PDA

View Full Version : "You Were The One" : Diana Ross

test

TNSUN
03-26-2023, 06:58 AM
Great danceable song by Diana Ross. This song is is fresh and sounds so new. Enjoy the music and get up and DANCE!

sup_fan
03-27-2023, 09:55 AM
this is by far the strongest disco track she recorded between LH and The Boss. I agree that that it would have probably charted quite well. I don't know that it's a "classic" though. songs like LH or Upside Down are just so identifiable as DR songs. this is a good dance track and holds up well. but i don't think it quite reaches the level of the others. I could see it charting well though

RanRan79
03-27-2023, 10:27 AM
Incredibly missed single opportunity here. Again, who the hell was in charge of these things? I really love "What You Gave Me" but how do you pick that over "You Were the One"?

Anyway, it's a helluva song. Diana's lead, the Jones Girls' backing, the musical track, it all came together to make a fantastic cut. I play it often.

Ollie9
03-27-2023, 11:09 AM
Lyrics such as “The handsome prince rides in and then sweeps me off my feet” might have proved a stumbling block to its success. More Mills and Boon then erotic funk.

daviddh
03-28-2023, 06:02 PM
love this song. gem. missed hit

captainjames
03-28-2023, 09:59 PM
awesome track and a mis opportunity. Diana and the Jones Girls were at the top of their game on this one.

RanRan79
03-29-2023, 08:42 AM
Diana and the Jones Girls were at the top of their game on this one.

Weren't they? I don't know, maybe its because I'm so familiar with Diana's voice as a Supreme that it seems to me that there's something magical when she's backed up by women. She's going to sound good whether solo or backed by men, or backed by a mix of men and women, but there's just something about her sound when it's paired with other women that takes it up a notch, IMO.

sup_fan
03-29-2023, 09:50 AM
Weren't they? I don't know, maybe its because I'm so familiar with Diana's voice as a Supreme that it seems to me that there's something magical when she's backed up by women. She's going to sound good whether solo or backed by men, or backed by a mix of men and women, but there's just something about her sound when it's paired with other women that takes it up a notch, IMO.

that's a good point. i didn't care for the backing vocals on Caesar's Palace because it was a small mixed group - men and women. of course if it's a choir like Amazing Grace or 99 1/2 then sure. but Diana with the jones girls, the female backing voices on the various Masser tunes, etc.

meanwhile, the deeper, huskier voice of Gladys Knight works perfectly with the male voices of the Pips. i don't think that group would have worked nearly as well as all women.