PDA

View Full Version : intro voice on Shorty's Chantilly Lace

test

soulwally
11-01-2022, 01:11 PM
Having a 'discussion' with a pal over whose voice it is before Shorty Long comes in with his vocal. My money's on producer Clarence Paul. And what's he saying?
https://youtu.be/KExEcOpcq8w

nsoule
11-01-2022, 01:24 PM
No idea who it is, but he says "Telephone, Shorty".

snakepit
11-01-2022, 01:30 PM
Always assumed it was "Tell 'em about it Shorty".
Clarence Paul is favourite

TomatoTom123
11-01-2022, 01:39 PM
I’m pretty sure he says “telephone, Shorty!"… mostly because he says it right after a telephone rings… :D

I don’t know who says it though. Still, a great track, classic Shorty. :cool:

snakepit
11-01-2022, 02:05 PM
yep...telephone it is

soulwally
11-01-2022, 02:16 PM
And I think it’s Tell em bout it Shorty too, Larry

WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance
11-01-2022, 04:48 PM
Nope. It's "telephone, Shorty." The premise behind the song is that it's a phone conversation, just like with the original version. Saying "Tell em bout it Shorty" in response to a phone ringing wouldn't make much sense.

soulwally
11-01-2022, 05:11 PM
Nope. It's "telephone, Shorty." The premise behind the song is that it's a phone conversation, just like with the original version. Saying "Tell em bout it Shorty" in response to a phone ringing wouldn't make much sense.
Does make sense in the way there are other songs that start in that manner. But the ‘telephone’ suggestion makes sense, though it’s not totally clear on the record

Roger Polhill
11-01-2022, 05:30 PM
It is much clearer on the stereo version.

snakepit
11-01-2022, 05:43 PM
It makes sense...i.e. his girl is ringing him, asking to go out...he is just getting in and is tired,tired,tired.But I don't hear a telephone

soulwally
11-01-2022, 06:33 PM
It makes sense...i.e. his girl is ringing him, asking to go out...he is just getting in and is tired,tired,tired.But I don't hear a telephone
…so Clarence Paul, if indeed it is him, has to shout ‘Telephone Shorty’. Then he rushes up to Berry’s office to demand he release Tammi’s All I Do. I haven’t heard a stereo version of Chantilly, I have TMG 600, the UK single. I hear the phone Snake

WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance
11-01-2022, 11:18 PM
Unfortunate, the music in the mix muddles the phone ringing, but it's there... And remember, that's the entire premise of the original, that this is a phone call we're overhearing.

Roger Polhill
11-02-2022, 12:08 AM
I`m hopeful that there a few more Shorty Long unreleased gems in the vaults. Possibly some demos of songs that he had written. There are alternates of "Here Comes The Judge"