05-19-2022, 05:02 AM
I love it! You go girl

sansradio
05-19-2022, 07:06 AM
Finally available for download as well! #stoked

florence
05-19-2022, 08:27 AM
Wow!

And what an honour for Diana to be closing Platinum Jubilee Cocert for Our Queen Elizabeth II.

carlo
05-19-2022, 11:46 AM
Amazing song!! Her voice and Tame Impala's voice in the background, work well together.

PeaceNHarmony
05-19-2022, 11:50 AM
It's a fun song and I do like the production.

Roberta75
05-19-2022, 11:51 AM
What a great song. so happy and catchy. I love it.

Deepdishus2001
05-19-2022, 11:51 AM
Great fun song and exciting vocal. Purchased immediately. Positive reviews from Rolling Stone and Billboard too. Never thought I’d see the day when we would receive so much all new music from Diana again.

carlo
05-19-2022, 12:48 PM
Glad to hear that she's already getting positive reviews, Deepdishus. I'll have to check those out. I also never imagined this day. I thought the chances of her putting out new music was so slim, with each passing year. It's wonderful that we got a great new album from her last year and now this single. It's exciting that she is going to have a higher profile this summer, between this new song, the Queen's Jubilee performance, Glastonbury and the UK/EU tour.

I love this song. Very well produced. Diana sounds great, and as I said earlier, her voice and Tame Impala's background vocals work well together. Love the strings and overall funkiness of the track. There's also some fun subtle ad-libs she does just before and after the 3:00 mark [ah's and uh's in the background]. You can also hear her let loose a bit in the background at 3:42 with "all around the world". So many cool hooks and bits in this song that make it so funky and interesting...it catches your ear. Excellent collaboration. Well done!

TNSUN
05-19-2022, 12:56 PM
Yes, "Turn Up the Sunshine" is a Winner!
Summer already feels good.
Bravo to a fun track.

Spreadinglove21
05-19-2022, 01:19 PM
Here are some reviews:

https://www.stereogum.com/2187218/diana-ross-turn-up-the-sunshine-feat-tame-impala/music/

https://www.brooklynvegan.com/diana-ross-and-tame-impala-release-new-song-turn-up-the-sunshine-listen/

https://www.nme.com/news/music/listen-to-tame-impala-and-diana-ross-funky-collaborative-single-turn-up-the-sunshine-3229095

sansradio
05-19-2022, 01:40 PM
Is anyone else getting a Spice Girls/“Wannabe” vibe from the verses of this? #itsagoodthing

carlo
05-19-2022, 02:13 PM
Is anyone else getting a Spice Girls/“Wannabe” vibe from the verses of this? #itsagoodthing

Interesting...I don't get Wannabe vibes at all, but that's not to say that what you're hearing isn't valid. We all pickup on different things. :) I'm getting more "Brick House" by the Commodores vibes.

In Toronto, we have a popular radio station called Indie 88 that exclusively plays 'independent' rock and pop music, which is geared toward the 'hipsters'. I never would have expected Diana to be turning their heads, but here we are...they published an article today about the collaboration with Tame Impala [link below].

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://indie88.com/diana-ross-teams-up-with-tame-impala-on-turn-up-the-sunshine-for-the-new-minions-movie/&ved=2ahUKEwibvKCElOz3AhVRbs0KHTvmA-0QxfQBKAB6BAgWEAI&usg=AOvVaw3LVYJTGAJY5gkIoysXHtRk

Albator
05-19-2022, 02:28 PM
Great joyous song but it's hard to call it a Diana Ross song. She is less recognizable than in Muscles or Eaten Alive.

