PDA

View Full Version : Trying To Complete Another List:

test

chestersong
06-09-2011, 01:33 PM
it appears the Supremes did more religious-message songs in the early 70s. was this due to influence from Jean and Cindy? the group's live and television shows included most of these debuts as opposed to the recorded albums:

-Holy Moses
-May His Love Shine Forever
-Lean On Me
-He Ain't Heavy
-Feeling Good
-O Happy Day
-Heaven Help Us All
-Macarthur Park

can you experts help me with any other titles and perhaps why the group was including them at the time in their live shows? appreciate it! :)

marybrewster
06-09-2011, 02:32 PM
Maybe I'm dreaming, but didn't the Supremes [[70's) also include "I'll Take You There" in their live performances?

BayouMotownMan
06-09-2011, 02:35 PM
Supremes also did Save The Country. I think it was just the trend of the day, gospel music was beginning to come on stronger, Edwin Hawkins had just had a massive hit with Oh Happy Day [[which the Supremes also sang in their act). When disco took over a few years later everything else kinda took a dive

Ramone Verona
06-09-2011, 07:03 PM
Always enjoyed these kinds of songs when I heard them from the Supremes.
Did not care for Jean's version of "People" or "Brother".
Maybe it was the recordings, though.
I would love to know if professional studio versions exist!

smark21
06-09-2011, 07:57 PM
MacArthur Park is a religious or message song? Not sure I agree with that. Always considered it more of a song about a relationship gone bust.

One reason why the Jean led group is oftentimes the one I enjoy most is because they tackled more significant themes in their songs. It wasn't just songs about relationships, having sex and dancing. Shine On Me, Thank Him for Today, Wisdom of Time and When Can Brown Begin can be added to the list.

Ramone Verona
06-09-2011, 08:26 PM
I think Chester wants songs that were not on vinyl.
The Supremes must have had an outtake we have yet to hear from the ROCK GOSPEL LP.
It could be one of these songs from their live act.
Might be on the unreleased "Vegas" concert George talked about.

marv2
06-09-2011, 08:28 PM
During that era of the early 70's "Church Rock", "Christian Rock" etc was very popular in general much of it due to the over all success of the play "Jesus Christ Superstar". You had popular songs from popular artist such as:

My Sweet Lord - George Harrison
Oh Happy Day - The Edwin Hawkins Singers
Spirit in the Sky - Norman Greenbaum
Lay Down [[Candles in the Rain) Melanie
Jesus Is Just Alright - The Doobie Brothers
United We Stand - Brotherhood Of Man
Share The Land - The Guess Who
Heaven Help Us All - Stevie Wonder
Put Your Hand In The Hand - Ocean

There were others. These are just a few off the top of my head.

pj1
06-09-2011, 09:07 PM
Stealing In The Name Of the Lord
Brother Love's Traveling Salvation Show

marv2
06-09-2011, 09:31 PM
Stealing In The Name Of the Lord
Brother Love's Traveling Salvation Show

Yes! You can see that there was definitely a trend during the those years of the very late 60's and early 70's.

chestersong
06-09-2011, 10:44 PM
thankyou all. i had forgotten about "I'll take you there-Save the country-Stealing-Brother Love's". A studio vault track of any of these for album filler would be fun to have. George or Andy may be able to let us know if they have seen any of these titles save for the live versions?

Glenpwood
06-09-2011, 11:04 PM
Yes they were very God-centric in those the times.... just imagine if they reformed now and tried to adapt to today's chart trends... they'd have to do the exact opposite & record a song with the F Word in the title and hook to get airplay...