PDA

View Full Version : A New Christmas CD from Diana?

test

khansperac
09-23-2022, 01:17 AM
Diana may work on a new Christmas CD. What songs would you like to hear from her? Would you like all new material, or her covering Christmas classics? Or a combo of both? I just realized she never sang the Eartha Kitt classic “Santa Baby” [[or did she?) I’d like to hear that.

florence
09-23-2022, 04:01 AM
Looks like many would like to see another Christmas CD but TBH not so keen myself.

I just wish she's get on with the Symphonic album - I'm beginning to doubt it will ever materialise.

Ollie9
09-23-2022, 04:19 AM
As she has already been down the traditional route, i would like it to be something a little different. Perhaps rarely recorded songs such as “Purple Snowflakes” etc.
If not that then a jazz styled holiday album. “Merry Christmas Baby” performed as a duet with Lionel Ritchie might be fun.
In short, anything but “Frosty The Snowman”, Santa Claus Is Coming To Town” type songs.

PeaceNHarmony
09-23-2022, 06:00 AM
I'm sick to death of 'Santa Baby' but Diana would do a great job of it and judging from the song's endless repetition on Christmas-music radio here in the NYC area it is a very popular song. So, why not? Quite a few singers of Diana's generation have multiple Christmas albums [[Dolly, James Taylor come to mind) so, again, why not?

RanRan79
09-23-2022, 07:53 AM
The list I posted in the other thread are songs that sprung to mind that she could record. Of those songs, the ones I'd love to hear her do:

O Come All Ye Faithful
I'll Be Home For Christmas
Christmas Just Aint Christmas
Frosty the Snowman
The Christmas Spell
What Do the Lonely Do At Christmas
Give Love On Christmas Day
Rockin Around the Christmas Tree
Last Christmas
Feliz Navidad
What Are You Doing New Year's Eve

I also thought it would be interesting to see if she can give a Christmas twist to something she's already recorded, like when she did "If We Hold On Together" for Christmas In Vienna, or covered Stevie's "Overjoyed" for Seasons Greetings.

"You Can't Hurry Santa", anyone?:cool:

RanRan79
09-23-2022, 08:01 AM
Sorry, I thought of a few more:

"Come See About the Tree"
"Christmas Hangover"
"We're Always Saying Merry Christmas"
"Don't Nobody Bring Me No Bad Gifts"
"I Want Presents" [["Muscles")

Don't mind me. I'm glad it's Friday.:cool:

In a bit more seriousness, I think it would be interesting if she could turn these into Christmas songs: "You're Good My Child" and "What You Gave Me".

RanRan79
09-23-2022, 08:02 AM
As she has already been down the traditional route, i would like it to be something a little different. Perhaps rarely recorded songs such as “Purple Snowflakes” etc.
If not that then a jazz styled holiday album. “Merry Christmas Baby” performed as a duet with Lionel Ritchie might be fun.
In short, anything but “Frosty The Snowman”, Santa Claus Is Coming To Town” type songs.

You oppose "Frosty the Snowman"? Blocked.

marybrewster
09-23-2022, 08:23 AM
How about "The Children's Christmas Song" with Rhonda and Tracee and Evan?

PeaceNHarmony
09-23-2022, 08:27 AM
... just remembered that Barry Manilow, too, has multiple Christmas albums. As always, fans have the ability to not purchase a title they don't want, and non-fans have the ability [[though, seldom employed ...) to ignore the title and / or the news if they are disinterested.

PeaceNHarmony
09-23-2022, 09:19 AM
Also - Anne Murray, Carpenters, Kenny Rogers, Temptations, Miracles, Natalie Cole have all released multiple Christmas albums... anybody have others? I'm sure there are more.

PeaceNHarmony
09-23-2022, 09:27 AM
James Brown and Elvis, too -

sansradio
09-23-2022, 09:40 AM
Also - Anne Murray, Carpenters, Kenny Rogers, Temptations, Miracles, Natalie Cole have all released multiple Christmas albums... anybody have others? I'm sure there are more.

Gladys & The Pips.

Boogiedown
09-23-2022, 10:22 AM
Make it a Ross family project … many possibilities there…
the grandkids could do a rousing rendition of Grandma Got ….

Spreadinglove21
09-23-2022, 10:53 AM
Make it a Ross family project … many possibilities there…
the grandkids could do a rousing rendition of Grandma Got ….

I'm sure at Ross family Christmas gatherings the grandkids are sure to sing "Patti" or "Gladys" or "Martha", or until 2021, "Mary" got run over by a reindeer rather than "Grandma"--if they knew what was good for them!

Boogiedown
09-23-2022, 10:58 AM
Hee Hee after a couple of hot toddies she probably joined in.

johnjeb
09-23-2022, 11:57 AM
Sorry, I thought of a few more:

"Come See About the Tree"
"Christmas Hangover"
"We're Always Saying Merry Christmas"
"Don't Nobody Bring Me No Bad Gifts"
"I Want Presents" ["Muscles"]

Don't mind me. I'm glad it's Friday.:cool:

In a bit more seriousness, I think it would be interesting if she could turn these into Christmas songs: "You're Good My Child" and "What You Gave Me".

