PDA

View Full Version : Philly Soul Documentary Set to Give Never-Before-Seen Look at ‘The Mighty Three’

test

Motown Eddie
02-02-2022, 12:29 PM
From rollingstone.com-
The story of Philly Soul as told by its three greatest hitmakers will be the focus of an upcoming documentary produced by Alex Gibney [[https://www.rollingstone.com/t/alex-gibney/). The Sound of Philadelphia will feature never-before-seen footage and exclusive interviews with Kenny Gamble, Leon Huff, and Thom Bell, a.k.a. “the Mighty Three” who founded Philadelphia International Records and served as songwriters and producers for artists like the O’Jays, the Spinners, the Jacksons, and many more.
Gamble, Huff, and Bell said in a statement, “After six decades, we are incredibly proud to finally share our life stories with the world and showcase all the hard work that has gone into creating this great music… Our longtime fans and new fans will get a unique look into the creation of the Sound of Philadelphia with the themes of empowerment and love, to ‘people all over the world’ as we’ve always had a ‘Message in our Music!!!’”
Sam Pollard will direct The Sound of Philadelphia, a collaboration between Warner Music Entertainment, Warner Chappell Music, Imagine Documentaries and Gibney’s Jigsaw Productions.

Gibney said in a statement, “I am thrilled to co-produce this film about these exceptional songwriters, whose words and music continue to have an impact. And pleased to be working again with my friend Sam Pollard — who produced and edited Sinatra: All or Nothing At All, a fine director with a profound understanding of music.”

Pollard added: “I was absolutely delighted when I was approached about directing a feature-length doc about the extraordinary music creators Kenny Gamble, Leon Huff, and Thom Bell. They made superstars out of artists that previously toiled in obscurity, through songs of peace, love, social conscience, and turmoil. I’m looking forward to working with my dear friend Alex Gibney again as we shine a light on the powerful, sophisticated, and timeless ‘Sound of Philadelphia.’”

https://www.rollingstone.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/Gamble-and-Huff_Press-Photo-2022-Photo-Credit_-Philadelphia-International-Records.jpg?resize=1800,1200&w=450

MIKEW-UK
02-02-2022, 02:32 PM
Now this looks seriously interesting!

TomatoTom123
02-02-2022, 08:55 PM
I didn’t know that Thom Bell was actually a founder of Philadelphia International!

jack020
02-03-2022, 06:16 AM
Really looking 4ward to this and the third istallment of the Get On Board The Soultrain boxset.

milven
02-03-2022, 10:32 AM
I didn’t know that Thom Bell was actually a founder of Philadelphia International!

I didn't know that either, and I kind of question it. I always thought it was G & H who founded PI. The publishing company Mighty Three Music was founded by the three of them. But isn't that a separate company similar to Jobette at Motown? When Berry sold Motown, he retained all the publishing rights because he did not sell Jobette with Motown and was sole owner of Jobette.

So does anyone know? I am looking forward to seeing this documentary

Motown Eddie
02-03-2022, 11:45 AM
I didn't know that either, and I kind of question it. I always thought it was G & H who founded PI. The publishing company Mighty Three Music was founded by the three of them. But isn't that a separate company similar to Jobette at Motown? When Berry sold Motown, he retained all the publishing rights because he did not sell Jobette with Motown and was sole owner of Jobette.

So does anyone know? I am looking forward to seeing this documentary

Yes; Mighty Three Publishing/Assorted Music was a separate company to Philadelphia International Records [which was acquired by Warnell Chappell Music in 1990]. And PIR's catalog is currently owned by Sony Music. The upcoming documentary should provide more information about the inner workings of PIR.

Boogiedown
02-04-2022, 01:02 PM
'Founded' might be the wrong word. The earliest [?] Mighty Three release stating itself as such that I see on Discogs is from 1973.... and PI was already well on its way. I've always wondered where Bobby Martin fit into this, or rather why he's absent ....
When Thom Bell was becoming super hot he must've [might have] approached G&H with a joint publishing idea that included him.
Always liked the elephants logo.

This is one to watch !!:cool:

mr_june
02-04-2022, 04:09 PM
Long, long overdue but finally! Why did this take so long? I've been looking for a Philly documentary for years. So many of the players are no longer here to tell their part. They did pick a good time though as TSOP is celebrating 50 years of music. I can't wait and I hope they do a great job of bringing this story out. I also hope this story takes more than the usual one hour. There is too much to tell for that.

mr_june
02-08-2022, 03:14 PM
Really looking 4ward to this and the third istallment of the Get On Board The Soultrain boxset.

Any word as to when it is due out?

Motown Eddie
02-08-2022, 05:22 PM
Any word as to when it is due out?

Unfortunately, there is no due date as yet for The Sound Of Philadelphia. I'm sure as soon as there one, someone from this forum will find it & share it with us. I'm Really Looking Forward to this film and I hope it comes out as promised.

mr_june
02-09-2022, 02:25 PM
Unfortunately, there is no due date as yet for The Sound Of Philadelphia. I'm sure as soon as there one, someone from this forum will find it & share it with us. I'm Really Looking Forward to this film and I hope it comes out as promised.

Me too and thanks for the reply Eddie.