PDA

View Full Version : Confusion over Temps/Tops/Marvin Lost and Found releases

test

daviddesper
02-28-2022, 07:35 PM
I have all three of these listed for sale on Discogs but I appear to be in the minority over how to accurately list them. So I am sure you guys can help me as you always do.

All three of my copies have simple four-digit catalog numbers. The Temps are MOTD 3366, The Tops are MOTD 3365, and Marvin is MOTD 3868. However, other listings on Discogs have longer catalog numbers. Those longer numbers do not appear anywhere on my copies.

But the real confusion and the part I want to make sure I get right is about the country of origin. Everybody else has their copy listed as being a UK product, but all three of mine appear to have been manufactured right here in the good old USA.

At the present time, I therefore have mine listed separately from everyone else's for that reason. So my question is......Despite the difference in the catalog numbers, do I have the same old version as everyone else or am I correct that my three were US releases not UK?

If it makes any difference, I see that all three of mine have CRC printed below or to the side of the bar code. Could that possibly stand for Columbia Record Club and maybe that is the answer to my question. I most likely was a member at that time and I could see myself having bought these through the club, but heck that was 23 years ago and I have trouble remembering what I did last week!

Any help appreciated.

Motown Eddie
03-01-2022, 05:27 AM
It looks like CRC does stand for Columbia Record Club [and that your CDs were US releases]. They should otherwise be that same releases as those that were purchased at record shops in the US. Hope you're able to sell your discs at Discogs!

woodward
03-01-2022, 10:14 AM
Interesting observation about the CRC. Logical, makes sense. I think CRC Columbia Record Club as well as BMG BMG Direct Marketing, Inc. were the two main outlets in
the US for releases of great CDs. A while back I bought from a "reputable"seller on
discogs a copy of The Best of Percy Sledge. On the back of the CD in the upper right
hand corner it clearly states "Mfd. for BMG Direct Marketing, Inc under license. It gives
their street address and location of Indianapolis, Ind. I did some research before I bought this item and nearly all other copies available were being sold in the UK. I
opt to not buy from the UK unless a last opportunity because of the exorbitant shipping costs from there to US. It is utterly ridiculous. Anyways, I have played my Percy CD at least a dozen times and there is NO difference in my sound perception. It is outstanding in my opinion.

daviddesper
03-01-2022, 11:17 AM
Thanks guys. I will modify my listings accordingly.

johnjeb
03-01-2022, 02:01 PM
I bought my L&F CDs retail at the time of release. The longer numbers appear under the bar code, as well as next to the Motown logo on the back cover of the CD. The inside last page of the booklet also has the longer numbers for each of the L&F releases. The four numbers that you mention are contained within the longer number.

Since your bar code has "CRC" it may be that the CD is not for sale through a retailer but only through the Columbia Record Club. So, I assume, the bar code for those releases would not have the longer retail number.

I checked discogs and clicked on "More images" under the CD cover. The bar code on the back cover of the Four Tops CD indicates it is a BMG copy but it shows the longer number at the bottom next to the "M" logo. The back covers of the other L&F CD releases show the longer number under the bar code, similar to my retail purchases.

Hope this helps clear some confusion.