Ran, here's a few more for your DR Xmas Playlist:

Getting Ready For Santa
No One Gets A Gift
Lovin’ Livin’ and Gettin’
I Can’t Give Back The Gift
Some Holiday Songs You Never Get Used To
Nothing But Fruitcakes
Am I Asking For Too Much
Santa Claus Came Today
Bah-Bah Humbug
[Dear Santa] Everything Is Good About Me
You Keep Me Hangin’ On [A Christmas Stocking’s Lament]

On a more mature note, I think Diana should avoid an album of overly familiar standards. She has done them already. She should feature songs that are unique in some way, in content or arrangement. In the last few years I have purchased Christmas albums by Bette Midler, Cyndi Lauper and Sharon Jones [RIP] & the Dap Kings that include some interesting music; Cool Yule, Christmas Conga and Ain't No Chimneys In The Projects, respectively. These are fun to play after my obligatory brief listens to Johnny and Andy.

I loved The Supremes 1965 Merry Christmas. Twinkle Twinkle Little Me should have been bigger and become a standard. Motown should have released a Diana Ross Christmas album in 1970 or 1971. I like her Christmas album A Very Special Season from 1994. However the Hallmark album Making Spirits Bright from the same year is subpar, imo.

SatansBlues
09-23-2022, 12:47 PM
I would only be interested if it was a Christmas album of new, original songs.

lucky2012
09-23-2022, 12:52 PM
The list I posted in the other thread are songs that sprung to mind that she could record. Of those songs, the ones I'd love to hear her do:

O Come All Ye Faithful
I'll Be Home For Christmas
Christmas Just Aint Christmas
Frosty the Snowman
The Christmas Spell
What Do the Lonely Do At Christmas
Give Love On Christmas Day
Rockin Around the Christmas Tree
Last Christmas
Feliz Navidad
What Are You Doing New Year's Eve

I also thought it would be interesting to see if she can give a Christmas twist to something she's already recorded, like when she did "If We Hold On Together" for Christmas In Vienna, or covered Stevie's "Overjoyed" for Seasons Greetings.

"You Can't Hurry Santa", anyone?:cool:

Yes to these, but especially Rockin Around The Christmas Tree and I’ll Be Home For Christmas, two of my favorite holiday songs ever. But I could do without Feliz Navidad. It gets on my nerves every Christmas.

PeaceNHarmony
09-23-2022, 01:28 PM
Gladys & The Pips.Yes indeed! And both quite nice, I recall. I especially love Gladys' vocal on 'Do You Hear What I Hear'.

Ollie9
09-23-2022, 02:45 PM
You oppose "Frosty the Snowman"? Blocked.

Pass me the heat lamp sweetie.:rolleyes: There is an original song by UK stage singer Elaine Paige titled “Father Christmas Eyes” that would really suit Diana. A jazz version of “My Favourite Things” might also be rather nice.

daviddh
09-23-2022, 07:21 PM
She recorded Santa baby ,but it's unreleased

sansradio
09-23-2022, 08:27 PM
She recorded Santa baby ,but it's unreleased

I knew about the possibility of "C'est si bon," but not "Santa Baby." Where is "SB' confirmed?

johnjeb
09-23-2022, 09:34 PM
Pass me the heat lamp sweetie.:rolleyes:

Ollie9, maybe Fats Domino will melt your heart rather than an innocent Frosty.

As an adult, I always passed over this song on any compilation. Once I heard Fats' version I was hooked.

Fats Domino

single version 1997 [faster tempo]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYNX7kQOjt4

album version 1993 [slower tempo]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WLiu2HnAR8

Ollie9
09-24-2022, 02:47 PM
Ollie9, maybe Fats Domino will melt your heart rather than an innocent Frosty.

As an adult, I always passed over this song on any compilation. Once I heard Fats' version I was hooked.

Fats Domino

single version 1997 [faster tempo]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYNX7kQOjt4

album version 1993 [slower tempo]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WLiu2HnAR8

Thanks for posting johnjeb. I did try really hard to like it, but it just don’t float my boat.
the Jackson Five version is for me the most bearable, being Michael sounds so sweet and innocent when singing about a snowman.
Given Diana’s age, i think it will more about which songs she feels she can perform well, though not seeing Frosty fitting that category.
I do love Diana Christmas recordings. I think her live in Vienna version of “Amazing Grace” surprised quite a few. Having said that, “Ave Maria” for me remains her worst recording ever.
My favourite Christmas cd is “What Christmas Means” by r&b singer KEM.

florence
09-25-2022, 06:52 AM
I always thought they should have released Amazing Grace as a Christmas single in the UK.

Might have done nothing but could have gone BIG.

Ollie9
09-25-2022, 12:32 PM
I always thought they should have released Amazing Grace as a Christmas single in the UK.

Might have done nothing but could have gone BIG.

