PDA

View Full Version : Supremes Lifetime Grammy Lifetime Achievement

test

Deepdishus2001
01-05-2023, 12:07 PM
https://www.billboard.com/lists/nirvana-supremes-nile-rodgers-2023-lifetime-achievement-awards-recording-academy/

Deepdishus2001
01-05-2023, 12:14 PM
Sorry for error in thread title

jim aka jtigre99
01-05-2023, 01:25 PM
I am happy that the Supremes will finally be recognized. I am just sad that they chose to finally recognize the Supremes just after Mary Wilson had passed away. She truly would have been over the moon about this.

jobeterob
01-05-2023, 01:43 PM
I am happy that the Supremes will finally be recognized. I am just sad that they chose to finally recognize the Supremes just after Mary Wilson had passed away. She truly would have been over the moon about this.

This is very nice but somewhat hurtful. Some of these organizations are so slow off the mark.

One would assume Diana will be at the ceremony although I expect this will not be televised.

This is almost hard to believe - the way this has turned out.

reese
01-05-2023, 02:40 PM
This is very nice but somewhat hurtful. Some of these organizations are so slow off the mark.

One would assume Diana will be at the ceremony although I expect this will not be televised.

This is almost hard to believe - the way this has turned out.

They will probably just make mention of it during the program, just like when Diana received hers in 2012.

They did actually stream the ceremony. I remember watching it on my laptop right when the news that Whitney Houston had passed away was announced.

sup_fan
01-05-2023, 02:54 PM
any recognition is great but agree that it's a shame this wasn't earlier. makes you wonder if Diana would have appeared at the ceremony along with mary

floyjoy678
01-05-2023, 03:26 PM
Wouldn't it be nice if Diana appeared with Florence and Mary's children?

jobeterob
01-05-2023, 03:39 PM
Wouldn't it be nice if Diana appeared with Florence and Mary's children?

That seems a reasonable possibility but of course this type of award is done separately and not televised

Spreadinglove21
01-05-2023, 05:50 PM
I suppose if Diana does attend to accept this and she's feeling nostalgic for the old days of drama with someone named Wilson I suppose she could always try to upstage Ann and/or Nancy Wilson when they accept their honor or shove one of them or put her hands out to cover their faces, or make them sleep on the floor in the shared dressing room.

Ollie9
01-05-2023, 06:19 PM

I rather think she would. It would have been fantastic to have both Diana and Mary in attendance. It would be incredibly sad if Diana were a no show.

carlo
01-05-2023, 06:44 PM
I suppose if Diana does attend to accept this and she's feeling nostalgic for the old days of drama with someone named Wilson I suppose she could always try to upstage Ann and/or Nancy Wilson when they accept their honor or shove one of them or put her hands out to cover their faces, or make them sleep on the floor in the shared dressing room.

Nancy Wilson passed away in 2018, so for her, it's a posthumous award.

carlo
01-05-2023, 06:53 PM
I have a good feeling that Diana will be present to accept the award, since she's already nominated for her Thank You album. It wouldn't make sense for her to be a no-show [hopefully I'm right]. I agree that it would be nice to see her accept the award, alongside Mary and Flo's kids. I had mixed feelings when I initially learned of this news this afternoon. Like many of you, I had wished that Mary was here for this. The academy waited a little too long to honour The Supremes, but I guess it's better late than never.

Reese is correct that they will stream this separate portion of the ceremonies online, as I had also been watching the online stream, when Diana received her honour in 2012, which was followed by the sad breaking news of Whitney's passing.

With The Supremes receiving this honour, now would be the perfect time for Universal to finally give the green-light to the Reflections Expanded Edition. If it doesn't happen now, then I think that ship has sailed, almost for good.

Ollie9
01-05-2023, 07:10 PM
I really hope the academy doesn’t consider the Supremes lifetime achievement Grammy reward enough, with “Thank You” losing out in the process. Despite not representing the Ross voice i first fell in love with, it really is an album that had grown on me more and more with each play.

Spreadinglove21
01-05-2023, 10:25 PM
Nancy Wilson passed away in 2018, so for her, it's a posthumous award.

That Nancy Wilson isn't being honored this year by the Grammys. The Grammys are honoring Ann and Nancy Wilson of Heart, though oddly enough not Heart itself. It would be like if they had decided to honor Mick Jagger and Keith Richards, but not The Rolling Stones.

Spreadinglove21
01-05-2023, 10:27 PM
In all seriousness as to whether Diana will be present to accept, I suspect chances are good one of her kids will be sent to accept on her behalf and she won't show, but I would be happy to be surprised.

carlo
01-05-2023, 11:02 PM
That Nancy Wilson isn't being honored this year by the Grammys. The Grammys are honoring Ann and Nancy Wilson of Heart, though oddly enough not Heart itself. It would be like if they had decided to honor Mick Jagger and Keith Richards, but not The Rolling Stones.

Thanks for clarifying that. Lol. Oops!

Ya that is indeed very odd, that they're only honouring the two of them.

Ollie9
01-06-2023, 07:26 AM
In all seriousness as to whether Diana will be present to accept, I suspect chances are good one of her kids will be sent to accept on her behalf and she won't show, but I would be happy to be surprised.

I have a feeling that will be the case. Perhaps fear of Covid being a factor.

jim aka jtigre99
01-06-2023, 07:54 AM
I really hope the academy doesn’t consider the Supremes lifetime achievement Grammy reward enough, with “Thank You” losing out in the process. Despite not representing the Ross voice i first fell in love with, it really is an album that had grown on me more and more with each play.
I hardly think that the Supremes FINALLY receiving a Lifetime Grammy is going to have anything to do with her nomination. It may be why they finally decided to award them because she would be there. The Grammys have given out multiple Grammys to artists that are deserving, if she is supposed to win she will-I don't think they will say the Supremes get a Grammy after over 60 years so enough-let's award someone else just because.

Ollie9
01-06-2023, 08:09 AM
I hardly think that the Supremes FINALLY receiving a Lifetime Grammy is going to have anything to do with her nomination. It may be why they finally decided to award them because she would be there. The Grammys have given out multiple Grammys to artists that are deserving, if she is supposed to win she will-I don't think they will say the Supremes get a Grammy after over 60 years so enough-let's award someone else just because.

Hopefully not likely, but with all the politics involved one can never be entirely sure. I don’t think Grammy awards are necessarily dealt out to those who are supposed to win. “Endless Love” being a prime example.
I’m not as confident as you that she will attend Jim. I can see Tracee or Evan being her representative, but sincerely hope I’m wrong.

reese
01-06-2023, 09:25 AM
Carson Daly just mentioned this award on the Today Show. Ironically, they showed a photo of Mary, Cindy, and Scherrie.

milven
01-06-2023, 09:57 AM
I did not realize that this is two separate ceremonies on two separate days. Did I read it right?

"The Academy will present the Lifetime Achievement Awards at the Special Merit Awards Ceremony. That ceremony will be held on February 4th, the day before the main Grammy Awards ceremony."

https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/nirvana-heart-and-the-supremes-to-receive-lifetime-achievement-grammys/

reese
01-06-2023, 10:21 AM
I did not realize that this is two separate ceremonies on two separate days. Did I read it right?

"The Academy will present the Lifetime Achievement Awards at the Special Merit Awards Ceremony. That ceremony will be held on February 4th, the day before the main Grammy Awards ceremony."

https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/nirvana-heart-and-the-supremes-to-receive-lifetime-achievement-grammys/

Correct.

The Lifetime Achievement Awards are presented at a separate ceremony which hopefully will be streamed.

The Grammy Awards are held the next evening and most likely, they will include a short montage of this year's Lifetime Achievement award recipients.

captainjames
01-06-2023, 11:05 AM
I am so happy that the ladies are finally getting the award although I don't put much weight into any awards being giving. However, I am happy that Mary's kids and Flo's kids along with Diana are being recognized for their work in the industry. Sometimes, there is a bit of prejudice, bitterness, and yes hate until someone comes along and says hey this is just not right and we need to make this right.

carlo
01-06-2023, 12:41 PM

I agree with you, Jim. The Grammy Awards are voter-based and I would think that the votes would have been submitted already, before yesterday's announcement of the lifetime achievement recipients, since the ceremonies are only a month away.

Boogiedown
01-06-2023, 02:23 PM
Would be strange to accept a 'lifetime' achievement award concerning the Supremes, unless the lifetime achievement means her success at distancing herself from the act for the past fifty years.

milven
01-06-2023, 02:47 PM
Carson Daly just mentioned this award on the Today Show. Ironically, they showed a photo of Mary, Cindy, and Scherrie.

Yes, I saw that too. And it made me wonder if all members throughout the group's history are honored with the award, or if it just the original group. Did the Temptations ever get one? If all the members of the Temptations are honored, they would need a bigger venue to fit them all on stage to accept;)

reese
01-06-2023, 03:56 PM
Yes, I saw that too. And it made me wonder if all members throughout the group's history are honored with the award, or if it just the original group. Did the Temptations ever get one? If all the members of the Temptations are honored, they would need a bigger venue to fit them all on stage to accept;)

I think whoever gathered the photo for the Supremes just grabbed the first group photo they found. I don't know for sure but most of the articles I've read regarding the award suggest that it is DMF who are the recipients.

The Tempts received the Lifetime Achievement Grammy in 2013. I think it might have been the classic 5 and Dennis who received it but I'm not sure.

daviddh
01-06-2023, 05:10 PM
Happy this is finally happening but really it took 60 years!!!!!
Sad.

PeaceNHarmony
01-06-2023, 07:49 PM
Nothing 'sad' to me. Happy that it is happening. My guess is that Diana will not attend. The handful of Toads [[and an ex-Supreme or two ...) seem to have made the memory of the group a less-than joyous one for Diana. So be it. A deserved enconium for a wonderful group. Be happy for the memory and let it go. Give a listen to A&S's 'Send It' for more info.

sup_fan
01-06-2023, 07:54 PM
Nothing 'sad' to me. Happy that it is happening. My guess is that Diana will not attend. The handful of Toads [[and an ex-Supreme or two ...) seem to have made the memory of the group a less-than joyous one for Diana. So be it. A deserved enconium for a wonderful group. Be happy for the memory and let it go. Give a listen to A&S's 'Send It' for more info.

has Diana even issued a statement yet?

jobeterob
01-06-2023, 09:11 PM
I believe Diana just gave Mary room to be “the Supremes” and to not show up and take the spotlight.

All I’ve seen refers to the 3 original members will get the award.

Ms. Ross’s Twitter account is about family Christmas and gratitude and nothing about this award; she eventually did say something about the Grammy nomination.

I hope still will attend and I think she will; the only issue is she will overshadow any of Mary’s children or Florence’s children that attend and that might keep her away - hoping not.

TheMotownManiac
01-07-2023, 08:43 AM
I believe Diana just gave Mary room to be “the Supremes” and to not show up and take the spotlight.

All I’ve seen refers to the 3 original members will get the award.

Ms. Ross’s Twitter account is about family Christmas and gratitude and nothing about this award; she eventually did say something about the Grammy nomination.

I hope still will attend and I think she will; the only issue is she will overshadow any of Mary’s children or Florence’s children that attend and that might keep her away - hoping not.

i’m certain Diana will attend and graciously accept the award. I think it would be unusual for children or other descendants except on behalf of recipients who have passed. I’m sure that Jay Schwartz is doing everything he can to see to it that diana is not alone on the dais.

there are those who believe that for the last 30 years or so, the Grammy committee inquired to see if Miss Ross were perhaps available to except this most prestigious honor. There are those who believe that Diana turned down the invitation because she didn’t want to be stuck on stage in public with Mary. there are those who believe other honors require the recipient, or most significant recipient, to agree to attend before the award is announced. The Kennedy Center honors, the Hollywood walk of fame and humanitarian awards from the Oscars are said to be among this type, yep Mary was perfectly acceptable for the Hollywood walk of fame. Of course that has a different nominating process altogether. I think Diana had been graciously allowing Mary to except this Grammy honor and now that she has passed, we will happily except on behalf of all Supremes if necessary.

for whatever reason I’m happy that it’s finally happening. I kind of wish that all Supremes were being included, but the combination of Diana at Mary and Florence was special and was the best.

