PDA

View Full Version : The Original Vandellas on Internet Radio tonight

test

motown_david
06-12-2011, 02:37 PM
http://www.jhf-website.com/BIR/index.html

I see that Roz and Annette, the Original Vandellas, are on Boston Internet Radio tonight at 9 pm, Eastern time. There is an extensive interview conducted by Mike MIller in which they give their side of the Vandellas story. Should be fascinating. the show is repeated all week.

theboyfromxtown
06-12-2011, 02:50 PM
That's 2 in the morning here in London.

How are we gonna be able to hear it?

luke
06-12-2011, 04:31 PM
great thanks motowndavid

marv2
06-12-2011, 04:46 PM
This should be very good. Thanks for the alert MotownDavid.

motown_david
06-13-2011, 11:12 AM
http://www.harmonystreet.biz/harmony_street_radio_interviews.html

It's not here yet John as the interview is being broadcast all week on Boston Internet Raido but eventually the Vandellas show will be archived on this page.

marv2
06-13-2011, 01:07 PM
I could not get it to play for me last night.

Ramone Verona
06-14-2011, 04:16 PM
So just what is the current story on these two with regard to Martha?
Is it a good reason they seldom sing with Martha or is it a controversial reason?

theboyfromxtown
06-14-2011, 04:21 PM
The current story is that Martha perfoms with Lois and Delphine whereas Annette and Rosalind perform with a different lead singer.

Ramone Verona
06-14-2011, 04:32 PM
Isn't that a bit like Hula performing without the Hoop?

westgrandboulevard
06-14-2011, 04:42 PM
Ramone

You could try telling Martha that...lol

Ramone Verona
06-14-2011, 04:49 PM
Well Martha's sisters are just fine; especially since Lois is a Motown Vandella.
But I would think that Annette and Roz would have a hard time selling their act without Martha.
And it seems audiences would spirit that there must be some ugly rift between them and Martha.
And how can a thermos keep liquid both cold AND hot???

theboyfromxtown
06-14-2011, 05:01 PM
Leave the top off...it soon goes cold!

But going back on topic. I suspect this interview might explain that aspect.

rod_rick
06-14-2011, 05:18 PM
From what I heard, the Original Vandellas sound pretty good. The original Vandellas will be in Los Angeles in August. I plan to attend the concert. I will post a review for sure.

Ramone Verona
06-14-2011, 05:24 PM
Good!
I know Roz has a wonderful voice!
I always thought the Vandellas had wonderful background parts and sounds!

theboyfromxtown
06-14-2011, 05:27 PM
Ramone

Rosalind substituted for a pregnant Wanda on Marvelettes recordings? And I guess you know who helped them out on their tours?

Ramone Verona
06-14-2011, 05:30 PM
Yes!

Florence Henderson!

theboyfromxtown
06-14-2011, 05:35 PM
Near enough...you win the prize

You can pay for me to see the Vandellas at their next concert!

Arf arf!

Did you see the pictures of Annette in London recently?

Ramone Verona
06-14-2011, 05:45 PM
Yes.
With all those men around a baywindow or such?
They certainly gave her the "star treatment"!

luke
06-14-2011, 05:49 PM
Roz and Annette are great ladies. Their group sounds excellent--they are on you tube.

theboyfromxtown
06-14-2011, 05:52 PM
Luke

Pat Lewis fronted them at first, are there videos of that line up too

luke
06-14-2011, 06:02 PM
Yep. I read an interivew with them and apparently Martha just wants to use her sisters-after hauling Roz and Annette out of retirement!

Ramone Verona
06-14-2011, 06:15 PM
So why did Pat split?

stopinthenameoflove
06-14-2011, 06:18 PM
Yep. I read an interivew with them and apparently Martha just wants to use her sisters-after hauling Roz and Annette out of retirement!

I think its quite petty of Martha to sideline the actual/original Vandellas

jobeterob
06-14-2011, 06:25 PM
I suppose they could try and get some work as "The Vandellas". Or are they prohibited from using the name?

It's been a long time since they were together; maybe Martha wants to try and support her family members.

Us fans always like to see the originals together but its not like there was a lifelong commitment made to stay together. I also think that we forget that perhaps these women only see each other every few years and don't even know each other anymore.

rod_rick
06-14-2011, 07:55 PM
Arf Arf what's that? What pictures of Annette can you post them?

smark21
06-14-2011, 08:10 PM
Perhaps Roz and Annette rather sing with a singer who still has a voice and whose voice isn't shot by and large, and isn't difficult to get along with?

jillfoster
06-15-2011, 01:18 AM
I know when I see Martha, I want to see Lois up there behind her. Lois has by far the best moves and stage presence of any Vandella that has stood onstage. what we see today is basically the last group of Vandellas, except Delphine is in Sandy's place because Sandy passed away.

theboyfromxtown
06-15-2011, 03:45 AM
Arf Arf what's that? What pictures of Annette can you post them?

Rodrick
Arf arf! This is an expression from my youth....cartoon days. It means ha ha....but like a child when he's being a bit cheeky.

I would post the pictures but they are too large and I don't know how to make them fit for this site. Grapevine took the pictures so maybe he might be better at doing it than me

jobeterob
06-15-2011, 11:27 AM
John

I can't send you a URL for this kind of thing............but Google "Free Picture Resize Starter"................and then you'll be able to make your things smaller!

Has anyone heard the Vandellas?

I think that someone sent me the interview John P. did with the Supremes, 70's, but they expired or something. Are they still available?

theboyfromxtown
06-15-2011, 03:13 PM
Rob

Am I making you feel guilty yet for not buying Final Sessions yet. If not, I'll keep trying!

robbert
06-15-2011, 07:55 PM
Perhaps Roz and Annette rather sing with a singer who still has a voice and whose voice isn't shot by and large, and isn't difficult to get along with?
That seems to be a dangerous remark about Martha's voice. On Facebook the other day I was expressing my regrets about the demise of her singing voice of lately and almost got crucified.
"Martha would not appreciate what I had said", one poster complained, who apparently knows her personally. He told me that "it should stay kind", bacause she and other Vandellas regularly read his Facebook-pages on several Motown subjects [[a.o. the Supremes gowns).

Ah, well...

smark21
06-15-2011, 08:02 PM
That seems to be a dangerous remark about Martha's voice. On Facebook the other day I was expressing my regrets about the demise of her singing voice of lately and almost got crucified.
"Martha would not appreciate what I had said", one poster complained, who apparently knows her personally. He told me that "it should stay kind", bacause she and other Vandellas regularly read his Facebook-pages on several Motown subjects [[a.o. the Supremes gowns).

Ah, well...

I saw Martha and her sisters perform last summer. When she keeps her voice in her lower register, she sounds alright, a nice bluesy feel to her voice and the phrasing is good. But when she goes for those high notes it's not good. In that respect, the voice is just not there. IF Lois or Delphine can hit those high notes, then the songs should be re arranged to one of them do the high notes while Martha concentrates on what she's still good at.

jobeterob
06-15-2011, 09:35 PM
This one is a harsh reality that some fans can't cope with.

Martha's voice issues have been out there for years ~ specifically since that bad Motown at the Superbowl Show. My boys were about 12 years old then and I will never forget one of their friends hearing Martha Reeves and ask "what was that all about" and wondering why she was on a Superbowl Halftime Show; because speaking honestly, it was horrible.

That was really the end of much of a voice. You twist it however you need it if you need to feel she is still a good singer; but it's not there. All of these old time women have lost a little something, but Martha lost a lot 15 years ago even.

It's best to stick with the records because they were great.

And I bought Let Yourself Go: The Final Sessions today!