PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Tina Turner Recordings

test

reese
05-27-2023, 06:52 PM
I'm sure most of us were saddened by the recent passing of Tina. Though I had known she was ill, it was still a shock when she finally transitioned. Like so many of the greats who have left us, I never imagined a world without Tina.

My earliest Tina memory was my parents taking me to see the SOUL TO SOUL film. To this day, I can remember seeing this wild woman singing the title track while bopping with the Ikettes. I also had the memory of Ike and Tina performing I SMELL TROUBLE stuck in my mind for many years.

While I was out shopping today, WHAT'S LOVE GOT TO DO WITH IT came over the pa system and it made me think of my favorite Tina recordings.

From the Ike and Tina days, my favorites [aside from the hits] are:

THE REAL ME [Sue)
IT'S CRAZY BABY [Kent]
SOMEBODY [SOMEWHERE] NEEDS YOU [Loma]
EVERY DAY I HAVE TO CRY [Philles]
YOU GOT WHAT YOU WANTED [Pompeii]
ONLY WOMEN BLEED [Fantasy]

Tina solo:

LET'S PRETEND WE'RE MARRIED
OVERNIGHT SENSATION
PARADISE IS HERE
WITHOUT YOU
GAME OF LOVE
EDITH AND THE KINGPIN

motony
05-27-2023, 07:38 PM
I LOVED all the old Sue Records esp "Two Is A Couple". A record on the LOMA label I had from about '65/'66 "Tell Her I'm Not Home". "Funkier Then a Mosquiotos Tweeter" "Sexy Ida". so many that I loved esp "I'll Never Need More Than This" produced by Phil Spector.

reese
05-27-2023, 08:26 PM
I LOVED all the old Sue Records esp "Two Is A Couple". A record on the LOMA label I had from about '65/'66 "Tell Her I'm Not Home". "Funkier Then a Mosquiotos Tweeter" "Sexy Ida". so many that I loved esp "I'll Never Need More Than This" produced by Phil Spector.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9HmWIn7IXM

PeaceNHarmony
05-27-2023, 08:56 PM
Hi Reese:

This is top o' the head:

Ike & Tina
* Tin Top House
* I Idolize You
* Nutbush
* Entire 'Come Together' lp
* Workin' Together
* Proud Mary
* Let Me Touch Your Mind
* Feel Good

Tina:
* Entire 'PD' album
* I'll Be Thunder
* Silent Wings
* Steamy Windows
* [[Simply) The Best
* Undercover Agent for the Blues
* Edith and the Kingpin
* Entire 'Rough' album

Motown Eddie
05-28-2023, 04:45 AM
Ike & Tina-
"A Fool In Love", "It's Gonna Work Out Fine", "River Deep-Mountain High", "Bold Soul Sister", "Proud Mary".

Tina Solo-
"What's Love Got To Do With It", "Better Be Good To Me", "Private Dancer","I Might Have Been Queen", "We Don't Need Another Hero [Thunderdome]", "Two People", "Steamy Windows", "The Best", "Undercover Agent For The Blues".

jsmith
05-28-2023, 04:47 AM
"River Deep" obviously [[well I am a Brit & it's always been an anthem here), "Dust My Broom" [[Tangerine version), "I've Been Loving You Too Long", "Bold Soul Sister", "It's Gonna Work Out Fine", "Somebody Needs You", "Tell Her I'm Not Home", "Goodbye, So Long", "Oh Baby [[Things Ain't What They Used To Be)" [[UK LP + 45 B side) & "Let's Stay Together".

Motown Eddie
05-28-2023, 05:25 AM
An Honorable Mention for-
The Ikettes [with Tina Turner on background vocals] "I'm Blue [The Gong-Gong Song]"

jsmith
05-28-2023, 08:33 AM
Same song; later recording ... 20712

jsmith
05-28-2023, 01:06 PM
Tina in full flight ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jV3zMKJM1iQ

lucky2012
05-28-2023, 08:29 PM
Ike & Tina: A Fool In Love, A Love Like Yours [Don't Come Knocking Every Day], I'll Never Need More Than This, Nutbush City Limits

Tina Turner: Let's Stay together, What's Love Got To Do With It, Better Be Good To Me, Show Some Respect, I Can't Stand The Rain, The Best, We Don't Need Another Hero.

lucky2012
05-28-2023, 08:32 PM
An Honorable Mention for-
The Ikettes [with Tina Turner on background vocals] "I'm Blue [The Gong-Gong Song]"

Yes! A record from the Girl Group era that was not a girl group record!

Spreadinglove21
05-28-2023, 09:34 PM

The Shangri Las did a cover of I'm Blue with the Ganser Twins splitting the lead and did a decent job of it, though it's girl group in its sound.

