PDA

View Full Version : Classic Diana Ross Song Ballads vs Pop Songs

test

TNSUN
02-15-2023, 02:29 PM
I would rate Diana Ross' "velvet" musical tone with Karen Carpenter, Dinah Shore, Anne Murray and Doris Day. After "Lady Sings the Blues" and "Touch Me in The Morning" the albums seemed more "pop" oriented. Every album, akin to the song, "It's My Turn" or "Touch Me in The Morning" would have been my listening forte.
As for live performances, when Diana Ross is in a jazzy Ella Fitzgerald groove, I am in heaven. I rank Diana Ross' "Our Love is Here to Stay" as an equal to Ella's.

Gil Askey conducting the band in Copenhagen is so pleased with Diana Ross' singing that he is happy and dancing in circles!

Always wondered if Diana studied Ella and Sarah as much as Billie.

reese
02-15-2023, 02:45 PM
I'm sure Gil was very proud of Diana. He witnessed her growth from being a kid at the Copa to performing her show on Broadway.

Bluebrock
02-16-2023, 04:06 AM
I would rate Diana Ross' "velvet" musical tone with Karen Carpenter, Dinah Shore, Anne Murray and Doris Day. After "Lady Sings the Blues" and "Touch Me in The Morning" the albums seemed more "pop" oriented. Every album, akin to the song, "It's My Turn" or "Touch Me in The Morning" would have been my listening forte.
As for live performances, when Diana Ross is in a jazzy Ella Fitzgerald groove, I am in heaven. I rank Diana Ross' "Our Love is Here to Stay" as an equal to Ella's.

Gil Askey conducting the band in Copenhagen is so pleased with Diana Ross' singing that he is happy and dancing in circles!

She was certainly a fan of Ella. She often listened to the Songbook albums in her dressing room. Streisand was another favourite of hers. I don't recall her ever listening to Sarah, but she may well have done.

Ollie9
02-16-2023, 07:02 AM

They might have recorded some of the same songs but that’s where the similarities end.
Diana is a light soprano with Karen Carpenter, Anne Murray and Sarah Vaughn being contralto. Their musical tone sounding nothing alike whatsoever.
Diana approximated some of Billie Holidays nuances into her singing for LSTB, but few would describe her voice as being rounded and velvet toned as in the style of the singers you mention. More Tammi Terrell then Doris Day I would say.
Diana’s unique, high pitched, light and breathy style fitting most musical genres from pop, r&b to jazz being what makes her sound special.

sup_fan
02-16-2023, 10:21 AM
i think the vocal chameleon that is DR is what i love the most. her work with jazz standards and the American Songbook is wonderful. then you layer in her stunning mega ballads. then add on top of that is fiery and impassioned work on Mountain and The Boss.

for live shows, i don't think you can get a better example than the 79 HBO special while on The Boss tour. her voice is magnificent here. her rendition of My Man is so good [[although I might ever so slightly prefer the version on Evening With).

Guy
02-19-2023, 01:09 PM
Immersing herself in Billie Holliday for LSTB had a profound impact on the way she interprets. She can find the pathos in the lyric and exploit that sentiment just as readily as she can radiate joy and exuberance. "Reach Out I'll Be There" is a great example of how she moves from pain to ecstasy.