PDA

View Full Version : Missing Greatest Hits albums

test

sup_fan
08-14-2022, 05:13 PM
For the 60s and DR early hits we got excellent GH sets in the States. But that’s really it

So if you had to do 10-12 tracks, what would you do as GHs for the Jean years, the Scherrie years, the RCA years or DR Motown II?

What alt versions would you select or unreleased tracks? Single versions versus album versions? A live track or two?

khansperac
08-14-2022, 06:12 PM
Sort of off topic- but on topic [[if that makes sense). Just the other day I came across an article that said “Greatest Hits” albums are a casualty of the streaming era. No need to buy them. People pretty much make their own greatest hit compilations by just streaming or downloading songs they like. Some don’t even buy whole albums anymore. Just a few select songs they like.

marybrewster
08-14-2022, 06:52 PM
It's always been curious to me that when AT THEIR BEST was released in the UK it had 14 tracks, but by the time it was released in the US it dropped to 10.

JohnnyB
08-14-2022, 07:02 PM
For the seventies Supremes greatest hits collection, IÂ’d focus on those songs the average fan would be most familiar with and those likely to generate interest from the public at large.

The Seventies Supremes: [[lp version on all songs)
Up The Ladder
EverybodyÂ’s Got The Right
Stoned Love
River Deep, Mountain High
Nathan Jones
Floy Joy

Automatically Sunshine
Your Wonderful Sweet, Sweet Love
Bad Weather
I Guess IÂ’ll Miss The Man
HeÂ’s My Man
IÂ’m Gonna Let My Heart

The RCA Years CD I wish had been released would have covered her US pop and R&B hits as well as UK hits. Limiting the set to 12 tracks:

The RCA Years:
Why Do Fools
Chain Reaction [[lp version)
All Of You
Missing You [[lp version)
Swept Away [[lp version)
Pieces Of Ice [[lp version)
Mirror, Mirror [[lp version)
So Close [[single version)
Telephone [[lp version)
Muscles [[extended version)
Eaten Alive [[extended version)
Work That Body [[lp version)

However, the collection I wish had been released would have included six additional tracks to complete the collection:

Touch By Touch
Dirty Looks
LetÂ’s Go Up
Summertime
Experience
Its Hard For Me To Say

Thornton
08-14-2022, 08:08 PM
Side A:
1. Up The Ladder To The Roof [mono mix]
2. Stoned Love [album version]
3. River Deep-Mountain High
4. Nathan Jones
5. Floy Joy [70's anthology version]
6. Bad Weather [greatest hits and rare classics version]
Side B:
7. He's My Man [extended version]
8. Bend A Little
9. I'm Gonna Let My Heart Do The Walking [original Terrana mix]
10. Don't Let My Teardrops Bother You [original Terrana mix]
11. You're What's Missing In My Life [original Terrana mix]
12. Let Yourself Go

daviddh
08-14-2022, 08:18 PM
Supremes At Their Best vol 1
up the ladder to the roof
life beats
bad weather
everybodys got the right to love
touch [[new version)
your wonderful sweet love dance mix
floy joy
stoned love
nathan jones
automatically sunshine
when can brown begin
river deep mountain high
love train
soft days

daviddh
08-14-2022, 08:20 PM
Supremes at their best 2
hes my man
color my world blue
bend a little
we should love again
high energy
your whats missing original Terrna mix
Gonna let my heart
let your self go
sweet dream machine
you are the heart of me

daviddh
08-14-2022, 08:24 PM
DR RCA
why do fools fall
mirror
muscles
who
thats how you start over
missing you
swept away
hard for me to say
all of you
chain reaction
crimes of passion
i'm watching you
summertime
dirty looks
you do it
love lies

bradsupremes
08-15-2022, 12:07 AM
In the early 70s, Motown planned greatest hits collections for the Jean Supremes and, I believe, Diana entitled Gold, but they got shelved.

jack020
08-15-2022, 04:05 AM
In Japan they released loads of these compilations :)

florence
08-15-2022, 07:07 AM
The UK is awash with Diana Ross Greatest Hits Albums - every one goes Gold or Platinum.