Anyway, I hope it's a hit

Ollie9
05-19-2022, 05:12 PM
Sorry to be a party pooper, but i find it rather boring as in dullsville. I much prefer the uptempo numbers on “Thank You” such as “If The World Just Danced” and “Tomorrow”.
The upside being, it’s getting plenty of media attention which is never a bad thing.
Not a Ross classic methinks.

daviddh
05-19-2022, 06:07 PM
i love it but its not up on itunes yet.
thought i could preorder.darn
ill check in the morning

daviddh
05-19-2022, 06:13 PM
Stand corrected. Got it.yea

Had to type it in as it's under soundtracks

copley
05-19-2022, 06:34 PM
I was hoping to like this but I don't!

carlo
05-19-2022, 06:37 PM
https://dvfnvgxhycwzf.cloudfront.net/media/SharedImage/image600/.fqGeYbDY/SharedImage-135683.png?t=abd57c89e9ba22a10ed1

7" vinyl single of Turn Up the Sunshine, to be released July 1st.

https://shop.decca.com/*/*/Diana-Ross-Turn-up-the-sunshine-Minions-The-Rise-Of-Gru/7EXD0000000

captainjames
05-19-2022, 08:33 PM
I had to listen to it twice [[well maybe 3 times) and I am hooked. Its just one of those feel good songs and GOD we need to feel good now. I take my hat off to Diana for doing this and I am sure she did it for the grandkids or her fans. Thank You !!

TomatoTom123
05-19-2022, 08:34 PM
Fun track!!

Circa 1824
05-19-2022, 09:13 PM
It is light years better than that dreadful Thank You cd.

I wish the new song had a bit less of the repetitive chorus and more lyrical content. Otherwise, it is exceedingly fresh, vibrant, and exciting.

florence
05-20-2022, 03:07 PM
Radio 2 UK's most listened to Station

RECORD OF THE WEEK

Diana Ross Ft. Tame Impala - Turn Up The Sunshine

smallworld
05-21-2022, 07:43 AM
I wonder why this song didn't make the album. Perhaps they thought the song had a better chance of success as a movie tie-in...

after you
05-21-2022, 11:31 AM
This song is incredible just like the beautiful Thank You CD

daviddh
05-21-2022, 12:24 PM
i am thinking the forthcoming expanded edition of Thank You will have the dance mixs and the Sunshine Track

rovereab
05-21-2022, 04:07 PM
i am thinking the forthcoming expanded edition of Thank You will have the dance mixs and the Sunshine Track

Daviddh, where is the expanded edition mentioned please?

daviddh
05-22-2022, 12:27 PM
there is an expanded edition planned to coincide with her UK tour.

jim aka jtigre99
05-22-2022, 06:51 PM
I really, really like this song. It has great possibility to catch on. Great job by Miss Ross! WTG!

TNSUN
05-23-2022, 08:20 AM
Grammy Award for Diana Ross.⭐ This song is all joy. Bravo!

mindful1
05-24-2022, 05:32 PM
Is Diana's Turn Up the Sunshine better than Pharrell's "Happy" ? That's what this reviewer seems to be saying! [[you need to scroll way down to POP Five section)

https://www.stereogum.com/2187325/harry-styles-harrys-house-review/columns/the-week-in-pop/

TomatoTom123
05-24-2022, 07:52 PM
This a fun and enjoyable song, but I don’t love it as much as I do "Thank You" or even "If The World Just Danced". It’s definitely a ‘Tame Impala song’ with Diana's vocals on top [although some very excellent vocals]. :D

When I first heard "Thank You", I was completely overcome with how awesome it was! Maybe that’s because it was Diana's first release in 15 years… but I just didn’t have the same reaction when I listened to this one.

Still, though, very enjoyable and I hope it does well. :cool:

motown_marc
05-25-2022, 04:24 AM
the extended MHP Mix:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8k_l4ZGWWWw

Ollie9
05-25-2022, 06:35 AM
I’ve tried to like it, but still find it overly simplistic and lacking in melody. Hoping it might be added to her set list though as anything new has to be a bonus.

khansperac
05-25-2022, 05:47 PM
Question about the possible expanded version of the “Thank You” album. Most of her concerts will be in the month of June. She has a high profile concert at the beginning of the month, and the end of the month. It would be ideal to release it to coincide with the Jubilee at the beginning. If not for that, then definitely for the Glastonbury gig. I say all that to ask, is it even possible for her to release and expanded version of the album with “Turn up the Sunshine” before the official soundtrack album? The soundtrack drops at the beginning of July.

reese
05-25-2022, 06:04 PM
Question about the possible expanded version of the “Thank You” album. Most of her concerts will be in the month of June. She has a high profile concert at the beginning of the month, and the end of the month. It would be ideal to release it to coincide with the Jubilee at the beginning. If not for that, then definitely for the Glastonbury gig. I say all that to ask, is it even possible for her to release and expanded version of the album with “Turn up the Sunshine” before the official soundtrack album? The soundtrack drops at the beginning of July.