TNSUN
01-07-2023, 11:07 AM
Congratulations. "The Super Duper" Supremes have a legacy in popular music that never fades.

Ollie9
01-07-2023, 12:41 PM
there are those who believe that for the last 30 years or so, the Grammy committee inquired to see if Miss Ross were perhaps available to except this most prestigious honor. There are those who believe that Diana turned down the invitation because she didn’t want to be stuck on stage in public with Mary.

So one possible reason the group has never previously been honoured with this most prestigious award being M’s Ross found it unacceptable to stand on stage for ten minutes with M’s Mary Wilson, a fellow original member, smile and say thank you. So much for what the group stood for to so many.
If the reason really is that feeble, i hope it is one if Mary or Florence’s children that accepts the honour.
I remember reading how an employee found all the Supremes gold discs crammed under Diana’s kitchen sink. Perhaps acknowledging the public fell in love with three, as opposed to one individual Supreme being still difficult to accept.

TheMotownManiac
01-07-2023, 01:57 PM
So one possible reason the group has never previously been honoured with this most prestigious award being M’s Ross found it unacceptable to stand on stage for ten minutes with M’s Mary Wilson, a fellow original member, smile and say thank you. So much for what the group stood for to so many.
If the reason really is that feeble, i hope it is one if Mary or Florence’s children that accepts the honour.
I remember reading how an employee found all the Supremes gold discs crammed under Diana’s kitchen sink. Perhaps acknowledging the public fell in love with three, as opposed to one individual Supreme being still difficult to accept.

that is, some say, one possible reason. However, I don’t see it as feeble at all. First of all, Diana is just saying she doesn’t want to attend, but she’s not keeping them from the stealing the honor and letting Mary accept. She probably knew that they wanted her to accept but may have felt that after being rejected enough times, they would just go with Mary. I would’ve assumed that, but I don’t know anything about it really.

ever since opening night at Motown the musical, I have come to believe that Diana may have a little PTSD when it comes to Mary. It might be from her point of view that Mary was a loose cannon who would do anything publicly to annoy, pick a fight, or cause trouble for Diana period I can understand people thinking that silly, but I think it’s very real. I was at the musical that night. I haven’t seen that look on Diana’s face since she yelled “shoot the fucking picture! “In mahogany As Mary climbing the stage, uninvited after the show. With show business smiles on their faces, Berry and Smokey instantly began to do damage control. They may even have shared Diana‘s concern. But they definitely recognized it in her. The same thing happened at the after party, and The guy who took the pictures said that Diana looked very uncomfortable once Mary was with her. Completely changed. And after a few shots, Diana split for the evening. Anyway, I don’t see why what Diana wants is any less important as what anyone else wants. And if she’s uncomfortable or threatened, real or imagined, I totally see why she would avoid such a scene. And I think Mary gave her every reason to feel insecure.

additionally, the equine rear waste that seeps between the pages of Mary’s books still seem to permeate the air. Diana has had a blowup of the Eula poster in her living room for 40 years. The Supremes are featured prominently in her show and in her television specials. I think it’s absurd to suggest she has a problem with America falling in love with three girls. And as for the gold records under her bathroom counter, would you proudly display fake RIAA gold record awards in your home? I would imagine that people that have a bunch of them don’t put them up anywhere. The last thing I would assume, is that she’s trying to downplay the Supremes wow featuring them in her act and in her home.https://soulfuldetroit.com/blob:https://soulfuldetroit.com/cb2d6adb-83f7-46c4-a41b-60024009eff5

TheMotownManiac
01-07-2023, 02:01 PM

that is, some say, one possible reason. However, I don’t see it as feeble at all. First of all, Diana is just saying she doesn’t want to attend, but she’s not keeping them from the stealing the honor and letting Mary accept. She probably knew that they wanted her to accept but may have felt that after being rejected enough times, they would just go with Mary. I would’ve assumed that, but I don’t know anything about it really.

ever since opening night at Motown the musical, I have come to believe that Diana may have a little PTSD when it comes to Mary. It might be from her point of view that Mary was a loose cannon who would do anything publicly to annoy, pick a fight, or cause trouble for Diana period I can understand people thinking that silly, but I think it’s very real. I was at the musical that night. I haven’t seen that look on Diana’s face since she yelled “shoot the fucking picture! “In mahogany As Mary climbing the stage, uninvited after the show. With show business smiles on their faces, Berry and Smokey instantly began to do damage control. They may even have shared Diana‘s concern. But they definitely recognized it in her. The same thing happened at the after party, and The guy who took the pictures said that Diana looked very uncomfortable once Mary was with her. Completely changed. And after a few shots, Diana split for the evening. Anyway, I don’t see why what Diana wants is any less important as what anyone else wants. And if she’s uncomfortable or threatened, real or imagined, I totally see why she would avoid such a scene. And I think Mary gave her every reason to feel insecure.

additionally, the equine rear waste that seeps between the pages of Mary’s books still seem to permeate the air. Diana has had a blowup of the Eula poster in her living room for 40 years. The Supremes are featured prominently in her show and in her television specials. I think it’s absurd to suggest she has a problem with America falling in love with three girls. And as for the gold records under her bathroom counter, would you proudly display fake RIAA gold record awards in your home? I would imagine that people that have a bunch of them don’t put them up anywhere. The last thing I would assume, is that she’s trying to downplay the Supremes wow featuring them in her act and in her home.https://soulfuldetroit.com/blob:https://soulfuldetroit.com/cb2d6adb-83f7-46c4-a41b-60024009eff5 I think this is it all. When diana ross can’t come up with a convincing smile you know some thing is up!

Ollie9
01-07-2023, 03:02 PM
Dana and Mary’s relationship was always a complicated one. Personally i always viewed those complications from both women’s point of view as opposed to Diana the saint and Mary the sinner.
If Diana did indeed turn down the opportunity to accept such an incredibly prestigious award, therefore preventing the Supremes from being honoured then yes, i consider that’s fairly self centred. Not only that, it would have prevented Mary Wilson the prestige and honour of being part of that recognition.
Diana has always performed Supremes songs because she knows thats what the public wants and expects from her. She has often said she is rarely sentimental about the past, always looking to the future.
The Supremes meant so much to so many. Not just for their phenomenal musical achievements, but in breaking down cultural and social divide.
I doubt given the opportunity, Mary would have ever have turned down a chance to honour the group she was always so very proud to have been a part of.

caliluv
01-07-2023, 07:10 PM
Just wondering is the 70s Supremes work included with this award?

Circa 1824
01-07-2023, 10:14 PM
Diana agreed to do Motown 60 only if she could get a solo performance at the Grammys the night before. Is she making any such agreements in order for her to pick up The Supremes award this year?

jobeterob
01-08-2023, 01:43 AM
Just wondering is the 70s Supremes work included with this award?

It appears not

It’s Diana Mary Florence

Bluebrock
01-08-2023, 04:09 AM
I have a feeling that will be the case. Perhaps fear of Covid being a factor.
I think she will attend in person unless she is unwell.

Ollie9
01-08-2023, 01:22 PM

Cheers Bluebrock. With Mary Wilson no longer with us, i personally think it extremely important that Diana does indeed attend. It’s just as much her award as it is Mary and Florence, although i so wish Mary had lived to witness this supreme acknowledgement of the groups incredible achievements.

TheMotownManiac
01-08-2023, 09:02 PM
Cheers Bluebrock. With Mary Wilson no longer with us, i personally think it extremely important that Diana does indeed attend. It’s just as much her award as it is Mary and Florence, although i so wish Mary had lived to witness this supreme acknowledgement of the groups incredible achievements.

I have just heard from, what I consider to be an extremely reliable source, that Diana will in fact be accepting her award in person. Evidently there was never any question about it.

marybrewster
01-08-2023, 10:05 PM
I have just heard from, what I consider to be an extremely reliable source, that Diana will in fact be accepting her award in person. Evidently there was never any question about it.

That's wonderful to hear.

Kudos to Diana, Mary, and Florence on this well deserved, and long overdue, recognition.

Roberta75
01-09-2023, 12:22 PM
Congratulations to Miss Ross and Miss Wilson and Miss Ballard and a special thank you to Miss Birdsong for her contributions on the later big hits.

Very Well Desevrved indeed.

Ollie9
01-09-2023, 02:33 PM

Let us hope that extremely reliable source proves correct. She owes it to the memory of the Supremes and what they represented.

RanRan79
01-09-2023, 02:50 PM
Very well deserved, although it sucks that it's not something being presented on live television during the main telecast. The Supremes deserve front and center attention the way a certain group of Brits whose name sounds oddly similar to "freatles" would probably get.

mindful1
01-10-2023, 02:00 PM
Hope she appears at the actual Grammys telecast as well!

Bluebrock
01-11-2023, 04:32 AM
Hope she appears at the actual Grammys telecast as well!
All the indications suggest she will indeed be there.

Ollie9
01-11-2023, 05:44 AM
All the indications suggest she will indeed be there.

Fingers crossed. Hopefully it might renew interest in the groups back catalogue, leading to at least one further expanded being released in the next fifty years lol.

jim aka jtigre99
01-11-2023, 08:43 AM
i look forward to seeing if this sparks renewed interest in the Supremes. I know if Mary was still with us, she would be all over the media. I certainly hope the World will see and remember the specialness of Mary, Diana, Flo, Cindy and all of the other ladies in the Supremes. This was long overdue. I am sure Diana feels as we all do that she and the group deserve the honor.

marybrewster
01-13-2023, 10:42 AM
Fingers crossed. Hopefully it might renew interest in the groups back catalogue, leading to at least one further expanded being released in the next fifty years lol.

Amen. Last I heard, REFLECTIONS was complete and waiting on the "green light".

danman869
01-13-2023, 01:52 PM

And, boy... has it been a long wait for that green light! Maybe someone, somewhere could press the "walk" button so that light will finally change! LOL

[P.S.: That was the same intel I'd heard about Reflections: EE, too, Mary!]

vgalindo
01-13-2023, 02:05 PM
That’s the problem. We had heard Ross 78 was completed as well and was waiting for the green light. This green light seems to take forever.

TheMotownManiac
01-14-2023, 11:43 PM
Dana and Mary’s relationship was always a complicated one. Personally i always viewed those complications from both women’s point of view as opposed to Diana the saint and Mary the sinner.
If Diana did indeed turn down the opportunity to accept such an incredibly prestigious award, therefore preventing the Supremes from being honoured then yes, i consider that’s fairly self centred. Not only that, it would have prevented Mary Wilson the prestige and honour of being part of that recognition.
Diana has always performed Supremes songs because she knows thats what the public wants and expects from her. She has often said she is rarely sentimental about the past, always looking to the future.
The Supremes meant so much to so many. Not just for their phenomenal musical achievements, but in breaking down cultural and social divide.
I doubt given the opportunity, Mary would have ever have turned down a chance to honour the group she was always so very proud to have been a part of.

I don’t know where this Saint ✛ Sinner thing comes from, I don’t know anyone who considers Diana a saint. The way I see it, both women went after what they wanted and left a few casualties in their wake. I think that maybe Diana was oblivious to many of her transgressions because of her ego, thoughtlessness and anxiety; where Mary, 99% of which is the sweetest kindest most fun loving and just plain loving person, with a 1% very calculated nuclear bomb.

of course I don’t know if Diana had ever been contacted by the Grammys, I assume that she had and that she said no. Now on that assumption I’ll put another assumption, she may not have known that her participation was mandatory in order to achieve the award. After all many other awards were given to the group without Diana‘s participation, perhaps she had every reason to think this would be the same way. That being said, I don’t think that even if they told her she was mandatory, it would’ve changed her mind. Hey I’m a Supremes fan, I would’ve loved for this to happen 20 years ago or 30 years ago when it should have and yes, if Diana knowingly kept the group from getting the award, it was very selfish. And it’s terrible that Mary never got to enjoy owning a Grammy. And, there are those who would lay the blame for this solely at the feet of mary four of the public rows over the years. if she hadn’t have done such and such diana wouldn’t have done such and such and Mary only did such and such because Diana did such and such. It’s real chicken in the egg thing.
In my point of you the Supremes were so deserving of this award that it shouldn’t have mattered if anyone was going to accept. What group deserved it more, ever? On the other hand, it’s selfish of others to want Diana to do what they want her to do when they know she doesn’t want to do it. We all want things. Maybe we can all be selfish.

jobeterob
01-15-2023, 03:55 AM
If they give this award to dead people who don’t attend and given that this isn’t televised, why is it so definitive and critical for Diana to agree to attend in order for the Supremes to be given the award?

