PDA

View Full Version : Far Out Magazine - 6 Definitive Diana Ross Songs

test

jobeterob
04-10-2022, 04:07 PM
https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/diana-ross-guide-six-best-songs/?amp

SatansBlues
04-10-2022, 05:24 PM
Chain Reaction and Muscles? I don't think so.

Spreadinglove21
04-10-2022, 08:37 PM
Your love?! At least the list is different.

TheMotownManiac
04-10-2022, 09:28 PM
https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/diana-ross-guide-six-best-songs/?amp

Ponderous, eclectic, but any list of 6 is apt to be. Still…….this one is ponderously ponderous.

Only a duet from the 60’s?

sup_fan
04-11-2022, 09:52 AM
hmmm - i'll do my top 6 solo

Mountain
My Man
Upside Down
The boss
Mahogany
Reach out and touch

marybrewster
04-13-2022, 11:37 AM
Lists like this are shite.

jobeterob
04-13-2022, 05:11 PM

Mountain
My Man
Upside Down
The boss
Mahogany
Reach out and touch

I thought about this and when I think of definitive songs, I think these 6 really fit that description. Not my favorites, but definitive.

Ollie9
04-14-2022, 03:12 AM

Mountain
My Man
Upside Down
The boss
Mahogany
Reach out and touch

For definitive, i would replace “The Boss” with “I’m Coming Out” and “My Man” for “Good Morning Heartache”. “Touch Me In The Morning” should probably make the list, but where?.

sup_fan
04-14-2022, 09:00 AM
yeah i was torn a bit between TMITM and ROATSH. i prefer Touch to Reach but the image of DR doing ROATSH, getting the audience to stand and hold hands swaying is so iconic. that, for me, edged out Touch

i also gave heavy thought to I'm Coming Out and i can certainly see the argument that perhaps it is more "definitive" than The Boss. but on this one i did lean towards my personal preference lol

Boogiedown
04-14-2022, 12:03 PM
don't know anything about FAR'T Magazine

Ollie9
04-14-2022, 04:46 PM
yeah i was torn a bit between TMITM and ROATSH. i prefer Touch to Reach but the image of DR doing ROATSH, getting the audience to stand and hold hands swaying is so iconic. that, for me, edged out Touch

i also gave heavy thought to I'm Coming Out and i can certainly see the argument that perhaps it is more "definitive" than The Boss. but on this one i did lean towards my personal preference lol

I think “Reach Out And Touch” has to be there. Used as a tool in persuading thousands to hold hands at the same time is no mean achievement. It’s synonymous to a Diana Ross concert.
I considered replacing “Good Morning Heartache” with “Love Hangover, but ”LSTB” was such an important milestone in her career I felt it had to be represented in a list of six songs.

Spreadinglove21
04-15-2022, 01:36 PM
Diana Ross has had too many hits and too long of a career to narrow it down to just 6 definitive songs. 10 would have been more workable. I take this list as just one person's opinion. At least the writer chose a few things that one wouldn't expect.

My personal 10 definitive Diana Ross songs [[Supremes and solo):

Where Did Our Love Go
My World is Empty Without You
Reflections
Ain't No Mountain High Enough
God Bless the Child
Love Hangover
Come in from the Rain
It's My Turn
Summertime
When You Tell Me That You Love Me

jobeterob
04-15-2022, 08:06 PM
I feel the LSTB song has to be My Man - go watch her sing it at Grammy.com Motown 60

I also agree with what’s been said about ROAT

PeaceNHarmony
04-15-2022, 08:50 PM
Reach Out ... [ROAT? I can't) was [as we know) Diana's first solo release so it's automatically important. It's also a gorgeously written and produced record by our beloved A&S. In Diana's early solo days Reach Out remains a stunning recording all around and the lyric 'make the world a better place' remains poignant as well as entirely valid.

Ollie9
04-16-2022, 05:07 AM
I feel the LSTB song has to be My Man - go watch her sing it at Grammy.com Motown 60

I also agree with what’s been said about ROAT

I disagree about “My Man”. Sure it was the song that closed out LSTB, but i think it will always be best associated with M’s Fanny Brice and the mega successful Funny Girl movie.
I consider “Good Morning Heartache” the best remembered song from LSTB, being in turn the song more associated with Diana. It was also a minor hit for her.
I agree she does a great job when performing “”My Man” live, but this was a definitive list as to which six songs she would be best remembered for.

daviddh
04-16-2022, 09:28 AM
I think Diana first hits album has her top ten minus last time I saw him, I would add , the boss

jobeterob
04-16-2022, 07:32 PM
I disagree about “My Man”. Sure it was the song that closed out LSTB, but i think it will always be best associated with M’s Fanny Brice and the mega successful Funny Girl movie.
I consider “Good Morning Heartache” the best remembered song from LSTB, being in turn the song more associated with Diana. It was also a minor hit for her.
I agree she does a great job when performing “”My Man” live, but this was a definitive list as to which six songs she would be best remembered for.

God Bless The child closed out Lady.

daviddh
04-16-2022, 10:35 PM
My 6.
Ain't no mountain
Remember me
Touch me in the morning
Do you know where your going to
Love hangover
Upside down

Ollie9
04-17-2022, 03:40 AM
God Bless The child closed out Lady.

Of course it did. I guess i think of it as the big show stopper. Diana’s performance of “God Bless The Child” and “Good Morning Heartache” are for me the quintessential versions. I prefer them even to BH. I was hoping the 50th anniversary might see an expanded remaster of the soundtrack. It certainly deserves it.

Spreadinglove21
04-17-2022, 07:14 AM
Of course it did. I guess i think of it as the big show stopper. Diana’s performance of “God Bless The Child” and “Good Morning Heartache” are for me the quintessential versions. I prefer them even to BH. I was hoping the 50th anniversary might see an expanded remaster of the soundtrack. It certainly deserves it.

If it's any consolation, last month I flew Delta in the USA, and one of the movies passengers could watch was Lady Sings the Blues. I watched it and made the flight go by much faster.

Ollie9
04-17-2022, 04:39 PM
If it's any consolation, last month I flew Delta in the USA, and one of the movies passengers could watch was Lady Sings the Blues. I watched it and made the flight go by much faster.

How lucky was that. It’s generally not the kind of movie one expects on a flight. I hope you sang along. “I’m his forever mooore”. :D