PDA

View Full Version : Impressions and Leroy Hutson on the same bill

test

MIKEW-UK
06-13-2011, 04:30 AM
Given the huge success in the UK of both the Impressions and Leroy Hutson shows, I wonder if there is scope for a combined show / tour for these two acts. [[Both acts performing separately, but with a segment of joint performance on just a few songs). They could use the same backing musicians such as the Curtom Orchestra, and given the similar heritage of the artist, would do a superb job. This would enormously reduce the costs of the musicians, kit hire, sound gear, set up, roadies etc and make the tour much more financially attractive for a promoter.

I think the pull for audiences would be huge......what do you think? Any wannabe promoters out there?

GeeTee(HPK)
06-14-2011, 06:17 PM
That would be a awesome show,and they could add Clarence and Keni Burke to the bill also. :)

MIKEW-UK
06-15-2011, 03:22 AM
and The Facscinations......if they are still around......

Soulpower
06-29-2011, 01:52 PM
Hi,
I'm the agent who has brought both Leroy Hutson and the Impressions to the UK. What you're suggesting is a great idea that I've had myself. In fact, I wanted to put together a Curtom Records Revue feat. Leroy Hutson, The Impressions, Linda Clifford and the Natural Four. Unfortunately, it will be hard to make it happen, because most of these artists are very little known outside the circles of die-hard Soul fans. A show like this would be very costly to produce, and it is hard enough to find promoters willing to book such show and take the financial risk.
That said, I haven't given up hope to make it happen .. in fact, something is cooking in London for late November, so stay tuned ..
Peace!

MIKEW-UK
06-29-2011, 06:27 PM
Soulpower,

you may have seen the highly favourable posts regarding the Curtom Orchestra; they were superb. Are you planning to use the collective again? It is rare indeed to see in the UK such adept and sensitive backing to US soul acts. Great musicians with a genuine love of the music

alanh
06-30-2011, 05:09 AM
Welcome Soulpower. Thanks for the news and also for bringing the Impressions over. I'm eternally grateful to you. Keep us in touch with other shows you're involved with!

Talking of superb support musicians, I saw Adriana Evans at the Jazz Cafe last weekend. Another wonderful show. I was really impressed at how good her band was and while watching thought how great it was to see a singer working with her own band, interacting without any 'stiffness' and reading music charts. Afterwards I was stunned to learn - after talking to one of them - that the musicians were all London based and performed after two days of rehearsal.
They were absolutely top-notch.

It's truly pleasing to learn that that there are top rate UK based musicians who know how to support visiting US acts. It's also good to know that there are some UK agents & promoters who know that great artists need a great support band and take the trouble to find the right musicians.

Soulpower
06-30-2011, 11:34 AM
Thanks guys.
I agree that the Curtom Orchestra was splendid, thanks to the great work of band leader Nick van Gelder and Impressions MD David Anthony. There are many European backing groups that are not up to the sound, and quite frankly, they are hard to come by in the U.S. as well.
For Leroy Hutson, we are using a slightly different band [[The Third Degree, signed to Acid Jazz Records), but they are recruited from the same circles of London players, and some are also part of the Curtom Orchestra [[like the bass player and the horn section.) The quality of the musicianship is the same though .. these guys are not only players, but they are fans, and that makes a big difference. They knew the music by heart, which is why we were able to wrap up the show in just one two-hour rehearsal.
Anyway, thanks for you support ... these UK dates were truly special for the Impressions, they have really enjoyed themselves, and they'll be back soon. And hopefully, we'll even get together a new Impressions album, recorded with the Curtom Orchestra, vintage style ...

MIKEW-UK
06-30-2011, 12:13 PM
And hopefully, we'll even get together a new Impressions album, recorded with the Curtom Orchestra, vintage style ...

Now that is really exciting! Can you tell us a bit more about how the Impressions felt about their reception in the UK? Had they any idea about just how much they are revered? Same for Leroy?