Ollie9
01-15-2023, 05:36 AM
I don’t know where this Saint ✛ Sinner thing comes from, I don’t know anyone who considers Diana a saint. The way I see it, both women went after what they wanted and left a few casualties in their wake. I think that maybe Diana was oblivious to many of her transgressions because of her ego, thoughtlessness and anxiety; where Mary, 99% of which is the sweetest kindest most fun loving and just plain loving person, with a 1% very calculated nuclear bomb.

of course I don’t know if Diana had ever been contacted by the Grammys, I assume that she had and that she said no. Now on that assumption I’ll put another assumption, she may not have known that her participation was mandatory in order to achieve the award. After all many other awards were given to the group without Diana‘s participation, perhaps she had every reason to think this would be the same way. That being said, I don’t think that even if they told her she was mandatory, it would’ve changed her mind. Hey I’m a Supremes fan, I would’ve loved for this to happen 20 years ago or 30 years ago when it should have and yes, if Diana knowingly kept the group from getting the award, it was very selfish. And it’s terrible that Mary never got to enjoy owning a Grammy. And, there are those who would lay the blame for this solely at the feet of mary four of the public rows over the years. if she hadn’t have done such and such diana wouldn’t have done such and such and Mary only did such and such because Diana did such and such. It’s real chicken in the egg thing.
In my point of you the Supremes were so deserving of this award that it shouldn’t have mattered if anyone was going to accept. What group deserved it more, ever? On the other hand, it’s selfish of others to want Diana to do what they want her to do when they know she doesn’t want to do it. We all want things. Maybe we can all be selfish.

The thread regarding Motown 25 was a perfect example of Ross apologists. Mary cast as the demon in red, with Diana of course only doing what she thought best. The saint and the sinner. RTL being another prime example.
Regardless of personal reasons, for Diana to turn down an opportunity for the group to have been honoured years ago, therefore preventing it happening would imo have been an insult to the legacy of the Supremes and all they stood for. For that reason alone i really hope she didn’t.
I think it matters very much who is there to accept such an incredibly prestigious award. Not bothering sends a clear message. Mary was so incredibly proud of the Supremes and all they achieved that to not turn up would have been unthinkable to her.
As a fan I’m just so pleased the group is finally getting the recognition they so very much deserve. It’s just sad the longest standing group member isn’t around to join in the celebrations.

Spreadinglove21
01-15-2023, 01:00 PM
So far on her Twitter feed, Diana has not acknowledged this. To be fair, Nancy Wilson of Heart hasn't acknowledged either the one she's getting with her sister.

Ollie9
01-15-2023, 04:01 PM

PS: Is anybody sweet 99% of the time MM. That’s a tall order, even for those with the purest of intentions. :D

Boogiedown
01-15-2023, 04:21 PM
The timing of this special award to the Supremes as part of this year's ceremony is perfect for Ross.

By having an album in her name nominated in some category in this same year, it keeps Ross relevant. Otherwise just accepting the Supremes award would make her presence there as but that of a legacy artist who used to be in the Supremes way back hundreds of years ago.

As it is, to an extent this new lifetime distinction siphons off a portion of Ross' claim as already being a Grammy lifetime achiever that had already included her Supremes years without specifically including a nod to anyone else involved in that part of her musical 'lifetime'.

jim aka jtigre99
01-15-2023, 11:29 PM
Well, with the award season now in full swing it is still very nice that the Supremes will finally be recognized. I don't think that they offered it before and Diana Ross declined it so as to not be onstage again with Mary Wilson. That would be a horrible and selfish thing to do. Many groups have been awarded things and appear together even though they don't get along personally anymore. It would be a shame if that was true as Mary is now no longer with us. I just don't believe Diana would do such a thing because in celebrating the Supremes, she is celebrating herself along with Mary and Florence. This just would have been such a much more beautiful thing had it happened while Mary was still with us. Maybe in Heaven, Mary and Flo are looking at each other and saying "Honey, we is terrific!"

Ollie9
01-16-2023, 04:33 AM
Well, with the award season now in full swing it is still very nice that the Supremes will finally be recognized. I don't think that they offered it before and Diana Ross declined it so as to not be onstage again with Mary Wilson. That would be a horrible and selfish thing to do. Many groups have been awarded things and appear together even though they don't get along personally anymore. It would be a shame if that was true as Mary is now no longer with us. I just don't believe Diana would do such a thing because in celebrating the Supremes, she is celebrating herself along with Mary and Florence. This just would have been such a much more beautiful thing had it happened while Mary was still with us. Maybe in Heaven, Mary and Flo are looking at each other and saying "Honey, we is terrific!"

That’s a nice sentiment Jim. Terrific they were.

milven
02-04-2023, 12:29 PM
This is happening today. Is there anyplace that we can see the Lifetime Achievement streamed live?

marybrewster
02-04-2023, 12:46 PM
Sounds like Nicole and Turkessa will be accepting on behalf of their mothers. I hope Diana attends.

Ollie9
02-04-2023, 01:24 PM
Sounds like Nicole and Turkessa will be accepting on behalf of their mothers. I hope Diana attends.

I certainly hope so. She can’t really use Mary as an excuse now. With Flo and Mary’s daughters in attendance, it would be the gracious thing to do.

TheMotownManiac
02-04-2023, 02:24 PM
PS: Is anybody sweet 99% of the time MM. That’s a tall order, even for those with the purest of intentions. :D

Sometimes I get carried away, 99% is a stretch. However, I think that if you asked anyone who knew her they would tell you she was a real sweetheart. Calling diana ross a saint is also a stretch. Lord knows she’s had more than her share of diva moments, a quick temper and public examples of bad behavior: she should never of laid a hand on Mary at Motown 25 no matter how much she was provoked. And I believe she was provoked on purpose, but that’s not an excuse to act out like that. It’s just a reason. If I ever do meet diana ross, I hope she’s as nice as Mary was.

Roberta75
02-04-2023, 03:06 PM

It's Lisa whos accepting for her Mom and shes already in LA.

marybrewster
02-04-2023, 06:22 PM
Thank you.

carlo
02-04-2023, 06:42 PM
This is happening today. Is there anyplace that we can see the Lifetime Achievement streamed live?

Milven, they are being presented with the award tomorrow at 3:30 PM EST, as part of the 'premiere ceremony'. It will be streaming live online on live.grammy.com and on their YouTube channel.

milven
02-04-2023, 07:26 PM
Thank you Carlo. I read earlier that they would be presented on Feb 4th, but then there was no further info. Thanks for the update ♪♪♪

carlo
02-04-2023, 08:05 PM
You're welcome, Milven.

carlo
02-04-2023, 10:13 PM
Thank you Carlo. I read earlier that they would be presented on Feb 4th, but then there was no further info. Thanks for the update ♪♪♪

I'm sorry, Milven. I was totally wrong. The Lifetime Achievement Award was indeed presented and accepted today, by Turkessa and Lisa.

marybrewster
02-04-2023, 10:21 PM
Looks like Ross was a no-show.

danman869
02-04-2023, 10:25 PM
No shade towards Diana in saying this, but I think with her not appearing at this ceremony, she has likely decided that Turkessa and Lisa can now accept any accolades for The Supremes going forward. I can imagine that, in part, it relieves Diana of having to answer the question of "why weren't you there all the other times with Mary before she passed?" that can dredge up topics Diana would likely prefer to put behind her now. Sure, she'll likely release publicity statements that are gracious about any possible awards given to The Supremes in the future, but I think we're looking at the future of any Supremes publicity with Turkessa and Lisa. These two ladies looked very pretty representing their mothers tonight!

carlo
02-04-2023, 10:33 PM
I'm disappointed in Diana, but that's a really good point, Dan. Yes, they both looked lovely.

marybrewster
02-04-2023, 10:47 PM
It wouldn't have killed her to send one of her five kids with a two sentence statement.

She can pass the baton all she wants, and truthfully, I hope she does. But how disrespectful to the legacy, the fans, and the Grammys.

carlo
02-04-2023, 10:58 PM
Upon further thought...yes Dan, you're totally right. I think Diana likely wanted to give Turkessa and Lisa their moment to shine and to be able to celebrate their mothers' shared legacy. Her presence at this ceremony would have overshadowed both of them. I'm sure neither of them have seen Diana in years, and it would have potentially created some feelings of uneasyness and nervousness. Assuming that Diana had attended, perhaps they would have felt self-conscious about how long they're allowed to take with their speeches, etc, because the thought would be "This is Auntie Diana...she created this group with our Moms and she should be taking the most time to speak." Then I'm sure Jay would be all over it, coaching Turkessa and saying, "You should get just as much time to speak" [I know I'm making up scenarios, but I can realistically imagine this lol]. It would have created stress and overshadowed a celebratory moment for these ladies, and I think Diana just wanted them to have their moment, without all of that.

Plus, as you said Dan, it would be a weird look for Diana, if she had attended this, after years of not attending various Supremes' honours, because of her decision to both avoid Mary, and to defer all Supremes legacy related matters to her. If she had attended today, it would have looked like she was saying, "Mary is gone, so I can be here now."

On the other side of the coin, Mary Brewster is correct. She could have at least sent one of her daughters to accept the award on her behalf, but then would it have led to questions as to why their mother couldn't be there?

sup_fan
02-04-2023, 11:00 PM
While I’m disappointed I guess I can see if she had shown up the media would mostly talk only about her and her pic would be the only one used. And if she’d sent her daughter everyone would have said “it’s like she sent her secretary”. And then people would say “oh now that Mary is gone you FINALLY decide to attend one”

marybrewster
02-04-2023, 11:03 PM
There's no win, for sure.

But I still stand with Rhonda could have showed up with a nice statement and posed for a few pics. All on equal footing, representing their mothers.

bradsupremes
02-04-2023, 11:29 PM
Upon further thought...yes Dan, you're totally right. I think Diana likely wanted to give Turkessa and Lisa their moment to shine and to be able to celebrate their mothers' shared legacy. Her presence at this ceremony would have overshadowed both of them. I'm sure neither of them have seen Diana in years, and it would have potentially created some feelings of uneasyness and nervousness. Assuming that Diana had attended, perhaps they would have felt self-conscious about how long they're allowed to take with their speeches, etc, because the thought would be "This is Auntie Diana...she created this group with our Moms and she should be taking the most time to speak." Then I'm sure Jay would be all over it, coaching Turkessa and saying, "You should get just as much time to speak" [I know I'm making up scenarios, but I can realistically imagine this lol]. It would have created stress and overshadowed a celebratory moment for these ladies, and I think Diana just wanted them to have their moment, without all of that.

Plus, as you said Dan, it would be a weird look for Diana, if she had attended this, after years of not attending various Supremes' honours, because of her decision to both avoid Mary, and to defer all Supremes legacy related matters to her. If she had attended today, it would have looked like she was saying, "Mary is gone, so I can be here now."

On the other side of the coin, Mary Brewster is correct. She could have at least sent one of her daughters to accept the award on her behalf, but then would it have led to questions as to why their mother couldn't be there?

But do we honestly think she's really thinking about Lisa and Turkessa and wanting them to have their moment? They're all grown women. When it was announced they were receiving this award on January 5th she and her kids made no word about it. She issued a half-hearted brief statement via her publicist for the Variety article just yesterday and that was it and probably all we'll hear about it. Today she posted about her son's restaurant but said nothing of today's award. Even if you look at her social media, she hardly ever posts videos or photos of her Supremes days. Would it have killed her to do the right thing and do what she thought Mary should have done during RTL and just "show up?" Of all the Grammy Special Merit honorees with the exception of Ann Wilson [[who's on the outs with Nancy) and the deceased honorees, all of the major players except her showed up - Nancy Wilson, Nile Rodgers, Slick Rick, Bobby McFerrin, Dave Grohl and Krist Novoselic of Nirvana. Even if she didn't want to be there, would have been so difficult for one of her daughters to represent her? How nice would it have been to see the Supremes daughters together accepting on behalf of their mothers. She couldn't even do that right.