I have no official news. But I would think the movie powers-that-be would want the recording to be featured on the soundtrack before it appears elsewhere.

daviddh
05-25-2022, 07:26 PM
it would make sense to me to release it just prior to the tour , but then again.
i am not a record company. ive seen it the other way , where as the cd came out after the fact

florence
05-27-2022, 01:02 PM
#59 on UK Singles Sales Chart

On the whole there hasn't really been a great reaction to the song in the UK

copley
05-27-2022, 01:07 PM
No sign of it on the chart that matters, the UK Top 100 Singles chart. This is the one that feeds the Guinness Book of Hit Records.

Circa 1824
05-27-2022, 04:47 PM
No sign of it on the chart that matters, the UK Top 100 Singles chart. This is the one that feeds the Guinness Book of Hit Records.

If she is not doing TV and other media, then she is not interested in having a hit. All of us have to move our asses to be successful.

bradsupremes
05-27-2022, 06:08 PM
Expanded edition of Thank You? Did the album even sell enough to warrant an expanded edition? It didn’t even chart/barely charted. Plus she did nothing to promote it so I can’t see Universal jumping to add more copies into the market when places like Amazon were selling it at $8 to get rid of stock.

As for “Turn Up The Sunshine,” it does nothing for me. The rapping, the multi-layering of her vocals, and the high pitch voices do the song no favors. It’s not the hit people think it will be. A great example of a new/old artist combo is “Cold Heart” by Elton John and Dua Lipa which went on to become a top 10 hit. This is not in that category.

TomatoTom123
05-27-2022, 09:10 PM
I have agree with your assessment brad, especially regarding "Cold Heart". That one is very well done, cleverly turning an old song [or 4 :cool:] into a new hit. :D

Ollie9
05-28-2022, 04:25 AM
Expanded edition of Thank You? Did the album even sell enough to warrant an expanded edition? It didn’t even chart/barely charted. Plus she did nothing to promote it so I can’t see Universal jumping to add more copies into the market when places like Amazon were selling it at $8 to get rid of stock.

As for “Turn Up The Sunshine,” it does nothing for me. The rapping, the multi-layering of her vocals, and the high pitch voices do the song no favors. It’s not the hit people think it will be. A great example of a new/old artist combo is “Cold Heart” by Elton John and Dua Lipa which went on to become a top 10 hit. This is not in that category.

I agree on all points brad. Why would a label go to the bother of expanding an album that didn’t sell. It might be different if “Turn Up The Sunshine” went huge, but it appears that’s not going to happen. It’s frustrating she isn’t interested in even a modicum of promotion as it would make such a difference.
The good news being it created a media buzz to remind peeps she will soon be touring. I just hope the concerts do well.

khansperac
05-28-2022, 07:28 AM
How about we wait and see???

No promotion?

So far Diana has planned a tour. Dropped a new single. Created social media buzz. She also has lined up 2 of the highest profile [[TELEVISED) gigs you can get.

mindful1
05-28-2022, 10:02 AM
Turn up the Sunshine listed #1 [[15 Favorite tracks this week) FLOOD FM , I think its San Francisco based

https://floodmagazine.com/109745/f-yeah-fridays-ep-29/

bradsupremes
05-28-2022, 10:16 AM

No promotion?

So far Diana has planned a tour. Dropped a new single. Created social media buzz. She also has lined up 2 of the highest profile [[TELEVISED) gigs you can get.

But that’s after the album’s release and any promotion, which isn’t much, is to spark interest in her UK tour. Any interest in the album has faded. Strike while the iron is hot. I know Universal had a bunch of things planned and she wouldn’t go for any of it. Which leads back to the whole rumor of an expanded edition - why would Universal do one when she didn’t do anything they had planned for it’s initial release.

Spreadinglove21
05-28-2022, 11:44 AM

No promotion?

Good point. But if she doesn't perform the song at the Jubilee and/or at her Glastonbury slot then these may be blown opportunities to promote the song.

khansperac
05-28-2022, 11:50 AM
Good point. But if she doesn't perform the song at the Jubilee and/or at her Glastonbury slot then these may be blown opportunities to promote the song.