I think the intro would have been to long for pop radio. I consider the Vienna 92 performance of the song to be her most powerful, with not a duff note or wrong lyric in sight. It’s how it found it’s way onto the cd.

daviddh
09-25-2022, 05:59 PM
Honestly, we don't need another Christmas album , do we.

I rather have another pop album

PeaceNHarmony
09-26-2022, 08:41 AM

I rather have another pop albumPreferentially I'm with you, David!

khansperac
09-26-2022, 09:12 AM
I’d rather have a new album of contemporary music. She had great writers and producers on her last album. I’m curious to see what magic Decca and Diana can create.

RanRan79
09-26-2022, 10:52 AM
I knew about the possibility of "C'est si bon," but not "Santa Baby." Where is "SB' confirmed?

I don't know if "Santa Baby" is confirmed, but I once saw it on a list of possible outtakes from the Christmas sessions. It's possible that the track was completed but no vocal exists. Or maybe the entire thing is missing, because I would think if it existed, it would have made its way onto the dozen Supremes Christmas album releases over the years. Although I guess it's possible that it exists but the vocal is bad, which the guys claim they would never do to the ladies. [[Although "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" begs to differ.:cool:)

RanRan79
09-26-2022, 10:54 AM

I rather have another pop album

Why can't we have both? And honestly, I don't want another "Thank You". I want Diana to get back to her roots. I don't want to hear her doing anything that any random singer might do.

khansperac
09-26-2022, 11:06 AM
Why can't we have both? And honestly, I don't want another "Thank You". I want Diana to get back to her roots. I don't want to hear her doing anything that any random singer might do.

I think “Thank You” was a solid effort. Many good songs. Plus Diana herself was more involved than ever before with her contribution to the song writing. That was a great accomplishment. It was a “theme” album, so I’m sure we wouldn’t get another TY album. I was just happy that it was more dance/R&B, that’s what I prefer. I’m curious as to what you mean by getting back to her roots.

sansradio
09-26-2022, 11:32 AM
I don't know if "Santa Baby" is confirmed, but I once saw it on a list of possible outtakes from the Christmas sessions. It's possible that the track was completed but no vocal exists. Or maybe the entire thing is missing, because I would think if it existed, it would have made its way onto the dozen Supremes Christmas album releases over the years. Although I guess it's possible that it exists but the vocal is bad, which the guys claim they would never do to the ladies. [[Although "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" begs to differ.:cool:)

Thanks, Ran. And I'll have no more "Over the Rainbow" sacrilege from you, young man; she's straining, but I like it. So there.:p

RanRan79
09-26-2022, 05:19 PM
I think “Thank You” was a solid effort. Many good songs. Plus Diana herself was more involved than ever before with her contribution to the song writing. That was a great accomplishment. It was a “theme” album, so I’m sure we wouldn’t get another TY album. I was just happy that it was more dance/R&B, that’s what I prefer. I’m curious as to what you mean by getting back to her roots.

Her roots of r&b, jazz, blues. I'd like to hear something with an old school feel to it. I loved "Turn Up the Sunshine" and "If the World Just Danced", but that's not the Diana I prefer at this point in the game. I'd like a return to the stuff that made her famous in the first place. There's still magic in her voice.

khansperac
09-26-2022, 05:29 PM
Thanks for replying. That’s the Diana I like as well. I was pleasantly surprised at the R&B, Jazzy adult contemporary songs on her last album. It was a good mix. But I see what you’re saying.

RanRan79
09-26-2022, 06:46 PM
Thanks, Ran. And I'll have no more "Over the Rainbow" sacrilege from you, young man; she's straining, but I like it. So there.:p

Your membership in the fandom will soon come up for review. This was not the time to admit this, sir. Not the time at all.:cool:

sansradio
09-26-2022, 07:25 PM
Your membership in the fandom will soon come up for review. This was not the time to admit this, sir. Not the time at all.:cool:

You crack me up! Have you ever caught that my screen name is an anagram? :cool:

TomatoTom123
09-26-2022, 07:42 PM
You crack me up! Have you ever caught that my screen name is an anagram? :cool:

I just figured it out… and that’s my mind blown. LOL :D

khansperac
09-26-2022, 08:00 PM
So um, I had to google what the hell you are talking about sansradio. I searched “sansradio anagram”, and the following link came up:

http://www.anagramgenius.com/archive/dianar.html

Amazing

All this time I thought it was sans radio- as In, without radio. Well you learn something new every day.

sansradio
09-26-2022, 10:49 PM
You all have made my night! :D

RanRan79
09-26-2022, 11:22 PM

You knew my dumbass couldn't figure that out. How dare you! Oh I'm going to have so much fun with your review. So. Much. Fun.:mad::p

Worst case scenario, you're kicked out of the fandom. Best case scenario, you're renamed Sensradio, which I'm sure our Marv probably always thought you should be called anyway.:cool:

sansradio
09-27-2022, 06:55 AM
You knew my dumbass couldn't figure that out. How dare you! Oh I'm going to have so much fun with your review. So. Much. Fun.:mad::p

Worst case scenario, you're kicked out of the fandom. Best case scenario, you're renamed Sensradio, which I'm sure our Marv probably always thought you should be called anyway.:cool:

BRING ITTT!!! :p

Oh, please. You are far from a dumbass. And dear Marv's head would have exploded had he known, rest his soul. ;)

ETA: I just caught the "sensradio" meaning. #ROTFLMAO;)

RanRan79
09-27-2022, 09:11 AM
BRING ITTT!!! :p

Oh, please. You are far from a dumbass. And dear Marv's head would have exploded had he known, rest his soul. ;)

ETA: I just caught the "sensradio" meaning. #ROTFLMAO;)

Tee hee hee!!:p

All jokes aside, I might give "Rainbow" a listen and see if I change my mind at all. I once thought Diana's vocal on "The Sound of Music" was horrible, but have since majorly amended my view on that, so who knows?