Spreadinglove21
05-28-2023, 09:37 PM
One of my favorite Tina Turner songs is One of the Living which was the second single from Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome. Very 80s but that sound seemed to suit Tina well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dc3IEdllaxc

Motown Eddie
05-29-2023, 05:54 AM

Yes Indeed; The Ikettes' "I'm Blue" is too Blues Based to be a true 'Girl Group' record. And I heard it on the radio when it first came out back in 1962. "I'm Blue" was a moderate hit for The Turners #3 R&B-#19 Pop and was the basis for Salt-N-Pepa's hit "Shoop" in 1993.

Motown Eddie
05-29-2023, 06:01 AM
Same song; later recording

Never heard this before; thanks for sharing jsmith.

sansradio
05-29-2023, 11:06 AM
Here's a banger no one's mentioned:

https://youtu.be/Go_T7pC8IC8

Stax_of_Motown
05-29-2023, 04:03 PM
All Ike And Tina - Not particularly a fan of Tina's solo work.

Somebody, Somewhere Needs You [[great cover of Darrell Banks' original) "Loma" recording.

The Hunter [[longer LP version) great cover of original Albert King song, Bold Soul Sister from "The Hunter" Blue Thumb Album [[guitar from Albert Collins)

Crazy 'Bout You Baby, Rock Me Baby. "Outta Season" Blue Thumb Album

Crazy... and Bold... both popular in UK soul clubs late 60's.

tamla617
05-29-2023, 04:42 PM
Sexy Ida and Nutbush 1973 . Not a big fan really although I have great respect the way she bounced back from all bad things she had to cope with in her private life . RIP

Roberta75
05-29-2023, 06:24 PM
Nutbush City Limits
River Deep Mountian High
Proud Mary
Private Dancer
Simply the Best
I don't want to Fight
We dont need Another Hero
Its Only Love with Brian Adams
Better Be Good to Me
I might have Been Queen
Its Gonna Work out Fine

I LOVE Tina Turner.

jsmith
05-30-2023, 08:01 AM
Has the stage musical TINA made it to the US yet ?
I was gonna go see it in London but Covid put an end to that plan ...
of course, it's still on in the UK [[London), so I can still go see it.

sansradio
05-30-2023, 08:08 AM
^ Yes. It ran on Broadway from October 2019 to August 2022. The original lead actress, Adrienne Warren, won a Tony for it. The US road company of the show has been touring since September.

PeaceNHarmony
05-30-2023, 10:56 PM
^ Yes. It ran on Broadway from October 2019 to August 2022. The original lead actress, Adrienne Warren, won a Tony for it. The US road company of the show has been touring since September.And I may add that Adrienne Warren was an utter joy. Take a look at the finale and encores.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyTDLi52VZo

woodward
05-31-2023, 03:36 PM
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this yet, but if you listen to SiriuxXM Soul Town radio, they have been playing both Ike & Tina as well as Tina only recordings continuously for the past several days. I never realize that she made that many recordings. If you listen, I am positive you will hear something that you never heard before by her. It amazes me where they come up with all these songs to play.

reese
05-31-2023, 03:57 PM
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this yet, but if you listen to SiriuxXM Soul Town radio, they have been playing both Ike & Tina as well as Tina only recordings continuously for the past several days. I never realize that she made that many recordings. If you listen, I am positive you will hear something that you never heard before by her. It amazes me where they come up with all these songs to play.

Yesterday I was riding with my father and he was playing the Soul Town station. He mentioned that they have only been playing Tina for the past few days. Alongside the hits, it is true that they are going very deep into her catalog, both with and without Ike. While riding, they played an instrumental attributed to Ike and Tina that I don't recall hearing before. It sounded like a country hoedown and "Rag" was in the title [I think] but I can't remember the rest.

Roberta75
05-31-2023, 04:28 PM
Ive been listening to SoulTown channel 49 since yesterday morning. Its all Tina Turner as it should be. LOVE that lady so much.