Soulpower
06-30-2011, 01:39 PM
All of them were completely ecstatic. The Impressions show at Barbican was billed as their first ever London show. That's not entirely correct - they have performed in the UK numerous times, including London. But all of these shows [[with the exception of a 2008 Soul Weekender) were on military bases. Which is why they were especially excited about going back, and they did not expect to get this kind of reception. It was also interesting to see that the London and Manchester shows had very different crowds. In London, we had a wide spectrum of fans, from Northern Soul fans, older fans who have been around since the 1960s and the much younger, hip Soul crowd in London to the more seasonded fans in Manchester.

Leroy Hutson was also quite amazed. He had not performed in the UK in over two decades, and it took me about six years to convince him to go. Mr. Hutson is a perfectionist, a quiet genius, who is very particular about every little detail. Last summer, the circumstances were right and he finally agreed to do it, and he loved every minute of it. He had no idea that he was so popular in the UK, and he enjoyed singing his own material - many of his original songs he had never performed live before.

ralpht
06-30-2011, 02:48 PM
Soulpower,
Welcome to the forum. Promoters are an important cog in the machinery of music. Best of luck to you.

MIKEW-UK
06-30-2011, 03:35 PM
Ah, we now have the missing name, the American permanent MD of the Impressions, David Anthony. Impressive pedigree - no wonder he was so good! First pro gig was with the Montclairs, and since then George Duke, Little Richard, Lakeside, Leroy Hutson, The Stylistics, The Delphonics, Martha Reeves, Little Anthony and The Imperials, Zapp, The Dennis Edwards Temptations Revue, The Manhattans, Little Richard, The SOS Band, Rose Royce, Denise Williams, and “The Iceman” Jerry Butler. And of course the Impressions!

David's website has very interesting pics of groups he has worked with....take a look at image 7 in the musical groups section - [[wrongly labelled as The Honeycomb), it is in fact Honey Cone with none other than Edna Wright!

http://www.davidanthonymusic.com/fr_home.cfm?showall=1

By the way, his singing is a little like Leroy Hutson; if you like Leroy, it's definitely worth listening to his album.... try the "Kool & Smooth" track when you hit the Home Page and you'll definitely get the picture...

marv2
06-30-2011, 04:26 PM
Hi,
I'm the agent who has brought both Leroy Hutson and the Impressions to the UK. What you're suggesting is a great idea that I've had myself. In fact, I wanted to put together a Curtom Records Revue feat. Leroy Hutson, The Impressions, Linda Clifford and the Natural Four. Unfortunately, it will be hard to make it happen, because most of these artists are very little known outside the circles of die-hard Soul fans. A show like this would be very costly to produce, and it is hard enough to find promoters willing to book such show and take the financial risk.
That said, I haven't given up hope to make it happen .. in fact, something is cooking in London for late November, so stay tuned ..
Peace!

Any chance you could bring them to New York? Maybe to B.B. Kings?

Soulpower
06-30-2011, 04:41 PM
I just started working with them last year [[following a recommendation by Leroy Hutson), so yes, there will be a good chance you'll see more shows by the Impressions stateside.

marv2
06-30-2011, 06:07 PM
I just started working with them last year [[following a recommendation by Leroy Hutson), so yes, there will be a good chance you'll see more shows by the Impressions stateside.

Excellent! It's been many years since I've seen them. The late 70's was my last time.

ceasar
06-30-2011, 06:31 PM
Greetings soulpower
My name is Al " ceasar " Berry,
I'm an original member of THE TYMES.
I would love to talk about you maybe bringing us over there.
If interested my contact.
Lettisse Enterprises
P.O. Box #48297
PHILA. PENNA. 19144
[[ 215 ) 844 - 8374
lettisseinc@verizon.net
Be glad to talk to you.
Thank you
AL "CEASAR" BERRY

alanh
07-01-2011, 03:35 AM
A London show for the Tymes would be great!

ceasar
07-09-2011, 08:06 PM
Thanks for the positive response alanh.
All we need is a promoter that would be interested.
CEASAR
THE
TYMES