PDA

View Full Version : What's Going On 'Build Up' Mix

test

bradburger
05-21-2011, 06:59 PM
Seeing as it's the 40th anniversary of Marvin's What's Going On, I thought I'd share this 'build up' mix [[which has been sitting on my hard drive for the last couple of years) of the title track which I did from the 15 track master.

http://www.zshare.net/download/9044035164520d6f/

[[Click the "download now" button)

The idea was inspired by Ralph Terrana, who I recall in a thread quite a while back said that he would like someone to do mix that built the song up.

The goal was to let the multitrack speak for itself and I used no EQ or compression [[well, only a tiny bit of compression on the drums IIRC) and make it as much of a tribute to the engineers as well as Marvin and those who played on the session.

Whether I've succeeded or not I don't know - I'll let you be the judge of that.

Cheers

Paul

gary_james
05-23-2011, 11:16 AM
Paul, I love this. Nice job and kudos for doing it tastefully and keeping it pure. I do miss the Sax on the intro though, but I got a chill on the outro!

rovereab
05-23-2011, 01:17 PM
Very good Paul, it provides the opportunity to hear the different instruments that you can overlook on the released versions.

Eamonn

soulster
05-24-2011, 02:38 AM
It's always a matter of taste, but you did solicit opinions, so...

I would have added more strings.

I would have added a touch of reverb to his vocal.

And, a technical bit of advice: It's always good to leave a bit of silence at the start of a file and at the end. It's a rookie thing to start off a file right at the beginning of the music, and the professional standard is to add one second of silence at the intro. I like to leave .04 - .05 seconds at the intro, and two at the end.

Otherwise, nice job! WGO is the one multitrack I have not been able to get a hold of. I do have "Mercy Mercy Me [[The Ecology)". I have made a couple of mixes, but I think i'll give it another go when I get some lazy time and am in the mood.

ralpht
05-24-2011, 11:47 AM
Brad,
I can't seem to download the song, so I will have to reserve any comments. In all honesty, I don't remember discussing this song with you, since I have always been very fond of brother Russ's mix.

soulster
05-24-2011, 04:24 PM
I have always been very fond of brother Russ's mix.

And, he did a fine job! I think it's a shame Russ isn't normally mentioned when people talk of legendary recording engineers.

ralpht
05-24-2011, 05:58 PM
He's had his share of accolades, Soul. Russ is the type of guy that doesn't blow his own horn. But, as his brother, I put him in the top 5 of all time great recording engineers.

robbert
05-25-2011, 09:48 PM
Brad, this was a treat to listen to. Could've been much longer IMHO.
Talking about building up a song: compare a track from Marvin's MPG album: Seek And You Shall Find. Mwah!

midnightman
05-28-2011, 09:53 AM
I'll take a listen later if the limit hasn't been reached! LOL I heard the multi-track of WGO - great stuff.