PDA

View Full Version : Supremes "B" sides was a missed opportunity.

test

woodward
08-26-2022, 01:04 PM
In conjunction with RanRan79's thread Supremes "B" Sides on the Radio, I would like to share an experience I had involving these.

Way back when, I don't recall when, I saw on a website I-OFFER the availability of a unique CD entitled "The B-Sides - Diana Ross & the Supremes 1961-1969. At the time I thought it was a little known Motown release. So I bought it for something like $15. It includes the "B" sides of the two Tamla releases and the balance of the Motown releases through 1/70.

When I received it, the insert of the jewel case had a crudely made front cover and another crudely made rear cover that listed all the songs: 16 on the first CD and 15 on the second. They were all in release order with one exception, Time Changes Things was 60% into the second CD. I don't know why it was created that way. The two CDs from a quick glance appear to be legitimate, although the color in MOTOWN is not what it should be. It is designated Motown MOTD-4620-1. 2004 Motown Record Corporation.

I played the first CD and a little over half way the CD hit a snag: it stuck. The second CD played as it should.

At any rate, when it finally dawned on me that this was illegitimate, I wrote to someone at Motown and complained hopefully that they would crack down on the person bootlegging these. Never heard a peep.

It taught me a lesson, however, the idea of a CD as such was something I would have cherished. I am at a loss to understand why Motown never put out officially a CD like this.

I don't suspect this has any involvement with the German bootlegger that Motown cracked down on. Although I never got any of his, his appeared from what I could see to be nearly as good as an authorized Motown release. I-OFFER began operation on 5/1/2002 and terminated operations in 12/2019.

Guess I have learned a lesson to be more careful. This is only one of five illegitimate Motown CDs I have in my collection, the other four were CD-Rs of things generally unavailable.

Has anyone else ever encountered and purchased the "B" Sides release, if so I hope they got a better quality CD than I did.

I do think that a CD like this would have sold a sufficient number for Motown to manufacture.

sup_fan
08-26-2022, 02:38 PM
i literally just did a similar playlist. I love playing "producer" and so i had recently gone through and made my own playlists for all of the lps from A Go Go through Cream of the Crop, even including a separate Some Things lp. i kept with the timelines of album releases and what tracks would have been available at the time.

but that they prompted me to do a playlist of just album tracks. no A sides. as it turns out, many of the B sides made it onto that lists. but there are a few tunes that i love that never made it off the albums. Long Gone Lover is one.