PDA

View Full Version : Top lead [[or primary) vocalists to replace another in a Motown group

test

jobucats
09-30-2022, 01:48 PM
I was just watching Dennis Edwards in one of his first televised outings with the Temptations on the TCB special and was amazed just how outstanding he performed and did not miss a beat.

Do you have some 'new' group members who replaced someone else as the lead [[or a primary) singer who you thought...."Hey, ain't nothing like the real thing; however, this person is really going to work out."?

Some of the Motown acts [[and yes, they might have later left Motown) whose new lead/primary singer impressed me are:

Dennis Edwards [[Temptations)
Jean Terrell [[Supremes)
Theo Peoples [[Four Tops) comes to mind, not from a recording aspect, but just how well he seemed to remain true to his style while respecting the great Levi Stubbs.

To keep it simple, I am not necessarily referring to those new replacements were primarily regulated to being background singers.

ms_m
09-30-2022, 04:04 PM
Theo did a great job when he was with the Tempts as well. Back then it was hard to tell his voice from Ollie Woodson who was another great lead singer for the group.
There was another guy name Bruce who did a good job singing with the Tempts too. Can't remember his last name. I believed he passed away a few years back.

Sotosound
09-30-2022, 04:09 PM
Theo did a great job when he was with the Tempts as well. Back then it was hard to tell his voice from Ollie Woodson who was another great lead singer for the group.
There was another guy name Bruce who did a good job singing with the Tempts too. Can't remember his last name. I believed he passed away a few years back.
Springsteen? Banner?

Motown Eddie
09-30-2022, 04:14 PM
I say that Damon Harris did a great job replacing Eddie Kendricks in The Temptations. He had a very similar falsetto to Eddie.

Motown Eddie
09-30-2022, 04:18 PM
Before joining The Temptations, Dennis Edwards was great in The Contours [with his work on "Your Love Grows More Precious Every Day" & "It's So Hard Being A Loser"].

ms_m
09-30-2022, 04:23 PM
Springsteen? Banner?

HAHAHA

He was big guy but not green nor... from Jersey.:p

Sotosound
09-30-2022, 05:16 PM
Gotta have a shout out for Damon Harris as the replacement for Eddie Kendricks in The Tempations. His voice was different enough from Eddie's to know that it was him, but similar enough to blend in well and suit songs that suited Eddie.

Sotosound
09-30-2022, 05:21 PM
I say that Damon Harris did a great job replacing Eddie Kendricks in The Temptations. He had a very similar falsetto to Eddie.
Gotta have another shout out for Damon Harris as the replacement for Eddie Kendricks in The Tempations. His voice was different enough from Eddie's to know that it was him, but similar enough to blend in well and suit songs that suited Eddie.

Motown Eddie
10-06-2022, 01:13 PM
Here's a shout out for G.C. Cameron replacing Chico Edwards in The Spinners in 1967. He sounded Great on their last Motown hit "It's A Shame". It's unfortunate that he couldn't continue with the group when they left the company for Atlantic Records in 1972.

mysterysinger
10-06-2022, 02:07 PM
Billy Griffin - The Miracles
Dennis Edwards - The Contours

Motown Eddie
10-06-2022, 05:08 PM
Ann Bogan, replacing Gladys Horton in The Marvelettes. She only sang lead with the group on "I'm Gonna Hold On As Long As I Can", "Everybody Knows [But You]" & "Breakthru [I've Got My Freedom]".

NativeNuYorker
10-06-2022, 09:16 PM

Bruce Williamson, Jr. died from COVID in 2020. I saw him perform with the Temptations in 2007. I was thrown off because Otis usually insisted on tall slimmer leads.

arr&bee
10-08-2022, 12:00 PM
Richard street was a great replacement for the great[paul williams]in the temps.

ms_m
10-10-2022, 01:16 AM
Thanks NativeNuYorker, I went totally blank when I wrote that.
I think his size surprised a lot of people but he had nice chops.