Inexplicable because they're mostly the same tracks placed in a different order!

The biggest seller is 1993's One Woman The Ultimate Collection which is 4 times Platinum.

Since then there has been:

1996 Voice Of Love - Gold
2007 Love & Life - The Very Best Of - Platinum
2011 The Greatest Gold

But just look at 1979 -1984

1979 20 Golden Greats - Platinum
1981 All The Greatest Hits - Platinum
1982 Love Songs - Platinum
1982 Love Songs - Diana & Michael Jackson - Platinum
1984 Portrait - Gold

Plus she had a Diana's Duets Album in 1982.

And in 1976 there was Greatest Hits 2 which sold over 400k but no certifications were claimed.

For Greatest Hits Albums I would simply choose the tracks which were the biggest.

sup_fan
08-15-2022, 09:50 AM
The UK is awash with Diana Ross Greatest Hits Albums - every one goes Gold or Platinum.

Inexplicable because they're mostly the same tracks placed in a different order!

The biggest seller is 1993's One Woman The Ultimate Collection which is 4 times Platinum.

Since then there has been:

1996 Voice Of Love - Gold
2007 Love & Life - The Very Best Of - Platinum
2011 The Greatest Gold

But just look at 1979 -1984

1979 20 Golden Greats - Platinum
1981 All The Greatest Hits - Platinum
1982 Love Songs - Platinum
1982 Love Songs - Diana & Michael Jackson - Platinum
1984 Portrait - Gold

Plus she had a Diana's Duets Album in 1982.

And in 1976 there was Greatest Hits 2 which sold over 400k but no certifications were claimed.

For Greatest Hits Albums I would simply choose the tracks which were the biggest.

yes and you guys got an earlier 70s GH set from Diana too.

with this thread though, i was thinking less about later compilations and more like a current GH. so in early 73 maybe doing a Jean-years set. in 88 doing an RCA set, etc.

and in the US too ;) cuz international DID get a jean-years GH! lol it's not fair lol

sup_fan
08-15-2022, 09:55 AM
here's an idea for a Motown Part II Greatest Hits for Diana

If we hold on
Bottom Line
This House
when you tell me
Heart don't change my mind
good morning heartache [[from Stolen Moments)
your love
your gonna love it [[steve hurley remix)
take me higher
if you're not gonna love me right
i thought we were still in love
until we meet again [[hex hector remix)
sugarfree
Carry on

johnjeb
08-15-2022, 10:41 AM
Through the years I've compiled GH compilations for myself. These are my picks from a couple of years ago. I might tweak a few at some point.

Supremes Greatest Hits Volume 5 ‘70-’73
Side 1
Together We Can Make Such Sweet Music
Stoned Love
Life Beats
Nathan Jones
Floy Joy
Bad Weather

Side 2
Up The Ladder To The Roof
Bill, When Are You Coming Back
River Deep, Mountain High
You Gotta Have Love In Your Heart
Automatically Sunshine
Touch

Supremes Greatest Hits Volume 6 ‘74-’76
Side 1
High Energy
I’m Gonna Let My Heart Do The Walking
Let Yourself Go
Don’t Wanna Be Tied Down
You’re My Driving Wheel
You Are The Heart Of Me

Side 2
He’s My Man
Where Do I Go From Here
Color My World Blue
You’re What’s Missing In My Life
Give Out, But Don't Give Up
Don't let My Teardrops Bother You

I always felt that there should have been a collection that focused on their first 6 singles, none of which were included on their GH collections from 1967 or 1969.

