PDA

View Full Version : Your wonderful sweet sweet love

test

dickiemint
06-04-2011, 04:54 PM
While walking the dog and listening to my I Pod on shuffle last week it played both Jean & Supremes and Kim Weston's version of this song, and I got to say although both ladies give great vocals on this Smokey song Kim Weston's take is the Best. What do you think, and how come this was not a hit ?

theboyfromxtown
06-04-2011, 05:20 PM
Interesting one Dickiemint. I thought that with "Marionette" too - Kim Weston versus the Marvelettes.

The 2nd question is easier....Kim's wasn't released and the Supremes should have been a hit!

The 1st question.....hmmm.....depends on the mood......but the Supremes version is the one I play most

BayouMotownMan
06-04-2011, 07:29 PM
It wasn't a hit for the Supremes for a several reasons. Most significantly, another personnel change had occurred [[Cindy Birdsong to Lynda Laurence) at a time when their popularity was falling. Secondly, Motown was moving to LA and the company was having trouble adjusting. Third, the Supremes had secured independent management about a year prior to which Motown rebelled heavily, leaving the group to its own devices...which they really didn't have.

Most importantly, the song simply wasn't single material. It made for a great lp cut but that's it. I remember when it came out I knew it was mistake. There simply were no more singles off the Floy Joy lp. When they followed this with "I Guess I'll Miss The Man" I was especially sure they were going in the wrong direction. Lovely song, but no one would have know this was the Supremes if they weren't told.

marv2
06-04-2011, 08:19 PM
"Your Wonderful Sweet, Sweet Love", good song. Great beat and easy to dance to. I thought it was soulful and always loved the part where it sounds like Jean is reaching orgasmic climax when she goes " I need, I need, I need, I needdddd!!!.....then the Supremes sing "Your Wonderful Sweet, Sweet Love!" LOL!

Smokey's little mechanical sounding vocal under current wasn't bad either. I've never heard Kim's version.

jeff9nyc
06-04-2011, 10:13 PM
Kims version has a better backing track by the Funk Brothers. Jean does a better vocal over a California "lite" track. I really wish Jean just had been allowed to let go and ripped though it the way I know she was capable of.

jboy88
06-04-2011, 10:53 PM
Kims version has a better backing track by the Funk Brothers. Jean does a better vocal over a California "lite" track. I really wish Jean just had been allowed to let go and ripped though it the way I know she was capable of.

I've never heard Kim Weston's version, but the Supremes' version, according to the liner notoes to "This is The Story", was also recorded in Detroit with the Funk brothers, the final Supremes album to feature them!

rovereab
06-05-2011, 03:17 AM
Kim's version for me - a great vocal and backing track. I feel that it would have been a hit when originally recorded and perhaps in the UK when the re-release era started in the late 60s.

Eamonn

roger
06-05-2011, 06:29 AM
I've always liked THE SUPREMES "Wonderful Sweet Sweet Love" but that type of sound was becoming somewhat outdated in the U.S. in late 1972 so it didn't come as a surprise to me when it wasn't a big hit. However I would have thought that in Britain it should have done better as it didn't even make the Top 50 whereas its predecessor "Automatically Sunshine" got into the U.K. Top 10.

I have the KIM WESTON anthology that has her version on it [[ funnily no-one seems to have posted it on you-tube ) and to my ears it is even better than THE SUPREMES version. The backing track just has a lot more whoomph!! Would it have been a hit if released back in the '60s? Who can tell.

Roger

psychedelic jacques
06-05-2011, 07:15 AM
I agree that YWSSL has a 'soul lite' sound that one would have expected to do well in the UK, following on from the big successes of Floy Joy and Automatically Sunshine.

I have no idea if this is relevant, but when I bought YWSSL back in the tail end of 1972, its Tamla Motown label read "made in Germany", which i'd never seen on a Tamla Motown label before in the UK - I wonder if it might have suffered from some distribution issues which had a negative impact upon sales?

Jimi LaLumia
06-05-2011, 11:34 AM
I'm telling you, even as a barely out of my teens fan,already on Motown's promo mailing list for the publications I was writing for, I could 'feel' those post "Touch" singles withering on the vine, not getting any 'water' or 'sunshine'[[no pun intended)...
maybe it was because of that management shift,and as we all konw, I have my own theories...
even "I Guess I'll Miss The Man" could have been worked at what was then called
Easy Listening"/"Middle Of The Road" radio, but it seemed like no attempts were made;
so shameful..[[yes, I'm always this dramatic in the morning)

robb_k
06-05-2011, 01:54 PM
I can't remember hearing Kim's version of EITHER of those two songs. Can someone please post a soundfile of both? They are not on The Internet [[at least using my search methods). Thanks.

phil
06-05-2011, 02:55 PM
Robb, you can listen to a bit of Kim's version on this link : http://web2txt.co.uk/kim-weston-your-wonderful-sweet-sweet-love-mp3-download-343-2233360/

roger
06-05-2011, 03:34 PM
Robb, you can listen to a bit of Kim's version on this link : http://web2txt.co.uk/kim-weston-your-wonderful-sweet-sweet-love-mp3-download-343-2233360/

I couldn't get that link to work Phil .. but you should be able to hear the full recording of Kim's version of "Your Wonderful Sweet Sweet Love" here ..

http://www.we7.com/#/song/Kim-Weston/Your-Wonderful-Sweet-Sweet-Love

Roger

1382hitsville
06-05-2011, 04:01 PM
One of my favorite Kim Weston songs! Yes, her version has more power and seems to be ahead of it's time. The Supremes version is nice, Jean is a great vocalist but it seems a bit dated....too early and too late. Motown missed the boat here as it has the potential to be a classic.