PDA

View Full Version : JAMIE - Eddie Holland

test

dvdmike
06-13-2011, 09:36 PM
Does anyone know who did the string arrangement on this song? This was one of the early Motown records recorded in Chicago [[if I'm not mistaken, at RCA). Thanks.

reese
06-13-2011, 09:55 PM
I think it was done by Raynoma Singleton.

robb_k
06-13-2011, 10:59 PM
Raynoma [[Liles) GORDY [[at that time). If either she or Berry would have known what would happen in 1963-64, she wouldn't have been working on "Jamie". I'm surprised to hear that she arranged strings. I assume Motown didn't use Gordon Staples yet, in 1961 [[but not sure).

144man
06-14-2011, 07:10 AM
Would it have been Riley Hampton?

reese
06-14-2011, 09:58 AM
I just pulled out Raynoma's book, and she wrote that she did the string arrangement for JAMIE, with assistance from Sonny Sanders. According to her, the session was done at Hitsville, with eight string players from the Detroit Symphony.

snakepit
06-14-2011, 01:35 PM
Decided to play the Eddie Holland Marginal CD...then logged on and see an Eddie Holland thread......Spooky
Would be a good project for ACE/KENT wouldn't it?

ron
06-14-2011, 02:46 PM
Oooh, yes please !!

theboyfromxtown
06-14-2011, 03:09 PM
I firmly believe that Ron has clinched the deal. He said please!

Ron....can you ask for a few more.

oh and please!

LOL

Ramone Verona
06-14-2011, 03:46 PM
I enjoy this song a great deal.
First heard it on the "HARD TO FIND MOTOWN CLASSICS" series.
Those came out so long ago, now.
Hard to believe.
I remember thinking to myself: "probably never hear another song by these uncelebrated artists again".
Sure caught on; albeit it took many, many years of vaulting.
Andy was probably working in the vaults way back "then".
Although George most likely had to change Andy's diapers every 15 minutes!
;)

dvdmike
06-14-2011, 08:50 PM
Eddie Holland recorded two versions of "Jamie." The original single and LP versions were released on October 20, 1961 and the second single version in January 1962. Did Ray arranged them both and were both versions cut in Detroit? Interesting.

robb_k
06-14-2011, 09:03 PM

I just pulled out Raynoma's book, and she wrote that she did the string arrangement for JAMIE, with assistance from Sonny Sanders. According to her, the session was done at Hitsville, with eight string players from the Detroit Symphony.

I never heard that "Jamie" was recorded in Chicago. So, this sounds right to me. But, in any case, the strings could have been recorded in Detroit, and the remaining instrumental could still have been recorded at RCA in Chicago, as could Eddie Holland's vocals. But, I think most [[if not all) of the recording of "Jamie" was done in Detroit.

theboyfromxtown
06-14-2011, 11:21 PM
I thought it was held that Jamie was the first song recorded at Hitsville using strings

TMSG
06-15-2011, 12:21 PM
According to CMS volume 1 - The original backing track for "Jamie" was recorded for Barrett Strong with string arrangements my Raynoma and Sonny Sanders. When Barrett left the company in 1961, the track was still there, so Eddie Holland overdubbed his vocal. This was also the first hit to feature the Andantes [[Louvain Demps, Jackie Hicks and Marlene Barrows) on background.