We're always threading around here about our favs and what we consider the best, so I was tempted to start a post about worst vocal performances of the ladies Supremes. However, I think that topic has a good chance of getting ugly, so I decided against it.:D

Boogiedown
09-27-2022, 02:04 PM
I find 'sansradio' a most clever approach for a name choice :cool:

I'm considering changing mine now to Mr Loinsway !!!

daviddh
09-27-2022, 04:18 PM
do we need another christmas cd? i rather have all new material

thanxal
09-27-2022, 04:46 PM
We can always use another Christmas CD.

I'd rather it be Diana rather than Cardi B. Could you imagine Cardi B's Christmas Album?

"Wet A** Santa" "Santa Baby ?>@!?@>? Me" "Your Nuts Roasting on an Open Fire".

RanRan79
09-27-2022, 06:55 PM

Yes David, you told us that already. And we told you yes, we do. Geez.:p

Guess what you're getting for Christmas?:cool:

thanxal
09-27-2022, 07:23 PM
Yes David, you told us that already. And we told you yes, we do. Geez.:p

Guess what you're getting for Christmas?:cool:
Oh, oh... I know, I know...
RanRan singing Cardi B's Christmas?!?!?!?!

after you
09-27-2022, 09:39 PM
A new Christmas album would be great she’s doing it for her grand children which makes sense , songs like Christmas tree song by Taylor Swift would be much welcomed

Ollie9
09-28-2022, 05:09 AM
A new Christmas album would be great she’s doing it for her grand children.

If that is fact, those grandkids are being far to overindulged It won’t help them a jot in later life.

1382hitsville
09-28-2022, 06:18 AM
Fun thread! And the anagram is a discovery! Thank you.

Not to spoil anyones dreams...but...We know Ms Ross signed a 2 record deal with Decca. What I have distilled from various threads, the second album, after "Thank You", could be the 1986 Harol Arlen album, but if "Thank You" sold enough, Decca was investing in new material.

We also know the London Royal Symphony Orchestra is putting out a Diana Ross album, she was intended to lay down new vocals during her UK tour, but cancelled it due to her throat infection. Hence the strained performances. They could use the original vocals.

How do we know for sure if this is a third [[or fourth, depending how you count), new Christmas album? Containing Christmas songs? Or just an album with new music released around december? I don't expect this year, its almost October and needs to be in the store within a month. Motown in its glory days could pull that off, but I don't believe that it is possible in todays world.

But, new Diana music in 2023 is very much welcome!

RanRan79
09-28-2022, 08:39 AM
Oh, oh... I know, I know...
RanRan singing Cardi B's Christmas?!?!?!?!

I'd rather sing Shantell Baker's Christmas. And I mean that.

thanxal
09-28-2022, 04:34 PM
I'd rather sing Shantell Baker's Christmas. And I mean that.
I would pay.

paul_nixon
09-28-2022, 08:44 PM

Not to spoil anyones dreams...but...We know Ms Ross signed a 2 record deal with Decca. What I have distilled from various threads, the second album, after "Thank You", could be the 1986 Harol Arlen album, but if "Thank You" sold enough, Decca was investing in new material.

We also know the London Royal Symphony Orchestra is putting out a Diana Ross album, she was intended to lay down new vocals during her UK tour, but cancelled it due to her throat infection. Hence the strained performances. They could use the original vocals.

How do we know for sure if this is a third [[or fourth, depending how you count), new Christmas album? Containing Christmas songs? Or just an album with new music released around december? I don't expect this year, its almost October and needs to be in the store within a month. Motown in its glory days could pull that off, but I don't believe that it is possible in todays world.

Sorry th burst your bubble but Decca knows nothing of any new product

Ollie9
09-29-2022, 05:14 AM

It would be so much better if they use original vocals. I don't see her voice at 78 adding anything to those classic originals.
What led you to the conclusion that the second album might be the much longed for Harold Arlen tribute album.....I’m intrigued. :confused:

JohnnyB
09-29-2022, 08:15 AM

So clever! I would never have guessed. That is awesome…

jim aka jtigre99
09-29-2022, 08:28 AM
Hopefully, we will have something new in the coming years. I applaud Miss Ross for recording now. I am not sure a Christmas album would be right, maybe standards or jazz would be welcomed at her age or simply new material tailored for her.

