PDA

View Full Version : Stevie Wonder and Rare Earth

test

mysterysinger
05-12-2023, 08:11 PM
In the attached article, mention is made of the intention for Stevie Wonder to produce Rare Earth but the project got shelved. I'm wondering whether any material was committed to tape and where is it?

As an aside who had the final say on what got released on the Rare Earth label?

https://www.loudersound.com/features/cult-heroes-rare-earth-motowns-funkiest-white-band

Motown Eddie
05-15-2023, 09:00 AM
Thanks mysterysinger for sharing this interview with Gil Bridges about Rare Earth. I don't know what happened with the sessions that Stevie Wonder did with the band [or if anything from the sessions was recorded and remains in the Motown vaults]. As a side note, Rare Earth's "I Just Want To Celebrate" was featured in the movie Bullet Train last year [over the closing credits] so it still remains a touchstone all these years after they recorded the song.

Motown Eddie
05-15-2023, 09:04 AM

According to the Both Sides Now site, Barney Ales ran Motown's Rare Earth label so I assume that he had the final say on what got released on the label.
Rare Earth Album Discography [bsnpubs.com] [[https://bsnpubs.com/motown/rareearth/rareearth.html).

ralpht
05-15-2023, 09:20 AM
Nice piece featuring my old Sunliner band mate. Unfortunately, Gil passed of dementia a couple of years back. He and Pete Rivera would never resolve their differences.

ralpht
05-15-2023, 09:23 AM
As far as I know, Harry Balk had complete control of the Rare Earth label and sole responsibility for what would be released.

SatansBlues
05-15-2023, 10:55 AM
In the attached article, mention is made of the intention for Stevie Wonder to produce Rare Earth but the project got shelved. I'm wondering whether any material was committed to tape and where is it?

https://www.loudersound.com/features/cult-heroes-rare-earth-motowns-funkiest-white-band

Thanks for posting this. It was a nice read on RE. It's unfortunate what happened to the group. They did put out some really nice music in their day. It does sound like there are some unreleased tracks produced by Stevie still sitting in the can and if Stevie was only 17 when he produced them then that would have occurred in '67-'68. But that timeline doesn't match for when RE released their first album in '68 and before they had signed with Motown.

ralpht
05-15-2023, 07:30 PM
SatansBlues, You are right on the money in your timeline. In 1968 The newly renamed Sunliners to Rare Earth were recording their album for Verve at Tera Shirma.

1382hitsville
05-16-2023, 11:09 AM
ahhh, senior moment now, I was about to write "how about Deke Richards?", but now I realize he was given "Weed", all your favorite artists are on Weed.

Maybe on Rare Earth too? haha

Motown Eddie
05-16-2023, 11:41 AM
As far as I know, Harry Balk had complete control of the Rare Earth label and solely responsible for what would be released.

Well I believe you Ralph since were working at Motown at that time. Also, given the date of that interview with Gil Bridges [summer 2020], it's probably the last one he gave before his tragic death in Dec. 2021.

ralpht
05-16-2023, 05:11 PM
Harry was not very fond of the {weed label} or its name. I agreed, I thought it a rather dumb name and slogan.

mysterysinger
05-16-2023, 05:34 PM
Given what Chris Clark was riding on her rear album cover for CC Rides Again I was going to suggest that Weed was a white elephant - but the album is very good musically. Love "How About You" and "You've Made Me So Very Happy" especially.

144man
05-18-2023, 02:01 PM
I have heard mention of Weed's slogan many times, but have never seen it written on anything official. Can anyone oblige with a picture of the "All your favorite artists are on Weed" slogan on a document or advert.

DWSheffer
05-18-2023, 03:56 PM
I don't know if I've seen it on any advertising, but it's on the label.....