PDA

View Full Version : "Nightflight" Tue Jun 14, 9P-12M ET: Joyce Vincent & Pam Vincent...LIVE!

test

midnight johnny
06-14-2011, 01:34 PM

Hello there, Folks! Tonight....a very special show for you. Live....by phone....for virtually the whole show...2 ladies who have been part of our music culture for....well, let's just say...for over 40 years....Joyce and Pam Vincent. Apart from singing background on numerous and very popular hits songs, Joyce was a member of Golden World's Debonaires; both Joyce and Pam did backgrounds for a variety of Motown tracks; both Joyce and Pam, along with Telma Hopkins did extensive background vocal work for HDH's Invictus/Hot Wax records and productions [[Dionne Warwick's exquisite "Just Being Myself" album); Tony Orlando and DAWN [[which, on all recordings Dawn was comprised of Joyce, Telma AND Pam...and Pam did a number of background vocals for their popular CBS variety show as well); in the '70's Pam was a member of Brandye along with Donna Davis and Cynthia Douglas; Joyce was chosen to be a member of Scherrie Payne's and Susaye Greene's Supremes just before Mary Wilson and Diana Ross got Berry Gordy to disband the group; Pam toured with Aretha Franklin; Joyce became a member of the Former Ladies of the Supremes; and Joyce and Pam are members, along with Theresa Davis, Jim Gilstrap and Scherrie Payne, of the amazing jazz-soul ensemble Tour de 4Force.
And I'm SURE I left LOTS out that will be revealed by Joyce and Pam Vincent...the Vincent Sisters...tonight...on "Nightflight"...on WOMR 92.1 FM Provincetown and WFMR 91.3 FM Orleans and streaming live worldwide in digital stereo at www.womr.org [[http://www.womr.org)

Please...no phone calls tonight....I will be on the phone with the Vincent Sisters!
I want to thank Jim Saphin of the U.K. and John Caratelli of the U.S.A. for their support
of Pam and Joyce [[and Telma) and Tour De 4Force...and both for helping to make this show possible! Thanks, Guys!

And thanks to all of you too!

John

theboyfromxtown
06-14-2011, 01:57 PM
You guys are SO lucky

John...Can you give the ladies some British love on behalf of their many supporters who will MISS out on this grand occasion unless you do a podcast!

Hint hint

PS Joseph ...those photos I sent you probably had Jim posing somewhere.......mind you, it was 43 years ago!! HAHA

Ramone Verona
06-14-2011, 03:06 PM
Can't wait for this one!
What an interesting career for both!
I remember really enjoying seeing Joyce and Telma on their TV show doing skits in between songs and guests.
Hope Joyce reveals more on how it all went down with almost becoming a Supreme.
Her side of the story is needed to identify perhaps which songs on the PARTNERS-LP [[which she sang on) were slated as numbers for the next Supremes LP.
Did she attend any photo shoots?
Try on any gowns for fitting?
Do any rehearsing or studio work?
Ever have a conversation with Mary about becoming a Supreme?

I know better, but wouldn't it just slay me if there was another Supremes LP or tracks in the vaults with SS&Joyce!!
It would slay you, too!
:)

theboyfromxtown
06-14-2011, 03:20 PM
Ramone-Those are excellent questions, much better than what I could offer. I am really pleased that you posted them.

John-You might ask about a very important part of their careeer when they were the "voices" of Motown's studio background vocalists. I heard it Thru The Grapevine for example. If they do go into detail, you might understand why some are careful when identifying Motown's background singers.

Can you also ask about the "Love Child" album. However, we do know that Louvaine was on Love Child.

I "heard" that the two sisters worked a lot with Jimmy Ruffin.

I hope you're gonna do a podcast.