Supremes Greatest Hits Volume 4 ‘61-’63
Side 1
Your Heart Belongs To Me
A Breathtaking Guy
Time Changes Things
Let Me Go The Right Way
He Means The World To Me
You Bring Back Memories

Side 2
I Want A Guy
Who’s Lovin’ You
Buttered Popcorn
[The Man With The] Rock & Roll Banjo Band
My Heart Can’t Take It No More
I’m Giving You Your Freedom [Alternate Mix] - {Thanks, RanRan, for pointing out this alternate mix in one of your posts from a while ago. I love it.}

I also felt the 1969 Volume 3 should have excluded the 2 songs that were already on the 1967 GH and included the duets with The Temptations.

Supremes Greatest Hits Volume 3 ‘67-’69
Side 1
Someday We’ll Be Together
Reflections
Love Child
I’m Gonna Make You Love Me
In And Out Of Love
I’m Livin’ In Shame

Side 2
Forever Came Today
Some Things You Never Get Used To
I’ll Try Something New
The Composer
No Matter What Sign You Are
The Young Folks

RanRan79
08-15-2022, 09:49 PM
In the early 70s, Motown planned greatest hits collections for the Jean Supremes and, I believe, Diana entitled Gold, but they got shelved.

Wasn't there also a planned GH set preceding the 1967 set, titled Pure Gold, or just Gold? Can't remember which.

bradsupremes
08-15-2022, 11:21 PM
Wasn't there also a planned GH set preceding the 1967 set, titled Pure Gold, or just Gold? Can't remember which.

Yes, Pure Gold was planned for a summer release in 1966. Motown assigned it catalog number MS-648 but shelved it and released A' Go-Go.

BayouMotownMan
08-16-2022, 09:43 AM
My 12 70s GH set would be

1. Ladder
2. Right To Love
3. Stoned Love
4. Nathan Jones
5. Floy Joy
6. Automatically Sunshine
7. River Deep
8. Bad Weather
9. He's My Man
10. Let my Heart
11. You're What's Missing
12. Driving Wheel

Whenever I think of Greatest Hits, I think of songs that were indeed hits either by single release or FM play album cuts. These would fall into the biggest of those.

Jaap
08-16-2022, 10:31 AM
The Dutch record company Disky released a licensed Diana Ross compilation in 1999, called Chain Reaction, which I still find a weird collection of songs:

01 Chain Reaction
02 I Am Me
03 No Matter What You Do
04 Swing It
05 Blame It On The Sun
06 Don't Give Up On Each Other
07 [[I Love) Being In Love With You
08 Think I'm In Love
09 I'm Watching You
10 Sweet Surrender
11 One Shining Moment
12 Sweet Nothings
13 I Will Survive
14 Fool For Your Love

https://www.discogs.com/release/3514729-Diana-Ross-Chain-Reaction

sansradio
08-16-2022, 11:36 AM
The Dutch record company Disky released a licensed Diana Ross compilation in 1999, called Chain Reaction, which I still find a weird collection of songs:

01 Chain Reaction
02 I Am Me
03 No Matter What You Do
04 Swing It
05 Blame It On The Sun
06 Don't Give Up On Each Other
07 [[I Love) Being In Love With You
08 Think I'm In Love
09 I'm Watching You
10 Sweet Surrender
11 One Shining Moment
12 Sweet Nothings
13 I Will Survive
14 Fool For Your Love

https://www.discogs.com/release/3514729-Diana-Ross-Chain-Reaction
I have this compilation! And yes, it is a motley grouping.

kenneth
08-16-2022, 11:43 AM
It's always been curious to me that when AT THEIR BEST was released in the UK it had 14 tracks, but by the time it was released in the US it dropped to 10.

I've always wondered about that practice myself, as in the 60s and 70s, prior to CDs, it seemed most import albums had 14 tracks while those in the US were limited to no more than 12. I suppose it's just what the market would bear at the time.