RanRan79
09-29-2022, 09:50 AM

Maniac specifically said Diana said Decca has asked for a Christmas album, so I don't think there's room to speculate on it being something else.

That being said, wouldn't the Harold Arlen album be released by RCA, since that's who she was with when she recorded it?

RanRan79
09-29-2022, 09:54 AM
When has a Christmas album ever not been the right move for a singer? It's one of the safest bets for sales, especially a singer of Diana's caliber and status. If Decca has spoken to Diana about possibly recording a Christmas album, they must see potential sales. And if Diana is speaking publicly about it, then she must be fairly interested. Apparently there's nothing else on the table.

sansradio
09-29-2022, 09:54 AM
That being said, wouldn't the Harold Arlen album be released by RCA, since that's who she was with when she recorded it?

Not if she owns the masters.

paul_nixon
09-29-2022, 10:22 AM
A new Christmas album would be great she’s doing it for her grand children which makes sense , songs like Christmas tree song by Taylor Swift would be much welcomed

Her current record lable, Decca tell me there are no plans for a festive CD and they are not involved in any collection of re-working old hits with new orchestration

thanxal
09-29-2022, 10:34 AM
Her current record lable, Decca tell me there are no plans for a festive CD and they are not involved in any collection of re-working old hits with new orchestration
Why would they confirm with you before any announcement, though... [keeping hope alive]:cool:

RanRan79
09-29-2022, 11:34 AM
Not if she owns the masters.

That makes sense.

kenneth
09-29-2022, 02:26 PM
How about "The Children's Christmas Song" with Rhonda and Tracee and Evan?

Oh no! Anything but that! For whatever reason, that song always sounds to me like she was recorded at gunpoint!

paul_nixon
09-30-2022, 04:55 AM
Why would they confirm with you before any announcement, though... [keeping hope alive]:cool:

Why would they not it was a journalists question for a Christmas issue article?

Ollie9
09-30-2022, 07:11 AM
She should release the poignant “Time To Call” as a Christmas single and actually promote it. Might rekindle some interest in the album.

thanxal
09-30-2022, 07:29 AM
Why would they not it was a journalists question for a Christmas issue article?
Wouldn’t doing so spoil any big, splashy announcement they might [hopefully] be working on?

RanRan79
09-30-2022, 10:47 AM
Wouldn’t doing so spoil any big, splashy announcement they might [hopefully] be working on?

Makes sense. Maniac said Diana claimed that Decca was interested in doing this. He did not say that anything was in the works. As Hitsville pointed out, it's nearly October. If Decca and Diana ultimately decide to do a Christmas album, surely it wouldn't be this year, so it would make sense that they wouldn't confirm or give a whiff that this is something they want this early, especially if Diana has not agreed yet, I would think.

thanxal
09-30-2022, 10:53 AM
Makes sense. Maniac said Diana claimed that Decca was interested in doing this. He did not say that anything was in the works. As Hitsville pointed out, it's nearly October. If Decca and Diana ultimately decide to do a Christmas album, surely it wouldn't be this year, so it would make sense that they wouldn't confirm or give a whiff that this is something they want this early, especially if Diana has not agreed yet, I would think.
In the old days, Christmas albums were recorded in May/June ish time frame. I would assume that although everything is now digital/streaming/quicker, that one would still not be able to start such a project in October. But they may have already recorded and/or dredged up and remastered old stuff for release this season. Or it might be next year. Or, and more likely, there is just confusion and nothing is coming.

paul_nixon
09-30-2022, 11:34 AM

No as most journos work on a three month lead time they would be talking NOW about a December issue and last month for a November issue

khansperac
09-30-2022, 11:39 AM
Are you suggesting you know more than Diana? Are you suggesting she is lying? These are the questions inquiring minds want to know.

Who said it was this Christmas?

Ollie9
09-30-2022, 12:07 PM
I think it 99% certain we are looking at 2023 if at all.

Boogiedown
09-30-2022, 12:37 PM
It’s one thing to sing new songs tailored to your current voice, it’s quite another to sing well known songs that are sung a certain way, even with auto tune set on the maximum setting .

Boogiedown
09-30-2022, 12:40 PM
Are you suggesting you know more than Diana? Are you suggesting she is lying? These are the questions inquiring minds want to know.

I recall Diana saying she was working on a new album and her kids were writing songs for it.
turned out to be one kid one song .

Ollie9
09-30-2022, 12:49 PM
I recall Diana saying she was working on a new album and her kids were writing songs for it.
turned out to be one kid one song .

Excellent point.

khansperac
09-30-2022, 01:20 PM
Surely your being facetious. Many songs are submitted for an album. Some are not considered. Some are recorded, but donÂ’t make it on the album. Just for CLARITY, if an album or songs are not released, are you saying that person is lying?

Boogiedown
09-30-2022, 01:22 PM
I’m saying her kids are apparently lousy songwriters :p

khansperac
09-30-2022, 01:31 PM
Ok. Sure, that’s what you were trying to say.

