you do a bounce. Years ago I contacted his rep about going back and taking each overdub and synching it up to other first stage overdub and it fell on deaf ears. I first got the idea of doing this when I worked on Clem Dodd's Studio One tapes and was synching up those early Wailers & Heptones stages . They were recorded on 2 track consumer machines and Clem just bounce the music from one machine to the other. Recorded at 7 1/2 you talk about tape hiss!!!!!!! some songs were 2 stages while others were 4 and 5 anyway most people thought I was nuts when I was able to get the tapes out of Jamaica and I was doing this for a client who wanted me to spend as much time in the studio and creating a project that wouldn't sell [[something to do with a tax write off) I was doing this work at Media Sound and most there thought I was crazy. I put the first stages on a 24 track tape and keep trying to fly the parts in and they would stay in synch for 10 to 15 seconds. It was a nightmare and I stuck with it. Thank God the songs were all around 2 1/2 to 3 minutes. That was back in 1974 and I am still crazy about taking stages. Over the years I have done hundreds of songs. What's sad is a lot of these tapes still exist and no one has the passion to do it. Its always about the MONEY!!! and what's it gonna cost. I get so angry about it and say well what about the Music? I didn't mean to go off on a rant! Spector has most of his stages and for some its very difficult to thing back as to thinking forward. About 30 years ago I got some stage copies of Today I met The Boy I'm Gonna Marry & Wait Till My Bobby Gets home and synched them up and thought how great it would be if all the Spector stuff were in stereo. It took me 30 years to get The Kitkats.... I can wait. So for now...... Remember "MONO Hides All The Sins"

theboyfromxtown
06-23-2011, 04:57 PM
Tom

It's ok to rant - we are all human and entitled to an opinion.

Thank you for sharing.