PDA

View Full Version : You Heard of March Madness? Well, How 'Bout Motown Madness!

test

nativeNY63
05-03-2022, 05:25 AM
No click bait here, folks. As SDF is a direct result of Motortown's and Detroit's undying relevance in our lives AND the world-at-large...into the 21st century!!! Could BG in all his genius-ness have foresaw this cultural/musical phenomenon back when scraped those few hundreds of dollars together to create a lil' record company?! Hardly. Dare say in his wildest wild dreams!!

Some notable examples:
Temptations 60 anniversary & album - [[Ain't nobody comin' to see you, Otis!"

Smokey [[William) - helped craft/produce the above, per O's insistence; his take on race, etc., etc.

Ricky J - Chappelle's iconic skit, all those documentaries...still waiting on some love for his ex-boo, Lady Tee [[granted her daughter finished and produced her final album and dropped a few projects herself)

Marvin - 50th anniversary of WGO; the millions of on-again off-again biopic projects, to-date

Miss Ross - still touring and recording; still being The Boss; her uber-talented progeny; The Supremes debate

That's what I got! As the other O said,
[[Your turnnnn....!!"

nativeNY63
05-03-2022, 05:29 AM
...can't forget Stevie [[Steveland Morris) - records, performs, asks why.....[[fill in the blanks[[

Motown Eddie
05-03-2022, 11:05 AM
Another mark of Motown's Enduring Influence is Berry Gordy receiving an Honorary Doctor of Music Degree from the University of Michigan on 4/30/2022 [with Stevie Wonder to receive an Honorary Doctorate Degree from Detroit's Wayne State University in 5/7/2022].

arr&bee
05-03-2022, 03:27 PM
Motown maddness indeed, a veryy important part of our lives musically and culturally...let's not forget that most motown songs tell a complete story not repeating the same verses over and over...god bless berry gordy and motown forever!!

nativeNY63
05-03-2022, 09:40 PM
Motown maddness indeed, a veryy important part of our lives musically and culturally...let's not forget that most motown songs tell a complete story not repeating the same verses over and over...god bless berry gordy and motown forever!!

Ditto. That's a big 10-4, Good Buddy!!

nativeNY63
05-03-2022, 09:42 PM
We left out the record-smashing musicals.

Motown Eddie
05-04-2022, 05:02 AM
And don't forget all the Books that have been written about Motown and it's Artists. Starting with the memoirs penned by Berry Gordy, Jr., Otis Williams, Mary Wilson, Smokey Robinson, Abdul "Duke" Fakir [and others] to the books written about Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder, Diana Ross, The Temptations as well as the various books written about Motown itself [like The Motown Encyclopedia]. There's enough there to fill up a library!

nativeNY63
05-04-2022, 08:02 AM
And don't forget all the Books that have been written about Motown and it's Artists. Starting with the memoirs penned by Berry Gordy, Jr., Otis Williams, Mary Wilson, Smokey Robinson, Abdul "Duke" Fakir [and others] to the books written about Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder, Diana Ross, The Temptations as well as the various books written about Motown itself [like The Motown Encyclopedia]. There's enough there to fill up a library!

Actually Papa Gordy, was the first. It was a pocket book; coffee table style. Believe it is out of print. I checked it out from the library. Very funny read.

marybrewster
05-04-2022, 01:50 PM
THE FLOs recently performed in Ohio with a Temptations Revue.

A joy that they KEEP THE MUSIC PLAYING!

lockhartgary
05-04-2022, 07:55 PM
I know this does not fit what the OP was talking but what about the numerous times black music in general has been called Motown when it isn't Motown music at all? Ignorance notwithstanding, the fact that it's called Motown when it isn't speaks volumes about how far reaching even the term Motown is.

nativeNY63
05-04-2022, 10:26 PM
THE FLOs recently performed in Ohio with a Temptations Revue.

A joy that they KEEP THE MUSIC PLAYING!

Caught the Temps Revue at a dinner & show in the late 90s. Not bad.

nativeNY63
05-04-2022, 10:33 PM
I know this does not fit what the OP was talking but what about the numerous times black music in general has been called Motown when it isn't Motown music at all? Ignorance notwithstanding, the fact that it's called Motown when it isn't speaks volumes about how far reaching even the term Motown is.