Ollie9
09-30-2022, 01:34 PM
I’m saying her kids are apparently lousy songwriters :p

LOL....Surely not. :eek:

paul_nixon
09-30-2022, 01:40 PM

No I think you are saying that Decca is lying I never mentioned Miss Ross all I did was point out the fact that the label she is currently signed to has said to a representative of the press that there is no festive CD from her to be released imminently - it's just a fact not a theory

Boogiedown
09-30-2022, 01:41 PM
Surely your being facetious. Many songs are submitted for an album. Some are not considered. Some are recorded, but donÂ’t make it on the album.

Well if your songs are rejected for use on your own moms homemade CD , as you are trying to say, what hope for them as songwriters is there ?

paul_nixon
09-30-2022, 01:42 PM
I think it 99% certain we are looking at 2023 if at all.

I think Ollie if it is on the cards at all that is the ealriest it will be - otherwise the press offcie at Decca are turning down features that would help sell a record - and despite people on here believing that they are not stupid

khansperac
09-30-2022, 01:58 PM
No one said anyone was stupid. Diana herself said they wanted to do a Christmas CD. Does she want to do one? Again, are you saying she is lying?

paul_nixon
09-30-2022, 01:59 PM
They may well like to do one but they are not doing one this year and nobody except yourself mentioned the word lying - I reported a simple statement from a record company

Boogiedown
09-30-2022, 02:44 PM
What is meant by a “Festive” CD? Some clever new woke term ?

Ollie9
09-30-2022, 03:17 PM
I think Ollie if it is on the cards at all that is the ealriest it will be - otherwise the press offcie at Decca are turning down features that would help sell a record - and despite people on here believing that they are not stupid

At this late stage that does seem the most likely scenario Paul. Many thanks on the info from the record label. Always welcome. :)

kenneth
09-30-2022, 03:49 PM
What is meant by a “Festive” CD? Some clever new woke term ?

Now that is actually incredibly funny, but could you please refrain and try not to stir things up even more in this thread? I feel like I’m watching an old Joan Crawford movie!

thanxal
09-30-2022, 04:02 PM
No as most journos work on a three month lead time they would be talking NOW about a December issue and last month for a November issue
Yeah, sounds to me like this year is certainly a no-go.

thanxal
09-30-2022, 04:13 PM
Now that is actually incredibly funny, but could you please refrain and try not to stir things up even more in this thread? I feel like I’m watching an old Joan Crawford movie!
....Don't F*** with me Fellas. This ain't my first time at the rodeo.....

kenneth
09-30-2022, 04:25 PM
....Don't F*** with me Fellas. This ain't my first time at the rodeo.....

Thank you! We needed to lighten the mood around here!

Boogiedown
09-30-2022, 04:26 PM
yes no more wire hangers EVER !

so .... what the heck is a "festive" CD ....:confused:

Boogiedown
10-01-2022, 01:04 AM
:cool:
2. adjective [ADJ n] Festive means relating to a holiday or celebration, especially Christmas.

I like it. Learned something!

Ollie9
10-01-2022, 05:23 AM
:cool:

I like it. Learned something!

Life is a learning curve for each and everyone one of us.
[[Ollie's words of wisdom)

Spreadinglove21
10-01-2022, 08:37 AM
Life is a learning curve for each and everyone one of us.
[[Ollie's words of wisdom)

Sounds like a lyric Rhonda Ross might write for her mom's next album. If it appears, hope you get a songwriting credit on Thank You Again.

florence
10-01-2022, 09:32 AM
Maybe they've given Diana a 2 album contract but otherwise I can't see Decca being enthusiastic about a new album for her.

I thought in the circumstances Thank You was a pretty solid album with several very good tracks on it but let's be honest - even in these days of lower sales it was pretty much a disaster in this department.

Ollie9
10-02-2022, 04:24 AM
Maybe they've given Diana a 2 album contract but otherwise I can't see Decca being enthusiastic about a new album for her.

I thought in the circumstances Thank You was a pretty solid album with several very good tracks on it but let's be honest - even in these days of lower sales it was pretty much a disaster in this department.

Lack of any tv promotion didn't help. I guess Diana was just playing safe.
A duets album involving current artists would be a far more commercial proposition as opposed to yet another Christmas set that not many would buy.

paul_nixon
10-02-2022, 05:37 AM
Lack of any tv promotion didn't help. I guess Diana was just playing safe.
A duets album involving current artists would be a far more commercial proposition as opposed to yet another Christmas set that not many would buy.

The duets project is a good idea - you know - nobody knows the deal she has with Decca - sometimes the label who work a great deal with what the UK calls 'heritage artists' will only sign for a one album deal to see how it goes so she could be free to go anywhere she likes with a project -her contact may also allow her to do other projects like the Hallmark CD she did - so we just don't know what's in the offing. If she has said she is doing one maybe it's with another label.

daviddh
10-02-2022, 10:42 AM
i think a duets cd would also be good
artists like lionel richie,smokey and others
but to clarify. i did see a video on FB where diana was in her Q@A part of her show
someone asked a question and she responded Decca called and asked for another album

vgalindo
10-02-2022, 03:49 PM
She did not say a Christmas album. I saw a clip and she said Decca wanted a new album preferably by Christmas. But I really can’t see that happening in such a short period of time.

