PDA

View Full Version : Ross' Publicist' Statement Regarding Supremes Lifetime Achievement Award

test

Boogiedown
02-08-2023, 03:09 PM
Its brief, concise.

As mentioned in comments here, the release not mentioning the actual award itself is indeed most bizarre.

Looking it over, it also doesn't mention something else: See if you notice:

“Performing with two talented woman, Mary Wilson and Florence Ballard, is a memory that will be in my heart forever. It was a beautiful symphony. Motown was such an incredible family. I'm forever grateful for the blessed opportunity.”

Does it sound like Diana ?
Does it sound more like something an unnamed publicist might quickly whip out?

or
is it very carefully worded ........

Circa 1824
02-08-2023, 03:29 PM
Its brief, concise.

As mentioned in comments here, the release not mentioning the actual award itself is indeed most bizarre.

Looking it over, it also doesn't mention something else: See if you notice:

Does it sound like Diana ?
Does it sound more like something an unnamed publicist might quickly whip out?

or
is it very carefully worded ........

Diana’s use of the written language is poor. She did not write this. Why was Cindy not mentioned? Cindy was my second favorite Supreme after Diana.

Boogiedown
02-08-2023, 03:37 PM
Diana’s use of the written language is poor. She did not write this. Why was Cindy not mentioned? Cindy was my second favorite Supreme after Diana.

That's a good point. Did grammy ever define what they meant by "The Supremes" when they were finally honoring them?
.... who - and who not, and why - and why not?

Boogiedown
02-08-2023, 03:49 PM
So how did this unnamed publicist' statement come to be ?? And only Variety [??] picked up on it??

It makes me think that Variety called "them" for comment and this was the answer they got. If so , surely they also called to find out how excited Diana Ross must be about getting her latest album nominated and would she like to comment on that as well?

Probably with the two awards happening the same year, they were hoping for a framework to build an article around, an interview ....

Circa 1824
02-08-2023, 08:30 PM
That's a good point. Did grammy ever define what they meant by "The Supremes" when they were finally honoring them?
.... who - and who not, and why - and why not?

Which songs, if any, did Cindy record with the Ross era Supremes?

Boogiedown
02-08-2023, 08:35 PM
Which songs, if any, did Cindy record with the Ross era Supremes?

That sounds like a great question for your Diana Ross interview !

hee hee

Circa 1824
02-08-2023, 11:30 PM
That sounds like a great question for your Diana Ross interview !

hee hee

BoogieWoogie, I will ask Ross why she thinks Cindy and her role has been marginalized. Oprah said she never considered Cindy a Supreme during her interview with Ross. Diana did not challenge that statement nor defend Cindy.

Cindy was in the group during TCB, countless TV appearances, and so many historic songs. SHE IS A SUPREME !!!

milven
02-09-2023, 01:36 AM
....Cindy was in the group during TCB, countless TV appearances, and so many historic songs. SHE IS A SUPREME !!!

Of course she was a Supreme. And a reliable one. She came in when Flo was having troubles, left, but came in while pregnant while Jean was out, came back into the group when Jean and Lynda left only to get fired, and then came back in again after the group disbanded and went out with Mary as a Supreme in Mary Wilson and the Supremes

marybrewster
02-09-2023, 10:03 AM
I think the original statement said Florence "Ballad".

sup_fan
02-09-2023, 10:24 AM
BoogieWoogie, I will ask Ross why she thinks Cindy and her role has been marginalized. Oprah said she never considered Cindy a Supreme during her interview with Ross. Diana did not challenge that statement nor defend Cindy.

Cindy was in the group during TCB, countless TV appearances, and so many historic songs. SHE IS A SUPREME !!!

this was definitely a rather awkward moment in the interview. my guess was diana was just ad libbing on the fly. her point i think more was "we were all hoping Blondie would come back" and probably more just in general, throughout the whole period. sort of "we were all hoping blondie would get herself back together in late 66 and through early 67"

but i do find it odd that at the Hall of Fame, the hollywood star, etc it's always and only MFD

RanRan79
02-09-2023, 12:08 PM
but i do find it odd that at the Hall of Fame, the hollywood star, etc it's always and only MFD

Because to the general public, the Supremes are Diana, Florence and Mary. If the Supremes had started in 1967 with "Reflections" and ended with "Someday" in 1969, they would be remembered as a good group with a few hits before it's lead singer went on to greater success. If the Supremes had only been known from 1964-1967, the Flo tenure, when they racked up 10 number ones and a few additional hits, with hit albums, they would still be "hall of fame" material, remembered by all forever.

As much as we love Cindy, and even Jean, they weren't a part of what really made the Supremes THE SUPREMES.

sup_fan
02-09-2023, 12:17 PM
Because to the general public, the Supremes are Diana, Florence and Mary. If the Supremes had started in 1967 with "Reflections" and ended with "Someday" in 1969, they would be remembered as a good group with a few hits before it's lead singer went on to greater success. If the Supremes had only been known from 1964-1967, the Flo tenure, when they racked up 10 number ones and a few additional hits, with hit albums, they would still be "hall of fame" material, remembered by all forever.

As much as we love Cindy, and even Jean, they weren't a part of what really made the Supremes THE SUPREMES.

that would be fine though if that was the case with other groups. but the Temps and MRATV included more than just their classic lineups in these recognitions.

RanRan79
02-09-2023, 12:35 PM
that would be fine though if that was the case with other groups. but the Temps and MRATV included more than just their classic lineups in these recognitions.