I’m thinking it will be performed at Glastonbury, but not the Jubilee. The jubilee will be a medley of songs according to producer/arranger Troy Miller.

Circa 1824
05-28-2022, 03:27 PM
Expanded edition? Good Lord, there was zero interest in its first incarnation. One YouTube listen was enough for me.

sansradio
05-28-2022, 05:24 PM
I suspect the song will gain traction after the movie’s release in July.

Ollie9
05-29-2022, 01:29 PM
I suspect the song will gain traction after the movie’s release in July.

I really hope so. It would certainly bode well for the tour.

florence
05-30-2022, 02:39 AM
I really hope Bluebrock is on board and advising Diana.

As Diana is the final act in the Jubilee concert they want to leave the party bopping so the final song should be Chain Reaction.

It's the one song many of those in the crowd will know.

It's been so long since Diana has been in the UK her profile is low but at least Radio 2 has done its best.

Ollie9
05-30-2022, 03:11 AM
Had anyone any idea how well tickets are moving?.

after you
05-31-2022, 07:53 AM
With lots of hope and love There’s going to be a lot more admiration for Diana Ross and maybe a new hit single number one baby here we come

daviddh
05-31-2022, 03:04 PM
diana will be recording with the philharmonic orchestra , in UK for an album release later this year

masterblaster
05-31-2022, 03:19 PM

As previously posted, its record of the week on BBC2, that will push the record together with the movie release.

Levi Stubbs Tears
05-31-2022, 07:34 PM
I really hope Bluebrock is on board and advising Diana.

Wish he was around to tell us how things are going.

The forum just isn't the same without his insider knowledge :[[

vgalindo
06-01-2022, 01:25 AM
diana will be recording with the philharmonic orchestra , in UK for an album release later this year
That sounds great. Where did you hear this news?

after you
06-01-2022, 05:06 PM
6.1.2022 DIANA'S NEW BILLBOARD DEBUT! Diana's collaboration with Tame Impala, "Turn Up the Sunshine," has debuted on Billboard's Adult Contemporary chart!!!!

#24 U.S. Billboard Adult Contemporary

This is the first time the Supreme Diva has been on the AC chart since her 2005 duet with Rod Stewart, "I've Got a Crush On You." From Diana Ross the greatest

mindful1
06-02-2022, 06:07 PM
6.1.2022 DIANA'S NEW BILLBOARD DEBUT! Diana's collaboration with Tame Impala, "Turn Up the Sunshine," has debuted on Billboard's Adult Contemporary chart!!!!

#24 U.S. Billboard Adult Contemporary

This is the first time the Supreme Diva has been on the AC chart since her 2005 duet with Rod Stewart, "I've Got a Crush On You." From Diana Ross the greatest

https://radioinsight.com/blogs/226702/handicapping-the-summer-song-of-2022/

khansperac
06-03-2022, 02:29 PM
I saw some kind of car commercial this morning that had a tie in with the movie. Playing in the background was this song.

after you
06-13-2022, 02:53 PM
6.13.2022 DIANA ROSS' collaborative single with Tame Impala, "Turn Up the Sunshine," has risen to #4 on BBC Radio 2's Airplay Chart! Do you think it will reach the #1 spot???

From Diana Ross the greatest

Boogiedown
06-14-2022, 10:56 AM
Good for her !
Seems peculiar to have the #4 record as she’s touring there and not perform it …

jobeterob
06-15-2022, 01:11 PM
6.13.2022 DIANA ROSS' collaborative single with Tame Impala, "Turn Up the Sunshine," has risen to #4 on BBC Radio 2's Airplay Chart! Do you think it will reach the #1 spot???

From Diana Ross the greatest

Apparently it has now reached #1

copley
06-15-2022, 04:24 PM
#1 where please?

jobeterob
06-15-2022, 05:15 PM
#1 where please?

