PDA

View Full Version : That's How You Start Over in the remix

test

Jaap
02-22-2022, 12:06 PM
"That's How You Start Over" is one of my favorite songs by Diana Ross and I always wished there was a good extended version. Now I came across this remix, which doesn't always work for me, but still keeps the excitement of the song.

https://soundcloud.com/sunburncollective/diana-ross-thats-how-your-start-over-sunburn-collective-rework

sup_fan
02-22-2022, 12:42 PM
this was a solid opener to Ross 83. the 1 complaint is that, like much of her 80s content, she just isn't as engaged as she could/should be. Katz should have pushed her a bit more vocally. the backing track is very energetic and she just doesn't quite match that level

daviddh
02-22-2022, 06:55 PM
i actually like it always been a fav

Ollie9
02-22-2022, 07:18 PM
This is a really good remix that adds a slice of funk to the overall proceedings. Ross 83 is the only album i ever play from her rca years, being one that still sounds relevant even today. Would love to hear some more remixed songs from the set, particularly “Love Will Make It Right”.

nomis
02-22-2022, 07:35 PM
In about 1987 I saw a " 7 inch vinyl of this track in a 2nd hand record store in new Zealand..it had no pic sleeve and had a red capitol label on the single..I always assumed the track got an Australian release and that copy somehow got to nz..either that or it was a promo release..I've never been able to locate anymore information on this oddity but I definitely saw it

carlo
02-22-2022, 07:44 PM
I agree that this is a great remix! Thanks for sharing, Jaap! This has also always been a top favourite song of mine from her catalogue. This particular track got me through some rough patches, as it has an uplifting message, which mixed with the gospel piano intro, uptempo beat and her vocals, you just can't go wrong :) Love how this remix extended the song and made it more danceable and funky. Love, love, love the Ross '83 album too.

TomatoTom123
02-22-2022, 09:08 PM
I think this is a great track and a nice remix! You can definitely hear that the piano is played by Michael McDonald, who also co-wrote it. :D

PeaceNHarmony
02-22-2022, 09:17 PM
WHAT a great find! THIS is why I love remixes and SD. Like most of us I always [[near) loved the cut but I did find it somewhat ... wan. In this remix Diana's vocal even sounds more spirited. Thanks for the find.

Ollie9
02-23-2022, 05:05 AM
This particular track got me through some rough patches, as it has an uplifting message, which mixed with the gospel piano intro, uptempo beat and her vocals, you just can't go wrong :) Love how this remix extended the song and made it more danceable and funky. Love, love, love the Ross '83 album too.

This has always been one of my go to songs when i need some positive reassurance. The song, and in particular this remix makes for a great mood enhancer. It’s almost impossible not to feel lifted by it’s sassy, feel good vibe and empowering message. It should perhaps have been the lead single.
Forget Ross 78, i would far sooner have a remixed and if possible further expanded ross 83 any day.
Only if i was made to choose of course.

Jaap
02-23-2022, 07:17 AM
Ross 83 is one of my favorite albums and "That's How You Start Over" was the first song I heard from it on the radio. Here in the Netherlands, the album was premiered on The Soul Show and the deejay played THYSO first and then played the 12 inch of Pieces of Ice later in the show, saying that he was obliged to do that, otherwise the record company would not have given him the new album. He did state that THYSO should have been the first single. Not sure if it would have been a hit, though. The only problem with Ross 83 is that it seems unfinished. I assume that is because the record company wanted it released before the Central Park concerts, in June, while all the other RCA albums, except RHR&B, were released in September.

Albator
02-23-2022, 07:58 AM
What I like most about Ross 83 is what makes it different from Diana's other albums.
The production is colder and her vocals are more restrained than usual.
"Love or Loneliness" is more in the usual canon, reminiscent of the Supremes.
It was good too.

sup_fan
02-23-2022, 09:25 AM
Ross 83 often gets overlooked or some fans tended to dislike the style and approach. I will say that it is probably the most cohesive of our RCA albums. going back to it now, sure it heavy on the 80s synthesizers. but that was a style popular then. it's an album that i enjoy more as a collection rather than individual tracks.

there are some songs that i often include on playlists - like That's How You Start Over. and also You Do It. and i do like Girls lolol

Albator
02-23-2022, 10:13 AM
Ross 83 often gets overlooked or some fans tended to dislike the style and approach. I will say that it is probably the most cohesive of our RCA albums. going back to it now, sure it heavy on the 80s synthesizers. but that was a style popular then. it's an album that i enjoy more as a collection rather than individual tracks.

there are some songs that i often include on playlists - like That's How You Start Over. and also You Do It. and i do like Girls lololmaybe, the same for me, I love it as a whole cohesive album.

carlo
02-23-2022, 11:41 AM
This has always been one of my go to songs when i need some positive reassurance. The song, and in particular this remix makes for a great mood enhancer. It’s almost impossible not to feel lifted by it’s sassy, feel good vibe and empowering message. It should perhaps have been the lead single.
Forget Ross 78, i would far sooner have a remixed and if possible further expanded ross 83 any day.
Only if i was made to choose of course.

Glad to hear it's been a song of empowerment for you too, Ollie :)

Yes, also sign me up for an expanded edition of Ross '83! For me, an expanded edition of this album would only be worth while if they could add some unreleased material or alternate mixes as bonus tracks, from Diana's RCA vault. That would be fantastic.

And yes, sup_fan...I also like "Girls"! It was one of those songs that grew on me over time.

TheMotownManiac
02-23-2022, 12:04 PM
"That's How You Start Over" is one of my favorite songs by Diana Ross and I always wished there was a good extended version. Now I came across this remix, which doesn't always work for me, but still keeps the excitement of the song.

https://soundcloud.com/sunburncollective/diana-ross-thats-how-your-start-over-sunburn-collective-rework

I always been since day one my favorite track on the album. It’s still the only song I love

Ollie9
02-23-2022, 01:32 PM
As much as i continue to enjoy the ross album, “Girls” for me remains a truly s- - t song that ruins a very decent album. The only positive thing being it was tagged onto the end, almost as an afterthought. “Fight For It”, though not particularly memorable would have been a much better album closer as it matches the vibe of the other songs.
I would love to know for sure if there really were other songs recorded for the project, or whether it’s just fan rumour and speculation.

mindful1
02-24-2022, 12:28 PM
Great remix Thanks for posting! Yes a better expanded remix ! with You Do It alternates and [[with add'tl songs if any)