The practice was so prevalent that it led to the US-only release of the Beatles' "Yesterday and Today" album which was made up of odds and ends from previously released albums in the UK, and a couple new singles. Supposedly this inspired the Beatles to pose as butchers on the original album cover with the remains of slaughtered babies strewn amongst them, because they felt Capitol kept "butchering" their original albums.

As a collector, I was always gratified by the fact that there were as a result more albums to collect. Probably not a healthy attitude, looking back and looking around at all the albums I've hauled around for 35+ years!

sup_fan
08-17-2022, 10:32 AM
I've always wondered about that practice myself, as in the 60s and 70s, prior to CDs, it seemed most import albums had 14 tracks while those in the US were limited to no more than 12. I suppose it's just what the market would bear at the time.

The practice was so prevalent that it led to the US-only release of the Beatles' "Yesterday and Today" album which was made up of odds and ends from previously released albums in the UK, and a couple new singles. Supposedly this inspired the Beatles to pose as butchers on the original album cover with the remains of slaughtered babies strewn amongst them, because they felt Capitol kept "butchering" their original albums.

As a collector, I was always gratified by the fact that there were as a result more albums to collect. Probably not a healthy attitude, looking back and looking around at all the albums I've hauled around for 35+ years!

were these GH sets similar to how K Tel and other "as seen on tv" packages crammed in more music? i know they would occasionally edit down tracks to make them fit in the ktel sets. but didn't they also do something with the grooves to compress it so that you can squeeze in more music? sorry - i'm not a manufacturer of vinyl so im sure i'm not stating it correctly. but that's also why the music quality on ktel records is inferrior

kenneth
08-17-2022, 12:14 PM
were these GH sets similar to how K Tel and other "as seen on tv" packages crammed in more music? i know they would occasionally edit down tracks to make them fit in the ktel sets. but didn't they also do something with the grooves to compress it so that you can squeeze in more music? sorry - i'm not a manufacturer of vinyl so im sure i'm not stating it correctly. but that's also why the music quality on ktel records is inferrior

There is definitely a decrease in quality as you squeeze more tracks onto one side of a vinyl album, however it wouldn’t be a difference you would notice between say 10 and 14 selections in total. But like Ktel Records, King Records had a series at one time which they heavily promoted as having 24 songs on an album, 12 on each side, and although many of them were edited to be shorter than their original versions, there was still a lot of compression in the audio which I think was due to trying to squeeze too much analog sound onto one side of the album. I’m sure there’s others on this forum who are more experienced than I am, mine is just experience from listening to albums like that, not really sure of the engineering behind the audio.

I didn’t know Ktel Records also edited their track selections to squeeze the songs down to fit. I demand restitution! I bought a lot of those “only available on TV” albums!

florence
08-17-2022, 01:37 PM
I don't really understand this but I remember Bluebrock talking about it at one stage.

In the 90s I bought singles on CD but albums on vinyl.

For some strange reason it took the UK several years to obtain the licence to release If We Hold On Together in the UK.

I'm assuming that if it was included on the CD version of Force Behind The Power then it there was no reason why it couldn't have been on vinyl.

But because of the "quality" issue one track was removed from the International vinyl issue in the UK this being If We Hold On which was a nonsense as there were a good half dozen others which could have been chosen instead.

I was absolutely furious after buying my copy to find If We Hold On missing.

reese
08-17-2022, 02:34 PM
I didn’t know Ktel Records also edited their track selections to squeeze the songs down to fit. I demand restitution! I bought a lot of those “only available on TV” albums!

