PDA

View Full Version : Now that's rare!!

test

arrr&bee
08-18-2010, 04:17 PM
Hey gang,for those of you who have 45's[which is mostly 90% of us here]what is the oldest song on a 45 owned by you?..[not so much the original lable] but the oldest song,mine is-if i didn't care-the ink spots..what cha got??

Sylversfan11
10-30-2011, 02:19 AM
I have two by the same group! The group was called The Little Angels,later known as The Sylvers! The 45's go back to 1960 I believe. The first 45 has the songs Olympia/Says You and the second has I'll Be A Little Angel/The Santa Clause Parade! I would like to think they're rare,but Olympia and Says You are on Youtube. I'm a huge Sylvers fanatic by the way!

marv2
10-30-2011, 04:00 AM
The oldest song I have on a 45 is "It's All In the Game" by Tommy Edwards a big hit record from October 1958. It's been said that the melody was written way back in 1911 by former Vice President, Charles Dawes.

marv2
10-30-2011, 04:01 AM
I have two by the same group! The group was called The Little Angels,later known as The Sylvers! The 45's go back to 1960 I believe. The first 45 has the songs Olympia/Says You and the second has I'll Be A Little Angel/The Santa Clause Parade! I would like to think they're rare,but Olympia and Says You are on Youtube. I'm a huge Sylvers fanatic by the way!

Hey Sylversfan11, welcome to the forum. Would you know if there is any complete video footage of the "Little Angels" performing on television?

chess1458
10-30-2011, 07:11 AM
Arthur Crudup That's all right mama on a orange rca victor and the cats and the fiddle also on rca

tamla617
10-30-2011, 01:39 PM
1812 overture tchaikovsky! you asked for that! no base but plenty of cannons

BUT EVEN EARLIER

greensleeves by henry the eighth 1530's reggae version............VERSHARN

Sylversfan11
10-30-2011, 05:52 PM
Hey marv,thanks! If you saw the Sylvers Unsung episode,they had the clip of The Little Angels performing Olympia! Outside of that I don't think video is available to the average person! Only for educational/documentary work. I know TvOne has a Youtube channel,maybe they'll put it on there one day. That just got me thinking,you or I should just ask them to lol!

nosey
10-31-2011, 10:25 AM
I remember seeing them on the old Grouch Marx, You Bet in Your Life show back in the 50s. Was hoping they would show it on their Unsung but they didn't and people still think that I don't know what I'm talking about.

marv2
10-31-2011, 10:51 AM
Hey marv,thanks! If you saw the Sylvers Unsung episode,they had the clip of The Little Angels performing Olympia! Outside of that I don't think video is available to the average person! Only for educational/documentary work. I know TvOne has a Youtube channel,maybe they'll put it on there one day. That just got me thinking,you or I should just ask them to lol!

We probably should. That is a great piece of music history! I saw this documentary on Harry Belafonte last week and it immediately made me think of the television appearances of the Little Angels. Years ago in college I found an old issue of Ebony Magazine that had a great story and pictures of the "Little Angels".

marv2
10-31-2011, 10:53 AM
I remember seeing them on the old Grouch Marx, You Bet in Your Life show back in the 50s. Was hoping they would show it on their Unsung but they didn't and people still think that I don't know what I'm talking about.

Nosey, that is great. I seem to remember one of the independent television stations in Detroit showing old reruns of the "You Bet Your Life" back in the 70's. I wished I had seen their appearance on the show. Also would love to see footage of "little" Miss Gladys Knight on the Ted Mack Amatuer Hour.

Sylversfan11
10-31-2011, 11:58 AM
Hey nosey I know what you're talking about! They were also on the old Dinah Shore Show! Marv I have that same Ebony magazine! February 1961,with Ruby Dee and Ossie Davis on the cover! I bought it on Ebay three months ago! Do you want me to ask TvOne on Youtube for the clip?

marv2
10-31-2011, 01:49 PM
Hey nosey I know what you're talking about! They were also on the old Dinah Shore Show! Marv I have that same Ebony magazine! February 1961,with Ruby Dee and Ossie Davis on the cover! I bought it on Ebay three months ago! Do you want me to ask TvOne on Youtube for the clip?

Yes do it! Please ask them. I know a lot of people would enjoy seeing it. Thank you

Sylversfan11
10-31-2011, 10:56 PM
Hey marv,I asked them to upload not only the Little Angels but also Foster Sylvers and The Sylvers video performances! I told them if that's not possible,they could air a performance only Unsung like they did last year! I hope they give us something lol!

juicefree20
10-31-2011, 11:20 PM
I'd have to check, but my oldest records are actually 78s & off of the top of my head I'd say that The Orioles "Crying In The Chapel" & "Most Of All" by The Flamingos would be the oldest.

ajk93
11-01-2011, 04:27 PM
Nosey, that is great. I seem to remember one of the independent television stations in Detroit showing old reruns of the "You Bet Your Life" back in the 70's. I wished I had seen their appearance on the show. Also would love to see footage of "little" Miss Gladys Knight on the Ted Mack Amatuer Hour.

That would be AMAZING to see the Amatuer Hour clip. I have always
hoped someday, somehow it would surface.

robb_k
11-02-2011, 12:35 AM
I have "Good Rockin' Tonight" by Roy Brown on DeLuxe, and by Wynonie Harris on King, "Mighty Mighty Man' by Roy Brown [[DeLuxe), "I want A Bowlegged Woman" and "Big Ten Inch Record" by Bullmoose Jackson and His Buffalo Bearcats lots more on King Records, and many on early Atlantic), several by Louis Jordan and his Tympany Five on Decca, and The Ink Spots on Decca, "Rocket 69" by Connie Allen [[King), several by The Delta Rhythm Boys on RCA, and Wini Brown on RCA, Arthur Crudup on RCA [[and lots of others). I have too many 45s from the 1940s to mention. Of course, many of them are reprints from early to mid '40s 78s, repressed onto 45s near the end of the 1940s,and beginning of the 1950s. I had several of them on 78s as well. I also have hundreds of 1950-53 R&B 45s.

robb_k
11-02-2011, 12:37 AM

I'd have to check, but my oldest records are actually 78s & off of the top of my head I'd say that The Orioles "Crying In The Chapel" & "Most Of All" by The Flamingos would be the oldest. "Most of All" was sung by The Moonglows.

mark speck
11-02-2011, 08:27 PM
Probably something from the '50s...I have a LOT of '50s 45's...LOL!

Best,

Mark