Ramone Verona
06-14-2011, 03:38 PM
I bet Xtown has a LOVE CHILD LP where he peeled back the cover and found a picture of Diana and Mary and Joyce!!!
OH!! I'M BOTH SLAYED AND JEALOUS!!
:)
I knew fans were touchy about Motown background vocalists in discussions but were Motowners [[the ones "there") touchy or competitive, also?

theboyfromxtown
06-14-2011, 05:38 PM
John

When I click live...I use Real Player...but they are both Real Player...so which one should I use

JimBagley
06-14-2011, 06:40 PM
So looking forward to tonight's show, John. Just a couple of comments directed toward Pam, if you have time to discuss them with her.
-Is it true Tony, Joyce, and Telma didn't like "Tie A Yellow Ribbon" and they only recorded it because Pam insisted it would be a big hit?
-Pam did a phenomenal job with the vocal arrangements on the Tour de 4Force and the TOAD Christmas albums. How long has she been doing vocal arrangements?
And if you get a chance to play Margie Joseph's "Stop In The Name Of Love," Pam, Joyce, and Telma take turns yelling "STOP IT" on the chorus. Do they remember the order [[first, second, last) in which they yelled.

Thanks. I'll be listening. Jim

midnight johnny
06-14-2011, 07:04 PM
John

When I click live...I use Real Player...but they are both Real Player...so which one should I use

Try both, John....

midnight johnny
06-14-2011, 07:05 PM
So looking forward to tonight's show, John. Just a couple of comments directed toward Pam, if you have time to discuss them with her.
-Is it true Tony, Joyce, and Telma didn't like "Tie A Yellow Ribbon" and they only recorded it because Pam insisted it would be a big hit?
-Pam did a phenomenal job with the vocal arrangements on the Tour de 4Force and the TOAD Christmas albums. How long has she been doing vocal arrangements?
And if you get a chance to play Margie Joseph's "Stop In The Name Of Love," Pam, Joyce, and Telma take turns yelling "STOP IT" on the chorus. Do they remember the order [[first, second, last) in which they yelled.

Thanks. I'll be listening. Jim
Great, Jim....thanks...I'll do my best!

sophisticated_soul
06-14-2011, 07:51 PM
Hey Johnny, really looking forward to the Vincent Sisters interview tonight. It's only through recent research that I have come to realize how involved Pam was with Dawn. She was basically an uncredited member of the group. Very interested in hearing about the various artists they have done background for. Sounds as though they were as busy as the Blossoms as background singers. Break a leg, buddy.:cool:

chestersong
06-14-2011, 07:56 PM
i won't be missing this one. thank you for having these two interviewed!

lovechild
06-14-2011, 08:00 PM
Hi JP
This is going ot be a great show tonight - looking forward to it!

chestersong
06-14-2011, 08:03 PM
can someone in the know tell me something about the end of TOAD. i read here on a thread that one of, if not their last, show in the seventies ended with some "breakdown" on-stage. what incident took place? the story doesn't have to be graphic; just wanted some information. i'm so glad the group is still close today!

theboyfromxtown
06-14-2011, 08:11 PM
Try both, John....

I pressed the top one and record/

midnight johnny
06-14-2011, 08:29 PM
Joseph and Chester and Tony.....thanks!!!! ......running to the station to set up.....break a leg all!

JimBagley
06-14-2011, 08:40 PM
Hey Johnny, really looking forward to the Vincent Sisters interview tonight. It's only through recent research that I have come to realize how involved Pam was with Dawn. She was basically an uncredited member of the group. Very interested in hearing about the various artists they have done background for. Sounds as though they were as busy as the Blossoms as background singers. Break a leg, buddy.:cool:

Joseph,
I would have told you about Pam. All you had to do was ask.

midnight johnny
06-14-2011, 08:57 PM
....Hiya, all! In the studio at ye olde schoolhouse....

sophisticated_soul
06-14-2011, 08:59 PM
Joseph,
I would have told you about Pam. All you had to do was ask.

Hey Jim, I had no idea. I would have asked.:cool:

JimBagley
06-14-2011, 09:02 PM
Hey Jim, I had no idea. I would have asked.:cool:

That makes sense.

