PDA

View Full Version : Diana- RCA songs live

test

khansperac
04-11-2023, 03:43 PM
Question/s for Soulful Detroit. There have been many discussions about “Pieces of Ice” and other RCA songs in general. A lot of you don’t care for Pieces of Ice, but how would you feel if she added this RCA song to her set list. Would it be a welcome surprise or would you still be complaining about the lyrics lol.

Also, if I had the opportunity during one of her Q&A’s I’d politely ask why she doesn’t/ and if she would ever consider adding some more RCA songs to her show. Let’s say she compromised and gifted us with an RCA medley. Which songs would be in your dream RCA medley?

SatansBlues
04-11-2023, 03:58 PM
Question/s for Soulful Detroit. There have been many discussions about “Pieces of Ice” and other RCA songs in general. A lot of you don’t care for Pieces of Ice, but how would you feel if she added this RCA song to her set list. Would it be a welcome surprise or would you still be complaining about the lyrics lol.

Also, if I had the opportunity during one of her Q&A’s I’d politely ask why she doesn’t/ and if she would ever consider adding some more RCA songs to her show. Let’s say she compromised and gifted us with an RCA medley. Which songs would be in your dream RCA medley?

The very first time that I saw Diana Ross in concert was the summer of 1983, just a couple weeks after her Central Park concert. One of the songs that she performed was her current release, Pieces of Ice. To this day, I still don't know the lyrics to this song or what it means.

Albator
04-11-2023, 04:07 PM
This is not going to be good if she does it live. It's about clean sound, nothing to act as an interpreter like she is.

When she did it back in 1983, it was mimed and she had it cut for the DVD.

I like it very much, much more than in 1983.

From the Ross album, I would love to hear, "that's how you start over", "up front", "love or loneliness" and once again "let's go up".

carlo
04-11-2023, 06:04 PM
I would love her to open her show with That's How You Start Over. It would be fun. Reminds me of how Patti was opening her show recently with Something Special, which is one of her lesser known 80's singles, from her Winner In You LP. Now it seems she moved it to the second song in her set, but it's still a cool choice. Patti brings out these occasional surprises, in her shows.

reese
04-11-2023, 06:21 PM
I could do without PIECES OF ICE. It doesn't seem like it would transfer well to being done in concert.

I would hate to see my favorite RCA songs like MIRROR, MIRROR and MISSING YOU reduced to a medley. But if it meant hearing them again, I'd take it.

daviddh
04-11-2023, 07:29 PM
That's how u start over
You do it
Touch by touch
Missing you
Crimes of passion
More and more
Hard for me to say
Shine
Summertime
Swept away
Chain reaction
Who
Love lies
I'm watching you

jobeterob
04-11-2023, 08:33 PM
Mirror Mirror and Missing You

We already get WDFFIL

Albator
04-12-2023, 01:28 AM
"Swept away" was a great intro to her shows.

sup_fan
04-12-2023, 09:25 AM
Pieces of Ice is all about the synthesizer and studio gimmicks. there are often lots of songs that really struggle to move from studio to stage. some songs are really more about the production than the lyric or vocals. Same with Time To Break Down. the live version on Flip Wilson is rather dreadful IMO. or at least it differs drastically from the lp version.

i think someone once mentioned that Cindy commented on how difficult it was to recreate something like Stoned Love due to the layered vocals. or loving country. Or listen to the horrifying live versions of Nathan Jones and HMM, both on the Tonight Show.

Albator
04-12-2023, 02:43 PM
I find Chain reaction dreadful live and Upside down isn't far from that.
But her Forum rendition was more than perfect and the small part she did on Central Park too.

So, maybe she's got bored singing it.

Boogiedown
04-12-2023, 02:49 PM
Pieces of Ice is all about the synthesizer and studio gimmicks. there are often lots of songs that really struggle to move from studio to stage. some songs are really more about the production than the lyric or vocals. Same with Time To Break Down. the live version on Flip Wilson is rather dreadful IMO. or at least it differs drastically from the lp version.

i think someone once mentioned that Cindy commented on how difficult it was to recreate something like Stoned Love due to the layered vocals. or loving country. Or listen to the horrifying live versions of Nathan Jones and HMM, both on the Tonight Show.

Excellence point.

This was one of the things that created a divide for the Beatles. John loved the wizardry of studio shenanigans and production. Could spend hours doing that, never mind being on the road. Paul cared more about touring as a band and having the music geared for that.

sup_fan
04-12-2023, 07:30 PM
I find Chain reaction dreadful live and Upside down isn't far from that.
But her Forum rendition was more than perfect and the small part she did on Central Park too.

So, maybe she's got bored singing it.

Upside Down live is most definitely very different but it can still work. if you get the band really grooving and going, then at least its a lot of fun. plus the lyrics are like a chant/nursery rhyme.

Levi Stubbs Tears
04-13-2023, 07:09 AM
Upside Down live is most definitely very different but it can still work.

It would be awesome to hear Diana live [[even now) singing it on stage with Chic [[even now) backing her. I'm not sure her voice now is strong enough to knock them out of the ball-park, but the Chic girls would help cover any inadequacies.

The Chic instrumentation is the foundation for the success of those songs and sadly none of Diana's backing bands for the last 40 years can get anywhere close.

Ollie9
04-13-2023, 07:18 AM
It would be awesome to hear Diana live [[even now) singing it on stage with Chic [[even now) backing her. I'm not sure her voice now is strong enough to knock them out of the ball-park, but the Chic girls would help cover any inadequacies.

The Chic instrumentation is the foundation for the success of those songs and sadly none of Diana's backing bands for the last 40 years can get anywhere close.

As regards her own backing band, i think the Forum 81 concert to be pretty good, containing probably her best live versions of “Upside Down” And “Coming Out”.

Spreadinglove21
04-13-2023, 07:47 AM
I saw Nile Rodgers and his current Chic group open for Duran Duran at MSG last fall. They played Upside Down and they did a great job of it. Audience was into it. I'm Coming Out was played as well. But somehow I doubt Diana Ross could be persuaded to step out on stage as a guest performer for a future show by Nile Rodgers/Chic.

Ollie9
04-13-2023, 08:22 AM
I think one the funkiest and most fun versions of “Upside Down” to be Diana’s live duet with Jamiroquai in 97. A full album together would have been even better. :cool:

mindful1
04-13-2023, 09:20 AM
I think one the funkiest and most fun versions of “Upside Down” to be Diana’s live duet with Jamiroquai in 97. A full album together would have been even better. :cool:

Yes! This is the beat live version- making me see how good this song can and should be live. I do think her band is capable of it- and sometimes they do show how they can step it up a notch or two....

Ollie9
04-13-2023, 10:01 AM
Yes! This is the beat live version- making me see how good this song can and should be live. I do think her band is capable of it- and sometimes they do show how they can step it up a notch or two....

It’s taken at a slightly faster pace with a really thumping bass. Diana and Jamiroquai sound terrific together, while the interview with the two of them chatting about how they met is cute.