Spreadinglove21
10-02-2022, 04:21 PM
She did not say a Christmas album. I saw a clip and she said Decca wanted a new album preferably by Christmas. But I really can’t see that happening in such a short period of time.

Unless she hands over the Harold Arlen album over to Decca. Or a Symphonica album with her original vocals meets the demand unless she goes into the studio now that tour/residency is over to lay down vocals for the Symphonica album.

Boogiedown
10-02-2022, 04:29 PM
Solution:

“LIVE! …FROM THE UK! …”

vgalindo
10-02-2022, 05:26 PM
Unless she hands over the Harold Arlen album over to Decca. Or a Symphonica album with her original vocals meets the demand unless she goes into the studio now that tour/residency is over to lay down vocals for the Symphonica album.
That would be wonderful! Anything would be fine with me.

daviddh
10-02-2022, 07:14 PM
i think she owns the rights to her RCA masters, would be nice if

PeaceNHarmony
10-03-2022, 08:48 AM
That would be wonderful! Anything would be fine with me.I'm with you; any of the options will be welcome.

Ollie9
10-03-2022, 03:35 PM
Some of the very best albums of all time were recorded in under a week. I guess it depends on Diana’s dedication to her fans in wanting them to have a little something special for under the Christmas. tree this year.

RanRan79
10-03-2022, 03:40 PM
Some of the very best albums of all time were recorded in under a week. I guess it depends on Diana’s dedication to her fans in wanting them to have a little something special for under the Christmas. tree this year.

Were any of those albums by Diana Ross? No? I didn't think so. If you get a Diana Ross album of any sort by Christmas that hasn't been recorded by now, it's a safe bet it won't be on anyone's best albums of all time list.:p

Ollie9
10-03-2022, 05:16 PM
Were any of those albums by Diana Ross? No? I didn't think so. If you get a Diana Ross album of any sort by Christmas that hasn't been recorded by now, it's a safe bet it won't be on anyone's best albums of all time list.:p

It would be interesting to know the fastest time Diana has ever recorded an album. I’m guessing “Funny Girl”, where her vocals are indeed excellent.
Fine tuning can be taken a little to far on occasion. A few rough edges can end up rather appealing.

reese
10-03-2022, 05:57 PM
It would be interesting to know the fastest time Diana has ever recorded an album. I’m guessing “Funny Girl”, where her vocals are indeed excellent.
Fine tuning can be taken a little to far on occasion. A few rough edges can end up rather appealing.

The vocals on A VERY SPECIAL SEASON were done in four days, according to its producer Nick Martinelli.

RanRan79
10-03-2022, 11:54 PM

When Diana was a Supreme, she had some of the best production artists almost at her disposal. She also was not the driving creative force behind her work during that time. She is much more involved in what she records now. I have no doubt that she could show up and sing a number of songs in a few day's time. But would that mean getting production values like what we received on I Love You? Thank You isn't a bad album at all, but word on the street is that she recorded vocals over the phone. And sometimes it sounds like it, IMO. If she had a home studio and was a creative genius like a Stevie Wonder, I could see her knocking out a good quality album in such a short period of time. She is not, however, the kind of genius that Stevie is. Diana's talent has always been singing, while the other areas of music isn't exactly the gift God gave her. Lol I fear that if she did attempt to knock an album out at this point to be ready for the holiday season it would be written and produced by Rhonda and Evan, and I can't imagine any Diana Ross fan desiring that.:cool:

RanRan79
10-03-2022, 11:58 PM
A VERY SPECIAL SEASON was done in four days, according to its producer Nick Martinelli.

Was that from conception to completion? I doubt it. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised that she recorded her vocals in such a short time. The lady is brilliant at song interpretation and with most, if not all, of those songs already being familiar to her, it all probably came to her so easily. But at this point- within the last two weeks- she has only mentioned interests by the record label. That means details haven't been ironed out. No song selection. No producers. Is this a new contract, or is this part of the Thank You deal? I just can't see anything recorded at this point being ready by the end of the month.

reese
10-04-2022, 12:38 AM
Was that from conception to completion? I doubt it. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised that she recorded her vocals in such a short time. The lady is brilliant at song interpretation and with most, if not all, of those songs already being familiar to her, it all probably came to her so easily. But at this point- within the last two weeks- she has only mentioned interests by the record label. That means details haven't been ironed out. No song selection. No producers. Is this a new contract, or is this part of the Thank You deal? I just can't see anything recorded at this point being ready by the end of the month.

I was only referring to the vocals, as Ollie mentioned her FUNNY GIRL vocals were done quickly. I believe J. Randy wrote those vocals were done in two days.

Re the entire A VERY SPECIAL SEASON project, Nick said Diana contacted him around the middle of September 1994 and said she wanted to do an Xmas album and it had to be completed by mid-October. A week later, Nick committed to the project, which was completed by October 1st. But there obviously were talks with Diana and EMI about the project before Nick signed on, as he mentioned from inception to completion was about six weeks.