JimBagley
06-14-2011, 09:03 PM
John Caratelli is listening and online [[as John Dawn), but isn't able to post yet.

midnight johnny
06-14-2011, 09:11 PM
John Caratelli is listening and online [[as John Dawn), but isn't able to post yet.

Thanks Jim!!

JimBagley
06-14-2011, 09:14 PM
Get your fingers twirlin' folks!

sophisticated_soul
06-14-2011, 09:17 PM
Question for Pam:

Being a behind the scenes member of Tony Orlando & Dawn, was Pam ever called upon to sub for either Joyce or Telma
in concert? Many thanks to Pam and Joyce for being with us tonight.:)

JimBagley
06-14-2011, 09:48 PM
Give Pam and Joyce back their books, John.

JimBagley
06-14-2011, 09:54 PM
And you sang on recordings by... Freda Payne? Yes. Laura Lee? Yes. 8th Day? Yes. Flaming Ember? Yes. 100 Proof Aged In Soul? Yes. Glass House? Yes. Chairmen of the Board? Yes. Anyone you didn't sing with? Tiny Tim.

JimBagley
06-14-2011, 10:23 PM
One final question if you have time:

Is it true Lou Effie and Mo'reen was the inspiration for Laverne and Shirley and that Fred Silverman loved this skit when he was at CBS and wanted something similar when he went to work at ABC.

pj1
06-14-2011, 10:32 PM
According to Ralph Terrana, Telma, Joyce and Bunny worked as background vocalists for his sessions with Stoney and Meatloaf. Who was Bunny?

theboyfromxtown
06-14-2011, 10:47 PM
Made it wow

I woke up during Dionne

sophisticated_soul
06-14-2011, 10:48 PM
Made it wow

I woke up during Dionne

Good morning, John.:cool:

sophisticated_soul
06-14-2011, 10:52 PM
Hey Johnny, thanks for playing "Her Picture Matches Mine", one of my absolute favorites.:cool:

theboyfromxtown
06-14-2011, 10:53 PM
Joseph

Morning!!!!

It's the middle of the night......the clock says 3:52 am

theboyfromxtown
06-14-2011, 10:54 PM
Big hugs to all from London and of course to the special ladies!

JimBagley
06-14-2011, 10:57 PM

Thanks, I'll take one for me.

sophisticated_soul
06-14-2011, 10:58 PM
Joseph

Morning!!!!

It's the middle of the night......the clock says 3:52 am

Here in San Diego its 7:57pm.

theboyfromxtown
06-14-2011, 11:00 PM
xxx to Jim....

pj1
06-14-2011, 11:03 PM
In the Soulful Detroit archives, Millie mentions being taken by Dennis Coffey to a recording session in which Telma & Joyce were doing background for a Motown version of 'Bridge Over Troubled Waters'. Does Joyce remember this? And for which group/artist these backgrounds were going to be used?

sophisticated_soul
06-14-2011, 11:03 PM

I'm greedy, I want two just for me!:)

theboyfromxtown
06-14-2011, 11:05 PM
Baby you can take me home.

Ooops wrong thread! HAHA

theboyfromxtown
06-14-2011, 11:06 PM
Johnny....that is naughty...

Those Terrana twins were naughty boys!

jobeterob
06-14-2011, 11:07 PM
A short twin and a tall twin! Love it.

These are fun ladies; glad to hear them.

Who are their favorite artists? And favorite songs?

theboyfromxtown
06-14-2011, 11:08 PM
What was it like with Motwon watching them in the background [[at Invictus)

My gawd.....they worked as much as the Blossoms

theboyfromxtown
06-14-2011, 11:09 PM
Even Rob is here....

Knock me down with a feather

theboyfromxtown
06-14-2011, 11:11 PM
Have I missed the Debonaires chats?

Ramone Verona
06-14-2011, 11:11 PM
Can Joyce answer as to why Freddie left The FLOS?

Thank you!

