PDA

View Full Version : Recorded-Live on Stage Marvin Gaye

test

RossHolloway
06-06-2011, 10:06 AM
I never knew this album ever made it onto CD format. Was this ever released on CD in the US or just overseas?

http://www.amazon.com/Recorded-Live-Stage-Marvin-Gaye/dp/B001PBQLTC/ref=pd_sim_m_5

aarondillon2011@gmail.com
06-06-2011, 11:57 AM
Just overseas I'm afraid. But I am sure that it will get a hipo treatment as some point :-)

reese
06-06-2011, 12:02 PM
It was released in the US on a bootleg cd issued by Motorcity Records. The cd was called CAPTURED LIVE! and it had the RECORDED LIVE ON STAGE albums by Marvin and the Miracles. Filling out the cd was material from the Motortown Revue albums.

The same label also released a cd combining the live albums from the Marvelettes and Mary Wells.

kenneth
06-06-2011, 12:09 PM
Reese, wasn't it Marginal Records, the same outfit who did the Eddie Holland Anthology? That one had pretty decent sound overall [[though uneven).

It'd be great to have Hip-O redo these early individual Live LPs, as they did the Motortown Revue LPs.

Keep in mind if anyone's thinking of buying the expensive import...these LPs were each maybe 25 minutes long at most...7 or 8 tracks only. They're fun though if only because they're pretty raw in their delivery and a real document to the early live shows. The Mary Wells one is unintentionally funny in a few spots, because when The Love Tones are singing their Mary Wells Introduction, the audience is screaming "We want Mary Wells!" to try and get the Love Tones to hurry up and get off the stage! It's hilarious.

reese
06-06-2011, 12:47 PM
Marginal might have issued one as well. But the one I have is on Motorcity Records, copyright 1987.

RossHolloway
06-06-2011, 01:39 PM
Besides Marvin, Mary, The Miracles and the Marvelettes, were there any other artist that did a Live album, but maybe not released? Is the Little Stevie Wonder Live album part of this set too?

kenneth
06-07-2011, 09:31 AM
RossHolloway,

There are the early Four Tops, Temptations and Vandellas live sets, from a couple years later. There are also the 2 live releases of Jr. Walker, one early and one several years later during his "What Does it Take" time period. All things being told, I believe the Temptations had the most live albums released of any Motown artist during that time frame. They had "Live," "Temptations Show," "At the Talk of the Town," and I may be forgetting 1 or 2 others.

From all I've read about Motown, Berry Gordy apparently recorded his singers live quite often. This was probably fairly easy to do when they appeared regularly in their own backyard, such as at the Roostertail. I think that's where the Tammi Terrell set was recorded, which came out on her Solo Recordings from Hip-O recently. I imagine there are a lot of live recordings in the vault! The Stevie Wonder, because of its different cover design, doesn't usually seem to be considered part of the series you're referring to, but it certainly came out about the same time and in all other aspects was similar to the others, which I think were recorded at the early Motortown Revues. Unfortunately, I don't think it's included on any of the [[admittedly bootleg) releases I've seen advertised.

reese
06-07-2011, 12:04 PM
I think Stevie's first live album THE 12-YEAR OLD GENIUS RECORDED LIVE was issued on cd in the 90s, when Motown started putting out their classic albums as single cds, as opposed to the 2-on-1s that they had done earlier.

As Kenneth wrote, even though Stevie's album wasn't part of the ON STAGE series, it came out around the same time as the others. A discography I have has it being released in June of 63, as were the albums by the Miracles and the Marvelettes. The same discography lists the Marvin Gaye and Mary Wells albums being released in September, although my Mary Wells album actually has a 1964 copyright date.

I would suspect that Stevie's album was released because the FINGERTIPS single was hitting, and Motown decided to put out a live album. As it was, Stevie's was the most successful of the batch, hitting #1 on the pop albums chart.

1382hitsville
06-07-2011, 04:54 PM
I remember holding the Martha & the Vandellas Live album in my hands somewhere. It had the same design as the Temptations Live LP. The Temptations where released on CD. Martha & the Vandellas still not, or did I miss that one?

pj1
06-07-2011, 05:06 PM
No, The Martha Reeves & the Vandellas sets [[mono and stereo were from different performances) have not seen official cd release.

midnightman
06-07-2011, 06:48 PM
I love Marvin's first live album. It's so d**n raw!

RossHolloway
06-07-2011, 10:16 PM
I remember holding the Martha & the Vandellas Live album in my hands somewhere. It had the same design as the Temptations Live LP. The Temptations where released on CD. Martha & the Vandellas still not, or did I miss that one?

The Four Tops had a Live album release during this time frame as well and it was on cd once upon a time. Does anyone know if these were the live concerts from the Motown Mondays series?

1382hitsville
06-08-2011, 02:47 PM
I have the Four Tops CD. There is no release date on the CD, the only date given is 1966. I remember reading in the liner notes of the Four Tops box set that they re-recorded Levi's vocals for this LP.

I guess it must have been a Motown Monday, because on the stage of the Roostertail the Supremes join in.

RossHolloway
06-08-2011, 02:55 PM
I have the Four Tops CD. There is no release date on the CD, the only date given is 1966. I remember reading in the liner notes of the Four Tops box set that they re-recorded Levi's vocals for this LP.

I guess it must have been a Motown Monday, because on the stage of the Roostertail the Supremes join in.

And didn't the Supremes record a live concert at the Roosetertail too during the summer of '66?

reese
06-08-2011, 03:26 PM
I think one Supremes' album was recorded during their January 1966 engagement. But I believe they also did some recording there during that summer around the time of YOU CAN'T HURRY LOVE.

RossHolloway
06-08-2011, 03:47 PM
I think one Supremes' album was recorded during their January 1966 engagement. But I believe they also did some recording there during that summer around the time of YOU CAN'T HURRY LOVE.

Interesting. I wonder if their set list changed much during these two concerts. And wasn't the track You Can't Hurry Love released on the bonus live cd from their box set? I wonder who their opening act was for their Motown Monday concert.

reese
06-08-2011, 04:59 PM
In the archives, there is a post that lists the songs that made up the unreleased album recorded during the January 1966 engagement. I can't remember them all off hand. But I know that there are no repeats from the Copa album of the previous year. Some of the songs include: TONIGHT, YESTERDAY, I HEAR A SYMPHONY, WHERE DID OUR LOVE GO, NOTHING BUT HEARTACHES, and ENJOY YOURSELF. In the recent Taraborrelli bio on Diana, it was noted that the last three songs were actually recorded at the Copa the year before, but were deleted from its release.

Come to think of it, the album might have been recorded a bit later than January, as they also perform the SYMPHONY medley on it, as well as other songs from that album. But I don't remember YOU CAN'T HURRY LOVE being included.

I believe the YOU CAN'T HURRY LOVE featured on the boxed set live cd is indeed from the Roostertail.

762rob
06-08-2011, 08:03 PM
["Recorded-Live on Stage Marvin Gaye
I never knew this album ever made it onto CD format. Was this ever released on CD in the US or just overseas?

http://www.amazon.com/Recorded-Live-...ref=pd_sim_m_5 [/B]

This is a Japanese cardboard replica CD, and beautifully done. It is also SBM and it sounds terrific. It is very short timewise, but is an original replica of the 1963 Lp on Tamla, and definitely worth picking up. In time it will become quite rare. A number of the ones in this Marvin Gaye series are already sold out.