For all the turmoil that went down with the Beatles, I've never seen Paul, George, and Ringo treat their Beatles legacy as an afterthought the way Diana does with the Supremes.

I always have high hopes for her and each time she doesn't come through. I'm just really disappointed in her.

thanxal
02-04-2023, 11:49 PM
I always have high hopes for her and each time she doesn't come through. I'm just really disappointed in her.
I try my best to stay out of the partisan "Diana, not-Diana" wars on this here forum, but I have to agree with Brad. It is very disappointing that she seems to have completely given up on this part of her career other than to sing the hits occasionally. Perhaps when she "gave" the Supremes legacy to Mary, she really had no intention of ever recognizing it again. The hurt must go to the bone on this one. One would think Mary's passing might heal things, but apparently not.

Boogiedown
02-04-2023, 11:57 PM
Rather lacking in the gratitude dept. Her next project might be best titled :
NO THANK YOU

carlo
02-05-2023, 12:23 AM
But do we honestly think she's really thinking about Lisa and Turkessa and wanting them to have their moment? They're all grown women. Can no one act like an adult, be courteous, and just have their moment?

In my mind, I feel like her decision had more to do with knowing the magnitude of her own celebrity, and how that causes others to act and react, in her presence...whether that be the media at the ceremony, Turkessa and Lisa, etc. She would have overshadowed both ladies, without even trying to. It's understandable that not everyone will agree with that being her reason for not attending.

I'm sure she would have been courteous to all, if she had decided to attend, and vice-versa with Turkessa and Lisa. I agree that she should have posted about this honour on her social media. I seem to remember Diana sending Rhonda to accept a Supremes' award, alongside Mary, years ago, possibly when she was in rehab? [Reese will probably be able to confirm this :) ] Not sure why she couldn't have done something similar today, or what the thought process was behind her decision...or if she even cared to think about it at all?

RanRan79
02-05-2023, 01:52 AM
I'm in the disappointed category. I always thought that it could be a potential PR nightmare for Diana to show up for this Supremes award, now that Mary is deceased. With Diana and the Supremes, it is sometimes for Diana a damned if she do and damned if she doesn't situation. But I thought that with her own Grammy nom for TY that it would be the perfect excuse for why it was so "easy" for her to attend this ceremony for the Supremes. I also wondered, to myself, if she might send one of her children to do it, since the other two Supremes would be represented by their children.

I'm terribly disappointed in Diana. And Brad's post sums up perfectly what I feel is wrong with this whole thing. I'm so disappointed- and I know this won't go down well with my fellow Diana fans- that I'm not even rooting for Diana's album to win. Nope. Sorry. Can't. Won't. I won't spend energy rooting against it, but if she doesn't win, I'll shrug my shoulders and mind my business, not feeling the least bit sorry for her.

I am a Diana Ross fan because she was once a Supreme. Had I never become a Supremes-aholic, I am doubtful I would have ever become a Diana-holic. Because the Supremes are my all time favorite singing group, I am terribly protective of their legacy and Brad lays out the perfect case of how Diana seems to disrespect that legacy. Yes, I recognize that after her exceptional work as a Supreme that Diana Ross went on to have a decades long successful solo career, that spanned a great portion of her life, eclipsing the amount of time she was an actual member of the group. I do not deny her right to be more invested in her solo legacy rather than the legacy she shares with others. Perhaps on some level I can even understand it.

But make no mistake about it: Diana Ross just dissed the Supremes. A Grammy is considered the highest honor in the music industry. Nobody knows Diana Ross' name if not for the group that was being honored and it appears that she couldn't give two spits. How disrespectful to the very thing she- along with Florence and Mary- created. I don't care about whether or not she's a nostalgic person and prefers to look ahead, yada, yada, yada. This was a moment for her to stand in her Supreme glory and acknowledge the long overdue acknowledgement of the recording industry that the Supremes were something special.

I'm not usually someone who thinks people have to show up for this thing or that thing, but this one has pissed me off. As a fan, I'm officially giving up hope of Diana ever accepting her role as the last original Supreme standing. I genuinely feel like she doesn't care and that's a turn off for me. But at the end of the day, she's grown and I have to respect her right to attend or not attend anything she makes a decision about.

But I don't have to like it. And I don't. As a fan, I'm offended. I love her, that won't change. But when we get together at the end of the month for our monthly dinner date, I will ignore her the whole time, while humming obscure Supremes songs to piss her off.:cool:

jobeterob
02-05-2023, 02:22 AM
Here’s a Facebook post about this and an indication of why she might not have appeared:

Why bother now? Flo and Mary are gone. Once again Diana  will get the center spotlight. She probably won’t even mention the other two. 

Does anyone think Turkessa and/or Lisa might have been consulted about this? Or considered the possibility ?

thanxal
02-05-2023, 02:31 AM
Can't. Won't.
Can't AND won't [/obscureArcherreference]. This is serious now, Boyz.
Seriously though, you said it well Ran. I completely agree with you.

thanxal
02-05-2023, 02:37 AM
BTW - I vaguely recall someone taking flak for writing that the Supremes died with Mary Wilson. Whoever said that has just been vindicated.

marybrewster
02-05-2023, 03:34 AM
Ironic that her latest release is THANK YOU.

She doesn't even know the meaning of those two words.

mowsville
02-05-2023, 06:40 AM
Folks are always saying The Supremes never receive the respect they deserve for what they achieved not only in music history but breaking down barriers etc etc...THIS is the resaon why ....if the person that created this history cant be arsed to acknowledge it herself why should everyone else bother...I have been a Diana fan from the age of 12 and thats a lot of years but this has really pissed me off..its not only a slap in the face for The Supremes legacy but also for the fans.

sansradio
02-05-2023, 08:51 AM
I normally don’t wade into these sequin-and-wig-laden waters lately, but damn, Diana. I just woke up excitedly searching Google for images of Ross, Turkessa and Lisa basking in the glow of this honor together—and was crushed to see her absent. AGAIN. I echo most of the sentiments above. I know that we can’t know the lady’s reasons, but it still feels like spit in the eye. And this is coming from someone who’s dedicated 45 years of his life to defending her. “Where Did Our Love Go,” indeed.

Spreadinglove21
02-05-2023, 09:07 AM
Unless there's going to be a segment set aside for tonight's main ceremony to honor the Supremes and Diana appears for that [[and Turkessa and Lisa share the stage with her to represent their moms), or if Diana was suddenly taken ill and cancelled at last minute for last night, there's really no excuse for her not showing up last night, or at least having one of her children be there to accept for her. Turkessa and Lisa aren't in show business so using the excuse that she didn't want to steal their spotlight doesn't wash with me.

Anyway let's see what happens, or doesn't happen, tonight, but right now I've a sour taste in my mouth.

Circa 1824
02-05-2023, 09:18 AM
The picture of Turkessa and Lisa is beautiful. In a million years, I can NOT see Diana standing with them.

If it did happen, people would talk and it would also stir up all the old accusations of Diana being evil. Diana was right to stay home.

Circa 1824
02-05-2023, 09:53 AM
Was Cindy included in the award? If not, why not. Cindy was an awesome Supreme during their heyday.

reese
02-05-2023, 10:16 AM
I seem to remember Diana sending Rhonda to accept a Supremes' award, alongside Mary, years ago, possibly when she was in rehab? [Reese will probably be able to confirm this :) ] ...

When the Supremes were honored by the Rhythm and Blues Foundation, the award was accepted by Mary and Flo's daughters. Rhonda was there "unofficially" representing her mom, according to J. Randy. So I don't know if she actually took the stage with them.

Re the Grammy no-show, disappointed is the word I can use. This morning, I signed on to my email to find some photos from the event sent by a friend. When I didn't see Diana up there with Turkessa and Lisa, my heart sank because I just knew she would be present. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised as she also didn't attend the MusicCares event for Berry and Smokey on Friday night and I was just sure she would be present for that as well.

That said, I won't invent scenarios as to why she didn't attend because a) she'll never speak on it and b) I have no idea why. I'll just repeat that I am disappointed. She [along with Mary and Flo] more than earned every bit of that award and for her not to bask in it, again, to be repetitive, I am disappointed.

jim aka jtigre99
02-05-2023, 10:27 AM
I am very happy for Turkessa and Lisa to honor their Mothers for their Grammy achievement [[FINALLY) as the Supremes. To answer questions, no other Supremes were included in this honor-only the Original members. I am disappointed in Diana Ross but by the same token I am not surprised. I remember reading she had her Supremes gold records shoved in a vanity in a bathroom once. She only acknowledges the Supremes as a starting point for her own glorious solo career-which is fine and good. However, she did receive a Grammy for her contributions to the start of her career as a group member. True, she may have felt she would overshadow the daughters of her deceased groupmates but like someone said-neither of them are singers. In fact I looked at this You Tube Grammy video and I do not see the Supremes on it even though the title mentions them. Plus, I agree that she could have-at the very least-sent one of her 5 children to accept on her behalf.
https://youtu.be/jvh2P4KbZ_o

carlo
02-05-2023, 10:48 AM
When the Supremes were honored by the Rhythm and Blues Foundation, the award was accepted by Mary and Flo's daughters. Rhonda was there "unofficially" representing her mom, according to J. Randy. So I don't know if she actually took the stage with them.

Thanks Reese. I knew you'd come through :) I remember this as well, and I had read a rumour that Rhonda did not speak to Mary.

I agree, I'm disappointed too. In the midst of my extreme disappointment last night, I was stretching a bit to try and give Diana benefit of the doubt, in my earlier posts. I have a hard time imagining she would have indifference, when reflecting on her Supremes years...maybe more so, emotion, hurt and pain. However, by her age, there comes a point where you need to take a hard look, do the internal work and reconcile those feelings, within yourself. She deserved to be there, accepting that award...even if she possibly chose not to attend, in order to not overshadow Turkessa and Lisa. As far as I know, she still lives in LA, so it would have been very easy for her to have been there. I don't know if she still has feelings or is emotional when thinking about all of that water under the bridge with Mary and Flo, and maybe being there with their daughters would make her feel far too awkward and emotional. Who knows? However, at the end of the day, she's one of three who created this magnificent group and history. For her to not make a bigger attempt to acknowledge the award is a disservice to that legacy and to herself. She made herself look bad. Her continuing this behaviour of silence and aloofness over the years has perpetuated her own image and reputation issues.

mowsville
02-05-2023, 10:53 AM
When Diana is honoured as a"SOLO" artist the whole world and its mother turns up to support her yet when its one of her so called Motown family its a very very rare occasion that she will be there supporting them...like I said before I have been a lifelong fan of hers I have every single release from "I Want A Guy" to the latest ....every album and every CD...ive paid to see her numerous times so I guess that makes me a dedicated fan and im getting to the point where I just cant be bothered with her anymore...The Supremes made us all fall in love with her in the first place and she would be nowhere without them..dissing her roots and just accepting all the solo accolades and awards is just downright selfish...I will not be spending another penny on her EVER.

marybrewster
02-05-2023, 11:20 AM
i look forward to seeing if this sparks renewed interest in the Supremes. I know if Mary was still with us, she would be all over the media. I certainly hope the World will see and remember the specialness of Mary, Diana, Flo, Cindy and all of the other ladies in the Supremes. This was long overdue. I am sure Diana feels as we all do that she and the group deserve the honor.

I think it has sparked interest, but not in a positive way for Diana. Across the 'net, the consensus is that her actions [[or lack thereof) are inconsiderate, selfish, and disrespectful. It's hard not to agree.

mowsville
02-05-2023, 11:23 AM
I was going to write the exact same thing marybrewster.

RanRan79
02-05-2023, 11:56 AM
BTW - I vaguely recall someone taking flak for writing that the Supremes died with Mary Wilson. Whoever said that has just been vindicated.