These girls are a BLAST!!!

pj1
06-14-2011, 11:12 PM
John,
You never asked them who Bunny was who sang with Telma & Joyce for the Stoney & Meatloaf sessions. Could you please ask?

JimBagley
A short twin and a tall twin! Love it.

These are fun ladies; glad to hear them.

Who are their favorite artists? And favorite songs?

Rob,
Welcome back to the dark side.

sophisticated_soul
Baby you can take me home.

Ooops wrong thread! HAHA

Baby What You Want Me To Do - Etta James

pj1
06-14-2011, 11:13 PM
In the Soulful Detroit archives, Millie mentions being taken by Dennis Coffey to a recording session in which Telma & Joyce were doing background for a Motown version of 'Bridge Over Troubled Waters'. Does Joyce remember this? And for which group/artist these backgrounds were going to be used?

They haven't answered this one yet...

theboyfromxtown
06-14-2011, 11:14 PM
Stay as Sweet as You Are-I think it's Nat King Cole

theboyfromxtown
06-14-2011, 11:15 PM
Why cant we get Jerry to put it out......

JimBagley
06-14-2011, 11:26 PM
What happened to Brandye?

theboyfromxtown
06-14-2011, 11:28 PM
Did you ask about Marvin Gaye's Grapevine?

sophisticated_soul
06-14-2011, 11:28 PM
Sweeter As The Days Go By - Chris Clark

theboyfromxtown
06-14-2011, 11:29 PM
Have you asked about the Debonaires and Joyce's solo 45...that might be a revelation

pj1
06-14-2011, 11:29 PM

texassoul
06-14-2011, 11:30 PM
Sorry I'm late. Just locked on to "Shaft". Still missing the big guy, Isaac Hayes.

8supremes
06-14-2011, 11:34 PM
Are the Former ladies of the Supremes doing any new recordings with Joyce?

theboyfromxtown
06-14-2011, 11:36 PM
What happened to Brandye?

It's in the cupboard next to the lemonade

texassoul
06-14-2011, 11:42 PM
Tour de 4Force is amazing!!

theboyfromxtown
06-14-2011, 11:43 PM

It could be a few people....I just looked it up

pj1
06-14-2011, 11:46 PM
John L,
I know it could be a few... but, I'm curious as to which one....

theboyfromxtown
06-14-2011, 11:48 PM
Are there any set plans for UK visits?

theboyfromxtown
06-14-2011, 11:49 PM
John L,
I know it could be a few... but, I'm curious as to which one....

Mike-That's why it's a good question

theboyfromxtown
06-14-2011, 11:51 PM
When will you guys be donig a European edition of this broadcast...

That's one that aint in the middle of the night!

LOL

sophisticated_soul
06-14-2011, 11:51 PM
Beautiful remix of "Mornin' Beautiful" Johnny! Very cool.:cool:

theboyfromxtown
06-14-2011, 11:54 PM
It's not an easy CD to get.

Amazon do it

theboyfromxtown
06-14-2011, 11:58 PM
John

Just stick to carrying the bags....leave the singing

LOLOL

sophisticated_soul
06-14-2011, 11:59 PM
Amazing show, John! Ladies, Thank You so much. It was an absolute joy listening to you both. Please do come back.:)

pj1
06-15-2011, 12:01 AM
America Sings- Gospel Music Channel . Next Wednesday 9 & 10 P.M.

sophisticated_soul
06-15-2011, 12:05 AM
America Sings- Gospel Music Channel . Next Wednesday 9 & 10 P.M.

Thanks for posting this!

rod_rick
06-15-2011, 12:11 AM
I missed the show tonight John, will you putting this on the site as a podcast or on youtube?

midnight johnny
06-15-2011, 06:54 AM
Beautiful remix of "Mornin' Beautiful" Johnny! Very cool.:cool:

Thank you, Joseph!

midnight johnny
06-15-2011, 06:58 AM
I missed the show tonight John, will you putting this on the site as a podcast or on youtube?

