PDA

View Full Version : Super model beverly johnson's 1979 album...was it any good?

test

glencro
08-17-2010, 08:35 AM
I remember Beverly Johnson released an album on Buddah Records back in 1979. I remember the beautiful cover that looked straight out of a fashion magazineI've never heard anything from it but I was wondering if anyone on here has heard it. Can she sing? Who were the producers? Were there any good songs on it?

reese
08-17-2010, 11:23 AM
I never heard the album, but I believe it came out on Arista. I think Betty Wright might have been involved as well.

splanky
08-17-2010, 11:52 AM
Not my glass of brandy but here it is:

http://www.discogs.com/Beverly-Johnson-Dont-Lose-The-Feeling/release/989081

You can listen to songs on youtube...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OT9QUb_1ArE

Nobody begged her to record another, I have to add..

timmyfunk
08-17-2010, 01:26 PM
Is any music album by a super model any good?

nysister
08-17-2010, 04:27 PM
I remember listening to Frankie Crocker interview her on the radio at WBLS.

honest opinions
08-18-2010, 12:32 PM
Is any music album by a super model any good?

If it's Grace Jones the answer is: YES.

If it's Tyrese Gibson the answer is: YES.

And since "super" model is a relatively modern term [[Beverly Johnson was not then called a "super")....going back just a bit further....

An album mixed by Tom Moulton the answer is: YES.

How 'bout those who dabbled in modeling like Phyllis Hyman?

theboyfromxtown
08-19-2010, 07:23 PM
Anybody hear tracks from the Naomi Campbell LP? She had a book and something else out at the time and all of it was in the chuck-outs within a few weeks.

She must have been very disappointed.

jsmith
08-20-2010, 03:02 AM
As Naomi doesn't even seem to know what uncut diamonds look like [[after decades in the fashion industry), she was probably told her album was a hit & didn't even check to find out that it only actually sold 3 copies !!!
Mind you, she should have asked for all the unsold copies, then she would have had something else, apart from phones, to throw at her staff.

theboyfromxtown
08-20-2010, 04:08 AM
Ooo John. Now that post was not your usual style. Have you been reading some SDF Supremes threads!

That is how Naomi makes her money, by causing a scene and then people wanting to get to her. "Motown" stars getting their kit off is yet another example. Mrs Esther Edwards told me many years ago that all publicity is good publicity providing they spell the name right!

My worry is that as time goes on, the kind of "new" things that attract media attention, have to become more outrageous...and more outrageous....and even more outrageous. In the 60's, throwing TV's out of balcony windows, smashing up musical equipment on stage became big news. That sort of thing doesn't attract the same media attention but it still goes on.

jsmith
08-20-2010, 04:24 AM
I know what you mean John.
I smash up our chalet at Pontins' Prestatyn every year .... BUT have yet to make the papers.
Guess I need to say it was Cal 'who dun it' to actually get some publicity !!!!!!!!!

timmyfunk
08-20-2010, 10:48 AM
I don't know if I would ever classify Grace Jones as a supermodel. And I believe that the term emerged just when Beverly Johnson blew up. GJ'S example looks like a case of someone using one career to advance to another. The same cannot be said about Beverly Johnson. Tyrese Gibson makes...ok records. Nothing that stands out on any level.

tomato tom
08-20-2010, 04:14 PM
I have always quite liked Grace Jones music. She CANNOT sing, but as one of my favourite tunes of hers states "Im not perfect, But Im perfect for you". BUT, and GOD HELP US, even the awful Katy Price has commited to a tune or 3. Quite rightly BOMBED...AAAAARRGH|

timmyfunk
08-20-2010, 08:00 PM
Yeah, but her voice is quirky, more than quirky enough for the material that she gets. That's why "Pull Up To The Bumper" and "Slave To The Rhythm" work as well as they do. Both are highly innovative tracks.

glencro
08-21-2010, 11:17 AM
LOL @ Is any music album by a super model any good? Good question...I do have to agree that Grace Jones who was a successful model but not quite "super" status did put out some great music...Thanx for sharing the Beverly Johnson clip...listened to a few of the tracks and not bad, not excellent either...but better than I expected. Tyra Banks was working on a cd a few years ago with Rodney Jerkins but she said it just wasn't working for her. One of the songs is actually the theme song for "America's Next Top Model".

tomato tom
08-21-2010, 04:23 PM
Yes Timmyfunk..Grace has those songs sort of tailor made to fit, so to speak. Very innovative, very clever, and very, very let me hear that again! She is very much one of a kind, and for that I am one Very HAPPY fan..Paulo XXX