PDA

View Full Version : Bobby Thomson - R.I.P.

test

juicefree20
08-17-2010, 07:59 PM
Bobby Thomson, who hit perhaps the most well-knpwn homerun in Baseball history, the famed "Shot Heard 'Round The World", has died at the age of 86, following a long illness.

Bobby's career pretty much predated my birth by a few years [[the Giants having moved from New York 2 years prior to my birth) & his career ending the year of my birth [[1960). But being a New Yorker & a Baseball fanatic as a kid, I certainly read of his historical moment, 49 years ago, this October 3rd, which linked the names Bobby Thomson & Ralph Branca forever.

So yet, another piece of the American fabric, a vestige of a bygone era which will never return, is gone. My condolences to his family, friends & fans.

Bobby Thomson - R.I.P.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/Former-New-York-Giants-baseball-great-Bobby-Thomson-dies-at-86-081710

Doug-Morgan
08-17-2010, 08:22 PM
Sad news, indeed.

As a bit of trivia, with all the video you see of the homer, it was radio announcer Russ Hodges who yelled "The Giants win the pennant." I seem to remember Ernie Harwell talking about he called the shot heard 'round the world. No one remembers his call. He was doing the TV broadcast.