Rod....sorry you missed the show. I must edit the show...which might take a little while, but it will become a podcast.

midnight johnny
06-15-2011, 07:02 AM
Amazing show, John! Ladies, Thank You so much. It was an absolute joy listening to you both. Please do come back.:)

Thanks, Joseph...it was for me too....I still can't believe I actually talked with those voices that graced all those Invictus/Hot Wax tracks....and that I got to play some of those tracks for them.
Man...you're right...Pam and Joyce ARE a joy.......

midnight johnny
06-15-2011, 07:08 AM
Have you asked about the Debonaires and Joyce's solo 45...that might be a revelation

John...we talked tons about the Debonaires early in the show. Re: the single "Solid as a Rock" by Joyce Vincent, as it is identified on the Groovesville compilation....Joyce said it isn't her at all...she sounded completely certain.

midnight johnny
06-15-2011, 07:09 AM
Sorry I'm late. Just locked on to "Shaft". Still missing the big guy, Isaac Hayes.

Hey Mike...sorry I missed you last night! Glad you caught some of the show!

midnight johnny
06-15-2011, 07:10 AM
Did you ask about Marvin Gaye's Grapevine?

They said it's the Andantes!

midnight johnny
06-15-2011, 07:14 AM
Hey Johnny, thanks for playing "Her Picture Matches Mine", one of my absolute favorites.:cool:

Joseph....I know....and mine too...it was in my plans all along [[*grin).....

midnight johnny
06-15-2011, 07:19 AM
Thanks to all of you for listening...and for your questions! This show was a real dream come true for me....thanks to Pam and Joyce...true ladies and artists. And thanks again to Jim Saphin and John Caratelli!!

midnight johnny
06-15-2011, 07:35 AM
...oh....I was so engrossed in the show, I forgot to mention...

SDF's OWN "dba"...David B. Abbot of NYC will be doing his semi-yearly Supremes/Diana Ross "Listener's Choice" show next week. I'll be here in P-Town...he will be in NYC....I will be his engineer....looking forward to it, David!! Thanks!

dba
06-15-2011, 08:09 AM
I thought we had settled on the 28th of June which would be two weeks from now.

Looking forward to it.

Also am glad this weeks show will be a pod cast.

dba

texassoul
06-15-2011, 08:14 AM
Following in the footsteps of the Funk Brothers, shouldn't someone do a movie about the Andantes?

midnight johnny
06-15-2011, 08:19 AM
I thought we had settled on the 28th of June which would be two weeks from now.

Looking forward to it.

Also am glad this weeks show will be a pod cast.

dba

OOOOPS! You are so right, dba! June 28th.....!!! Sorry...and thanks!

rod_rick
06-15-2011, 11:21 AM
Rod....sorry you missed the show. I must edit the show...which might take a little while, but it will become a podcast.

Thanks look forward to it. So Telma sang with the Andantes on Grapevine?

TMSG
06-15-2011, 11:30 AM
Hi,
Were these the girls that sang on the background of Marvin's "Grapevine". I remember an interview in the 70's with Dawn and the girl members of the group said thatthey had featured on the session.

redlabs
06-15-2011, 05:08 PM
Hey John, i am soooo sorry i missed this show.i was called out of town due to a sick relative and just got back.hope i can hear the show soon. thanks david

redlabs
06-15-2011, 05:10 PM
i am looking forward to the podcast.thanks. and yes your mix of Mornin Beautful is great!

rod_rick
06-15-2011, 07:55 PM
Telma has stated that she sang on Grapevine. I heard her sing it live on the now canceled Wayne Brady show. When she sang the chorus, it sure sound like her on the original

midnight johnny
06-15-2011, 09:31 PM
Well...if there is a question about who is singing background on Grapevine after Joyce and Pam said that they are no on the track....and if some think it might be Telma Hopkins....[[I personally think it is clearly the Andantes without question).... give a listen to my remix of the original song with only the background voices, James Jamerson's bass and the Detroit Strings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhdW9PvpC90