PDA

View Full Version : Cindy - The Best

test

mysterysinger
08-24-2022, 06:26 PM
So which is the best Cindy. The Temptations, Bobby Taylor or Bobby Darin with Smokey? I'm going for Bobby Darin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkq5pb4o5p4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyQYpUm7Idg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLBE74Sjs0I

WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance
08-24-2022, 06:59 PM
The Temptations

arr&bee
08-24-2022, 07:18 PM
Nobody can sing[cindy] like the mighty temps, david at his best, should've been a single!!

Philles/Motown Gary
08-25-2022, 05:30 AM
Sorry for the duplicate.

Philles/Motown Gary
08-25-2022, 05:34 AM
All three versions have their moments. Bobby Taylor's even features The Andantes, which is a big plus for me. Yet, still, my favorite rendition remains The Temptations'. It's the version I heard and loved first, and it's my favorite track from the 1968 "Wish It Would Rain" album.

I agree with arr&bee. "Cindy" should have been released as a single.

lockhartgary
08-25-2022, 10:38 AM
The Tempts version is burned so strongly is my brain that no other version can remove it. That's not to say the other versions are bad by any stretch, but the Tempts knock it out of the park.

thommg
08-25-2022, 10:50 AM
I don't remember hearing the Temptations version, but David sounds a little too rough for me on that track. I prefer Darin & Robinson's smooth approach to the song.

lucky2012
08-25-2022, 12:34 PM
I don't remember hearing the Temptations version, but David sounds a little too rough for me on that track. I prefer Darin & Robinson's smooth approach to the song.
Agreed! On both counts.

lockhartgary
08-25-2022, 01:26 PM
So you're saying that David is Ruffin it?

thommg
08-25-2022, 04:02 PM
lockhartgary, this site need a laugh emoji!

arr&bee
08-25-2022, 06:10 PM
so you're saying that david is ruffin it?hehehehehehhhehehhehe!!!

danman869
08-25-2022, 08:08 PM
Back in the '90s when I first heard The Temptations sing "Cindy," I couldn't help but wonder if the title was inspired by Miss Birdsong. Granted, I later learned the recording by The Tempts pre-dated Cynthia Ann's official arrival at Motown, but... I still wondered at that time considering the album came out in 1968.

OK, so for the question:

The BEST version?

1. The Temptations
2. Bobby Taylor [[a very close second!)
3. Bobby Darin with Smokey.

johnjeb
08-25-2022, 11:41 PM
I've always loved The Temptations version. I know I have the other two versions but don't recall them at all.

So, I had a couple of drinks with dinner the other evening. I barely read the info in this thread and started to listen. I was listening on my phone and I had a little buzz. I was amazed at how much Bobby Darin sounded like Smokey on a couple of verses!!! Next time I'll limit my alcohol intake to one drink and read the posts a bit more closely - or maybe not.

SatansBlues
08-25-2022, 11:49 PM
1. Temptations
2. Bobby Darin w/ Smokey
3. Bobby Taylor

snakepit
08-26-2022, 02:47 AM
I've always loved The Temptations version. I know I have the other two versions but don't recall them at all.

So, I had a couple of drinks with dinner the other evening. I barely read the info in this thread and started to listen. I was listening on my phone and I had a little buzz. I was amazed at how much Bobby Darin sounded like Smokey on a couple of verses!!! Next time I'll limit my alcohol intake to one drink and read the posts a bit more closely - or maybe not.
You realize that Bobby Darin's version is a duet with Smokey Robinson??

johnjeb
08-26-2022, 08:27 AM
You realize that Bobby Darin's version is a duet with Smokey Robinson??

Um, yes, lol. But only after I read the posts more thoroughly and I was more clearheaded after my 2-drink binge. Thankfully I didn’t have a third drink or I might have thought Bobby Darin sounded like Diana.

snakepit
08-26-2022, 12:46 PM
Lol
Have a drink on me

MIKEW-UK
08-26-2022, 04:11 PM
I was truly dumbfounded The Temps and Dzvid every time. And yet, taking the time to truly listen to Bobby Darin, that is serious rendition

robb_k
08-27-2022, 12:47 AM
I like Bobby Taylor's lead vocal a little better than David's, but I like The Temptations' background vocals better than The Andantes and whoever else was on Taylor's cut. But, I like the musical arrangement a little better on Taylor's. But, I like the guitar on Darin's version best. So, overall, Bobby's beats out The Temptations' by a small margin.

I have another Motown-related "Cindy" by Cornelius Grant and The Blenders, from 1962.

Ed H
08-30-2022, 03:22 AM
I found this hard, never having listened to any of them before. Started with the Temps. Apart from David's voice, it just sounded like a generic Motown song as if a bit of a rushed production. The Bobby Taylor version had a better production overall but still a generic more 70s motown sound. In the Darin/Smokey version, I felt the song was performed more as it was intended when written and you got to hear the tune and words better + the simple guitar accompaniment had a nice feel. Overall though, I didn't like any of them.