On the BBC Chart that’s been referred to above

daviddh
06-16-2022, 08:35 PM
any info on usa charts

Ollie9
06-17-2022, 03:03 AM
I’m glad it’s not included in the show......yet. I think the average Joe who attends her concerts would be left rather bemused.

copley
06-17-2022, 01:51 PM
On the BBC Chart that’s been referred to above

Thanks. This of course is totally irrelevant. It's sales & streams that count so that it gets into the Official UK Top 100 Singles Chart which feeds the record books. It has zero chance as it's awful.

jobeterob
06-18-2022, 02:05 AM
Now I see a post saying it’s reentered the Official Sales chart at 87 and the download chart at 83

How do we like that?! The download placing is higher - for an old lady and all

jim aka jtigre99
06-18-2022, 09:34 AM
https://kworb.net/itunes/artist/dianaross.html
It is #11 on Israel's iTunes,#52vin Israel and #81 in the UK.

copley
06-18-2022, 01:31 PM
Still not in the Official UK Top 100 Singles Chart which is the only one that counts guys!

https://www.officialcharts.com/charts/singles-chart/

after you
06-18-2022, 02:11 PM
I Absolutely love this song full of fun, in love that’s what we need right now and after a few more concerts who knows the song can go to number one love love love love love this song

copley
06-18-2022, 02:28 PM
#1 in which country, La-La Land! Keep it real please. It's the kids who buy music like this and they are not into Diana or anyone of that generation. Sadly but not surprisingly there is also no sign yet of 'Thank You' or anything else re-entering the UK albums chart. Why? Lack of any PR that's why and lack of interest by casual fans! There's just a week now till Glastonbury so not much time left for the PR machine to spring into life assuming it's still working!

florence
06-19-2022, 08:06 AM
Sadly the chances of Diana having another UK chart hit are slim to none.

The only possibility is if she was to do a duet with someone like Justin Bieber or Taylor Swift.

Actual sales count for very little today, the chart is driven by Streaming and artists of Diana's generation just don't get these in big enough numbers.

It's an arbitrary figure they use as to how many Streams equal one "sale".

It's a nonsense that every Stream counts - many just put on playlist when they see a few songs they like and it plays out with every song getting a credit.

If Diana had gone through with appearing in 2014 I have no doubt she would have been rewarded with a #1 for one of her Greatest Hits albums as sales were still King then.

It's a pity that the RPO album hadn't been recorded in time for her current appearances in the UK but it beggars belief that neither Decca nor Universal has done promotion on ANYTHING.

It's just a pity that we couldn't get any feedback from Bluebrock on what exactly the situation was.

mindful1
06-28-2022, 03:33 PM
Our local fitness club was playing Turn up the Sunshine today!, [[some type radio/video service)

Circa 1824
07-03-2022, 11:16 PM
I like Turn Up the Sunshine and her vocal, but I now think it is not age appropriate. At 78, and at this stage in her career, she should do something more dignified. And, I don’t mean more that “religion of positive thinking” crap put into song.

Ollie9
07-04-2022, 01:26 PM
I like Turn Up the Sunshine and her vocal, but I now think it is not age appropriate. At 78, and at this stage in her career, she should do something more dignified. And, I don’t mean more that “religion of positive thinking” crap put into song.

Your never to old to have a bit fun Circa. ;)
The proposed album with the Philharmonic Orchestra promises to be a little more dignified.

after you
07-04-2022, 08:13 PM
https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2022/07/04/media/minions-the-rise-of-gru-box-office/index.html
'Minions: The Rise of Gru' breaks box office recordsBy Frank Pallotta, CNN Business

Updated 3:03 PM EDT, Mon July 04, 2022

motown_marc
07-05-2022, 08:19 AM
It has been many years since my last 7"vinyl records with new music by Diana Ross. Dutch pressing with only a track on the A-side. Side B is etched vinyl with the title.

carlo
07-05-2022, 10:06 AM
It has been many years since my last 7"vinyl records with new music by Diana Ross. Dutch pressing with only a track on the A-side. Side B is etched vinyl with the title.

Very nice, motown_marc! Mine is on the way from Decca as well :)

jobeterob
07-05-2022, 06:40 PM
It's #19, on chart of 6 weeks, on the Adult Contemporary Chart in Billboard. Perhaps a chance of making the Top 100??

florence
07-08-2022, 01:22 PM
Didn't realise it had been released as a vinyl single in the UK.

#5 on this week's vinyl chart.