And to that point Al, as a fan, what this situation has done has made it even more real that the Supremes is dead. No disrespect to all the replacements, all of whom came in, usually during a time of great upheaval and stress, and assumed their position, embodying the very name SUPREMES. Definitely no disrespect to the women currently touring as the FLOS, doing their part to keep the legacy going. But the indisputable queens of the Supremes were Florence Ballard, Diana Ross and Mary Wilson.

When Mary was alive, she kept the Supremes alive. She lived it, talked it, hit us over the head with the history and accomplishments. One thing Mary was never going to do was allow the world to forget about the Supremes. And while it was always disappointing that Diana often refused- for whatever reason- to share in that enthusiasm, it was easy to shrug it off because Mary was doing so much. Also Mary was very good about making sure that Florence wasn't forgotten either. Whatever criticisms I have of the way Flo was sometimes used in Mary's books, there has been no bigger ambassador for Florence Ballard's legacy than Mary Wilson. So with Diana still doing her thing solo, Mary doing her thing solo as well as being a voice for the history of the group and, on top of that, making it a point to ensure that Florence was remembered and accounted for, it still seemed like the Supremes were very much here.

Now with Mary gone, my desire was that Diana would honor the group by taking up some of the slack that would occur with Mary being gone. I would never expect her to be as dogged about it as Mary. After all, Diana has her own HUGE career to look after, while a large chunk of Mary's career was the Supremes. Rarely did Mary's post Supremes work and life result in the kinds of highs she had while with the group. So when it comes to Diana, I figured to manage my expectations. But I thought for sure she'd pick up the mantle on occasion, especially something like a Grammy.

The realization that we'll probably never have any more Supremes stories told by an actual Supremes member, no never before seen candid photos from the personal archive, no recollections of the music and performances, the career highs, and yes, the career lows, has hit me like a ton of bricks.

I want to caution myself that I'm being too hard on the lady. She has her reasons. Try to understand. True, some of those Supremes days are probably difficult to look back on. But she has "sworn" on more than one occasion that there was more good than bad. Florence and Mary have both made similar statements. So what's the problem? I don't know.

In a week or two, I'll probably forgive this and pretend it never happened. I'll go back to listening to the music and focusing on how I feel when I hear Diana's beautiful voice, whether solo or alongside the beautiful voices of Florence and Mary. Whatever happens, I will always feel that this group I love is officially dead. Diana Ross is her own separate thing, and I'll deal with her as such. But when I watch the group singing "You Can't Hurry Love" on Sullivan, or them singing "My Heart Can't Take It No More" at the Apollo, it'll be like watching three people who no longer exist.

And that sucks.

RanRan79
02-05-2023, 11:58 AM
Folks are always saying The Supremes never receive the respect they deserve for what they achieved not only in music history but breaking down barriers etc etc...THIS is the resaon why ....if the person that created this history cant be arsed to acknowledge it herself why should everyone else bother...I have been a Diana fan from the age of 12 and thats a lot of years but this has really pissed me off..its not only a slap in the face for The Supremes legacy but also for the fans.

THIS!!!! Absolutely great point!!

Albator
02-05-2023, 12:03 PM
some are really in full drama queen mood here ! What is disappointing is that the Supremes had to wait 70 years to be honoured.

RanRan79
02-05-2023, 12:05 PM
I will not be spending another penny on her EVER.

Whoa! I'm pissed, but not that pissed. Lol It does rate a mention that with all the money I've spent on Supremes releases over the years, whose royalties went into Diana's account, to think that she knows what we want and says "who cares" but gladly accepts the royalty checks- how big or small- that we contribute to, really is a slap in the face.

RanRan79
02-05-2023, 12:08 PM
some are really in full drama queen mood here ! What is disappointing is that the Supremes had to wait 70 years to be honoured.

Yeah, and the last one living couldn't give a spit. I'd say that's even worst than being overlooked for 60 some years.

I knew someone would come in with a "drama queen" comment, because why add a constructive viewpoint, even if opposing, when an insult will do?

carlo
02-05-2023, 12:27 PM
When Diana is honoured as a"SOLO" artist the whole world and its mother turns up to support her yet when its one of her so called Motown family its a very very rare occasion that she will be there supporting them...like I said before I have been a lifelong fan of hers I have every single release from "I Want A Guy" to the latest ....every album and every CD...ive paid to see her numerous times so I guess that makes me a dedicated fan and im getting to the point where I just cant be bothered with her anymore...The Supremes made us all fall in love with her in the first place and she would be nowhere without them..dissing her roots and just accepting all the solo accolades and awards is just downright selfish...I will not be spending another penny on her EVER.

I feel this too. Last night, I was ready to put my entire collection on eBay lol. I'm not entirely serious about selling off everything, but I really do feel let down and done with her. The last time I felt this disappointed was when she got her DUI. It's hard to rationalize continuing looking up to someone, when she can't be bothered to put even a fraction of attention on a legacy that we've all spent years putting our own attention to. She herself has said that she's always felt a sense of responsibility, when it comes to her fans and being a role model. How does ignoring such a huge honour and ignoring such a huge part of her career fit into that? It is indeed selfish. Her silence does make her seem indifferent.

marybrewster
02-05-2023, 12:35 PM
Yeah, and the last one living couldn't give a spit. I'd say that's even worst than being overlooked for 60 some years.

I knew someone would come in with a "drama queen" comment, because why add a constructive viewpoint, even if opposing, when an insult will do?

I will say, for the first time in DECADES, lol, I think Diana's fans and Mary's fans are agreeing on this one. I've tried to twist it and turn it and think of an excuse or a pass, and I've got nothing.

Ollie9
02-05-2023, 12:39 PM
I assume had Diana been taken ill at the last minute an announcement would have been made. I so hope she had a valid reason as to simply not bother is unforgivable, and an insult not only to fans, but everything the group stood for.
If she truly felt unable to attend, a family member could easily have acted as her representative. As it stands, it apparently wasn’t even worth that. To suggest she didn’t want to outshine Turkessa or Lisa is quite frankly laughable.
I can’t help thinking that if a large amount of appearance money were to be paid she would have somehow found a way.
Until I hear evidence to the contrary, it appears to M’s Ross that everything was, is and always be all about her. Bitterly disappointed to say the least.

BobbyC
02-05-2023, 12:42 PM
I agree that Ross should have been there. Good PR if nothing else. I think Supreme fans would have liked to see her acknowledge her history. It's something to be proud of

captainjames
02-05-2023, 01:01 PM
To everyone that is mad and upset and want to get rid of everything they own about Diana Ross please send to me and do not throw away. Thanks :-)

Spreadinglove21
02-05-2023, 02:41 PM
Well there's still the main awards show this evening and frankly the Supremes deserve to be recognized on the main show. I'm not optimistic that this will happen and Diana Ross will be there to accept, but there's still a chance.

sansradio
02-05-2023, 02:58 PM
Well, if she’s there, she better be on a goddamned scooter or something. If she shows up on that red carpet twirling like Mahogany tonight, I will be HEATED.

after you
02-05-2023, 03:20 PM
Maybe she is the surprise female quest singer and yes she needs to Except the lifetime achievement award for the Supremes she was The Supremes it was her voice voice voice voice voice but the heard world heard

Albator
02-05-2023, 03:22 PM

I didn't know that expressing a fan's disillusionment was a constructive view.

Boogiedown
02-05-2023, 03:29 PM
Did you think calling people dismissive names was ?

after you
02-05-2023, 04:07 PM
Or just maybe the Grammies did not invite Miss Ross one never knows

TheMotownManiac
02-05-2023, 04:07 PM
Did you think calling people dismissive names was ?

thank you. I kind of thought the name-calling, for whatever reason, had subsided. There is no reason not to be friendly.

I am heart sick that she didn’t appear. And shocked. Something must’ve happened because transportation had been ordered for her weeks ago. The thing is, I’m afraid it’s going to be some sort of diva moment because had she been ill, I believe she would’ve sent one of her kids or, at least, a statement. Ignoring the whole thing horrifies me. I do not believe she was trying to put the spotlight on the girls, because she still could’ve sent a message like she did to Michael’s funeral. I hope one day we will learn her reasoning, and after spending hours and hours last night with Midwest Ross Fan‘s Discussing this, I just don’t believe that any of the scenarios that have been mentioned apply. Sending a statement would be a simple and effective way to acknowledge and thank those responsible. Ignoring it, I guess, is also a statement. For a while I was hoping that something would happen tonight to correct that, but since she is not attending, that’s that. I feel like I overslept and missed Christmas.

Roberta75
02-05-2023, 04:22 PM
Im real dissapointed that Miss Ross did not attend last night but as SpreadingLove said maybe shes going today/tonight. I know Lisa Chapman is getting glammed up at her hotel for "Day 2" her words not mine so maybe theres something planned for today with Diana and Turkessa and Lisa. Thats me just guessing. To bring her 20 year old DUI into this is seems real unfair IMO given she got sober and has stayed sober. There by the grace of God go we are those we love.

daviddh
02-05-2023, 04:39 PM
Extremely disappointed.
She ,[[Diana) was a no show for the rock n roll hall of Fame, the star on Hollywood walk of fame and yet again, we find out she was a no show for this Grammy honour.
I agree with most of these posts especially Brads.
One of Diana kids couldnt show up?
What a slap in the face.
I am disappointed.just beyond words right now

Boogiedown
02-05-2023, 04:40 PM
thank you. I kind of thought the name-calling, for whatever reason, had subsided. There is no reason not to be friendly.

I am heart sick that she didn’t appear. And shocked. Something must’ve happened because transportation had been ordered for her weeks ago. The thing is, I’m afraid it’s going to be some sort of diva moment because had she been ill, I believe she would’ve sent one of her kids or, at least, a statement. Ignoring the whole thing horrifies me. I do not believe she was trying to put the spotlight on the girls, because she still could’ve sent a message like she did to Michael’s funeral. I hope one day we will learn her reasoning, and after spending hours and hours last night with Midwest Ross Fan‘s Discussing this, I just don’t believe that any of the scenarios that have been mentioned apply. Sending a statement would be a simple and effective way to acknowledge and think those responsible. Ignoring it, I guess, is also a statement. For a while I was hoping that something would happen tonight to correct that, but since she is not attending, that’s that. I feel like I overslept and missed Christmas.

Ok so I have had a thought for awhile that I’m hoping is way off base , but this makes me wonder even more
About a year ago there was a link to an article here that mentioned Miss Ross having early dementia. I thought it astonishing that a writer would say such in an off -the -cuff way, but then I saw no refutations or corrections.

Then during her UK tour a couple of things . Evan had to help her to the stage for the queens jubilation appearance and she didn’t do too well. Then she didn’t incorporate her new album material into the act smoothly, as well as leaving out altogether her new and most current SUNSHINE release.
Finally , she tried a number of times to get a grip on Rhonda’s song Rhonda was so keen on, but basically gave up.
Now, she seems to be MIA as of late for the most part .

Of course I don’t want this to be the case, but to completely ignore this certain honor, kind of baffling, and seems like something is amiss.

Hopefully she appears tonight and bowls everyone over :
still not the best execution of the situation imo , but with all things considered, one taken gladly .

daviddh
02-05-2023, 04:45 PM
I was going to watch to see if Diana won tonight...,suddenly I don't care

carlo
02-05-2023, 04:53 PM
To bring her 20 year old DUI into this is seems real unfair IMO given she got sober and has stayed sober. There by the grace of God go we are those we love.

You're right, Roberta. I regret saying that in my post. I have been so disappointed by her no-show and was comparing my level of disappointment to that sad time in 2002. I offer my sincere apologies for that insensitive reference.

jobeterob
02-05-2023, 04:56 PM
https://www.billboard.com/music/awards/special-merit-awards-2023-recording-academy-honors-nirvana-the-supremes-1235212641/amp/

An article about the Lifetime Achievement Awards last night referencing Turkessa and Lisa

RanRan79
02-05-2023, 05:02 PM
I will say, for the first time in DECADES, lol, I think Diana's fans and Mary's fans are agreeing on this one. I've tried to twist it and turn it and think of an excuse or a pass, and I've got nothing.

That has to be a first! I mean can anyone remember a time when those two fandoms were in agreement about anything?