I remember receiving a K-Tel SUPER BAD collection one Christmas. I do recall some songs fading early.

sup_fan
08-17-2022, 02:39 PM
I remember receiving a K-Tel SUPER BAD collection one Christmas. I do recall some songs fading early.

we have one called High Energy and it was Le Freak and some others that are shorter. maybe the dance break in the middle is reduced or something

daviddh
08-17-2022, 08:13 PM
I'd like a Ross CD with rare gems such as promise me you'll try
Going back,
You make me feel brand new

Jaap
08-18-2022, 02:04 AM

The Dutch 1985 K-Tel Dance Songs collection contains the long album version of Love Hangover and the 12 inch version of The Boss, only to fade out 2 minutes too early. I was so excited to have the 12 inch of The Boss on CD... until I played it.

https://www.discogs.com/release/2939652-Diana-Ross-Dance-Songs

mysterysinger
08-18-2022, 05:26 AM
There was a 70s Supremes Greatest Hits LP in 1974 catalogue no STML 11256 in the UK and issued everywhere except the USA it seems

The tracks were

A1 Up The Ladder To The Roof
A2 Bad Weather
A3 Nathan Jones
A4 Everybody's Got The Right To Love
A5 Automatically Sunshine
A6 Touch
A7 I Guess I'll Miss The Man
A8 Stoned Love
B1 River Deep Mountain High
Featuring [With] – The Four Tops*
B2 Floy Joy
B3 Together We Can Make Such Sweet Music
B4 Your Wonderful Sweet Sweet Love
B5 You Gotta Have Love In Your Heart
B6 Bill, When Are You Coming Back
B7 Reach Out And Touch [[Somebody's Hand)

https://www.discogs.com/master/295282-The-Supremes-Greatest-Hits

kenneth
08-18-2022, 08:37 AM

That’s so funny. I had the second volume called SUPER BAD IS BACK!

reese
08-18-2022, 09:41 AM
That’s so funny. I had the second volume called SUPER BAD IS BACK!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llPoZAhsUfo

sansradio
08-18-2022, 09:45 AM
I'd like a Ross CD with rare gems such as promise me you'll try
Going back,
You make me feel brand new

I never knew Diana recorded "You Make Me Feel Brand New." Is it the same song as The Stylistics? When did she record It?

kenneth
08-18-2022, 11:18 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llPoZAhsUfo

That's the one! I don't remember the ad, though. How fun! Thanks Reese!

reese
08-18-2022, 12:13 PM
I never knew Diana recorded "You Make Me Feel Brand New." Is it the same song as The Stylistics? When did she record It?

I don't recall recording a version of that song. If so, it must be on a collection released outside of the US.

marybrewster
08-18-2022, 12:35 PM
Wasn't there a 1980 release in the UK "The Supremes Featuring Mary Wilson - Greatest Hits"?

mysterysinger
08-18-2022, 12:53 PM
The same Greatest Hits album as mentioned above was re-issued in 1983 entitled "The Supremes Featuring Mary Wilson - Greatest Hits"

https://www.discogs.com/release/6711486-The-Supremes-Featuring-Mary-Wilson-Greatest-Hits

TheMotownManiac
08-18-2022, 03:45 PM
RCA

Fools
Mirror, Mirror
Muscles
Love Lies
Thats How You Start Over
Swept Away
Missing You
Touch By Touch
Forever Young
Chain Reaction
Crime Of Passion
Summertime
——————————
INCLUDES Bonus CD Tracks!
I Love Being In Love With You
Nobody Makes Me Crazy
Fool For Your Love
All Of You

Spreadinglove21
08-18-2022, 03:56 PM
Diana Ross greatest hits/at her best 1988 to present:

If We Hold On Together
Workin' Overtime
This House
Duet with Al B. Sure [[sorry forgot title)
When You Tell Me that you love me
Force Behind the Power
Waiting in the Wings
One Shining Moment
You're Gonna Love it
God Bless the Child [[Live Stolen Moments)
Lover Man where can you be [[Live stolen moments)
Best Years of My Life
Someday We'll be together [[Diana xtended remix)
Take Me Higher
I will survive
Gone
I thought we were still in love
Until We Meet Again
He Lives in You
What about Love [[from I Love You)
If the World Just Danced
I still Believe
Thank you

TheMotownManiac
08-18-2022, 04:03 PM