I think that comes down to the arbitrary nature of these things. Dennis was often included with the classic lineup most likely because he was a lead singer. Some of the Tempts most memorable cuts have Dennis on lead. To those making the decision, that might have carried more weight than Cindy replacing Florence.

Rumor has it that Martha would refuse her induction if all the Vandellas weren't included. I see all the ladies names on the HOF site, except Sandra. Why induct Lois but not Sandra? Why would Martha insist that the post Betty lineup be inducted when they barely had a hit? The answer to both questions is: Lois is Martha's sister. That's my guess anyway.:cool:

sup_fan
02-09-2023, 12:51 PM
I think that comes down to the arbitrary nature of these things. Dennis was often included with the classic lineup most likely because he was a lead singer. Some of the Tempts most memorable cuts have Dennis on lead. To those making the decision, that might have carried more weight than Cindy replacing Florence.

Rumor has it that Martha would refuse her induction if all the Vandellas weren't included. I see all the ladies names on the HOF site, except Sandra. Why induct Lois but not Sandra? Why would Martha insist that the post Betty lineup be inducted when they barely had a hit? The answer to both questions is: Lois is Martha's sister. That's my guess anyway.:cool:

yeah i get it and all. it's just the daydream of having the 70s lineups recognized too. i thought it was so terrible when L and S were referred to as "fake supremes" with RTL. all of the scandal and snarkiness aside regarding RTL, those ladies were OFFICIAL supremes. just sort of maddening when even the key players like Mary and Diana don't acknowledge this.

RanRan79
02-09-2023, 01:41 PM
yeah i get it and all. it's just the daydream of having the 70s lineups recognized too. i thought it was so terrible when L and S were referred to as "fake supremes" with RTL. all of the scandal and snarkiness aside regarding RTL, those ladies were OFFICIAL supremes. just sort of maddening when even the key players like Mary and Diana don't acknowledge this.

When you put it like that, I think you make a great point. For instance, while I get why the Jean years weren't taken into account at the time, wouldn't it make sense to add Jean [[and Cindy) to the hall of fame later on, based on their continuation of the Supremes' hits? But even if that's not acceptable, what about the Grammy lifetime? Seems like at least Jean and Cindy could've been included in that. No disrespect to Lynda, Scherrie and Susaye, I can understand how they might be overlooked for these more specific awards, although in some general ones I think all the ladies- Barbara included- could have maybe been included in the honor.

Going back to Cindy and the RRHOF, with the rules being at least 25 years since the first recording, that would have automatically cancelled Cindy, because she had only joined the group 20 years ago. With Dennis being inducted in 1989, at 21 years with the Tempts, was he the first where this rule was suddenly flexible?

sup_fan
02-09-2023, 01:47 PM
When you put it like that, I think you make a great point. For instance, while I get why the Jean years weren't taken into account at the time, wouldn't it make sense to add Jean [[and Cindy) to the hall of fame later on, based on their continuation of the Supremes' hits? But even if that's not acceptable, what about the Grammy lifetime? Seems like at least Jean and Cindy could've been included in that. No disrespect to Lynda, Scherrie and Susaye, I can understand how they might be overlooked for these more specific awards, although in some general ones I think all the ladies- Barbara included- could have maybe been included in the honor.

Going back to Cindy and the RRHOF, with the rules being at least 25 years since the first recording, that would have automatically cancelled Cindy, because she had only joined the group 20 years ago. With Dennis being inducted in 1989, at 21 years with the Tempts, was he the first where this rule was suddenly flexible?

yeah i'm not sure how rules like that come into play. i would say "The Supremes" qualified and were inducted in 1988 and they were an appropriate induction because their biggest hits were with the required timeframe [[as opposed to their biggest hits being in, say, 1974 or something). but then since the group did have a long history, just go ahead and bring in the full group, at least as an acknowledgement. yes to have DMF as the primary recipients and acknowledged as the founders and classic lineup. then a brief acknowledgement of the additional members that were officially part of the group and contributed to its great and rich history

marybrewster
02-09-2023, 02:04 PM

Agreed. Martha has often stated that ALL the Vandellas were inducted, but I've never seen confirmation that Sandy was included. Like you, I think Martha pushed to have Lois inducted, although she never really contributed much to the "hit years".

In regards to the Supremes, I know bradsupremes has said several times that while Mary had some say in who was or wasn't included, ultimately the Rock Hall makes the final decision. Not to discredit Cindy's contributions, but she never was on a hit in the DRATS years [[sans the Tempts duet). I can see an argument for Jean, but where do you start, and where do you stop?

reese
02-09-2023, 02:39 PM

I think the RRHOF was flexible early on. Smokey was inducted [without the Miracles] in 1987, even though he had only been a solo artist for 15 years by that time.

RanRan79
02-09-2023, 04:39 PM
I think the RRHOF was flexible early on. Smokey was inducted [without the Miracles] in 1987, even though he had only been a solo artist for 15 years by that time.

Good point. I wonder why Smokey didn't insist on the Miracles being inducted with him?

reese
02-09-2023, 04:49 PM
Good point. I wonder why Smokey didn't insist on the Miracles being inducted with him?

I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't think of it and I don't mean that in a bad way. Smokey was inducted in the second group of inductees. It was still early in the Hall's existence. It wasn't even a physical place yet. He might have thought the honor was for his entire career.

RanRan79
02-09-2023, 06:50 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't think of it and I don't mean that in a bad way. Smokey was inducted in the second group of inductees. It was still early in the Hall's existence. It wasn't even a physical place yet. He might have thought the honor was for his entire career.

That makes sense.