Maybe Diana did this to bring the fans together.:cool:

RanRan79
02-05-2023, 05:03 PM
To everyone that is mad and upset and want to get rid of everything they own about Diana Ross please send to me and do not throw away. Thanks :-)

Capt, let's split the haul, shall we?:cool:

RanRan79
02-05-2023, 05:05 PM
Well, if she’s there, she better be on a goddamned scooter or something. If she shows up on that red carpet twirling like Mahogany tonight, I will be HEATED.

Oh, I am so hoping she doesn't twirl on the red carpet, if only to keep your blood pressure down. If she does show up Mahogany 2023, just remember to do your breathing exercises.:p

RanRan79
02-05-2023, 05:12 PM
I didn't know that expressing a fan's disillusionment was a constructive view.

You aren't disillusioned, apparently, and if you read my comment closely, you'll see that my suggestion was you adding a constructive viewpoint, not me. A couple of people have taken the time to suggest reasons why she was a no show, and to caution not jumping to conclusions. You know, constructive perspective. You didn't choose to do that. You chose to call us drama queens. I think that's an unfair depiction of what's going on in this thread. It's insulting. And I realize you couldn't care less about insulting us, but I wasn't going to let your comment stand without some rebuttal and perspective on what was wrong with what you said vs what every single other person said, regardless of which side of the issue said person is on.

Roberta75
02-05-2023, 05:15 PM
You're right, Roberta. I regret saying that in my post. I have been so disappointed by her no-show and was comparing my level of disappointment to that sad time in 2002. I offer my sincere apologies for that insensitive reference.

No worries whatsoever my dear Carlo. We are all a bit on edge after the Miss Ross no show.

Fondly,

Roberta

RanRan79
02-05-2023, 05:17 PM
To bring her 20 year old DUI into this is seems real unfair IMO given she got sober and has stayed sober. There by the grace of God go we are those we love.

I disagree Roberta. Carlo simply mentioned that was the last time he had been disappointed in Diana. I think that's fair for him to state. And keep in mind, Florence's substance abuse issues 60 years ago are mentioned in every other thread every other week, and Mary's rumored indulgence in cocaine back in the day is also occasionally thrown around. Diana's DUI- a thing that could have resulted in some innocent person's death- is almost never mentioned. Go figure.

RanRan79
02-05-2023, 05:20 PM

Oh really Carlo, I defend you and now you regret saying it?:p

Roberta you scared Carlo into backing down. I demand you apologize this instant!:cool:

sansradio
02-05-2023, 05:28 PM
Aaaaaand it’s Michael Bublé.

Roberta75
02-05-2023, 05:34 PM
I disagree Roberta. Carlo simply mentioned that was the last time he had been disappointed in Diana. I think that's fair for him to state. And keep in mind, Florence's substance abuse issues 60 years ago are mentioned in every other thread every other week, and Mary's rumored indulgence in cocaine back in the day is also occasionally thrown around. Diana's DUI- a thing that could have resulted in some innocent person's death- is almost never mentioned. Go figure.

We will just have to agree to disagree. Ive never brought up Miss Ballard or Miss Wilsons substance abuse issues as ive had family members struggle and loose to al;chol and drug addiction. The blessed thing is she DIDNT hurt or kill herself or even worse an innocent person but fought and licked her addiction. Nobodys house is clean when it comes to addiction.

Yours, with every good wish.

Roberta

Roberta75
02-05-2023, 05:35 PM

Roberta you scared Carlo into backing down. I demand you apologize this instant!:cool:

Now now. Dear Carlo knows me better than that. LOL

carlo
02-05-2023, 06:04 PM

Lol. Thank you both RanRan and Roberta for the laughs and understanding.

Sadly, I understand your feelings, Roberta. My family was also affected by the darkness of alcoholism. I'm sorry to read this is also the case for your family. I can understand why it is a triggering subject for many, despite my disappointment.

carlo
02-05-2023, 06:08 PM
Aaaaaand it’s Michael Bublé.

I saw this too. I would have felt disappointed for her, but in light of yesterday's no-show, I can't help but have mixed feelings on her Grammy loss.

marybrewster
02-05-2023, 06:34 PM
That has to be a first! I mean can anyone remember a time when those two fandoms were in agreement about anything?

Maybe Diana did this to bring the fans together.:cool:

Shall we all join in for a rounding chorus of "Reach Out and Touch"? Lol.

I'm actually pleasantly surprised this thread has gone so well. I don't see any of this as "bashing"; simply everyone expressing their extreme disappointment. None of this changes my overall thoughts about Diana. But it certainly puts her in a different perspective.

Spreadinglove21
02-05-2023, 07:07 PM
Turkessa kept it classy on the Mary Wilson Instagram page about last night's honor.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CoSqz-YvO_-/

captainjames
02-05-2023, 08:05 PM
Yup, such a sweetheart and I am sure she and Lisa have been in touch with the Ross family.

jobeterob
02-05-2023, 08:55 PM
Interesting how Lisa mentioned that she didn’t really know her Mom - of course she wouldn’t but we forget things like that

floyjoy678
02-06-2023, 03:33 AM
Whenever I've seen an article about Diana, there is almost always a nod to the Supremes. Without the Supremes, there's no Diana Ross. I'm disappointed but can't say I'm surprised. I think for me it started with Mary's passing. I thought, for example, she'd contribute to the Anthology. Nothing. She almost has a phobia of anything Supremes related yet continues to sing those songs in her show. The songs everyone wants to hear. I get it that those years with the Supremes may not have been her happiest but at her age she needs to get over it at this point.

I've heard some songs from the Thank You album and I'm going to be blunt: it's not Grammy worthy. Not even for a nomination.

As someone who had a drinking problem back in the day, went through AA, had a close friend pass away from the addiction, your words did not offend me Carlo and didn't see anything wrong with what you said.

florence
02-06-2023, 05:27 AM
I've heard some songs from the Thank You album and I'm going to be blunt: it's not Grammy worthy. Not even for a nomination.

Sorry but I have to agree.

At times in the past I've been bitter about some great songs/ albums not getting the nod but while Thank You is a solid album with some excellent tracks there's also a number of dud tracks and in purely artistic terms imo it is just shy of even attaining a nomination.

Diana deserves a Grammy but not for Thank You.

jobucats
02-06-2023, 08:37 AM
Here's my two cents. I am extremely disappointed that neither Diana nor one of her children joined Mary and Florence's daughters to accept the Lifetime Achievement Award.

I did not watch the awards last night; however, as someone else has mentioned, I will be totally pissed if Diana did show up and do her twirl on the red carpet for the main show.

Over the years, on different forums, I have always come to her defense when other 'self-proclaimed Supreme fans who hate Diana Ross' would bad mouth her or attempt to minimize her achievements. She was always my favorite since I was introduced to the Supremes in 1965...yes, I was a little late to the party.

I'm going to wait to see if she or any of her doting children come forward to explain why Diana did not participate in receiving the award. In the meantime, I'll just enjoy her music; however, I will not continue to defend or promote her. I am not going to trash my memorabilia. I do not plan to replay her interviews where speaks of being positive and grateful while her surface antics demonstrate that she really is not grateful for her tenure with the Supremes. Since she has such low regard for her time with them, maybe she should just stop relying on performing Supremes songs at her concerts.

Spreadinglove21
02-06-2023, 09:08 AM
She didn't show up at the main show last night. So that's that. She couldn't even bother to send out a Tweet about receiving this honor, instead in the last month tweeting about hats and Evan now trying to make a go at it in restaurants.

Since this means little to nothing to her, she should just drop Supremes songs from her show and just sing her solo stuff, with an emphasis on the preachy type material. Ironic that the last 10-15 years or so, she's very vocal about being positive and being loving and the Thank You album is drenched in such sentiments, but when given an opportunity to practice what she's been preaching by showing up to stand with the daughters of Mary and Flo and saying "Thank you", she couldn't do it. As marybrewster stated so much for "Thank you".

I won't destroy my Ross CDs or tune out her leads on Supremes song and just listen to the backgrounds and music, that's silly. She's a remarkable talent. But I don't regard too highly as a person. Too often vapid and self absorbed, only caring about herself and her family and that's it.

I recall reading in one of the books that her father had doubts about her joining the Primettes as he thought his daughter lacked a group mentality. Over 60 years later she continues to prove him right.

carlo
02-06-2023, 12:46 PM
I get it that those years with the Supremes may not have been her happiest but at her age she needs to get over it at this point.

Totally agree with this. I had the same thought over the weekend.

As someone who had a drinking problem back in the day, went through AA, had a close friend pass away from the addiction, your words did not offend me Carlo and didn't see anything wrong with what you said.

Thank you, floyjoy. Sorry to read that your life and your friend's life had been affected by this same issue.

I won't destroy my Ross CDs or tune out her leads on Supremes song and just listen to the backgrounds and music, that's silly. She's a remarkable talent. But I don't regard too highly as a person. Too often vapid and self absorbed, only caring about herself and her family and that's it.

I'm now also in the same boat as you, Spreadinglove. I wish I didn't feel this way, but it's very obvious that what she says and what she does, are two very different things.

thommg
02-06-2023, 01:10 PM
Ms. Ross did release a statement through her publicist on Saturday: “Performing with two talented woman, Mary Wilson and Florence Ballard, is a memory that will be in my heart forever. It was a beautiful symphony. Motown was such an incredible family. I'm forever grateful for the blessed opportunity.”

Ollie9
02-06-2023, 02:16 PM
I think in accepting such a prestigious award, Diana would be facing the reality that it wasn’t all just about her. This is something i can never envisage her doing, Supremes or no Supremes.

sup_fan
02-06-2023, 03:00 PM
I think in accepting such a prestigious award, Diana would be facing the reality that it wasn’t all just about her. This is something i can never envisage her doing, Supremes or no Supremes.

actually i don't think that's true at all. there was a situation where at a show she did a Q&A with the audience and someone started to bash Mary. diana cut them right off and reprimanded them, saying that mary had been keeping the magic and legacy of The Supremes alive for all these years.

I think Diana did really see The Supremes as Mary's group. Diana was a member for 9 years. mary for 17. during the non-Diana years, they kept going mostly because of mary and they recorded some very good music. I believe diana was more than aware of their music and albums and very proud to have been part of the group but also very proud of mary for maintaining a "supreme" group.

i have no insider info as to why she didn't join in. i had wished she had. but she's always damned if she did, damned if she didn't

marybrewster
02-06-2023, 03:04 PM
And in this case, more dammed because she didn't.

Ollie9
02-06-2023, 03:54 PM
i have no insider info as to why she didn't join in. i had wished she had. but she's always damned if she did, damned if she didn't

That’s just a get out of jail card created so she can never be blamed for anything.
I think the Supremes accomplished more then just making some good music. As such, i think their legacy was deserving of some kind of recognition by the only surviving original member.
I can just imagine the poor Diana posts had Mary been still alive and attended.

Roberta75
02-06-2023, 04:01 PM
If they had cut out the 3 'fans" segments in the Grammys they could have shown clips from the Saturday night and maybe we could have seen Lisa and Turkessa. They didnt even mention any of Saturdays lifetime Grammys and they could have flashed to Lisa and Turkessa cause they were in the audience last night.

sup_fan
02-06-2023, 04:27 PM
look i completely get it that the industry and much of the general public hasn't properly acknowledged the group. and i get it that individual former members have made poor decisions over the years regarding the group. those are things that i have 0 control or influence over.

my being a fan is based on my own personal enjoyment, not on outside recognition or acknowledgement. sure i'd love more but if they had had 75 grammies, and every album went #1 etc etc it wouldn't make me like them more. it wouldn't add any pleasure to my listening to YCHL for the 10,000,000th time. it wouldn't change my opinion that the MS&S is an amazing and classic album. it wouldn't increase the tingles down the spine every time i listen to Diana's solo rendition of Little Girl Blue. it wouldn't make me dance any faster every time i hear The Boss.

my purpose here on this forum is to delve into crazy fun minutiae on the group, trade stories and info, etc. None of that is increased or decreased based on the presence of a grammy or whether Diana shows up or not.