lakeside
06-01-2023, 12:32 PM
Every time I think of you
I always catch my breath
And I’m still standing here, and you’re miles away
And I’m wondering why you left
And there’s a storm that’s raging
Through my frozen heart tonight
I hear your name in certain circles
And it always makes me smile
I spend my time thinking about you
And it’s almost driving me wild
And there’s a heart that’s breakingDown this long distance line tonight
I ain’t missing you at all
Since you’ve been gone away
I ain’t missing youNo matter what I might say
There’s a message in the wire
And I’m sending you the signal tonight
You don’t know how desperate I’ve become
And it looks like I’m losing this fight
In your world I have no meaning
Though I’m tryin’ hard to understand
And it’s my heart that’s breakingDown this long distance line tonight
I ain’t missing youNo matter what my friends say
And there’s a message that I’m sending out
Via telegraph to your soul
And if I can’t bridge this distanceStop this heartbreak overload
I ain’t missing you
No matter what my friends say
I ain’t missing you, I ain’t missing youI can’t lie to myself
I ain’t missing you, missing you
I ain’t missing you, no, no
I ain’t missing you
I ain’t missing you, I ain’t missing you
I always catch my breathThese lyrics written in 1984 by John Waite became a #1 hit on Billboard’s Album Rock Tracks, then covered by other artists through the years until it reached Tina Turner’s Wildest Dreams album and tour in 1996 where it found a home in the hearts of millions of Turner’s fans – including mine.
From the Spring Hills Baptist Church choir in Nutbush, Tennessee as a child of the late 1940s to concert halls around the globe that set ticketed attendance records including her largest venue with more than 180,000 fans in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil in 1988 Turner entertained and amazed millions of people for nearly six decades with her raspy voice, high energy, sexy self. Her ability to overcome, to survive and thrive in a man’s music world were an inspiration to everyone that knew her story.
Thank goodness for YouTube videos of Tina Turner who has often been referred to as the Queen of Rock and Roll – I watched my favorite, the Amsterdam concert, through tears when I heard she had left the building.
Every time I think of you, I always catch my breath…this week I spent my time thinking of you, and it’s my heart that’s breaking.
RIP, Tina Turner. I will be missing you.

Motown Eddie
06-01-2023, 01:51 PM
As we remember the Great Tina Turner and her recordings, here's the story of the time she & The Ikettes sang back up for Frank Zappa.

The album Frank Zappa recorded with Tina Turner [faroutmagazine.co.uk [[https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/the-album-frank-zappa-recorded-with-tina-turner-as-a-back-up-singer/?amp&fbclid=IwAR13DnHwWuc5flZxf59Pnl2XLx8hfDkrMlLyXMpXr qkGh5ASLe2-SQARZ_k)]

PeaceNHarmony
06-01-2023, 10:09 PM
I always catch my breath
And I’m still standing here, and you’re miles away
And I’m wondering why you left
I hear your name in certain circles
And it always makes me smile
I spend my time thinking about you
And it’s almost driving me wild
And there’s a heart that’s breakingDown this long distance line tonight
I ain’t missing youNo matter what I might say
There’s a message in the wire
And I’m sending you the signal tonight
You don’t know how desperate I’ve become
And it looks like I’m losing this fight
In your world I have no meaning
Though I’m tryin’ hard to understand
And it’s my heart that’s breakingDown this long distance line tonight
I ain’t missing youNo matter what my friends say
And there’s a message that I’m sending out
Via telegraph to your soul
And if I can’t bridge this distanceStop this heartbreak overload
I ain’t missing you
No matter what my friends say
I ain’t missing you, I ain’t missing youI can’t lie to myself
I ain’t missing you, missing you
I ain’t missing you, no, no
I ain’t missing you
I always catch my breath
These lyrics written in 1984 by John Waite became a #1 hit on Billboard’s Album Rock Tracks, then covered by other artists through the years until it reached Tina Turner’s Wildest Dreams album and tour in 1996 where it found a home in the hearts of millions of Turner’s fans – including mine.
From the Spring Hills Baptist Church choir in Nutbush, Tennessee as a child of the late 1940s to concert halls around the globe that set ticketed attendance records including her largest venue with more than 180,000 fans in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil in 1988 Turner entertained and amazed millions of people for nearly six decades with her raspy voice, high energy, sexy self. Her ability to overcome, to survive and thrive in a man’s music world were an inspiration to everyone that knew her story.
Thank goodness for YouTube videos of Tina Turner who has often been referred to as the Queen of Rock and Roll – I watched my favorite, the Amsterdam concert, through tears when I heard she had left the building.
Every time I think of you, I always catch my breath…this week I spent my time thinking of you, and it’s my heart that’s breaking.
RIP, Tina Turner. I will be missing you.Tina Th an overwhelming version of 'Missing You' and it shoulda been a hit here in the US. Seeing our girl singing 'MY' live at Radio City in NYC was an experience!

PeaceNHarmony
06-01-2023, 10:14 PM
Ive been listening to SoulTown channel 49 since yesterday morning. Its all Tina Turner as it should be. LOVE that lady so much.I as well, my friend Ms. Roberta. And I have to say that I have been pleasantly surprised at how current-contemporary ALL of the material sounds. I've always thought that during her lifetime here on earth Tina's vocals were overlooked due to her stage performance and physical beauty. WOW could that Anna Mae sing! I hope you are well, Ms. R and always wish you '[[Simply) The Best'.

Graham Jarvis
06-26-2023, 02:59 PM
Since Tina passed away, I have really enjoyed all of those that have really missed Tina's many incredible records and songs over the many years.
There is one record that really still brings tears to my eyes as one of my all-time favourites.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5HQhDgITCs