Note: he also mentioned that there was going to be a duet with Boyz II Men that didn't get done.

RanRan79
10-04-2022, 11:05 AM
I was only referring to the vocals, as Ollie mentioned her FUNNY GIRL vocals were done quickly. I believe J. Randy wrote those vocals were done in two days.

Re the entire A VERY SPECIAL SEASON project, Nick said Diana contacted him around the middle of September 1994 and said she wanted to do an Xmas album and it had to be completed by mid-October. A week later, Nick committed to the project, which was completed by October 1st. But there obviously were talks with Diana and EMI about the project before Nick signed on, as he mentioned from inception to completion was about six weeks.

Note: he also mentioned that there was going to be a duet with Boyz II Men that didn't get done.

Yeah, I can believe she cut her vocals in a short period of time.

Interesting info on AVSS and the Boyz II Men duet. Sucks it didn't happen. Wonder what song it would have been.

I do know what I want for Christmas: Reese's Supremes bible. Just compile everything Supremes that's rolling around your head, put it to paper, publish, and you have a winner. Just make sure you mention me in the "thank you" section, and please, PLEASE, make sure you get Tony Tall Tales Turner to do the foreword.:cool:

reese
10-04-2022, 11:33 AM
Yeah, I can believe she cut her vocals in a short period of time.

Interesting info on AVSS and the Boyz II Men duet. Sucks it didn't happen. Wonder what song it would have been.

I do know what I want for Christmas: Reese's Supremes bible. Just compile everything Supremes that's rolling around your head, put it to paper, publish, and you have a winner. Just make sure you mention me in the "thank you" section, and please, PLEASE, make sure you get Tony Tall Tales Turner to do the foreword.:cool:

Ha Ha! My head sometimes spins with all of this information. I keep trying to remember where I read it. :D

A foreword from Tony Turner? My goodness. The book would be bound to hit the NY Times Best-Seller list.

All of my info re Diana's Xmas album came from an interview with Nick for Diana's REACH OUT fan club newsletter, the last issue to be exact. Re the Boys II Men duet, it was an original co-written by Frankie Knuckles. But the guys had to decline due to some other duet [s] they were doing around the same time.

khansperac
10-04-2022, 11:50 AM
The holiday classic “Let it snow” by Boyz II Men and Brian McKnight?

daviddh
10-04-2022, 05:22 PM
i was under the impression that that the Symphony album was originally planned as a December release ,....but Diana suffered a throat infection and was unable to record.
plan B , use her original vocals but,... Diana planned on returning to record new vocals pushing the album back to 2023.
perhaps if, she turned over the masters from the other ,perhaps we may get an early 2023 release,otherwise,probably dec 23

Ollie9
10-05-2022, 06:28 AM
When Diana was a Supreme, she had some of the best production artists almost at her disposal. She also was not the driving creative force behind her work during that time. She is much more involved in what she records now. I have no doubt that she could show up and sing a number of songs in a few day's time. But would that mean getting production values like what we received on I Love You? Thank You isn't a bad album at all, but word on the street is that she recorded vocals over the phone. And sometimes it sounds like it, IMO. If she had a home studio and was a creative genius like a Stevie Wonder, I could see her knocking out a good quality album in such a short period of time. She is not, however, the kind of genius that Stevie is. Diana's talent has always been singing, while the other areas of music isn't exactly the gift God gave her. Lol I fear that if she did attempt to knock an album out at this point to be ready for the holiday season it would be written and produced by Rhonda and Evan, and I can't imagine any Diana Ross fan desiring that.:cool:

Not a creative genius like Stevie Wonder!!!. “Girls” to name one was written and produced by Diana i’ll have you know..
I think a straightforward jazz album with less technical wizardry required might possibly be recorded in a short period of time. Just Diana at the mic with a glass of something pleasant.
Other then it was recorded at her home studio, i haven’t heard anything regarding phone in vocal performances on the “Thank You” album. Do you consider them rather lacking?.
Considering the long wait, and allowing for predictable comments from the M’s Ross is perfect brigade there was not an incredible amount of discussion regarding the project as a whole.

daviddh
10-12-2022, 11:14 AM
Just got an update.
No new Christmas album but..
A new studio set planned for next year.
More tour dates planned...
Symphony album on hold.most likely will use original vocals

thanxal
10-12-2022, 12:12 PM
Just got an update.
Just curious as to your source...

Ollie9
10-12-2022, 03:05 PM
I’m guessing the wonderful Wizard Of Oz himself......Mr Blue.
Its a Shame about the Symphony album, as with a little tv promotion it would most likely have done really well.

daviddh
10-12-2022, 05:49 PM
Of course, Mr Blue.
He met up with Diana in vegas

Ollie9
10-25-2022, 07:06 AM
Just got an update.

It will be interesting to see just what kind of album is planned. I would love a duet’s or dance album with a strong producer.
The symphony project using original vocals holds massive sales potential. Would be great to see Diana topping those album charts again.

thanxal
10-25-2022, 07:41 AM
Of course, Mr Blue.
He met up with Diana in vegas
Thanks! Great to know.