Ollie9
02-06-2023, 05:15 PM
my purpose here on this forum is to delve into crazy fun minutiae on the group, trade stories and info, etc. None of that is increased or decreased based on the presence of a grammy or whether Diana shows up or not.

That’s fine, i feel much the same way. It still doesn’t excuse Diana’s thoughtless behaviour.

sup_fan
02-06-2023, 05:52 PM
was she in the audience Sunday for the main awards show? i've never really bothered much with any of them so i never watch the red carpets, who's seen with who, etc.

Ollie9
02-06-2023, 06:09 PM
was she in the audience Sunday for the main awards show? i've never really bothered much with any of them so i never watch the red carpets, who's seen with who, etc.

No, she was at home trying to pretend it wasn’t happening. :eek:

marybrewster
02-06-2023, 06:24 PM
look i completely get it that the industry and much of the general public hasn't properly acknowledged the group. and i get it that individual former members have made poor decisions over the years regarding the group. those are things that i have 0 control or influence over.

my being a fan is based on my own personal enjoyment, not on outside recognition or acknowledgement. sure i'd love more but if they had had 75 grammies, and every album went #1 etc etc it wouldn't make me like them more. it wouldn't add any pleasure to my listening to YCHL for the 10,000,000th time. it wouldn't change my opinion that the MS&S is an amazing and classic album. it wouldn't increase the tingles down the spine every time i listen to Diana's solo rendition of Little Girl Blue. it wouldn't make me dance any faster every time i hear The Boss.

That's fantastic for you. But not everyone has to feel the same way. Cutting through the bullshit of 1967, 1970, 1983, 2000 and any other year someone wants to throw in, It's unlikely the world would even know who she was if it weren't for the Supremes. She has forgotten her roots and disregarded their legacy.

There's no excuse why Diana didn't properly represent herself, either in person or via messenger. Period.

captainjames
02-06-2023, 08:00 PM
I want to thank Harvey Mason Jr. as the new CEO and his new direction with the Grammys.

Roberta75
02-06-2023, 09:13 PM
This is a real good recap but Ive tried all day and cant find a video of Lisa and Turkessa although Lisa has said shes going to post some clips. I will keep checking Facebook.

https://www.billboard.com/music/awards/special-merit-awards-2023-recording-academy-honors-nirvana-the-supremes-1235212641/

milven
02-07-2023, 01:36 AM
This is a real good recap but Ive tried all day and cant find a video of Lisa and Turkessa although Lisa has said shes going to post some clips. I will keep checking Facebook.

https://www.billboard.com/music/awards/special-merit-awards-2023-recording-academy-honors-nirvana-the-supremes-1235212641/

Just a couple of photos. Can't find videos either.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/02/GettyImages-1462847849.jpg?w=1000

Ollie9
02-07-2023, 04:28 AM
That's fantastic for you. But not everyone has to feel the same way. Cutting through the bullshit of 1967, 1970, 1983, 2000 and any other year someone wants to throw in, It's unlikely the world would even know who she was if it weren't for the Supremes. She has forgotten her roots and disregarded their legacy.

There's no excuse why Diana didn't properly represent herself, either in person or via messenger. Period.

Bottom line, with Ross apologists no longer able to use Mary as a scapegoat for Diana’s now obvious indifference to anything Supreme. So very sad and totally unnecessary.

1382hitsville
02-07-2023, 06:47 AM
I have mixed feelings about it. The girls look stunning, proud and represented their mothers legacy in a good way.

Ms Ross...I fail to get my head around why she ignored the whole thing.

Putting myself in her shoes, whatever she done, she could not do it right. By being there she will have overshadowed the girls, by sending her children she would have faced backlash. So, as if often, if you can't do right, then do nothing.

However, complete ignoring the whole award is making it worse. Just posting one pic, one clip could have made a difference. As people wrote, its the start of her career. The Supremes are already often overlooked. Now she is doing it herself?

Mixed feelings because I'm glad and proud the girls got their award, sad and disappointed there is complete silence from the one member who was there at the start of it all.

And sad the other Supremes, who kept the group going, despite the troubles, are ignored.

Spreadinglove21
02-07-2023, 09:02 AM
I don't think Diana Ross would have received back lash if she had appeared with Turkessa and Lisa to accept the award. The daughters aren't entertainers and they aren't trying to forge careers as public figures. Diana standing with them would have been seen as positive and gracious, unless Diana did something so spoil it like not acknowledge them or look at them, or push them, or covering their faces with her hands or trash talk their mothers and their families while making her acceptance speech while bragging about herself and her children. And if she had shown up I don't think she would have engaged in such stunts.

Spreadinglove21
02-07-2023, 09:04 AM
I have mixed feelings about it. The girls look stunning, proud and represented their mothers legacy in a good way.

Ms Ross...I fail to get my head around why she ignored the whole thing.

Putting myself in her shoes, whatever she done, she could not do it right. By being there she will have overshadowed the girls, by sending her children she would have faced backlash. So, as if often, if you can't do right, then do nothing.

However, complete ignoring the whole award is making it worse. Just posting one pic, one clip could have made a difference. As people wrote, its the start of her career. The Supremes are already often overlooked. Now she is doing it herself?

Mixed feelings because I'm glad and proud the girls got their award, sad and disappointed there is complete silence from the one member who was there at the start of it all.

And sad the other Supremes, who kept the group going, despite the troubles, are ignored.

I hope after this debacle Diana Ross cuts the fake ass new agey positive and I love you BS rhetoric that she likes to wallow in when making statements and writing songs. Until she can better practice what she preaches, she should cut out the preaching.

RanRan79
02-07-2023, 09:31 AM

The only excuse that I will accept is if something is wrong, physically. Maybe senior age has her arthritis inflamed. Maybe she's having some kind of anxiety about large crowds or something. I don't know, but I could accept those as legit reasons why she failed to attend. However, it's difficult to give her that kind of benefit of the doubt when apparently the only public attention she gave to the honor was a brief statement released by her publicist.

Her social media should have been full of acknowledgements for this. Photos, anecdotes, music, to at least give the appearance that, while not in attendance, she is very much there in spirit.

I agree with Supfan on reasons to be a fan and that it doesn't have anything to do with the Grammies. But that wasn't the issue. The issue was the Supremes receiving the highest honor the music industry awards musical acts and the last living original Supreme couldn't be bothered. To many of us it feels like if a bunch of artists suddenly started talking crap about why the Supremes were being honored when they weren't really that good. At this point I'm imagining that some of the comments I see around the web dissin the Supremes is Diana Ross herself.;)

RanRan79
02-07-2023, 09:39 AM
Of course Diana would have overshadowed Turquessa and Lisa. She's freaking DIANA ROSS. Lol Who is Turquessa and Lisa in comparison? We love them, of course, but we love them because we love their mothers. They have done nothing for us to be fans over. Diana Ross, on the other hand, has released decades of music that we are fans of. So I don't think anyone could reasonably fault Diana for being the focal point in the middle of Turquessa and Lisa, especially if Diana made it a point to ensure that the other ladies got equal time at the mic to speak on behalf of their mothers.

That being said, there is only one other lady who could have been on that stage with Diana and not been overshadowed: Mary Wilson. Mary wouldn't have allowed it, and quite frankly, over the years, Mary had done a great job of making sure people knew who the real Queen Supreme was. The press wouldn't have ignored her, not even for Diana Ross. Twenty years ago? Maybe. Over the last several years of Mary's life? Doubt it.

RanRan79
02-07-2023, 09:45 AM
I hope after this debacle Diana Ross cuts the fake ass new agey positive and I love you BS rhetoric that she likes to wallow in when making statements and writing songs. Until she can better practice what she preaches, she should cut out the preaching.

I wouldn't call her messaging positivity fake. She didn't show up to the Grammies and honor the group that made her famous, but it's not like Turquessa and Lisa were at her front door asking for a piece of bread and a sip of water and Diana was like "Get the hell away from here, you bums!". She appears to be a doting mother and grandmother, she gives her time to just causes and when individuals need her, she shows up. We can call her out when she makes a bad move, but I don't think one bad move makes a phony person. This chick just doesn't give a crap about the Supremes, but that don't mean she doesn't care about humanity in general.

sansradio
02-07-2023, 09:56 AM
The only excuse that I will accept is if something is wrong, physically.

Normally, I would as well, of course, but look at Tina Turner. By all accounts, she's got one foot on the grave and the other one on a banana peel, but was thoughtful and gracious enough to send a video message for her RRHOF induction. My arms are still folded, Miss Ross.

sup_fan
02-07-2023, 10:55 AM

the supremes' history is full of bullshit, fights, disses, etc. and all participates shared in this. flo caused all sorts of problems, mary causes them, diana, and all of the rest. there have been debacles and fuck ups since nearly the beginning. all of the ladies have done things to mar the image of the group so how is this any different.

would i have liked to see here there. sure i would. would have been lovely. but what purpose does it serve to invest that level of personal attachment to people you don't know? at least i'm assuming you don't have a lengthy, personal relationship with any of the women. we are fans. we're not family, we're not friends with them. they provide us with entertainment and we return that with fan support. that doesn't mean they're infallible or perfect. mistakes don't erase the contribution they've given us. Mary and Diana's behaviors at motown 25 or RTL or their snarky books don't erase the magic of 3 young black girls in the mid 60s being major successes at the Copa and in Vegas. it doesn't negate their amazing songs. and dwelling on supposed slight [[of which we don't really know why she wasn't there) doesn't seem highly productive

sup_fan
02-07-2023, 10:57 AM
I wouldn't call her messaging positivity fake. She didn't show up to the Grammies and honor the group that made her famous, but it's not like Turquessa and Lisa were at her front door asking for a piece of bread and a sip of water and Diana was like "Get the hell away from here, you bums!". She appears to be a doting mother and grandmother, she gives her time to just causes and when individuals need her, she shows up. We can call her out when she makes a bad move, but I don't think one bad move makes a phony person. This chick just doesn't give a crap about the Supremes, but that don't mean she doesn't care about humanity in general.

well said ran. i don't know that i believe that she doesn't care about the supremes. i think she does. as to why she didn't show up, i don't know. i've not spoken to her lol ;) but my lack of an official reason or statement doesn't mean we should assume the worse.

floyjoy678
02-07-2023, 11:21 AM
I don't think it's that she doesn't care about the Supremes, but there's something that obviously triggers anxiety for her regarding the Supremes. But I can't give her a pass. You can't avoid it, you have to face it. And she hasn't and I know why but I don't want to stir the pot on here.

Circa 1824
02-07-2023, 11:22 AM
”Thank You” did not deserve a Grammy. Parts of it are cringeworthy and other parts blah. She has an old lady voice, and old people never sound as good or run as fast as the young. Their days of trophies generally lie in the past. She deserved many Grammys for earlier stellar work. “Thank You” is no where near that quality.

I had no vested interest in her going to the Grammys. It’s no big deal because almost no one saw the Supremes award anyway, and some who did had no idea who she is and what the group meant to music. I would have like to see a new pic of her nicely dressed and made up, but it did not happen.

1382hitsville
02-07-2023, 11:54 AM
Again, the behavior for unknown reasons causes the fans to get emotional about it. At least, I am. And yes, Ms. Ross doesn't owe us fans anything, she has performed, pushed and acted to entertain us for many years.

However, her brand of positivity and gratitude doesn't match this occasion. I really fail to understand it.

And to put some Dutch directness into the conversation, what if she becomes ill or even worse in the coming months? I surely hope not and wish everyone a happy and healthy life, but what if not? This will be the last thing we and the press will remember?

Remember the last video posted by Ms Wilson? She was glowing about the upcoming release. That remains the last public image of her.

I guess with everything going on in the world right now, carpe diem, enjoy every day, kiss, hug and love the people close to you. Express gratitude to the ones you love [[pun taken, song "in the ones you love").

You never know what tomorrow brings.

I'm still baffled by all of this mess.

And also thankful for the daughters who looked great and shined on behalf of their mother.

telekin
02-07-2023, 04:57 PM
Regarding Diana's no-show, count me in the 'disappointed by not surprised' category. I would have been surprised if she did show up, quite frankly. I thought the statement she released was lovely, and looking at the past, she has rarely attended "Motown family" events unless Berry is also present. And when she does acknowledge The Supremes, it has generally been on her own terms. To echo marybrewster's sentiment - I do think it was too bad she didn't send Rhonda in her stead, if she wasn't inclined to be there herself. What a beautiful thing it would have been to have the original Supremes' first-born daughters together commemorating the legacy. Perhaps that'll happen for a future honour.