No, you're right, Lockh. The current iteration has a stable of hip-hop acts - for the Millineals and Gen. Zs. Clearly, they DO NOT embody the [[Motown Sound.) Even though they & other labels refer to these guys as [[R & B/Soul.) Not! So, correct ta mundo, as Fonzie used to say.

sansradio
05-05-2022, 07:12 AM
No, you're right, Lockh. The current iteration has a stable of hip-hop acts - for the Millineals and Gen. Zs. Clearly, they DO NOT embody the [[Motown Sound.) Even though they & other labels refer to these guys as [[R & B/Soul.) Not! So, correct ta mundo, as Fonzie used to say.

I think what Gary was getting at [if I may be so presumptuous] is the lazy mislabeling of all classic soul/Black music from the ‘60s and ‘70s as Motown — which gets my goat, too.

lockhartgary
05-05-2022, 12:14 PM
I think what Gary was getting at [if I may be so presumptuous] is the lazy mislabeling of all classic soul/Black music from the ‘60s and ‘70s as Motown — which gets my goat, too.

And your presumption would be correct. But as lazy as it is, it still speaks to the impact of Motown.

sansradio
05-05-2022, 12:18 PM
And your presumption would be correct. But as lazy as it is, it still speaks to the impact of Motown.

No question about it!

E.T.A.: But grrrrrrr....:p

rovereab
05-05-2022, 02:58 PM
From someone in the UK, Diana Ross' tour topped by the legend slot at Glastonbury really underlines hers and Motown's enduring popularity here.

nativeNY63
05-07-2022, 09:48 PM
And there's, quiet as it's kept, animated Netflix, Jr. series Motown Magic, EP'd by Smokey. Re-imagines the catalog by non-Motown acts. It was out pre-Covid. Anyone know if it's still on? How it did? Trailers/short clips on YouTube.

nativeNY63
05-08-2022, 12:24 AM
...anniversary shows. Motown 25 was the bomb, though. MJ's moonwalk. Temps/Tops showdown. Levi Stubbs. Don't git no better than that, I say!

nativeNY63
05-08-2022, 01:25 AM
Other acts who owe their careers to Motown royalty: [[ in no particular order )
Raheem DeVaughn, Eric Roberson, Rashan Patterson, Musiq Soulchild FKA Musiq, Brian McKnight, Robin Thicke, John Legend, etc. - Marvin

Prince, Bruno Mars, Raphael Saadiq, D-Train, Steve Arrington, etc. - MJ

Beyonce, Solange, Kelly Rowland, JLo, Paula Abdul, Missy "Misdemeanor "Elliott, Ciara, Madonna, etc. - Diane/Diana, The Boss; Miss Ross if ya fiesty!Fiesta!!

Get the picture?

nativeNY63
05-08-2022, 01:47 AM
...D'Angelo, Teddy, Christopher Williams, Keith Sweat, Tank, etc. - David Ruffin

nativeNY63
05-08-2022, 02:18 AM
Then there's that SDF poster's clip of WGO lyrics video last year [[?) Nicely done? A work of art! I think I missed a time stamp or who and when it was created.

nativeNY63
05-08-2022, 08:33 AM
Other acts who owe their careers to Motown royalty: [[ in no particular order )
Raheem DeVaughn, Eric Roberson, Rashan Patterson, Musiq Soulchild FKA Musiq, Brian McKnight, Robin Thicke, John Legend, etc. - Marvin

Prince, Bruno Mars, Raphael Saadiq, D-Train, Steve Arrington, etc. - MJ

Beyonce, Solange, Kelly Rowland, JLo, Paula Abdul, Missy "Misdemeanor "Elliott, Ciara, Madonna, etc. - Diane/Diana, The Boss; Miss Ross if ya fiesty!Fiesta!!

Get the picture?

Edit: Janet can be right alongside Miss Ross, in king-making too.

nativeNY63
05-16-2022, 08:02 AM
This just in: MJ's "Thriller" is 40 years young. Yaaayyy!!

nativeNY63
05-17-2022, 06:14 AM
"Money" [["That's What I Want") - Lyfe Jennings cover