PDA

View Full Version : The Temptations 25th anniversary Rare Tracks

test

soulstevie
06-18-2011, 04:16 PM
I´m just listening to volume II of the Temptations "25th anniversary" from 1986. Besides "A song for you" and "Papa was a rolling stone" recorded live in Japan, which were unavailable in the US at that time, the CD contains two more previously unreleased tracks called "Dreammaker" and "Thanks to you", both written and produced by Harold Johnson.

Does anybody have more informations about these songs?

paladin
06-18-2011, 04:29 PM
No, not really although I've had these songs for years. Dreammaker, if memory serves is Otis Williams lead vocals. "Thanks to you" is Dennis Edwards, I seem to remember them being slated for release on "Hear To Tempt you" but I may be wrong. Its been a while and I may be confusing releases. One of my favorite tracks is "Soulmate" which could have been slated for a similar release.

The Temptations were going through their usual upheavals during this period and who really knows why anything happened ?

soulstevie
06-18-2011, 04:44 PM
thanks Paladin,

your reply made me check again. Yes "Soulmate" it on there and also on "The Temptations: One by one". It was apparently recorded in 1974 during the "A song for you" sesssions. But as I checked "25th anniversary" again, I realized that it contains 17 previously unreleased songs. Unfortunately the liner notes aren`t very informative about when these songs were cut.

arrr&bee
06-18-2011, 05:12 PM
I too have this one of course,and while it does contain some rare gems..[it don't have to be this way]which is a great early lead from paul it omits two temps alltime classic...beauty's only skin deep..girl[why you wanna make me blue] i guess some choices had to be make but still a great album for temps fans.

paladin
06-18-2011, 07:50 PM
Look my friends it wasn't Hear To Tempt You, why I wrote that, I don't know, but it was House Party that I should have noted, not that its right, I just got the name of the album confused In my mind-I pictured the House Party cover but wrote HTTY. HTTY featured Louis Price as Dennis was gone. Rumor has it that The Temptations were not pleased with the songs on House Party but it was released anyway...go figure

RossHolloway
06-18-2011, 09:53 PM
Is anyone else suprised that more unreleased tracks never appeared from their time under Norman Whitfield? Especially from the years 68-73?

theboyfromxtown
06-19-2011, 03:38 AM
Do you have this 2 CD set?

http://www.amazon.com/Psychedlic-Soul-Temptations/dp/B00009V7U8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1308468856&sr=1-2

paladin
06-19-2011, 09:11 AM
This could have easily been a three CD set, they left out quite a few ballads and other songs produced by Norman, but it was a welcome complilation.

robbert
06-19-2011, 01:50 PM
What does Amazon mean by "Extra tracks"? I bought Psychedelic Soul in 2003 and the track listing is like Amazon shows it, 13 tracks on cd1 and 11 tracks on cd2. No extra tracks.

robbert
06-19-2011, 01:58 PM
Paladin, like the title says, Psychedelic Soul. It was no anthology, or something like it. Ballads in the strict musical sense wouldn't have fit on this concept. It's more than OK as it is, IMO.

theboyfromxtown
06-19-2011, 02:28 PM
It's my most played Temptations cd set. I love that period of the Temptations.

Psychedelic Shack itself is extended musically and follows a previously unheard line from Paul Williams.

robbert
06-19-2011, 03:40 PM
So no extra tracks. "Just" one extended track.
I'm one of those musical historians who would like to stick to the facts. You see, I don't have to sell records.

theboyfromxtown
06-19-2011, 03:48 PM
Robbert.

A lot of those tracks are different to what was originally released. HW put a great deal of effort into finding those extras and I sense it was a release that was too quickly passed over.

paladin
06-19-2011, 11:17 PM
This could have easily been a three CD set, they left out quite a few ballads and other songs produced by Norman, but it was a welcome compilation.