I also wonder if the fact that she may have been a long-shot to win her solo nomination may have played into her no-show.

Either way, I'm loving the photos of Lisa and Turkessa, and how wonderful it was to see them honouring The Supremes together.

Ollie9
02-07-2023, 07:47 PM
I’m certainly not going to let it effect my appreciation of the music, but i firmly believe the reason Diana virtually ignored the whole occasion comes down to the fact it was not exclusively about her.
Mary always said Diana had a problem in sharing the limelight. I think this rather proves she was pretty much spot on with her assessment.

Boogiedown
02-07-2023, 08:39 PM
But Ollie don't you think the ever-present, hands-on style of the Ross family would have known better the need to steer this in a proper direction and would have guided Diana into seeing a path to doing so?
Even now in the aftermath, the entire Ross ensemble remains tight-lipped when its an obvious faux pas that would be best addressed.

Something is not right.

captainjames
02-07-2023, 09:00 PM
I’m certainly not going to let it effect my appreciation of the music, but i firmly believe the reason Diana virtually ignored the whole occasion comes down to the fact it was not exclusively about her.
Mary always said Diana had a problem in sharing the limelight. I think this rather proves she was pretty much spot on with her assessment.

No I can't go with that. I even remember an award that Diana received that she dedicated to all the Supremes ESPECIALLY to Mary Wilson and I know of an incident when a fan tried to dog Mary and Diana put them in their place saying, " You don't know Mary Wilson, she has been the reason for the Supremes continued legacy". So, I am not buying any of the fans reasons against Diana. I let it go when I heard Ross and all her Kids and spouses were not attending and no one was asked to received any awards for her. Oh my GOD I am reaching for that point in my life when I can say "NO", I am not doing it.

thanxal
02-08-2023, 12:01 AM
As I've been reading this thread, the thought popped into my mind that this has nothing to do with Diana's relationship with the Supremes, but rather her relationship with the Grammys. Maybe she has resentment against the organization for past [[perceived or real) slights and therefore didn't want to put herself out on a limb to be present for any event due to resentment.

Just a thought...

Ollie9
02-08-2023, 05:48 AM
No I can't go with that. I even remember an award that Diana received that she dedicated to all the Supremes ESPECIALLY to Mary Wilson and I know of an incident when a fan tried to dog Mary and Diana put them in their place saying, " You don't know Mary Wilson, she has been the reason for the Supremes continued legacy". So, I am not buying any of the fans reasons against Diana. I let it go when I heard Ross and all her Kids and spouses were not attending and no one was asked to received any awards for her. Oh my GOD I am reaching for that point in my life when I can say "NO", I am not doing it.

Exactly, it was an award that she was being given, not the Supremes collectively. I imagine this being the only reason she was there in the first place. Words are all to easy, it’s actions that really matter.
This award was as much about Mary and Flo as it was about Diana. Not really the best time to decide i can’t be assed anymore methinks. Sometimes in life you have to look beyond yourself.

Ollie9
02-08-2023, 06:07 AM
But Ollie don't you think the ever-present, hands-on style of the Ross family would have known better the need to steer this in a proper direction and would have guided Diana into seeing a path to doing so?
Even now in the aftermath, the entire Ross ensemble remains tight-lipped when its an obvious faux pas that would be best addressed.

Something is not right.

You know what Boogie, as a fan i really hope your right and there is indeed a concrete reason as to why Diana has distanced herself from something that meant so much to so many. Apologists aside, she is receiving vast amounts of negative criticism from all corners at the moment which could so easily have been avoided.
If she was ill, surely a simple announcement would make for good PR. You don’t have to go into detail.
Perhaps all are keeping their heads down, just wishing it would go away.

Levi Stubbs Tears
02-08-2023, 06:41 AM
So much disappointment, bad blood and regrets in this thread.

Luckily today I managed to download a couple of videos from the better [[not sure if I can call em 'good') old days..

Wlll watch them tonight as a tribute to 'Diana Ross' AND 'The Supremes'.

Ollie9
02-08-2023, 07:09 AM
So much disappointment, bad blood and regrets in this thread.]

Strange that, i really can’t imagine why. :confused:
Perhaps fans should keep personal opinion to themselves regarding this most important of events. As much as I enjoy them, this was never a thread relating to which songs or concerts make us happy.

marybrewster
02-08-2023, 09:31 AM
the supremes' history is full of bullshit, fights, disses, etc. and all participates shared in this. flo caused all sorts of problems, mary causes them, diana, and all of the rest. there have been debacles and fuck ups since nearly the beginning. all of the ladies have done things to mar the image of the group so how is this any different.

would i have liked to see here there. sure i would. would have been lovely. but what purpose does it serve to invest that level of personal attachment to people you don't know? at least i'm assuming you don't have a lengthy, personal relationship with any of the women. we are fans. we're not family, we're not friends with them. they provide us with entertainment and we return that with fan support. that doesn't mean they're infallible or perfect. mistakes don't erase the contribution they've given us. Mary and Diana's behaviors at motown 25 or RTL or their snarky books don't erase the magic of 3 young black girls in the mid 60s being major successes at the Copa and in Vegas. it doesn't negate their amazing songs. and dwelling on supposed slight [[of which we don't really know why she wasn't there) doesn't seem highly productive

That's all fine and well said.

But she couldn't send a telegram?

Dwelling is not productive. But are 80% of the threads here? When we going to dredge up Motown 25 again, or RTL.

Look, I know you mean well. But there's no way you can tap dance around Diana has insulted the fans and the Supremes. Even lifelong "Rossers" know she's wrong.

carlo
02-08-2023, 10:01 AM
As I've been reading this thread, the thought popped into my mind that this has nothing to do with Diana's relationship with the Supremes, but rather her relationship with the Grammys. Maybe she has resentment against the organization for past [[perceived or real) slights and therefore didn't want to put herself out on a limb to be present for any event due to resentment.

Just a thought...

Funny thing, thanxal. I had this same thought this morning, as I was thinking about the statement she had made via her publicist, which was first published in the Variety article. She voiced her gratitude for working with Mary and Flo, as well as the Motown family. However, in my opinion, it is telling that she made no reference to the Lifetime Achievement Award itself. You would think she would have acknowledged it in some way, by saying, "I am thankful that our legacy has been honoured by the Recording Academy" or something along those lines. That would also lead me to believe that she has some sort of beef with the institution. Maybe they refused to provide her with limo service to the ceremony? lol.

More seriously...even if this is the case, I still think she should have attended, or at the very least, posted her statement on social media as well. It's true that she very rarely seems to post about The Supremes on her social media accounts. The last time may have been two years ago, when Mary passed. I know for myself, my reaction to Diana's absence has been further heightened by Mary's passing and the sadness of knowing that much of the future legacy work for the group had died with her [someone else in this thread also alluded to this].

There is also no denying that Diana has avoided all of the past honours for The Supremes, but we know that had much to do with her avoidance of Mary...

There comes a point at her age where you have to put all of that aside and give up 'the Ms Ross mystique and aloofness', but I guess you can't change a tiger's stripes.

Levi Stubbs Tears
02-08-2023, 11:04 AM
this was never a thread relating to which songs or concerts make us happy.

No - a thread with a title like this should have been about celebrating a legacy not nit-picking and back-biting. But - well it is the DRATS channel I guess..

RanRan79
02-08-2023, 11:15 AM
No - a thread with a title like this should have been about celebrating a legacy not nit-picking and back-biting. But - well it is the DRATS channel I guess..

That's unrealistic, and again, so very insulting to suggest that if something doesn't make us happy that we should just suck it up and shut up.

This thread did start off acknowledging the honor. Of course speculation about the details are natural prior to the ceremony. Had Diana shown up to the delight of most fans, this thread would have continued on about how great it all was. When she chose to stay home and watch The First 48 on A&E instead, naturally it would lead to disappointment, and naturally this would be the place for us active SD posters to vent about that disappointment.

If you weren't bothered by Ross' no show, you had as much right as anyone else to say that, just as those of us who were disappointed had the right to say so as well. It's not nitpicking just because you disagree.

RanRan79
02-08-2023, 11:26 AM
I don't buy the Grammy beef excuse. Diana had eons to beef with the Grammies, every time she was nominated and lost, or not nominated at all when she thought she deserved at least that. When they gave her a lifetime award, she broke her neck and ankles to be there to receive the honor. Since then she has done nothing to be recognized for...until, apparently, the release of the TY album, which was then nominated. Now all of a sudden she has beef? Nope. Uh uh. Not buying it. She didn't even show up for her own album because she purposed it in her mind it would be a cold day in hell before she showed up for the Supremes and she knew how it would look if she showed up for her nomination but not the Supremes' award.

What pisses me off about Diana is that she is smart enough to know how her actions can come across, she complains that she's misunderstood and mischaracterized, but she always does the thing that ends up making her look the worst, when it comes to the Supremes. If I were Diana's PR person, or heck, even one of her kids who doesn't want people coming for their mother's neck yet again, I would have told Diana, since she doesn't want to be a Supreme for the night, and as a result wouldn't even be attending her own award nomination, call Turkessa and Lisa and let them know you're sending over a note for either, or both, of them to read on her behalf when accepting the award. Or, as has been suggested, sending Rhonda in her place.

But Diana didn't do any of that. And now she's being picked apart, yet again, when it could have all been avoided. She's often her own worst enemy.

Ollie9
02-08-2023, 11:38 AM

I really don’t hear anyone nit-picking or back-biting. What I do hear are fans expressing how let down they are feeling due to a certain someone’s apparent indifference to the group that made her a star. A slight damper on celebrations methinks.
It’s how we respond to varying opinion that makes us who we are.

Boogiedown
02-08-2023, 12:19 PM

With a title like this , you’re absolutely right . And whose fault is it that it isn’t ??

Noticing total silence directly from Diana Ross is nitpicking ? Hee haw !

jobeterob
02-08-2023, 02:06 PM
I think there’s a bit too much fuss about something very few care about.

It reminds me of how people complain that Diana isn’t celebrated and awarded enough. Honestly - I think she’s had plenty.

The Supremes might have some complaint but have the Beach Boys and Rolling Stones been recognized more? I had given up in the Supremes getting a Lifetime Achievement Award.

Spreadinglove21
02-08-2023, 02:15 PM
I don't buy the Grammy beef excuse. Diana had eons to beef with the Grammies, every time she was nominated and lost, or not nominated at all when she thought she deserved at least that. When they gave her a lifetime award, she broke her neck and ankles to be there to receive the honor. Since then she has done nothing to be recognized for...until, apparently, the release of the TY album, which was then nominated. Now all of a sudden she has beef? Nope. Uh uh. Not buying it. She didn't even show up for her own album because she purposed it in her mind it would be a cold day in hell before she showed up for the Supremes and she knew how it would look if she showed up for her nomination but not the Supremes' award.

What pisses me off about Diana is that she is smart enough to know how her actions can come across, she complains that she's misunderstood and mischaracterized, but she always does the thing that ends up making her look the worst, when it comes to the Supremes. If I were Diana's PR person, or heck, even one of her kids who doesn't want people coming for their mother's neck yet again, I would have told Diana, since she doesn't want to be a Supreme for the night, and as a result wouldn't even be attending her own award nomination, call Turkessa and Lisa and let them know you're sending over a note for either, or both, of them to read on her behalf when accepting the award. Or, as has been suggested, sending Rhonda in her place.

But Diana didn't do any of that. And now she's being picked apart, yet again, when it could have all been avoided. She's often her own worst enemy.

Indeed. Sometimes Diana Ross doesn't make it easy for that part of her fanbase that regards her as perfect and infallible. When she fails to live up to that, rather than admit she made a mistake by not showing up, or posting this on social media, or not even sending a message to be read, they are resorting to what aboutism, rationalizations, etc. Or saying, let's sweep this under the rug and focus on the Supremes accomplishments.