PDA

View Full Version : Motown sings Curtis Mayfield.....

test

platters81
05-25-2011, 10:47 AM
i know of the Miracles version of "Monkey time"...........are there any other versions of CM tunes by Motown.....wasnt there a spat over "Cant Satisfy"......which lead to royalties being paid over to Motown for plagiarism?

reese
05-25-2011, 11:14 AM
Martha and the Vandellas recorded ITS ALRIGHT for the 1964 MOTORTOWN REVUE LIVE album.

randy_russi
05-25-2011, 11:14 AM
Martha & the Vandellas did "It's All Right" in their "live" act back in '63 and it was recorded at the Fox Theatre in Detroit
and featured on The Motortown Revue Volume 2 lp.

randy_russi
05-25-2011, 11:15 AM
Wow, reese, I guess we were posting at the same time:)

tamla617
05-25-2011, 02:13 PM
gimme your love from superfly soundtrack was done by the sisters love

mr soul
05-25-2011, 02:21 PM
I Need To Belong To Someone, Meeting Over Yonder & Sometimes I Wonder are all on the Bobby Taylor Anthology

I'm The One Who Loves You - Stevie Wonder

Monkey Time [Live] - Velvelettes

theboyfromxtown
05-25-2011, 04:16 PM
The Velvelettes sung "It's Alright" in their live performances...they did it the night of their battle with the Supremes

marv2
05-25-2011, 04:16 PM
"Amen" by the Supremes and Temptations

nabob
05-25-2011, 07:27 PM
"Amen" by the Supremes and TemptationsLong ago there was discussion and legal action where that song attributed to Curtis Mayfield was actually written by Jester Hairston [Rollie from the TV show AMEN]. If I have the story right, the Impressions version only showed Curtis Mayfield as the composer. Curtis Mayfield "stole" authorship of the song from the older gentlemen. There have been several uncomplimentary stories about his business practices over the years.

With that said, I'm taking cover after tarnishing statements about one of our brightest icons.

robb_k
05-25-2011, 09:17 PM
The melody of "I Can't Satisfy" was way too close to that of "This Old Heart of Mine [[Is Weak For You)". So a Judge ruled that songwriting credit had to be given to Holland, Dozier and Holland, and shared with Jobete Music.

platters81
05-27-2011, 06:08 AM
Long ago there was discussion and legal action where that song attributed to Curtis Mayfield was actually written by Jester Hairston [Rollie from the TV show AMEN]. If I have the story right, the Impressions version only showed Curtis Mayfield as the composer. Curtis Mayfield "stole" authorship of the song from the older gentlemen. There have been several uncomplimentary stories about his business practices over the years.

With that said, I'm taking cover after tarnishing statements about one of our brightest icons. i read in Pete Burns book that CM purchased the rights from JH some time in the mid 60ts...indeed on the original 45 [[Dec 64) its credited to Jerry Goldsmith who wrote the score for the Lilies of the Field film .......later reissues of the track state Pate/Mayfield....

uptight
06-02-2011, 08:34 PM
Yes, I remember being confused about who wrote "Amen" [[either Jester Hairston or Curtis Mayfield). When I thought it was Hairston, I looked at the original record, and it showed different name. I guess the owner[[s) of the copyright isn't necessarily the writer of the tune.