PDA

View Full Version : The Women Of Motown

test

mysterysinger
07-02-2022, 07:41 PM
A marathon read, but if it helps you - it's alphabetical.

Wow....

https://kimsloans.wordpress.com/2020/08/07/the-women-of-motown/

daviddesper
07-02-2022, 11:31 PM
Like you said exhausting...........I can only make it through the C's. Maybe another day!!!

Graham Jarvis
07-03-2022, 03:11 AM
It's a superb piece of work, not being pickey as i love these kinds of things!
There is however always one or more missing. Maybe I missed it ? there is Raynoma Gordy as "Little Iva & her Band" on Miracle 2 label. Not sure if Melodyland & Hitsville should be inclusive?
From memory There is also Nancy Peters, on Kudo "Cry Baby Heart" written by Jaine Bradford & Berry Gordy and a list of the Motown related artists on none Motown labels I can dig out?
Presume Chisa records would be left out as its owned by Hugh Masekela with a distribution deal with Motown.

Ed H
07-03-2022, 03:37 AM
Read all the way through this Sunday morning. An excellent read, but I ended up thinking I wanted a little bit more. Barbara Randolph - I got a Feeling surprised me; not a hit. It's been in my top 50 playlist for 30 years and I do remember loving it at the time of its original UK release.

woodward
07-03-2022, 11:47 AM
I considered printing the entire document out, but I realized by doing so would use up 310 sheets of paper and heaven only knows how many printer cartridges. So I guess I will keep it for reference but it is VAST.

kenneth
07-03-2022, 11:23 PM
Lots of fun tidbits and love seeing the photos and record labels, and some things I still didn't know although I guess it would be on the complete singles sets - the Boone Family recorded for Motown? Fun to wade through all the info. Thanks for posting!

daviddesper
07-03-2022, 11:44 PM
Finally had the chance to finish the rest of it. Quite educational. I read about a lady named Leah Kunkel who was part of a female group but I have a solo album by her and never knew she had any connection to Motown.

danman869
07-04-2022, 12:10 PM
Finally had the chance to finish the rest of it. Quite educational. I read about a lady named Leah Kunkel who was part of a female group but I have a solo album by her and never knew she had any connection to Motown.

Leah Kunkel is the younger sister of the late Cass Elliot.

mysterysinger
07-04-2022, 02:05 PM
Glad you're enjoying this folks, I certainly learned from it. I like the illustrations too.

PeaceNHarmony
07-05-2022, 08:50 AM
A marathon read, but if it helps you - it's alphabetical.

Wow....

https://kimsloans.wordpress.com/2020/08/07/the-women-of-motown/Great find; lots of performers I am not familiar with -

luke
07-05-2022, 11:19 AM
Didn’t Lynn Roman have a hit with Stop I don’t need no sympathy?

mysterysinger
07-05-2022, 02:01 PM
Yes "Stop I Don't Need No Sympathy" was on Brunswick [[great record too). Lyn Roman's real name was Linda Griner, of course, of "Goodbye Cruel Love" fame on Motown.

luke
07-05-2022, 04:25 PM
According to discogs she’s been a top real estate agent and humanitarian in Las Vegas.

blkfrost
07-05-2022, 06:07 PM
Nice list, not complete though. Motown had Diahann Carroll, Maureen Steele [[Boys will be Boys), Carrie MacDowell [[Uh, Uh, No No Casual Sex), Vanity, and Bunny DeBarge to name a few more.

daviddesper
07-05-2022, 07:25 PM
Wow I am stunned that those were left off, so thanks for pointing that out. Many of us on here have indicated a desire to see the Diahann album released on CD but I guess it will never happen. As for Maureen Steele, I have that album on vinyl and it was excellent. And of course who could forget the Nasty Girl herself Vanity?

mysterysinger
07-05-2022, 07:34 PM
Lynda Carter is missing and others. Still plenty of names there to keep you entertained and a great piece of work. No doubt it would benefit from additions. May never run out of suggestions though.