Robbert, I didn't say that it wasn't ok, maybe you misunderstood what I meant by ballad, to me Take a Look Around fits into that category as did Ain't No Justice, certainly I wasn't speaking of love songs, The Temptations made other songs that would have fit in this category vs some of the ones that were included. A song like Ain't No Sunshine comes to mind and You Need Love Like I Do Don't You. Which to me would have been preferable over Unite The World or their original version of War. Of course that's just my opinion. As far as Psychedelic Soul, who invented that term ? I actually thought the company would have released something better than this comp, [[ alternates takes etc) but the offerings were pretty poor, but it is what it is.

theboyfromxtown
06-20-2011, 02:33 AM
Paladin

You're touching a nerve when you mention Unite The World! LOLOLOL

How can I get you to love that song as much as I do

*smile*

paladin
06-20-2011, 08:10 AM
BoyfromMotown, what a memory you have. " Ding, dong ding, let the freedom bell ring" , I truly respect your opinion and lets face it, its the Tempts and they could sing dam near anything. I like the record but I'm not as passionate as you. My brother has a similar affection for "Let Your Hair Down" which I thought was ok, but I loved 1990, which IMO Dennis just wailed in his plaintive call to America.......America.......

Interesting enough, The Temptations became immensely popular during this time frame, because they changed as the times changed tackling the same issues that we read in the newspapers, War, racism, poverty, drugs. In fact we are still reading about those issues today and The Temptations are "Still Here".......:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

arrr&bee
06-21-2011, 05:03 PM
look my friends it wasn't hear to tempt you, why i wrote that, i don't know, but it was house party that i should have noted, not that its right, i just got the name of the album confused in my mind-i pictured the house party cover but wrote htty. Htty featured louis price as dennis was gone. Rumor has it that the temptations were not pleased with the songs on house party but it was released anyway...go figurehey paladin funny you would mention[house party]which otis hates if you listen carefully you're notice that some of those tracks are folk songs[johnny porter-ways of a grown up man]hahahaha the temps could sing the phonebook and make it soulful...temptations forever!!

paladin
06-21-2011, 09:16 PM
Actually it sounded like The Temptations imitating the Temptations, most of those songs would have been pure B sides or filler, the album cover sure as hell fooled ya as to what was inside.

Although its always nice to hear Melvin Franklin lead [[Ways Of A Grown Up Man) guitar intro was funky as hell, this album should have been called "No Directions" , My fav cuts were What You Need Most, I do Best of All, and Its Just a Matter of time, done by Glen and Dennis respectively. Otis's turn on Stand By Me was pretty good as well, but to a true Tempt fan, you knew something was wrong.

RossHolloway
07-13-2011, 01:53 PM
Do you have this 2 CD set?

http://www.amazon.com/Psychedlic-Soul-Temptations/dp/B00009V7U8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1308468856&sr=1-2

Yes, I do have that collection. I was originally talking about new songs that went unreleased from that time frame. I guess no one else finds it odd that the Temps didn't cut more material during this period, either produced by Norman Whitfield or from another producer...seems kinda odd considering how much all the other artist recorded during this golden era...

robbert
07-15-2011, 09:01 AM
Robbert. A lot of those tracks are different to what was originally released. HW put a great deal of effort into finding those extras and I sense it was a release that was too quickly passed over.
John, I checked the liner notes of the CD Psychedelic Soul.
Ps. Shack [["previously unreleased extended version") and Ball of Confusion [["p.u. alternate mix") are the only two 'special tracks'. All other tracks [[total of 22) are stated as 'single version'or 'album version'.
I have no intention of criticising the works of HW and his crew, hell no. But you say "A lot of those tracks are different to what was originally released" and I find that's not what the liner notes say, that's all. It's a hell of an album, Take A Stroll Throu Your Mind being my favorite. Eddie Kendricks at his very, very best!

I want facts. On paper in liner notes, in writing on the internet, I don't care where I get them from, as long as I can find them. I'm a journalist, remember.

And no, I'm not irritated or disappointed. I just want to call a spade a spade.

Is the weather at yours as non-summer-like as it is in Holland?